Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I left Archeage and returned to WoW...

NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257

...and, fact of the matter is, I'm not enjoying WoD as much as I expected.

I think the expansion has a lot to offer and you can tell a lot of work has been put into it, but I just don´t feel logging into WoW like I used to.

Been playing WoW since launch, and pretty much on and off these past few years and I just thought to myself : "Hell, I´m just getting to old for this s%&t!"

But the time I´ve spent in Archeage, I really enjoyed it a lot quite frankly. Sure, I read all the forums giving hell to Triton Worlds for ruining the game for various reasons, but I didn't experience most of them since I mostly played solo except for the land hacking exploit which made me furious.

As in any mmo, I think the game needs some time to get ironed out and be a more balanced experience for legit players, or at least I hope so, since I think Archeage brings a different taste to the mmo world compared to other titles that´s been launched for the past years.

So, I´m curious to know If other players that left the game are considering going back and think that WoW, or any other mmo for that matter, just doesn't offer as much fun and have so many things to do as Archeage.

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Just FYI, it's Trion Worlds... and they only host/market the game... XL Games is the company that makes the game and determines just and how you get to play it.

The game itself is what it is... there is no ironing out because what the NA/EU crowd get is a delayed release of what the Koreans get... pretty much code for code sans translation.  Meaning, all the problems happening here, have already happened there.  Instead of improving upon their mistakes in Korea, they just feed Trion the same code they used, without fixes.  Hence the same problems yield their ugly head over here until patched... and damn if there isn't a patch... because it was already written for the Korean version and long since implemented.  Get the picture?

The game is fun.  It has a lot of problems.  It will continue to have a lot of problems.  If you can see past all the problems and still find the game fun, have fun.   That's the whole point of even playing games.  Just be prepared for constant bickering about the game and long waits for any real change to happen, if at all.

Your title should read "I have left Wow and returned to AA" because that is what you did.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

WoW is for the Progression Raider. Archeage is for the capitalist / economist.

Archeage has significantly more grind, but one could argue that is what keeps the game interesting. WoW has PvE Content that once you play through once, about half the population will leave. I think WoW used to have reasons to stick around, but in WoD there is very little reason once you've played through the content unless you really like Raiding, or minigames such as Pet battles are enough to keep you playing.

I too get the feeling of "I am too old for this" when playing WoW and I am not even that old lol. I am 26 but I feel the game is really meant for 14-16 year olds. I know it isn't... but I can't help but feel that way.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Just FYI, it's Trion Worlds... and they only host/market the game... XL Games is the company that makes the game and determines just and how you get to play it.

The game itself is what it is... there is no ironing out because what the NA/EU crowd get is a delayed release of what the Koreans get... pretty much code for code sans translation.  Meaning, all the problems happening here, have already happened there.  Instead of improving upon their mistakes in Korea, they just feed Trion the same code they used, without fixes.  Hence the same problems yield their ugly head over here until patched... and damn if there isn't a patch... because it was already written for the Korean version and long since implemented.  Get the picture?

The game is fun.  It has a lot of problems.  It will continue to have a lot of problems.  If you can see past all the problems and still find the game fun, have fun.   That's the whole point of even playing games.  Just be prepared for constant bickering about the game and long waits for any real change to happen, if at all.

Your title should read "I have left Wow and returned to AA" because that is what you did.

You are quite correct. Accept the game for what it is, because it is not going to change significantly. If you enjoy the game enough under those circumstances, there's no problem.

I enjoyed AA for a while, but the hacking, exploiting and goldselling eventually soured it for me. Some people have higher tolerances than others.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by DMKano
    My advice is to play multiple MMOs. I play ArcheAge and EQ1 and D3, PoE, PS2, AoC, TSW, Aion.. and on and on. As new content or patches get released I go to those games. But playing a single game exclusively for months or years... yeah last time I did that was 2002.

This argument is exactly what is wrong with gamers today. You play all the free games you can and never pay anything. How is that a good thing?

Congrats on leaving Archeage, that game is a POS and deserves to be empty.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Originally posted by Zarf42
    My advice is to play multiple MMOs. I play ArcheAge and EQ1 and D3, PoE, PS2, AoC, TSW, Aion.. and on and on. As new content or patches get released I go to those games. But playing a single game exclusively for months or years... yeah last time I did that was 2002.

This argument is exactly what is wrong with gamers today. You play all the free games you can and never pay anything. How is that a good thing?

So you are saying you like to eat the same ice cream and never desire or want to try anything else?  I don't like playing the same game for more then a few months because you run out of things to do.  When a game requires a sub we pay the sub and play for a month or two then cancel it and play something else.  We are spending money just not being stupid about it and pouring our lives into the same thing different day.  If everyone just played 1 game and never switched to other games then they wouldn't develop new games and Consoles wouldn't even exist.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Who said they don't pay anything? What part of that statement even implied that? Right now I've been going between ESO and SWTOR (been a while of that actually about 4-5months) I pay for both, if I go back to AOC I'll pay for that as well as that way I can access the expansion content as well as alternate advancement. Just because I may switch games doesn't mean I don't pay for them.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by filmoret

So you are saying you like to eat the same ice cream and never desire or want to try anything else?  I don't like playing the same game for more then a few months because you run out of things to do.  When a game requires a sub we pay the sub and play for a month or two then cancel it and play something else.  We are spending money just not being stupid about it and pouring our lives into the same thing different day.  If everyone just played 1 game and never switched to other games then they wouldn't develop new games and Consoles wouldn't even exist.

No. I play lots of different games. But my main goal isn't to play video for hours a day a not spend any money.

This guy makes the same argument in lots of threads. Play games and don't spend money.

It's like only going to Costco so you can get free samples and then going to a different Costco just to get free samples, meanwhile never spending a cent on food.

Originally posted by Distopia

Who said they don't pay anything? What part of that statement even implied that? Right now I've been going between ESO and SWTOR (been a while of that actually about 4-5months) I pay for both, if I go back to AOC I'll pay for that as well as that way I can access the expansion content as well as alternate advancement. Just because I may switch games doesn't mean I don't pay for them.

Becasue DMKano has an entire thread dedicated to this topic and it's about switching between games and not spending money. This has nothing to do with anyone else playing multiple games.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Sounds like you are defending Trion,however it was Trion who claimed the delay was because TRION was making it NA ready.That does not sound to me like XLgames that sounds like Trion was calling the shots on what got released over here OR they were simply lying,either way does not make Trion look good.

If Trion decided the game was ready and what they wanted to launch on the NA public it is 100% Trion's fault not XLgames.Fact is what is acceptable over there might not be over here,that is Trion's job to communicate with XL and get it right.

IDK maybe i lost my memory but was it not just 2 days ago Trion was bragging about how they told XLgames about some cash shop and it was Trion who got it changed?This again sounds like Trion has a LOT of input as to how the game gets run.

Personally i played Rift,it was nothing but a very simple copy paste design from every other mmorpg,linear questing markers,hand holding  ,so not like Trion has a lot of brilliant thinking in their house either.

Personally AA is what it is ,more markers,hand holding,linear questing,not like any other developer is breaking new ground either.This is what Wow does and what 99% others are doing ,so you can't say well XL games made a bad game when you guys are playing the EXACT same thing everywhere else.

When Trion got that license to publish the game they acted like they did not even know the game existed,it took almost 2 months before they even said a word,yet they were spamming every website with Rift advertising.Yet now all this bragging,oh ya WE got XL to change their cash shop because we are in touch with the community,ya sure looked like that from day 1 .../not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia

Becasue DMKano has an entire thread dedicated to this topic and it's about switching between games and not spending money. This has nothing to do with anyone else playing multiple games.

Fair enough, in that case (if that's what he was arguing behalf of in that thread) I do agree. I'd go as far as to say it's those types of gamers that are responsible for the ever growing expansion of cash-shops and why selling game-play is becoming more of a thing in them, moving past selling convenience and cosmetics.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Sounds like you are defending Trion,however it was Trion who claimed the delay was because TRION was making it NA ready.That does not sound to me like XLgames that sounds like Trion was calling the shots on what got released over here OR they were simply lying,either way does not make Trion look good.

If Trion decided the game was ready and what they wanted to launch on the NA public it is 100% Trion's fault not XLgames.Fact is what is acceptable over there might not be over here,that is Trion's job to communicate with XL and get it right.

IDK maybe i lost my memory but was it not just 2 days ago Trion was bragging about how they told XLgames about some cash shop and it was Trion who got it changed?This again sounds like Trion has a LOT of input as to how the game gets run.

Personally i played Rift,it was nothing but a very simple copy paste design from every other mmorpg,linear questing markers,hand holding  ,so not like Trion has a lot of brilliant thinking in their house either.

Personally AA is what it is ,more markers,hand holding,linear questing,not like any other developer is breaking new ground either.This is what Wow does and what 99% others are doing ,so you can't say well XL games made a bad game when you guys are playing the EXACT same thing everywhere else.

When Trion got that license to publish the game they acted like they did not even know the game existed,it took almost 2 months before they even said a word,yet they were spamming every website with Rift advertising.Yet now all this bragging,oh ya WE got XL to change their cash shop because we are in touch with the community,ya sure looked like that from day 1 .../not.

Havent experienced any "linearity" in Archeage except the questline that leads you through the regions as extended tutorial.

I experience options, in fact  so many of them never seen in any MMORPG probably not even in the "big sandboxes" of the past.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by farbege

I experience options, in fact  so many of them never seen in any MMORPG probably not even in the "big sandboxes" of the past.

What is an example of "big sandbox of the past", please?

Originally posted by Adjuvant1

UO, SWG ...

UO, SWG ...

In UO and SWG you could craft items and sell them to other players and role players could create their own storylines. Guess which other games you can do this? All of them. By your definition, every game is a sandbox. The word "sandbox" loses all meaning.

UO, SWG ...

In UO and SWG you could craft items and sell them to other players and role players could create their own storylines. Guess which other games you can do this? All of them. By your definition, every game is a sandbox. The word "sandbox" loses all meaning.

Doubt you know yourself what UO or SWG was like after such a comment.

Also i didn't mentioned any definition yet.

If you noticed my reply was refering to "linear  gameplay" comment of the poster i replied to.

This is just one characteristic of many.  

Linear gameplay is that of WoW for example. 

So if you would ask me which is not a sandbox like Archeage i would have said ..WoW.    

You see yourself  UO, SWG dont fit together with WoW which can't be labeld as "big sandbox of the past". 

As a hint for another characteristic : Seamless persistant world.

UO had that. SWG had that. Archage has it now.

WoW lacks it.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Trading up one POS for another. Gratz?

UO, SWG ...

If you noticed my reply was refering to "linear  gameplay" comment of the poster i replied to.

So if you would ask me whoch is not a sandbox like Archeage i would have said ..WoW.    

Every mmo has linear gameplay. Walk up to a level 40 player in pvp as a level 5 and see what happens. Even games that advertise "no levels" like TSW have "levels". Single player RPG's? Run your starting Skyrim character straight into Krosis and see what happens. It's an illusion. People call it "sand box", but you're being tricked into participating in "role play". At best, you can call it "free roaming", but that's a misnomer, too. You had to ride on "tracks" (albeit how wide) to get to a point you could participate in the larger game.

UO, SWG ...

So if you would ask me whoch is not a sandbox like Archeage i would have said ..WoW.    

Every mmo has linear gameplay. Walk up to a level 40 player in pvp as a level 5 and see what happens. Even games that advertise "no levels" like TSW have "levels". Single player RPG's? Run your starting Skyrim character straight into Krosis and see what happens. It's an illusion. People call it "sand box", but you're being tricked into participating in "role play". At best, you can call it "free roaming", but that's a misnomer, too. You had to ride on "tracks" (albeit how wide) to get to a point you could participate in the larger game.

Edited to mention another characteristic  then :

Seamless persistant world.

WoW lacks it.

A seamless persistant world offers the same content for every partcipant  player IN THE SAME TIME AND LOCATION.

Like literally the word "sandbox" describes, every particiapnt can see the "sand" of other player and interact with him.

Example : sandbox housing of Archeage. 

The house is potentialy there for every player on the server to visit it. 

UO, SWG ...

Edited to mention another characteristic  then :

Seamless persistant world.

WoW lacks it.

A seamless persistant world offers the same content for every partcipant  player IN THE SAME TIME AND LOCATION.

Like literally the word "sandbox" describes, every particiapnt can see the "sand" of other player and interact with him.

I'm going to drop this, not just because it's off topic, but because I don't understand what you're on about and I'm risking becoming condescending.

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257

"Your title should read "I have left Wow and returned to AA" because that is what you did."

Actually no, still subbed to WoW, but I am considering going back to Archeage since It´s the game I had more fun in last couple of years. And yes, tks for correcting me, I meant Trion Worlds.

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257

"My advice is to play multiple MMOs."

Yes, during WoW´s 3rd expansion WOTLK, I did not play any other mmo or other game for that matter.

A little rotation is a good idea, but I only have time to play 1 mmo at a time, since everyone knows that these type of games are very time consuming, at least if you want to explore most of the content.

So after my WoW sub is up, I am considering going patron again at Archeage, since the F2P model is more like a taste of the product.

Also in my list is SWTOR and ESO, which I quite enjoyed and forgot WoW while I was playing.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I also try to escape ArcheAge then and when, but i always fall back to my property, my Guild and friends, my virtual life in this totally incredible world.

Im also a legit player, paying Patron monthly and that must be enuff, so im not very happy about the politics around the game.

But nontheless, once online, im inchar and have a real virtual living and breathing world.

Tried to get back to SWTOR but meh, Hero engine made me leave before.

Then i bought a 28.- Starterpack for Star Citizen, thats some welcome change to the virtual life in ArcheAge.

ArcheAge will keep me busy for years, i have great fun in the game and growing slowly but pretty stable ahead.

To me its fun fun fun ^^

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I enjoyed the leveling experience in WOD but after that the game really took a dive for me. They have completely destroyed crafting. You can basically make anything you want in your own garrison or buy it for cheap from someone else. I guess I am getting too old for the raiding scene, I very quickly got tired all the redbull fed epeen rage that goes on amongst the denizens of the raiding dungeons. Hell, even raiding itself has worn out for me, I just dont want to worry about dodging lakes of fire and tornadoes and green slime anymore. I feel like an old grand pappy out on a modern day highway in a horse and buggy. I just tried ESO but that is too much of a single player game. I guess I will keep on looking. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I left AA, and went to WoW.  I didn't leave AA because of the litany of complaints people have.  I rather enjoyed it.  Just needed a break for a while.  Played WoW for a couple of weeks, and just couldn't get into it anymore.  I've decided to play a couple of MMOs, so that I can bounce back and forth.  I've chosen Uncharted Waters (F2P), GW2 (B2P), and ESO for my sub game.

We'll see how it goes.

I self identify as a monkey.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

UO, SWG ...

You never played either of these games. You my friend are what we call an mmo noob.