Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is EVE

2»

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    That was an absolutely brilliant video to advertise the game. Made me really want to play but I know the reality for a new player in EvE so gonna have to pass but really liked it though,that bears repeating.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Yes, a brilliant video. That *IS* EvE. There are also a times of quiet nothingness but still that video captures EvE very well. I still miss it.

and it captures why I sucked at it so bad. Not butthurt just honesty.

Have fun Ladies and Gents with this if you can.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    bought EvE on steam for $5 years ago.  Played about two hours and gave up.  this trailer just made download the game again and sign up for a month.  Going to give it a true shot. More companies should ditch the cinematics and just show people actually having fun.  
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I don't really care for Eve but that's a nice video.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    bought EvE on steam for $5 years ago.  Played about two hours and gave up.  this trailer just made download the game again and sign up for a month.  Going to give it a true shot. More companies should ditch the cinematics and just show people actually having fun.  

Except they dont in this case like the OP quoted before

"CCP_Prawn-
    All the scenes were hand animated, but were based on the original footage (staring at overviews or asking some people who were there for more info) wherever possible. It's rendered completely in-engine to try and keep it as authentic as it could be, but with a touch of creative license of course. :) "

You could probably have a TS recording of a 2v2 Mario Cart game and people will think it is the best game ever. While you are on youtube search for "eve pvp" because then you will know what This Is Eve really means. Tiny dots (ships) some animations connecting them (shots) and felt 90% of the screen is filled with chat, radar(info) and buttons to press.

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

• CalgorCalgor Member Posts: 106

My biggest issue with this game is the fact that while it is a massive sandbox, unless you wanna join some mega corp, and happen to have at least a couple years worth of skill under your belt, you have a very small box you are allowed to play in. Low sec? Better be watching your ass ALL the time and no amount of ass watching can protect you from gatecampers. Null sec? ROFLMAO, oh that was funny. Nullsec without a massive corp and/or 2-3 years worth of skills lol, whoo I crack me up.

Even doing something as minor as high sec mining doesn't mean you won't be ganked on a fairly regular basis. My friend and I had a handful of accounts each and were doing high sec mining and decided to go to the middle of nowhere to lessen the chance of getting ganked...till they made it an invasion spot and a wormhole opened that we decided to try to mine in.

Also I was never a fan of the fact it wasn't about time played, it was about time payed. It didn't matter if you played 10 hours a day or if you never even logged in for months other than to set skills training, everyone got skills at the exact same rate. So you couldn't burn the midnight oil for a while to catch up to someone, they started paying before you did and nothing was going to change unless they unsubbed.

I get why people play it, and am glad they are having fun, but to me its like PVP servers in other MMOs, run with a bigger crowd than the others or its grief city and you might as well find something else to play. Its a shame too cause I loved the ship building and the massive universe (and I am at no point in my rambling saying they should change the game for players like me as I am not the target audience) but there is no point going back as I know how it will end. With me raging quitting over losing a 4+ billion isk ship to gate campers, or because we lost our little mining fleet of an Orca and a bunch of Covetors because we dared to stick our nose out of our little box we found to play in.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    That video is awesome.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by Calgor
    My biggest issue with this game is the fact that while it is a massive sandbox, unless you wanna join some mega corp, and happen to have at least a couple years worth of skill under your belt, you have a very small box you are allowed to play in. Low sec? Better be watching your ass ALL the time and no amount of ass watching can protect you from gatecampers. Null sec? ROFLMAO, oh that was funny. Nullsec without a massive corp and/or 2-3 years worth of skills lol, whoo I crack me up.

Even doing something as minor as high sec mining doesn't mean you won't be ganked on a fairly regular basis. My friend and I had a handful of accounts each and were doing high sec mining and decided to go to the middle of nowhere to lessen the chance of getting ganked...till they made it an invasion spot and a wormhole opened that we decided to try to mine in.

Also I was never a fan of the fact it wasn't about time played, it was about time payed. It didn't matter if you played 10 hours a day or if you never even logged in for months other than to set skills training, everyone got skills at the exact same rate. So you couldn't burn the midnight oil for a while to catch up to someone, they started paying before you did and nothing was going to change unless they unsubbed.

I get why people play it, and am glad they are having fun, but to me its like PVP servers in other MMOs, run with a bigger crowd than the others or its grief city and you might as well find something else to play. Its a shame too cause I loved the ship building and the massive universe (and I am at no point in my rambling saying they should change the game for players like me as I am not the target audience) but there is no point going back as I know how it will end. With me raging quitting over losing a 4+ billion isk ship to gate campers, or because we lost our little mining fleet of an Orca and a bunch of Covetors because we dared to stick our nose out of our little box we found to play in.

it stands to reason you have to "level up" before your good at everything/anything. most games have a progression. eve gives the player more freedom than most games.

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by kovah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

Excellent trailer.  One of - if not the - finest they've done thus far, imo.

o7

This is not EVE because i have actually played the game. That trailer is quite misleading and i already know few players who got suckered into buying the game because of that trailer and then quit the game under one week. 

Originally posted by muffins89

it stands to reason you have to "level up" before your good at everything/anything. most games have a progression. eve gives the player more freedom than most games.

More freedom in that they don't make you go here or there for quests like most games, but that "freedom" is severely limited by how big a posse you are rolling with. Don't want to join a mega corp? Well you have a very very tiny box you can play in without getting ganked endlessly.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by muffins89   Originally posted by Calgor My biggest issue with this game is the fact that while it is a massive sandbox, unless you wanna join some mega corp, and happen to have at least a couple years worth of skill under your belt, you have a very small box you are allowed to play in. Low sec? Better be watching your ass ALL the time and no amount of ass watching can protect you from gatecampers. Null sec? ROFLMAO, oh that was funny. Nullsec without a massive corp and/or 2-3 years worth of skills lol, whoo I crack me up.   Even doing something as minor as high sec mining doesn't mean you won't be ganked on a fairly regular basis. My friend and I had a handful of accounts each and were doing high sec mining and decided to go to the middle of nowhere to lessen the chance of getting ganked...till they made it an invasion spot and a wormhole opened that we decided to try to mine in. Also I was never a fan of the fact it wasn't about time played, it was about time payed. It didn't matter if you played 10 hours a day or if you never even logged in for months other than to set skills training, everyone got skills at the exact same rate. So you couldn't burn the midnight oil for a while to catch up to someone, they started paying before you did and nothing was going to change unless they unsubbed. I get why people play it, and am glad they are having fun, but to me its like PVP servers in other MMOs, run with a bigger crowd than the others or its grief city and you might as well find something else to play. Its a shame too cause I loved the ship building and the massive universe (and I am at no point in my rambling saying they should change the game for players like me as I am not the target audience) but there is no point going back as I know how it will end. With me raging quitting over losing a 4+ billion isk ship to gate campers, or because we lost our little mining fleet of an Orca and a bunch of Covetors because we dared to stick our nose out of our little box we found to play in.
    More freedom in that they don't make you go here or there for quests like most games, but that "freedom" is severely limited by how big a posse you are rolling with. Don't want to join a mega corp? Well you have a very very tiny box you can play in without getting ganked endlessly.

maybe I just haven't encountered that yet. but then, I don't go into regions im not supposed to. if you play smart and fit your ship right. you can avoid pvp altogether.

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by mrneurosis
    Originally posted by kovah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

Excellent trailer.  One of - if not the - finest they've done thus far, imo.

o7

This is not EVE because i have actually played the game. That trailer is quite misleading and i already know few players who got suckered into buying the game because of that trailer and then quit the game under one week. 

I don't play Eve any more but I played for about two years.  You won't get into those kinds of battles if you play for one week and quit.  It took about 6 months before I was involved in large scale battles in null sec.  They were tons of fun and had exciting moments just like the video shows.  Most also had periods of boredom trying to set the battle up and lure the enemy to fight where we wanted.  Everyone tries to jockey for position so they can fight on their terms.  That chess match is part of the game.  This game is not for the instant action arcade FPS crowd unless you are looking for something different.

Originally posted by Calgor My biggest issue with this game is the fact that while it is a massive sandbox, unless you wanna join some mega corp, and happen to have at least a couple years worth of skill under your belt, you have a very small box you are allowed to play in. Low sec? Better be watching your ass ALL the time and no amount of ass watching can protect you from gatecampers. Null sec? ROFLMAO, oh that was funny. Nullsec without a massive corp and/or 2-3 years worth of skills lol, whoo I crack me up.   Even doing something as minor as high sec mining doesn't mean you won't be ganked on a fairly regular basis. My friend and I had a handful of accounts each and were doing high sec mining and decided to go to the middle of nowhere to lessen the chance of getting ganked...till they made it an invasion spot and a wormhole opened that we decided to try to mine in. Also I was never a fan of the fact it wasn't about time played, it was about time payed. It didn't matter if you played 10 hours a day or if you never even logged in for months other than to set skills training, everyone got skills at the exact same rate. So you couldn't burn the midnight oil for a while to catch up to someone, they started paying before you did and nothing was going to change unless they unsubbed. I get why people play it, and am glad they are having fun, but to me its like PVP servers in other MMOs, run with a bigger crowd than the others or its grief city and you might as well find something else to play. Its a shame too cause I loved the ship building and the massive universe (and I am at no point in my rambling saying they should change the game for players like me as I am not the target audience) but there is no point going back as I know how it will end. With me raging quitting over losing a 4+ billion isk ship to gate campers, or because we lost our little mining fleet of an Orca and a bunch of Covetors because we dared to stick our nose out of our little box we found to play in.

maybe I just haven't encountered that yet. but then, I don't go into regions im not supposed to. if you play smart and fit your ship right. you can avoid pvp altogether.

Avoiding PVP altogether is almost impossible. Even something as easy as mining in High Sec zones you can, and will, eventually get ganked by squad of Catalysts. Yes if I wanted to do nothing but roll around in high sec in my 4 billion isk decked out CNR doing missions all the time I more than likely never would have lost a ship, but that just goes to prove my point about creating a safe little box for yourself to play in and not straying out from it ever.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Eve Online must be running out of noobies fodder cannon for veterans to kill when they are so desperately tring to present EVE as a "friendly game" LOL

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    Eve Online must be running out of noobies fodder cannon for veterans to kill when they are so desperately tring to present EVE as a "friendly game" LOL

Heh, you are right, thought the same thing.

Keep on rockin'!image