Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR in MMO is about to fail, or about to succeed.

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    For MMOs I feel that current VR isn't good enough. Once it's more or less the size of google glass and doesn't cause motion sickness issues then maybe we can discuss the topic with some seriousness. 
  • ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    I don't think VR will be accepted widely until we can build a peripheral that can produce signifigant force feedback.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

For VR to succeed, it needs the following:

1. it needs to be affordable. Remember the old nokia 3210/3310? Nokia made cellphones accessible to the masses, they were cheap as fxxx.
    2. rectify motion sickness, nausea, etc from the device. I could see they fix this, VR still in its raw form.
    3. the enforce point #2. It needs to be light enough but I dont see how they could reduce it further. As it stands, OCR weighs at around 350g. Maybe 200-250g would be possible though.
    But there other issues too, mainly health issues like eye strain from having a display so close to your eyes or epilepsy. Who knows.

I wouldn't call it a failure just yet. It all depends on if breakthrough title comes along. If not, say hi to kinect 2.0.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

VR will be a big thing in the adult industry , military and simulations like walking on another planet / flying..etc.

Games on the other hand IMO will not be a big market for it.

There are already studies about how much strain is on your neck from just looking down at your cell phone. Add this " it aint that bad " device the stress most likely multiplied a large amount. So they all need to survive the lawsuits first anyway.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    It's going to succeed down the road. We can't forget that VR is practically in its infancy at the moment. We have goals, but to achieve them requires technological advances. Chances are that we will see successful applications of AR in daily life before VR is successful in gaming however.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

They about to fail . Current VR tech will be importance for future , but it will not change how we gaming.

What we need is a way to change how we gaming , not change how we view the inside of game.

Just view don't make it reality.

I mean all the virtual reality we awe to is the freedom in control avatar's action and how much the avatar can interact with other objects in virtual . Even able to feel the virtual object 

That's what virtual reality need to be success .

Current so call VR will fail , just like how 3D glasses were .

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    We have all been to 3D movies that were not designed with 3D in mind and you walked out of the movie saying, why did I pay an extra 3 bucks to see that in 3D??????? Thats where VR in MMOs are right now. Also wearing a VR headset for 2-4hrs would get old fast. VR head sets need to get allot less bulky and need to get lighter before its worth it, then you will see game devs getting on board making a game that looks good with VR.
  • Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250

There is no much money in VR right now I can't see how it will fail. Am I the only one wondering what John Carmack is working on these days at Oculus VR?

• AmbieeAmbiee Member Posts: 4
    Right now it's too early to tell. I personally have no interest in using VR for any games. Call me crazy but I like games they way they are now, I don't need extra frills.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I think "VR in mmos" is frivolity and a fad, but I'm sure it's advancing VR tech in general for purposeful uses, as a learning aid or therapeutic device. Unfortunately, I distinctly see on the horizon malevolent uses, such as penal conditioning or other thought control. I'm not really sure where I stand on the whole concept and I think in 40 or 50 years it will become a human rights issue.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

It has already failed no one is going to game with goggles on their head, not to mention there isn't a single reasonable input system for VR. It's not like a keyboard, mouse or gamepad can be used with much success. Then there's the lag issue, the fact you need to render 8 times as many pixels to make it look good, the fact people get dizzy in them, the fact not a single large game developer I know of is making a game specific for VR.

What's more interesting is that Valve and ID Software were always heralded as innovators at the start of PC gaming.

But both Gabe from Valve, and Carmack from ID, seem to have no idea what they're doing right now.

Valve's STEAM platform has completely failed, and Carmack's Oculus has for me already failed.

I don't think those people know what they're doing, I think they were at the right spot at the right time.

Current technology in similar devices incorporates retinal scan as the input... you can highlight and select by "looking around".

edit: This video is 3 years old. The future is now, with google glass and more. It's all the same topic. What if your device is fed bad or destructive info of some kind. What if you don't know you have it on.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by DMKano

It already failed

Fact - VR causes motion sickness, nausea and headaches within as little as 15min in many people who try it (yes I am talking OR Dev kit 2)

Now consider having the screen 1in from your eyes for hours and having thr weight on your face for prolonged gaming.

Not gonna happen for MMOs in current iteration.

Now consider the fact that not being able to see your mouse and keyboard with VR on your face - deal breaker for MMOs - unless you make some utter crap simple control game,

Now just because VR sucks for MMORPGs it doesn't mean that it will fail as it has many other uses.

How can it have already failed if it hasn't happened yet? Are you crazy? You will defend Archeage against all of us that call that game a failure but call a tech that hasn't been commercially released yet a failure.

[mod edit]

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Waterlily

It has already failed no one is going to game with goggles on their head, not to mention there isn't a single reasonable input system for VR. It's not like a keyboard, mouse or gamepad can be used with much success. Then there's the lag issue, the fact you need to render 8 times as many pixels to make it look good, the fact people get dizzy in them, the fact not a single large game developer I know of is making a game specific for VR.

What's more interesting is that Valve and ID Software were always heralded as innovators at the start of PC gaming.

But both Gabe from Valve, and Carmack from ID, seem to have no idea what they're doing right now.

Valve's STEAM platform has completely failed, and Carmack's Oculus has for me already failed.

I don't think those people know what they're doing, I think they were at the right spot at the right time.

Seems too easy to point the fault of others. Consider this a challenge,  since none of these two gentlemen (you listed) have a single clue, how would you make VR work for MMOs?

Originally posted by yaminsux

Seems too easy to point the fault of others. Consider this a challenge,  since none of these two gentlemen (you listed) have a single clue, how would you make VR work for MMOs?

I don't believe VR will succeed no matter who makes it, at least not for something as mainstream as gaming.

It will find some industry use cases, but other than that, it will never take off.

Sony sells a type of 3D glasses that are as close to VR as you can get.

Surely, with all the interest in VR, those should be flying off the shelves.

Except no one is buying them, no one wants to use them, there is no content for them.

"Oh but, the Oculus is "true VR", Oculus will succeed because it's more real" Oh come on, give me a break, there is no market support for this except media hype.

How long has Oculus been promising this is the next best thing.......for 3 years or something now? Every time it's delayed, every time they run into "issues", in those 3 years, not a single game has implemented support, not a single issue seems to be resolved, people still get motion sick, the lag is still there, there is still no input system ready to support it, there is still no software support. In 2020, Oculus will still claim it's the next best thing.

At least with Stereoscopic 3D there was some content support, and we called that a failure. With VR there is no content support at all, and the tech is riddled with problems.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well your poll is far too limited because i think it is obvious that eventually,might be 100 years,VR will succeed.SO it becomes more  about a time line,i feel it is still yet far away.Succeed is to not simply have it in many games,it has to be done WELL,so much that it makes me buy a game i would not normally play w/.o it.When i heard ramblings of the first attempts in a game like Eve for example,i thought,oh well of course the easiest implementation out there,that is not going to win anyone over.

I do not expect to see anything really meaningful for PC gaming until at least 10+ years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Zarf42

How can it have already failed if it hasn't happened yet?

It has already 'failed', a number of times.

The current crop of VR devices isn't remotely close to being the first time this has been tried in the consumer market.

The current iteration has better tech, yes, albeit not all that much better and many of the older attempts were comparable when you take into consideration the displays and such commonly used for gaming at the time.

Though today's VR displays are lighter, the resolution higher, and the overall tech likewise better, the current iteration still suffers from many, if not all, of the problems that led to the failure of earlier devices. 

Contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion, the current crop of VR devices is much more a matter of iteration than innovation. Nothing wrong with that, it's how the bulk of progress is made, but those who don't learn from history, and all that...

Originally posted by Wizardry

Well your poll is far too limited because i think it is obvious that eventually,might be 100 years,VR will succeed.SO it becomes more  about a time line,i feel it is still yet far away.Succeed is to not simply have it in many games,it has to be done WELL,so much that it makes me buy a game i would not normally play w/.o it.When i heard ramblings of the first attempts in a game like Eve for example,i thought,oh well of course the easiest implementation out there,that is not going to win anyone over.

I do not expect to see anything really meaningful for PC gaming until at least 10+ years.

In 100 years, entertainment like VR will be very different.

In 10 years, augmented reality like google glass or similar contact lenses will be in full swing, albeit kept in check by social mores in privacy.

In 20 years electronics will be in a disposable state, like what McDonalds did to the dinner table.

In 50 years an entire domicile will have computerized aspects the same way you have electricity coursing through your walls, floor and ceiling.

In 70 years it will be very common for households to have quantum computers with data transferred via light, as common as console video games today.

What you should be looking at for 100 years from now is the psychology of virtual reality, the politics of escapism, the hows and whys some need it and some don't, and what should be the "limits". The last thing on anyone's mind is going to be "why didn't that 100 year old technology sell and will it do better today".

People mentioned price as a problem. I don't think it is merely price. People are unwilling to use those things on their head, there is no content for them, they are riddled with technical issues, there is no input system for them, and they make people motion sick.

You have been able to buy VR for Samsung phones for over a year now for under $20.

No one is buying them. If there was even the slightest interest in VR, these should be flying off the shelves, but they are not selling.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

It's going to be the next big think, much like 3D was in the 50's, err 60's, i mean 70's, no 80's!

People don't like putting dumb things on their heads to alter visuals. Audio is completely different.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by Alders

People don't like putting dumb things on their heads to alter visuals. Audio is completely different.

Yet people are using that google glass thing, so there is a market for eye accessories.. It will just be a matter of time, once a VR device can be light enough to be relatively unobtrusive

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by randomt

Originally posted by Alders

Yet people are using that google glass thing

I know a few people who have the Google Glass thing from a tech site, however, I never see them using their Google glass.

The reality is that no one uses 3D glasses, after Samsung, LG and Sony poured in billions upon billions. That should give you a hint how VR is doing.

You could make a concession and argue that it will take a minimum of X years before VR takes off, but you might as well argue that we'll soon have flying cars. It's not obvious when or if VR will ever succeed, but it's not something that will succeed in the near future.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Originally posted by DMKano

It already failed

Fact - VR causes motion sickness, nausea and headaches within as little as 15min in many people who try it (yes I am talking OR Dev kit 2)

Now consider having the screen 1in from your eyes for hours and having thr weight on your face for prolonged gaming.

Not gonna happen for MMOs in current iteration.

Now consider the fact that not being able to see your mouse and keyboard with VR on your face - deal breaker for MMOs - unless you make some utter crap simple control game,

Now just because VR sucks for MMORPGs it doesn't mean that it will fail as it has many other uses.

I am one of those people who suffer car sickness easily and this looks like it might cause me sickness. Doubt I will spend the cash to find out.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

I think VR (OR) will succeed or fail depending on if others in the tech industry adopt it and use it basically. It doesn't really matter if some people get dizzy or sick from it.

Cars and boats make some people sick and they haven't failed.

Movies theaters give some people head aches and they haven't failed. I could go on but you get the idea...

Hell take betamax and vhs, beta was better yet ultimately failed vs vhs because the industry adopted vhs as the mainstream standard.

Another thing to keep in mind is that unlike previous attempts this time VR is much much more functional and immersive.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.