Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would make the "perfect" mmo in your opinion?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    Originally posted by eyelolled

For an mmo to be perfect it would have to not give anyone any sort of indication on what to do in the game, what it's about, or what the end goal may be.  Each person would be given a character that would be created in conjuction to some basic questions,  but there would be no class defining questions. 

The player would step into the game world and have no idea what to do. No tutorial, no npc's saying "go here, and do this"  The only instructions are written on a sign where you first start. " Explore. Discover. Survive"

People would have to break away from their preconceptions, and just emerge into this world with a mind ready for fresh concepts. That is the only way a game could be perfect. To be beyond comparison.

There is really something to this idea. If I think back to my time in EQ1, and why I always remember it so fondly, it's because of this. No specific formula, no tutorial or guide, no same ofd boring mechanics hiding behind a glossy IP. It was an experience from spawning in the mage tower in Freeport and not having a clue, to figuring out that night time in Kithicor Forest was unpleasant.

It would be amazing to see someone pull off something like this in the context of an MMO.

First, Prima, twitch, youtube and google would need to go... this ain't 1999 :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AreszeroAreszero Member UncommonPosts: 20

1 - A world that evolves - You don't need a new zone every month or endless zones - You just need the zones you have to develop meaningfully and allow players to influence that change through their own activity.  It would be really awesome to see servers end up completely unique within a few years because of their various communities. 

2 - A game that is planned around a modest community.  If games weren't trying to be WoW, we could celebrate a 100k, 50k or even 25k community that pushes the genre.  Realistic expectations are important.

3 - Skill based progression (as opposed to level base).  A wolf in the wild doesn't know I con grey and my buddy who I'm adventuring with cons purple.  Sure there may be some subtle differences in bearing, but it wouldn't be "OMG kill teh nu guy!"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

A perfect MMO would be one where my interaction with the game is always different from what yours might be. Where you might want to group with me because an NPC gave me (or you), and no one else, something to do that you might also want to join in doing.

Or where you might want to join a large group of players in defending a village from 500 orcs because if we don't, that village and all the shops and your house might be burnt to the ground and all the NPCs there will be dead...forever.

Luckily there are a handful of developers who have already figured out that the key is NPC and mob behavior with independent goals and lives that we interact with in our own unique ways.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Vonatar

There is really something to this idea. If I think back to my time in EQ1, and why I always remember it so fondly, it's because of this. No specific formula, no tutorial or guide, no same ofd boring mechanics hiding behind a glossy IP. It was an experience from spawning in the mage tower in Freeport and not having a clue, to figuring out that night time in Kithicor Forest was unpleasant.

what are you talking about?

The EQ1 combat mechanics is much more boring compared to today's game. Just take wiz as an example. Just direct nuke & root ... no CD abilities, no manner management, no physics based abilities (like those in D3).

and static spawn is another very boring mechanic.

• TotoyDonutTotoyDonut Member Posts: 29
    Balanced Skills, Short Quest, No OP Items, No bugs!.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

What makes a great MMO for me?

Many classes and races to choose from and play, Open world, Fantasy/SciFi setting, decent graphics, Complexity. That's it.

Thank you.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    A D&D game set in the Forgotten Realms that actually does justice to the massive setting and huge amount of lore.  Neverwinter, which isn't a terrible game, is not a good D&D game.
  • mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114

Crafting. I am tired of playing mmos where crafting seems either tacked on, completely useless or only takes you so far and you a forced to attain top quality gear by raiding. Items also should have some sort of life span to keep the economy lively.

• gideonvaldesgideonvaldes Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Tokken

What makes a great MMO for me?

Many classes and races to choose from and play, Open world, Fantasy/SciFi setting, decent graphics, Complexity. That's it.

Thank you.

Got one of those points!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    One I made myself.

I wrote this over a year ago and my answer is still the same! 

Gawd it is hard to make a game.  The best you can hope for is to be allowed in on the team.  I only got as far as mesh coloring.  Programming is not my thing.

I spend a lot of time daydreaming when grinding in games about how I would create a game world not boring.  All I've learned is what is not boring to me is not going to be the same for someone else.  I would be happy customizing followers and wardrobe all day and actually killing mobs for five minutes a day.  I don't know if anyone would like the game I'd make except me.  Maybe sim players.  I can't get away from meshes long enough to contrive a program plot.

Lore!  How do they do it?  Insane to remember all that made up info about a character that doesn't exist really.  Omg the lore people are amazing.

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Meridian Everquest: Dark Age of Ultima Online
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• IHATETHISWEBSITEIHATETHISWEBSITE Member Posts: 16

Real life with option to save and load

Also I would prefer ENB  and Flawless female texture skin with big bottom  with 3d Public hair

Oh also Alternative Life mod 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    openworld sandbox with full loot pvp :) if its done right thats all i need haha
  • HEKKRAHEKKRA Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Darkfall Online with balance updates/tweaks and marketing done right.
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

PVE centric with open world, only instances are for story/game world lore, maybe even some side stuff, but absolutely NO instances for the main parts of game.

A death penalty, one in which you should be stung a little for dieing. Death now is like a free teleport.

A good trinity system, I know I am old fashion and these young pups like playing solo in groups, but a good trinity system actually makes people in groups work together as a TEAM, to accomplish something.  FFXI in its early days was a prime example of teamwork. So use something like that.

I for sure HATE random end game gear drops. Devs need to reward people for grinding. Code a drop counter in the code, Example: say a boss has a 1/100 chance to drop item, well you kill that boss one time and dont get drop, your next chance when killing that boss is 1/99 chance, it keeps declining until you get it. Yes its still random, but at least you know you are getting better odds with every kill.

Once PVE is polished up nicely, then we can do something with PVP. Maybe different classes for PvP. Maybe a whole different set of gear for PvP, but PVP without a doubt destroys a good PVE trinity system. You cant have both.  PVP needs balance where as PVE trinity system Classes need to be far from balanced so classes can come together to cover each others weakness. I think maybe introducing PVP only gear to balance weaknesses is probably the best option. So people wouldnt abuse the balancing effect of PVP gear in PVE, Monsters would not reconize the stat boosts of the PVP gear, so if a player tried to use PVP gear in PVE it would be like fighting naked. 

That is a good start for my perfect MMO.  I could write a 100 Pages on my perfect MMO.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    there is no such thing for me. All games get boring sooner or later.
  • ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    One that they only let people play that can finish a sentence without saying f*&^^

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

1. WoW's driving, avatars are grounded and not floaty. 

2. DAoC PvP, something to PvP for and in its own box. 

3. Tab Target and trinity

4. Solo and teamed content that lets you team everything

5. horizontal progression, no levels

6. Only main story would have VO

7. Something like Storybricks, a dynamic world that takes months to change. Not set on the same cycle every 20 min like GW2.

8. Mega server.

9. Equipment slots set so that best in slot 1/3 of your items come from raids, 1/3 from PvP, 1/3 from crafting. Each should have their own slots and never the 3 should cross but weapons. Weapon best in slot should come from all 3 areas. 2nd best in slots for all slots should come from all areas of the game, raids, crafting and PvP.

10. Quests should be rare, when you see one it should be an awhhh moment. Earning a new skill line (or class), epic weapon quest, things like that.

11. Housing that touches every area of gaming. Housing should touch raids, PvP, crafting in some way. Not just a house but a fully featured part of the game. One thing Wildstar did very well. 

12. Less skills are more. Much like ESO, skill depth over shear number of skills. Progressing a skill as you use it really is the way to go. Starts as a DD, level 2 skill you can pick between turning the DD to hit more targets or have an dot added to the DD, level 3 skill has again more options.

13. No PvP gear, 1 set of gear for all types of game play and specs. 

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

Features & Game Design Elements

- Community driven game: Group content is king. Solo play is available but let’s gives 70% group content to 30% solo content ratio. This also means server reputation for your character as well. Are you considered a good player? Do you ninja loot? What type of player do you project your self to the community?

- Challenge Content (Risk vs Reward): The more challenging the content you face the more reward you'll get from it. This means no hand holding. Prove your worth as a player within a group.

- Top Heavy PVE: With the primary focus on PVE content this would compliment a community driven game. (The community of which old EQ use to have).

- Adaptable In-depth Combat Mechanics (complete gear dependency omitted): Use combat mechanics were you can adapt to an intelligent AI in the middle of a fight to change your strategy. There are multiple ways to win a fight based on how you or the AI adapts to strategy.

- Open Immersive World: Little to no instances as possible. You log into a living breathing game world where your character is apart of it. Your character is not the sole hero but apart of a large community where a player could earn to be a hero.

- Explore in a Dangerous World: This ties into the above with the Open Immersive World. A world in which you can explore and find hidden items, quests, locations and landmarks. Each area is different with it's own set of challenges. The world is dangerous.

- Adventure: Instead of the monotonous tasks we have in most mmos, go on an actual adventure with a group. This could mean epic travel. This could mean the adventure/quest could take several gaming sessions to finish. Sometimes it could take a few hours. Triggered events could happen at different key points in your adventure to lead you astray from the path you've taken with your group.

- Player influence: This means players get to decide what to burn into the history of the game. Essentially create future lore of the game based on the communities influence on what they do or don't do in the game world.

- In-depth Crafting System & Item Design: Have a player driven economy within means. Allow players to have a robust crafting system (similar to vanguard or SWG). Allow players to choose from different templates to design their own gear as well as to decide what and how many stats you can have in each item piece.

- End Game Content (balanced with lower levels): Strategic challenge end game content which could include raiding. However, what you can experience with end game content you can also experience while leveling up as well.

- Minimize Instant Gratification: You earn what you get. This is not tee ball where everyone gets a trophy. Sometimes it may take time to earn something you want as a player or a group based off how challenge it may be. Time sinks could play a factor but not necessarily the reason for challenge.

- Death Penalty: A medium to harsh death penalty that encourages players that wiping is not a good thing. There are actually consequences when you wipe a group.Features & Game Design Elements

- Community driven game: Group content is king. Solo play is available but let’s gives 70% group content to 30% solo content ratio. This also means server reputation for your character as well. Are you considered a good player? Do you ninja loot? What type of player do you project your self to the community?

- Challenge Content (Risk vs Reward): The more challenging the content you face the more reward you'll get from it. This means no hand holding. Prove your worth as a player within a group.

- Top Heavy PVE: With the primary focus on PVE content this would compliment a community driven game. (The community of which old EQ use to have).

- Adaptable In-depth Combat Mechanics (complete gear dependency omitted): Use combat mechanics were you can adapt to an intelligent AI in the middle of a fight to change your strategy. There are multiple ways to win a fight based on how you or the AI adapts to strategy.

- Open Immersive World: Little to no instances as possible. You log into a living breathing game world where your character is apart of it. Your character is not the sole hero but apart of a large community where a player could earn to be a hero.

- Explore in a Dangerous World: This ties into the above with the Open Immersive World. A world in which you can explore and find hidden items, quests, locations and landmarks. Each area is different with it's own set of challenges. The world is dangerous.

- Adventure: Instead of the monotonous tasks we have in most mmos, go on an actual adventure with a group. This could mean epic travel. This could mean the adventure/quest could take several gaming sessions to finish. Sometimes it could take a few hours. Triggered events could happen at different key points in your adventure to lead you astray from the path you've taken with your group.

- Player influence: This means players get to decide what to burn into the history of the game. Essentially create future lore of the game based on the communities influence on what they do or don't do in the game world.

- In-depth Crafting System & Item Design: Have a player driven economy within means. Allow players to have a robust crafting system (similar to vanguard or SWG). Allow players to choose from different templates to design their own gear as well as to decide what and how many stats you can have in each item piece.

- End Game Content (balanced with lower levels): Strategic challenge end game content which could include raiding. However, what you can experience with end game content you can also experience while leveling up as well.

- Minimize Instant Gratification: You earn what you get. This is not tee ball where everyone gets a trophy. Sometimes it may take time to earn something you want as a player or a group based off how challenge it may be. Time sinks could play a factor but not necessarily the reason for challenge.

- Death Penalty: A medium to harsh death penalty that encourages players that wiping is not a good thing. There are actually consequences when you wipe a group.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    • UO or SWG housing with the ability to place it in the open world
    • Shadowbane castle or keep building
    • Skill based advancement or multi-classing (SWG, Shadowbane, or DDO)
      • I would prefer a system where I can choose multiple trees/classes, and then choose and advance the abilities I want out of those trees/classes
    • Hybrid Shadowbane/DAOC PVP
    • Minimal to no instancing.
      • Seemless world wouldn't hurt either.
    • Meaningful questing
      • NOT quest hub
      • Lore
      • Permanent changes
    • Fun Combat
      • Gimme Assassins Creed combat or Dark Souls
        • Better yet, give me Dark Souls Online !!!
    • Crafting
      • Give me crafting where the better you are, the better the item is going to be.  I don't want to queue up a bunch of stuff and walk away.  Basically, give me an improved version of EQ2 or FFXIV-ARR

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I am not sure that you even can make the perfect MMO but I would want something closer to pen and paper RPGs.

Shadowrn would make an awesome MMO as long as you keep the mechanics and don't add silly levels to it.

Shadowrun doesn't even have hitpoints, or to be exact it have 2 very short bars for stun (which you get from fistfights and drain when using magic(which you get if you fail a save)) and lethan damage. Your character do improve as you play and it will be harder to damage an experienced character but getting wounded is always bad, the point of combat there is to avoid getting hurt, not just standing and taking massive bashing.

It also have a level of customization even few pen and paper games, it doesn't have classes as such but you can pick a tamplate (like street samurai, rigger, decker or street schaman) or just go wild and make what you want. That might sound unbalanced but it actually work very well.

It also have a really cool magic system, vehicle customization and a lot more.

And yes, there is a browser based limited game but I want a full MMO with acceptable graphics and a good engine.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I take it all back.  Exalted MMO

:)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • gideonvaldesgideonvaldes Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Eronakis

Features & Game Design Elements

- Death Penalty: A medium to harsh death penalty that encourages players that wiping is not a good thing. There are actually consequences when you wipe a group.Features & Game Design Elements

- Death Penalty: A medium to harsh death penalty that encourages players that wiping is not a good thing. There are actually consequences when you wipe a group.

It all makes sense on this one.. :)

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

A crafting-focused PvE sandpark

The "sand/sim" elements: gather resources from the ground and trees, fish, farm, crafting involves learning to play the relevant crafting minigame, not grinding XP by crafting useless crap.  Craft mainly for yourself, not to sell to others - build your own house, storage, appliances that unlock branches of the crafting tech tree.  Capture and breed monsters.  Areas of the game which do not have monsters (mainly NPC towns, passage between them, and a semi-safe area around them) have no level restrictions.

The "park" elements: avatars with highly customizable appearances, world marketplace, minigames, story-rich NPC towns, instanced dungeons which scale from one player to a small group, tutorials to orient new players to the game, a user-friendly map, tons of achievements players can choose to pursue (which have rewards just like quests).

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by sunandshadow

A crafting-focused PvE sandpark

The "sand/sim" elements: gather resources from the ground and trees, fish, farm, crafting involves learning to play the relevant crafting minigame, not grinding XP by crafting useless crap.  Craft mainly for yourself, not to sell to others - build your own house, storage, appliances that unlock branches of the crafting tech tree.  Capture and breed monsters.  Areas of the game which do not have monsters (mainly NPC towns, passage between them, and a semi-safe area around them) have no level restrictions.

The "park" elements: avatars with highly customizable appearances, world marketplace, minigames, story-rich NPC towns, instanced dungeons which scale from one player to a small group, tutorials to orient new players to the game, a user-friendly map, tons of achievements players can choose to pursue (which have rewards just like quests).

Basically an updated Runescape.

Yea me too. image

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!