Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: Fans Seek to Revive the Game

124»

Comments

• Lam3zorLam3zor Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Riveran21
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

throwing Gilgamesh into a game, doesnt automatically make it Wizardry

the best thing about the Wizardy series was the class freedom and multi-classing a large variety of classes and races.  Online had none of it.  Its not a Wizardry game without a Bishop, Samurai, Ninja or Lord

Myrdynn,

I will agree with your first sentence.

However, in your next paragraph you go on to state what the best things about "Wizardry" [Sir-Tech] were and said that "none of it" was in the online version of the game.

• Class Freedom and Multiclassing were part of the original release of the game.
      • You had to achieve "Soul Rank" level 5 (this is not Character Level) to be eligible to CC.
      • You were able to take up to 5 skills from your current class to your new class.
      • You could hop from class to class and take up to five skills from each of those different classes giving you a very in-depth multiclassing experience.
    • Classes and Races
      • There were a total of five races and eight classes available in Wizardry Online (Lord, Ninja, Samurai and Bishop were released in late 2013), the same exact set of races and skills as Sir-Tech's Wizardry 1-5
      • In Japan's version of the game that is still being developed (by Gamepot) they are releasing a Bard and Alchemist in early 2015.  These are classes that did not appear until Wizardry 6 (Bane of the Cosmic Forge).
      • In Japan they had also released Bows and Guns in early 2014, weapons often used by Rangers and Gadgeteers from Sir-Tech's Wizardry 6-8.
    • Wizardry Lore
      • In the dungeon "Temple of Oblivion" the lore that needed to be learned to progress through this dungeon was about the many other races in Wizardry that did not make their initial appearance, as playable races, until Wizardry 6-8 (Faerie, Lizardman, Dracon, Felpurr, Rawulf and Mook).
        • Concept Art posted by Gamepot in Japan shows that they had three other races they were considering for this game (and could always add as part of future updates):  Faerie, Felpur and Rawulf
      • In the dungeon, "Ruined Chambers", again the lore that you needed to learn in order to progress was the storyline of Wizardry 6-8 (The Dark Savant series).
        • Unfortunately the translations were very poor and things like referring to "Bela" the dragon (from Wiz 6 and 7) as "Vera" in the game was a bit irritating, but as a fan of the original series this was one of my favorite dungeons.
      • Japan has introduced a "Monster Allocation Center", which if you played Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, you'll remember that this was an important spot in that particular game.
      • Resurrection Shrines chanted, "Murmur - Pray - Chant - Invoke" every time you revived your soul.  If you failed, your body would turn to Ash and a subsequent failure would lead to permanent death.  These are all features of the first five original games created by Sir-Tech.
      • Your healing, condition and mana did not automatically restore while exploring.  You had to have potions to restore health or mana or use a camp to restore your health and mana.
      • While you were camping, you risked being attacked by roving monsters in the dungeon or opportunistic criminals and bounty hunters.  You were unable to attack within your own camp, allowing the would be attackers to gain an upper-hand.   All of this was part of the original games and the risks you took.
    Bottom line is the list goes on and on.  The game mechanics and lore were in the game, but most "Sir-Tech" zealots barely gave the game a chance to experience all of the similarities and ways that Gamepot paid homage to the creator of this once great IP.

Again - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not their own set of facts.  The above are facts about what resided in the game, juxtaposed with the game mechanics and lore that appeared in our beloved series started by Sir-Tech.

Say you don't like the game and I won't dispute it.  But please "fact check" your claims about what was and wasn't a part of this game.

huh... am i the only one who got into wizardry online and then started playing bits of the older games? (and not make it too far cause im bad at turn based xD)

• MaddOverlordMaddOverlord Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by mmrv
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by mmrv
    Originally posted by Riveran21

Incorrect information, like "Game was ported over many years after its release" is incorrect.

• Oct 2011 - Open BETA begins in JP
    • July 2012 - SOE announces they are publishing game in NA/EU
    • Oct 2012 - Closed BETA begins in NA/EU
    • Dec 2012 - Open BETA in NA/EU
    • Jan 2013 - Official Launch in NA/EU

2 years later on what was already an incredibly dated and crude graphics  engine is MANY YEARS LATE. 

It's a year and 3 months.

Oct 11 to Oct 12 is one year and three months later is Jan. 2013.

Guy really go away you are just wrong OPEN BETA literally EQUALS RELEASE specially for a free2play game lol. was was bad thus it failed nothing more to discuss. People enjoy playing good games they don;t deny the experience of playing them just because.

I'm just correcting you on your misunderstanding of how a calendar works. Nothing more or less.

I suppose more on topic, I tried Wizardry and it did feel old. Very old. But that doesn't discount that it had its fans and that they want it to continue.

Whether they can offer an appropriate business plan that makes sense and that can assure the game will not only start again but flourish, is another thing.

Thanks Sovrath.  You're absolutely right, we don't know if Suba Games will be able to come to amicable terms that make good business sense.

We certainly appreciate their effort and interest that Suba Games sees value enough to open dialogue with Gamepot.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

ok well if all those things have been added since launch, thats great.  But the game I played had some lame Lolli race, and 4 classes, thats not Wizardry, if they added it later super, but did me no good.

The camera and movement for this game was the worst I ever played in, half the time I couldn't figure out whether I was turning my character or just spinning in circles.

Alot of the stuff you listed now seems like a good start.  Maybe a revival with all of this and a PVE server would be something I could get into.

• zeldasmokeszeldasmokes Member Posts: 1

damn..

people sure are silly, for all those bitching about "clunkyness" or being linear are simply possessed by ignorance.

the game isn't supposed to be easy, it's targeting hardcore players, using a one of a kind game engine creates probably the best pvp ever.

the engine was made up of a fusion of a few scraped gamepot mmo's, the dev team still updates the came constantly, just sony the us/eu localizer just didn't care about the game.

those used to played standard mmos, on the same tired re-used to death engines with your tab targeting and number spam are going to feel awkward starting.

those who like how most mmos mindlessly insist you run here, kill/collect bullshit, then run there, then rinse and repeat deal, probably wont like this, the game isn't about to hold your hand.

i have never played any mmo that has open pvp, open loot, AND presents equal opportunity to everyone! 

no shit, a level 12 f2p could very well murder a level 20 p2p.

i mean when you die in this game, so long your not the sort to cry about it, but rather analyze what happened, you can actually learn to prevent your death.

example: oh this mage has fire arrow, and it crazy effective on me, just oneshotted me in my face, next time you see it coming maybe you move or do a little side dodge, you can actually bring gameplay xp/skill and tact in as a factor in combat!

not to mention the current u.s state with mmos, with proper advertising and server management this game could be immensely successful, especially considering there is no competitors hosting anything remotely similar here in the u.s.

again, this game wasn't designed for WoW people, where the npcs hold your hand while you rely on mind numbing objectives and your tab+hotkeys to get shit done.

and as for bein linear, really?!

you can literally do whatever tha fuq you want in that game, and still progress and level, not to mention the system for building your class more or less ensures there's basically not a soul with the same build as you.

I can see how U.S version was far more linear with so much missing content compared to jp, but still, this game being called linear when games like wow, or archeage, or really any mmo i can think of that's popular in the u.s is crazy linear!

dark almost nostalgic artwork

truly balanced pvp where playerxp/skill/tact is generally just as, if not more important than gear,stats,level.

permadeath (another thing not handled properly by soe)

open looting

criminal and jailing system/ great bountying system to

union homes

hardcore dng crawling always leaving you constantly looking over your shoulder for what could be your impending doom weather it be trap, mob, or aggressive player who is hunting you.

and the game is set up great for player interaction, not like most where it seems as if everyone is auto routing, or botting, and talk to no one due to chat overflow.

it really pushes people into there own alliances and armys fighting for different causes. 

i need to stab me some non crim players.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by zeldasmokes

those who like how most mmos mindlessly insist you run here, kill/collect bullshit, then run there, then rinse and repeat deal, probably wont like this

Are you kidding? Other than RPKing , that is the ENTIRE GAME. Each tier of levels has like 6-7 quests that you do over and over and over again until you can finally move to the next dungeon and repeat a new set of 6-7 quests. Leveling in your 40s in Lineage 2 Pre-Chaotic Throne is a cornucopia of diverse gameplay compared to Wizardry Online.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by zeldasmokes

those who like how most mmos mindlessly insist you run here, kill/collect bullshit, then run there, then rinse and repeat deal, probably wont like this

Are you kidding? Other than RPKing , that is the ENTIRE GAME. Each tier of levels has like 6-7 quests that you do over and over and over again until you can finally move to the next dungeon and repeat a new set of 6-7 quests. Leveling in your 40s in Lineage 2 Pre-Chaotic Throne is a cornucopia of diverse gameplay compared to Wizardry Online.

I have to agree.  Had to laugh at all the lists of details posters provided.  It still comes down to game play and this game has to be at or near the top of the list when it comes to mind numbing boring grinding.  How you construe this as fun is a real stretch.