Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: Fans Seek to Revive the Game

Comments

• MaddOverlordMaddOverlord Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by K4B4LY3R0
    You guys can always play Wizardry 1...

Still do and I love to play Wizardry Online, as well.  Cut my teeth on these games in the 80's.  Almost burned my house down over this game, but that's a story for another time...

Originally posted by mmrv
    Originally posted by Riveran21
    Originally posted by Superman0X
    Originally posted by Lam3zor
    fun fact: devs didnt give up on the game, theyre working on it. the publisher did after their attempt to make this work out failed(and to those who played they would know they have part in this fail. i have only seen a gm once since launch and that was on the first two weeks. after that nothing)

Incorrect, GamePot  has sold off its PC game division, and is not working only on mobile games.

Please check your facts before you post.  GamePot continues to develop and support Wizardry Online game in JP.

which is utterly meaningless to the product in NA. We all been through this garbage before the lack of respect for western audience. Game was ported over many years after its release hoping for a fast cash grab, all the updates get ported over miles behind. There is a reason it failed here  it was  an insult to western gamers,.

Just play FF14 ARR get 100 time sbetter product and respect for your money in the west also.

This is why we can't have genuine discussions, when we dismiss a "fact" as "utterly meaningless".

There is a ton of "crap" and "disingenuous" BS that has been spewed about this game with absolutely no fact checking done.  I personally blame SOE for this because as the "publisher" this was their job.  To make sure the public was properly informed about this game, but they dropped the ball almost as quickly as they opened the curtains on this game.

Incorrect information, like "Game was ported over many years after its release" is incorrect.

• Oct 2011 - Open BETA begins in JP
    • July 2012 - SOE announces they are publishing game in NA/EU
    • Oct 2012 - Closed BETA begins in NA/EU
    • Dec 2012 - Open BETA in NA/EU
    • Jan 2013 - Official Launch in NA/EU
    That is not "many years".  The developers had planned to port their game over to NA/EU regions form the start, they just needed a publisher first.  At the time that the launch occurred in Jan 2013, the content was approximately a year behind JP content but even SOE made a commitment to close that gap.  Unfortunately, as we started gaining ground the rug was pulled out from underneath us.

What's insulting, sir, are inaccurate comments from users who are either too lazy to check the facts, or worse, are purposely trying to deceive.

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    fun fact: devs didnt give up on the game, theyre working on it. the publisher did after their attempt to make this work out failed(and to those who played they would know they have part in this fail. i have only seen a gm once since launch and that was on the first two weeks. after that nothing)

Incorrect, GamePot  has sold off its PC game division, and is not working only on mobile games.

Please check your facts before you post.  GamePot continues to develop and support Wizardry Online game in JP.

which is utterly meaningless to the product in NA. We all been through this garbage before the lack of respect for western audience. Game was ported over many years after its release hoping for a fast cash grab, all the updates get ported over miles behind. There is a reason it failed here  it was  an insult to western gamers,.

Just play FF14 ARR get 100 time sbetter product and respect for your money in the west also.

This is why we can't have genuine discussions, when we dismiss a "fact" as "utterly meaningless".

There is a ton of "crap" and "disingenuous" BS that has been spewed about this game with absolutely no fact checking done.  I personally blame SOE for this because as the "publisher" this was their job.  To make sure the public was properly informed about this game, but they dropped the ball almost as quickly as they opened the curtains on this game.

Incorrect information, like "Game was ported over many years after its release" is incorrect.

That is not "many years".  The developers had planned to port their game over to NA/EU regions form the start, they just needed a publisher first.  At the time that the launch occurred in Jan 2013, the content was approximately a year behind JP content but even SOE made a commitment to close that gap.  Unfortunately, as we started gaining ground the rug was pulled out from underneath us.

What's insulting, sir, are inaccurate comments from users who are either too lazy to check the facts, or worse, are purposely trying to deceive.

2 years later on what was already an incredibly dated and crude graphics  engine is MANY YEARS LATE. We cant have a genuine discussion cause of rabid fanbois like you. Game was an insult did poorly  end of story, play ff14 if you want a good mmo.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I don't get why the MMO crowd at large hates this game so much, the comments range from terrible controls to terrible UI to terrible graphics, do aesthetics and pk, risk/reward systems mean so little to the MMO crowd in general? Cause I found the game to be quite challenging and engaging with deeper mechanics than the usual themepark fare. The game very much resembled an online version of Demon's Souls / Dark Souls.

Sorry but it just seems every MMO gamer complains about themepark and lack of challenge then when something comes out that offers challenge and deeper multiplayer systems they dump all over it. It's no wonder this genre is going nowhere.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Sure, revive it, have a blast.  More power to you.. But please take the name "Wizardry" out of the title.  That game does not do it justice.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

2 years later on what was already an incredibly dated and crude graphics  engine is MANY YEARS LATE. 

It's a year and 3 months.

Oct 11 to Oct 12 is one year and three months later is Jan. 2013.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

throwing Gilgamesh into a game, doesnt automatically make it Wizardry

the best thing about the Wizardy series was the class freedom and multi-classing a large variety of classes and races.  Online had none of it.  Its not a Wizardry game without a Bishop, Samurai, Ninja or Lord

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Originally posted by Sovrath

2 years later on what was already an incredibly dated and crude graphics  engine is MANY YEARS LATE. 

Guy really go away you are just wrong OPEN BETA literally EQUALS RELEASE specially for a free2play game lol. was was bad thus it failed nothing more to discuss. People enjoy playing good games they don;t deny the experience of playing them just because.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

GamePot has sold its PC division... just check the news for about 18 months back.

Originally posted by Jimmydean
    This game for me was actually very close to being good. I think they just didn't give it the attention it required.

It had a solid core, but was just not tailored for western audiences. For example, it was designed to be played with a controller, it had action cutscenes, the intentionally added fog to 'soften' the view, etc. These would all have been good moves for a console game in the west, but were bad choices for a PC game.

In full disclosure, I continue to play this game on the JP servers.

I enjoy the game very much and continue to do so and the entire time that I played the game I've played on my keyboard.  I'm not sure that I agree with your assessment that it was "designed" to be played with a controller.  I would be inclined to agree that the developer's included "support for" controllers.

The best example I can give of this (they never outright said it) is for you to look at the demos that they did for this game at all the tradeshows. They always used the controller. The reason for this is that they believed that this was the best way to play the game. When I asked them about this, they said that playing a game like this with a controller was very common in Japan, and they were shocked when I told them that I did not believe it would be played that way here.

SOE took on this game as part of an effort to do third party publishing (this was not the only game they tried this with). Most have already closed, the only remaining game is Dragon's Prophet. SOE has found that third party publishing does not work for them, despite others having been successful with it. 

• ToadipaToadipa Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Braindome

I don't get why the MMO crowd at large hates this game so much, the comments range from terrible controls to terrible UI to terrible graphics, do aesthetics and pk, risk/reward systems mean so little to the MMO crowd in general? Cause I found the game to be quite challenging and engaging with deeper mechanics than the usual themepark fare. The game very much resembled an online version of Demon's Souls / Dark Souls.

Sorry but it just seems every MMO gamer complains about themepark and lack of challenge then when something comes out that offers challenge and deeper multiplayer systems they dump all over it. It's no wonder this genre is going nowhere.

THIS

GamePot has sold its PC division... just check the news for about 18 months back.

Check your facts lol

The developer has already moved on, so it is unlikely that there will be any changes in the game going forward. However, it is theoretically possible for someone to bring back a copy of what was already published.

If you re talking about the "developer" as the fail company Sony Online Entertainment..... We all hope they "move on" as well. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is such a fine line from  NICHE ideas and coming to some sense.If an idea is so niche that very few want to play it,it simply will not work.This does not mean you have to bend over backwards and totally change your game but it does mean you should wake up and understand SOME change is needed.

I have my opinion  and one of the main focus of a game like this is HOW the cash shop interacts with the game AND how you implement death penalty.Even as simple as it sounds there is still a lot more to the equation.An example is do you allow zerg pvp,imo you can't ,sure there are games like Eve getting away with it,but that VERY small crowd is already in those games,you are not going to find a NEW crowd large enough to do it again.

I could also design the whole game in a way that encourages players to roam and partake in pvp.One way is to create key POI however they cannot be stagnant,they need to be random so that players cannot simply barricade an area and players have to roam the world.

Another way is by NOT creating a win/lose scenario in pvp that is something every developer misses.You create a skill point system so that even if you lose,you gain points based on the difficulty of the battle.I am thinking along the lines of old UnrealTournament and NGstats.

Example you kill a weak rated player,you gain nothing but perhaps the satisfaction of the kill,but your'e player gains no improvement in skills.The losing player being weaker would be rewarded at a higher % and actually improve their player while the unbalanced player would gain nothing.NGstats did this over a minute by minute rating system.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I thought it was just below okay. Nothing memorable, but nothing horrible. I don't understand why this can enough people for it to get revived but not city of heroes. To each their own and I wish them luck.
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Combat felt very clunky in this game, enemies had enormous health for no reason, killing one enemy as a mage early on probably took all your mana, forcing you to go heal.

The AI was absolutely horrible and cheese strats were prevalent, like being a trapper and luring bosses into a stack of traps (incredibly dumb in any game honestly)

Permadeath was an interesting gimmick but since you could buy out of it there wasn't any real danger for wallet players.

Population was incredibly small after the first dungeon.

Overall just not a good game, coming from someone who likes full loot PvP and hardcore stuff.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Whytf would anyone revive this game? If SoE was trying to insult the series they succeeded tenfold with this game.
  • kivandelkivandel Member Posts: 2

Just my 2 cents before this thread gets locked like previous one due to enormous amount of love and hate.

Originally posted by Myrdynn

the best thing about the Wizardy series was the class freedom and multi-classing a large variety of classes and races.  Online had none of it.  Its not a Wizardry game without a Bishop, Samurai, Ninja or Lord

This game already had bishop, samurai, ninja and lord at the time of SOE diversion. And this game had the best of its kind system of multiclassing and character progression. A character could inherit up to 5 skills from any of the 8 classes in their 5 inheritance skill slots. It was such a blast, taking a new person to party was stunning so often. Warriors with traps, priests with fireballs and what not! Most of people were constantly under reclass process and there were weirdest combinations. And then such 4 weirdos got together and succeeded in joint activity for everyone's benefit. It was just hilarious.

The biggest flaw for me was inability to solo make progress and the need to rely on community a lot. As a guild leader I had to jump to and fro to help guildmates clear boss lairs. But game evolves. Japanese developers already added easy difficulty mode to dungeon bosses lairs so that 2-3 lower level characters could do it not getting any loot ofc. Still to be admited to boss lair sometimes big chunks of quest resources grinding are needed so people still need to get together against full strength dungeon mosters. Now there are 7 inheritance skill slots at very high levels of your soul for VERY determined players. Oh and Soul system was the best, all your characters shared benefits and progress of your soul. Game keeps getting cooler and cooler and the fact that most of players have remembered it in such poor state as it was during beta makes this game even more deserving to shine in its brightest colours!

• GoreJessGoreJess Member Posts: 3
    LOL! Been going at it since they announced the sunset!

Guy really go away you are just wrong OPEN BETA literally EQUALS RELEASE specially for a free2play game lol. was was bad thus it failed nothing more to discuss. People enjoy playing good games they don;t deny the experience of playing them just because.

Bottom line is that your statement was not "fact based" and you were called out on it.  Now you're trying to change the point of the discussion with a slight of hand.

No one here is denying your right to say you didn't like the game.  That's fine.  I'm simply calling out the fact that some of your points were not accurate.

You are entitled to your opinion, just not your own set of facts.

P.S.  Notice how I didn't tell you to go away and call you names?  I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by kivandel

Just my 2 cents before this thread gets locked like previous one due to enormous amount of love and hate.

This game already had bishop, samurai, ninja and lord at the time of SOE diversion. And this game had the best of its kind system of multiclassing and character progression. A character could inherit up to 5 skills from any of the 8 classes in their 5 inheritance skill slots. It was such a blast, taking a new person to party was stunning so often. Warriors with traps, priests with fireballs and what not! Most of people were constantly under reclass process and there were weirdest combinations. And then such 4 weirdos got together and succeeded in joint activity for everyone's benefit. It was just hilarious.

The biggest flaw for me was inability to solo make progress and the need to rely on community a lot. As a guild leader I had to jump to and fro to help guildmates clear boss lairs. But game evolves. Japanese developers already added easy difficulty mode to dungeon bosses lairs so that 2-3 lower level characters could do it not getting any loot ofc. Still to be admited to boss lair sometimes big chunks of quest resources grinding are needed so people still need to get together against full strength dungeon mosters. Now there are 7 inheritance skill slots at very high levels of your soul for VERY determined players. Oh and Soul system was the best, all your characters shared benefits and progress of your soul. Game keeps getting cooler and cooler and the fact that most of players have remembered it in such poor state as it was during beta makes this game even more deserving to shine in its brightest colours!

The game I played in beta and at launch had a Fighter, Priest, Rogue and Mage

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I'm just correcting you on your misunderstanding of how a calendar works. Nothing more or less.

I suppose more on topic, I tried Wizardry and it did feel old. Very old. But that doesn't discount that it had its fans and that they want it to continue.

Whether they can offer an appropriate business plan that makes sense and that can assure the game will not only start again but flourish, is another thing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Lam3zorLam3zor Member UncommonPosts: 48

The game I played in beta and at launch had a Fighter, Priest, Rogue and Mage

the game HAS changed a bit since the beta... skills were changed, new classes(as stated above) were added, new dungeons and certain other features that we didnt really get to enjoy(such as ranged combat that isnt magic based)

and i do have to say that the claim that a mage is very weak or lacking early in the game is actually wrong. i have started(and played up until the first actually hard dungeon, temple of oblivion) as a mage, and progressed solo. resource management is a thing in this game, and the mage was the class that is most based on mana as a resource. on a note, once your level is high enough as a mage you'll have a hard time running out of mana :P

• kivandelkivandel Member Posts: 2
    In Japan lvl cap is already lvl 70, there are 7 inheritance skill slots instead of 5 (7th is opened only at 27th Soul Rank), lots of dungeons, some new skills and class attributes, bows and guns introduced, soul partner system and - oh my - bard and alchemist classes announced for year 2015. There's even pve server launched. I like it a lot how things evolve.

Myrdynn,

I will agree with your first sentence.

However, in your next paragraph you go on to state what the best things about "Wizardry" [Sir-Tech] were and said that "none of it" was in the online version of the game.

• Class Freedom and Multiclassing were part of the original release of the game.
      • You had to achieve "Soul Rank" level 5 (this is not Character Level) to be eligible to CC.
      • You were able to take up to 5 skills from your current class to your new class.
      • You could hop from class to class and take up to five skills from each of those different classes giving you a very in-depth multiclassing experience.
    • Classes and Races
      • There were a total of five races and eight classes available in Wizardry Online (Lord, Ninja, Samurai and Bishop were released in late 2013), the same exact set of races and skills as Sir-Tech's Wizardry 1-5
      • In Japan's version of the game that is still being developed (by Gamepot) they are releasing a Bard and Alchemist in early 2015.  These are classes that did not appear until Wizardry 6 (Bane of the Cosmic Forge).
      • In Japan they had also released Bows and Guns in early 2014, weapons often used by Rangers and Gadgeteers from Sir-Tech's Wizardry 6-8.
    • Wizardry Lore
      • In the dungeon "Temple of Oblivion" the lore that needed to be learned to progress through this dungeon was about the many other races in Wizardry that did not make their initial appearance, as playable races, until Wizardry 6-8 (Faerie, Lizardman, Dracon, Felpurr, Rawulf and Mook).
        • Concept Art posted by Gamepot in Japan shows that they had three other races they were considering for this game (and could always add as part of future updates):  Faerie, Felpur and Rawulf
      • In the dungeon, "Ruined Chambers", again the lore that you needed to learn in order to progress was the storyline of Wizardry 6-8 (The Dark Savant series).
        • Unfortunately the translations were very poor and things like referring to "Bela" the dragon (from Wiz 6 and 7) as "Vera" in the game was a bit irritating, but as a fan of the original series this was one of my favorite dungeons.
      • Japan has introduced a "Monster Allocation Center", which if you played Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, you'll remember that this was an important spot in that particular game.
      • Resurrection Shrines chanted, "Murmur - Pray - Chant - Invoke" every time you revived your soul.  If you failed, your body would turn to Ash and a subsequent failure would lead to permanent death.  These are all features of the first five original games created by Sir-Tech.
      • Your healing, condition and mana did not automatically restore while exploring.  You had to have potions to restore health or mana or use a camp to restore your health and mana.
      • While you were camping, you risked being attacked by roving monsters in the dungeon or opportunistic criminals and bounty hunters.  You were unable to attack within your own camp, allowing the would be attackers to gain an upper-hand.   All of this was part of the original games and the risks you took.
    Bottom line is the list goes on and on.  The game mechanics and lore were in the game, but most "Sir-Tech" zealots barely gave the game a chance to experience all of the similarities and ways that Gamepot paid homage to the creator of this once great IP.

Again - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not their own set of facts.  The above are facts about what resided in the game, juxtaposed with the game mechanics and lore that appeared in our beloved series started by Sir-Tech.

Say you don't like the game and I won't dispute it.  But please "fact check" your claims about what was and wasn't a part of this game.

Myrdynn,

I will agree with your first sentence.

However, in your next paragraph you go on to state what the best things about "Wizardry" [Sir-Tech] were and said that "none of it" was in the online version of the game.

• Class Freedom and Multiclassing were part of the original release of the game.
      • You had to achieve "Soul Rank" level 5 (this is not Character Level) to be eligible to CC.
      • You were able to take up to 5 skills from your current class to your new class.
      • You could hop from class to class and take up to five skills from each of those different classes giving you a very in-depth multiclassing experience.
    • Classes and Races
      • There were a total of five races and eight classes available in Wizardry Online (Lord, Ninja, Samurai and Bishop were released in late 2013), the same exact set of races and skills as Sir-Tech's Wizardry 1-5
      • In Japan's version of the game that is still being developed (by Gamepot) they are releasing a Bard and Alchemist in early 2015.  These are classes that did not appear until Wizardry 6 (Bane of the Cosmic Forge).
      • In Japan they had also released Bows and Guns in early 2014, weapons often used by Rangers and Gadgeteers from Sir-Tech's Wizardry 6-8.
    • Wizardry Lore
      • In the dungeon "Temple of Oblivion" the lore that needed to be learned to progress through this dungeon was about the many other races in Wizardry that did not make their initial appearance, as playable races, until Wizardry 6-8 (Faerie, Lizardman, Dracon, Felpurr, Rawulf and Mook).
        • Concept Art posted by Gamepot in Japan shows that they had three other races they were considering for this game (and could always add as part of future updates):  Faerie, Felpur and Rawulf
      • In the dungeon, "Ruined Chambers", again the lore that you needed to learn in order to progress was the storyline of Wizardry 6-8 (The Dark Savant series).
        • Unfortunately the translations were very poor and things like referring to "Bela" the dragon (from Wiz 6 and 7) as "Vera" in the game was a bit irritating, but as a fan of the original series this was one of my favorite dungeons.
      • Japan has introduced a "Monster Allocation Center", which if you played Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, you'll remember that this was an important spot in that particular game.
      • Resurrection Shrines chanted, "Murmur - Pray - Chant - Invoke" every time you revived your soul.  If you failed, your body would turn to Ash and a subsequent failure would lead to permanent death.  These are all features of the first five original games created by Sir-Tech.
      • Your healing, condition and mana did not automatically restore while exploring.  You had to have potions to restore health or mana or use a camp to restore your health and mana.
      • While you were camping, you risked being attacked by roving monsters in the dungeon or opportunistic criminals and bounty hunters.  You were unable to attack within your own camp, allowing the would be attackers to gain an upper-hand.   All of this was part of the original games and the risks you took.
    Bottom line is the list goes on and on.  The game mechanics and lore were in the game, but most "Sir-Tech" zealots barely gave the game a chance to experience all of the similarities and ways that Gamepot paid homage to the creator of this once great IP.

Again - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not their own set of facts.  The above are facts about what resided in the game, juxtaposed with the game mechanics and lore that appeared in our beloved series started by Sir-Tech.

Say you don't like the game and I won't dispute it.  But please "fact check" your claims about what was and wasn't a part of this game.

Couldnt have said it better!