Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Three Things We Want from SWTOR in 2015

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Star Wars: The Old Republic may never live up to the lofty expectations many had for it before it launched back in 2011, but the game seems pretty healthy despite all the initial setbacks. 2015 is a new year and with a new year comes new possibilities. Let’s take a look at some things we’d like to see in SWTOR this year.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Three Things We Want from SWTOR in 2015.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Hmmmm, having Togruta and Twi'leks might cause a problem. Since they look so similar, it could be confusing to some people. Then again, they could probably just render them different colors. It wouldn't be very costly and wouldn't take more than a couple days. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I can´t remember the source but there was a dishearting post from a question at a Cantina Convention about podracing and it will never happen, they tried it but the engine lacks (and lags) make it impossible. Also engine revamp questions to make it happen -> "resounding no"

what might happen is Pazaak and more planets/story like done previously but I think that´s about it realistically.

GSF was a nice minigame but not more, it would have been cooler if they had replaced the entire on rails travel system, add PvE zones in space you can actually travel to etc.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

With the addition of the new race Togruta and the similarities with Twi'eks, I also hope they fix the issue with some head pieces for them.

Most hoods for jedi robes are not even displayed, they just remove the lekku completely for certain helmets or they just let them clip through which looks silly.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I want it to be alive, I left it because its dead ( still got one month sub 

• Holst86Holst86 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by Dragnelus

What server are you playing on? The Progenitor(EU) is far from dead.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by immodium

With the addition of the new race Togruta and the similarities with Twi'eks, I also hope they fix the issue with some head pieces for them.

Most hoods for jedi robes are not even displayed, they just remove the lekku completely for certain helmets or they just let them clip through which looks silly.

All that being said, I would choose having the choice to play togruta over the very minor issue of the head piece graphics.  It is amazing how big of a mountain that tiny molehill has been turned into.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

Love when these people pop up.  ToR has never been dead. Do you know what dead means? 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• CalgorCalgor Member Posts: 106

For PVP I want sins/shadows and shoulder cannon to be nerfed.

Gamewise I want a new event. Even if its a one time like the Chevin Event.

more planets and the chance to "actually travel" to them via our starship. 

maybe along the way we have the option to get caught in a gsf incursion pvp/pve.

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by klash2def

Love when these people pop up.  ToR has never been dead. Do you know what dead means? 

Alive = Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas

other games just seem "dead" in comparison because of static NPCs standing around but that must be a MMO inherent design problem.

But it´s not a bad game, in fact I´m playing it regularly as preferred player but mostly for the PVP which is kinda fun.

And the class stories aren´t bad either, I just woulnd´t expect it will last and expand forever.

I´d eat my hat if there isn´t some next-gen hyper Star Wars MMO already deep in development and SWTOR fading out around 2018

Originally posted by DocBrody

other games just seem "dead" in comparison because of static NPCs standing around but that must be a MMO inherent design problem.

But it´s not a bad game, in fact I´m playing it regularly as preferred player but mostly for the PVP which is kinda fun.

And the class stories aren´t bad either, I just woulnd´t expect it will last and expand forever.

I´d eat my hat if there isn´t some next-gen hyper Star Wars MMO already deep in development and SWTOR fading out around 2018

I agree except that's not the context  of how the word "dead" was used. He/She was talking about subs. They left game because there's not enough other players ..which btw Tor has plenty of people that are sub even more who are f2p or PA

also every mmo has the same static NPC thing so there is no way he meant dead as in skyim/fallout=alive. If he meant that then lol. every mmo is dead according to that.

he was talking about subs/player count etc

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I'm subbed, had an account with this since beta. Never played much because SWTOR was not what I wanted in a Star Wars MMO... but I have learned how to play this one to maximize my enjoyment and minimize by disapproval of it's design features.

What do I want in 2015? I want two things if possible.

Most important wish: I want Electronic Arts to spend some time and money and fix the problems we are seeing ingame with ability delays. That problem needs to be addressed or SWTOR will not grow and stay healthy as a MMO. If this is all they get done in 2015 it will be a much needed improvement and I will be a much happier Player of SWTOR.

( yeah I know ... "how's it feel to want?" )

Second, I would like to see a new companion created, tested, and released, a new Droid Companion purchasable thru the Cartel Market or perhaps thru Legacy as the Ewok and HK-51 ere, but not a creepy killing machine assassin droid but a basic droid we can use like the Ship Droid but that can Fight and Heal and that we can gear up like T7. Type of Droid chassis I would like to see ...either an Astromech chassis or a bipedal model like the security droids we see on Republic side sometimes, like the one we talk to when we discover the Taris Archive. I also think this new droid should be available after we get our ships, not left as a level 50 quest out somewhere in force know where.

We will never have Droid Engineers as a Class in SWTOR (at this point I don't think there will ever be anymore classes released.), but I would like more droid companion options, droid companions available to all classes not just a few. I can understand why Scorpio was an Agent only companion, and why the Trooper gets their one of a kind droid, but with the amount of astromech droids I see in both Republic and Empire I consider it bad form that only Jedi Knights can get a astromech droid. Rude is another term that comes to mind. That way I can at least have a couple of droids in my companion team, without resorting to being a JK. a Trooper, or an Agent.

In the Star Wars fictitious Universe Droids are basically property like a Ship or Specialized Equipment.... so why can't ALL Classes purchase them as servants (Companions)?? That they are not available to all Classes seem bizarre to me.

(and no I will never purchase and/or use the Ewok companion... she irritates me already just by listening to her on Fleet. I want my droids back)

• Dyonisus77Dyonisus77 Member Posts: 5
    I recently returned to the game with my wife and am having fun after a three year absence. After playing for the past month, what would love to see is Bioware commit to expanding the class stories and the game. I think it's a good game, but EA may just want to do the minimum and let it fade out as a cash cow and/or because Disney now owns the IP. The game makes a lot of money (link) yet they seem to do not do much to grow the franchise. But whatever the case, I'd like to see more commitment to the game. 
  • ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    I would like for Snipers and Gunslingers to be able to be more mobile and not have to use the cover system so much.  Killing them is to easy when they just sit there waiting to die trying to get shots off lol.
    Originally posted by ESSKA
    I would like for Snipers and Gunslingers to be able to be more mobile and not have to use the cover system so much.  Killing them is to easy when they just sit there waiting to die trying to get shots off lol.

Because snipers on Earth are tell known to shoot while bunny hopping?

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Hmmmm, having Togruta and Twi'leks might cause a problem. Since they look so similar, it could be confusing to some people. Then again, they could probably just render them different colors. It wouldn't be very costly and wouldn't take more than a couple days. 

Ok Grandma's Boy.lol.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Awwh, come on. If you can't tell a Togruta from a Twi'lek then I don't know what to tell you. 

Here's some images: 

Togruta Female

Twi'ek Female

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180

i play since launch ..and for me this game need :

1- server merge... all pve in one ..all pvp in one

2- working in space combat

3- open planet with rep vs imp super battle

4-..fix damn lag after reven xpac

Originally posted by DocBrody

Are you speaking for him or is it an alt account of yours?  What you should do in the future is give time for the other person to respond to the question asked for him before you chime in with your unasked for answer to his question to the other guy.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I would like PowerTech Guardian Bounty Hunters to get buffed into the first Heroic class and I don't mean that because that's what my main is honestly, I promise that's not why.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Could not care less for proposed. My main wish is new expansion with CLASS SPECIFIC QUESTS (main attraction that kept me playing until I have discovered whole story, no matter if reaching top level, something unique in Swtor) and back to voicing ALL quests. I'm sure however many does not give a sh... for this but I do. :-)

Is all about numbers how many would like to have some feature. Every feature mean some kind of money and personal investment and must bring this back via sub or otherwise. I had 8 maxed out alts (4 for each side) meaing had covered all story class quests, and and had 8 other alts. As it looks now for the first time I will not have not even half of that. About starfighter and space fights ... have nothing against to have more options for fun but i would say majority play because like to have avatars to control, not space ships. Have not touched single feature of Starfighter.

And, oh, yes, .... RETURN OLD GOOD TALENT TREES. Hate Wow-ization of talents here despite Wow is my main game, close followed by Swtor. Then .... for long nothing before 3rd and so.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

1. Viable Marauder

2. Viable Sentinel

3. Fix the dam lag

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I want Companions to be revamped. I want them to have a talent system similar to old one, or a new one based around the current Discipline system. I hate that some companions are forced to be DPS only. Some get the option to be DPS/Tank or DPS/Healer. All should have a choice between at least two types: DPS/Healer or DPS/Tank. No DPS/DPS.

I want to see more personal companion quest. I think BW missed a lot of opportunities with them. During the the development of their affections meter. More then one companion will have a talk about doing something. That of course they don't want you to come along with them for. Which I feel is just wasted by not having it be a mission/quest that can be undertaken by you and that companion.

No more vanishing companions. When I jump in a taxi or a speeder, I think my companion should to. Especially the two sitter ones. Why despawn them for the non-humanoid ones like the trooper companion I can understand, but if they are humanoid why not let them ride? Hell I would like to see it move to the point that when I mount up my companion mounts up to. It just kills the immersion for me, because it feels like they are less like a companion and more like a glorified talking pet.

Companion damage needs to be revisited, since the changes to game with 3.0. I keep my companions very well equipped even at the lowest of levels. (Adapted and Purple mods for each upgrade level 90% of time) But even with that after 3.0 hit pre-50 companions that use to do alright against Silver or even Golds. Get beaten up pretty badly now.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

3 wishes.  

1.multiple appearance tabs.   I would love to change outfit depending on the planet I'm on.

2. Multiple minigames.  simple games like a dart type game in cantinas ex.  or a shootout on Tatooine to shoot more womprats faster. Don't make anything big and complicated,  it's just a minigame,  not the actualy game.  Just a thing to "duel" against friends and strangers for those of us who don't realy want to do a real duel.

3. No more tactical FP's at max level.  Maybe make a few more tacticals for levelling, but for endgame they are just not what I like about MMO's.   If you decide to keep making tactical FP's even at endgame,  then at least make them require tactics !!    FP's should be about teamwork and the current tacticals  are just midnumbingly boring and near impossible to fail even with 4 dps.  Bring back storymode FP's as an entry to hardmode FP instead.  The jump from tactical FP to hardmode FP is just too big atm.