Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: Fans Seek to Revive the Game

Comments

• ToadipaToadipa Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Killtask

Worst running animations EVER.  Played until about lvl 15 with a warrior type.

LOL level 15.... That dedication

• RawwsRawws Member Posts: 2

I liked the game with its puzzles and dungeon crawling to me graphics are not everything.

Was really no game out there like it and the challenging feel was nice too.

I do hope they bring this back and I think there is enough people who do

like it to justify it coming back.

• Lam3zorLam3zor Member UncommonPosts: 48

cant say i see why people dislike this game... the ui wasnt THAT bad, it just took a moment to get used to, just like every mmorpg(heck... every game) which has a slightly different UI to what youre used to(rift's ui was a pain to get used to for me but i went ahead and got used to it and had fun)

the animations MAY BE the only thing i can agree with, and even then i can say that theyre partially the game's charm. a combination of oldish classic graphics and modern style.

then we have the people who came to wizardry online looking for the old wizardry... which was single player.. sure i can see your disappointment but that would mean you have to hate 60% of sequel games i know(although having played a bit of hitman absolution you guys do have a bit of a point there).

in the end- the game was pretty solid and good. no skill i can think of was useless(unless you use a rank 1 offensive skill without buffs and not fulfilling its' condition), partying and socializing with people was much more of a core element than in many mmorpgs i've played lately *randomly gets partied with people because of an invasion event thingy and instantly leaves when it ends not even saying a word* and the action parts of it were sometimes more solid than in mmorpgs than pride themselves on being action mmorpgs...

• OthergamersOthergamers Member UncommonPosts: 2

I really hope that this game comes back!!

I've enjoyed WO a lot!!

• xybervirusxybervirus Member UncommonPosts: 18
    A lot of the posters here don't sound like they spent much time at all with the game. Sony was the publisher, not the developer. The game is still actively developed my gamepot in JP. It has you gotten as far as having a PVE version in addition to the standard. I'll be the first to admit that the tutorial in this game wouldn't make most people interested. And the first dungeon is a bit boring at first and drives most people away.

BUT most people didn't get past either of these and judge this game based on that experience or the awful job SOE did at handling the game very early on. I was around for the betas ans launch, and because they did a steam release they in conjuction with official, they were hit so hard most people couldn't play.

We have countless hotkey mmos but people want to give this game a hard time? Why not support or just not post? This game really deserves an actual chance and some real love. SOE threw all of that out the window. I believe with proper handling, and even just a little CORRECT advertisement (seriously, the "permadeath" is not a selling point) this game would do really well out here.

This game took real teamwork and effort, something most games are severely lacking. I miss it all the time and have yet to find a replacement.
    Originally posted by xybervirus
    A lot of the posters here don't sound like they spent much time at all with the game. Sony was the publisher, not the developer. The game is still actively developed my gamepot in JP. It has you gotten as far as having a PVE version in addition to the standard. I'll be the first to admit that the tutorial in this game wouldn't make most people interested. And the first dungeon is a bit boring at first and drives most people away. BUT most people didn't get past either of these and judge this game based on that experience or the awful job SOE did at handling the game very early on. I was around for the betas ans launch, and because they did a steam release they in conjuction with official, they were hit so hard most people couldn't play. We have countless hotkey mmos but people want to give this game a hard time? Why not support or just not post? This game really deserves an actual chance and some real love. SOE threw all of that out the window. I believe with proper handling, and even just a little CORRECT advertisement (seriously, the "permadeath" is not a selling point) this game would do really well out here. This game took real teamwork and effort, something most games are severely lacking. I miss it all the time and have yet to find a replacement.

if i may say so, i did find myself liking the fact the tutorial had been lacking.

in the end the community learnt and taught each other the game's mechanics and people have been reinventing their playstyles to try and reach a higher point, and the find of another bit about how things work(for instance, managing your condition inside dungeons so that you stay at your peak defensive and offensive capabilities for as long as possible) were things that made the game more fun in my opinion.

as a newbie i had no idea how to even sidestep. later i learnt how to sidestep as a defensive maneuver, and then slowly i learnt how to make an offensive move out of it.  I do have to agree that far too many people that did try the game and disliked it have hated it for its' weakest point-the first 5 levels and dungeon. especially if you didnt come for dungeon crawling and solving but rather for a quick instance clear and off to town.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Alkaven

Wow.  Surprised by all the negative comments.

This game deserves a revive because there's nothing else like it.  Grind is gone from MMO's, so is the difficulty of completing objectives, and finding treasure.  This game brought back what I miss about RPGs: surprises.  Deadly traps, rare items, experience drains, etc.,

It's a shame everyone just wants the same casual experience out of their RPGs. :  Can't we have just one that isn't?

How can you be surprised?  Honestly you can't be surprised about this.   How dare you tell people that they should like this game. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

This game deserves a revive because there's nothing else like it.  Grind is gone from MMO's, so is the difficulty of completing objectives, and finding treasure.  This game brought back what I miss about RPGs: surprises.  Deadly traps, rare items, experience drains, etc.,

It's a shame everyone just wants the same casual experience out of their RPGs. :  Can't we have just one that isn't?

How can you be surprised?  Honestly you can't be surprised about this.   How dare you tell people that they should like this game. 

aight aight youre on to us. we played truth or dare and i dared him to tell people they should like wizardry

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I'm not usually this negative... but I literally could not find a single thing to like about the game. Even that video doesn't manage to show anything good. I'm not a graphics whore either, but the game was just seriously the ugliest MMO I ever saw. It was all just so...bland... grey and dull. The combat and animations were just disgustingly clunky, it was a horrible experience.

People's hatred for the game has nothing to do with it being hardcore. It has everything to do with it just being bad. If you liked it for some reason, more power to you. But don't pretend like everyone who hated this game just thought it was too hard.

• GoreJessGoreJess Member Posts: 3

SOE lacked in advertising and managing of Wizardry Online and it showed like a bright green stain on a baseball uniform. The community talked about that exact issue until the game sunset on July 31, 2014.  This game is unique and all-around a fantastic gaming experience.  Although that is my opinion, a ton of you have not given Wizardry online a full chance. Did you experience PvP? Class changing? How about Forging? That is only to name a few and there are tons more to have had experienced in this game. I always called it a "compact" type of MMO where the community is very close-knit, and that was probably one of my favorite things about this game.  

Sign the petition!

Originally posted by GoreJess

SOE lacked in advertising and managing of Wizardry Online and it showed like a bright green stain on a baseball uniform. The community talked about that exact issue until the game sunset on July 31, 2014.  This game is unique and all-around a fantastic gaming experience.  Although that is my opinion, a ton of you have not given Wizardry online a full chance. Did you experience PvP? Class changing? How about Forging? That is only to name a few and there are tons more to have had experienced in this game. I always called it a "compact" type of MMO where the community is very close-knit, and that was probably one of my favorite things about this game.  

Sign the petition!

as strangely and not supportive as this may sound... you reminded me of this

*signs the petition cause we got stuff to do*

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    I was accepted in the beta. Downloaded t he game and logged in, played for about an hour, puked on my keyboard and uninstalled that blasphemous example of Wizardry!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• K4B4LY3R0K4B4LY3R0 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    You guys can always play Wizardry 1...
  • warscarzwarscarz Member Posts: 5
    this was the very thing real mmo players wanted ..lots of customizing ...challenging dungeons ...pvp world wide ...justice system...death penalties that mattered...guilds ..exploration ( most never got past the 1st city ) hell sometimes I was actually scared to enter a dungeon for fear of my life ....skill progression...in game auction house. the games biggest fail was SOE they let the ball drop for the love of money and eqnext addictions shout out to French fry my pvp bud loved pvp in town during beta ..biggest draw back of the game was low population people were so used to easy peasy stuff so as for me yoda warscarz hope fully will see wizardry online life again 1 day as for u lamer haters bugg off this could be the best mmorpg in a long time and most may never exp it again ...ill be praying for it to return...SIGNED THE PETITION SO FAST I SPUN IN CIRCLES
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Crazy. Hope they pull it off.

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Westernize it 9 years after the original release and it fails, who would thunk it! How about this start respecting western gamers and release your games when they are relevant to us.
  • MaddOverlordMaddOverlord Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Superman0X
    The developer has already moved on, so it is unlikely that there will be any changes in the game going forward. However, it is theoretically possible for someone to bring back a copy of what was already published.
    • The "developer" of Wizardry Online was and still is Gamepot (by GMO).
    • SOE was simply the "publisher" of the game in NA/EU until they terminated their contract in July 2014.
    • Gamepot continues to develop the game and it continues to thrive in Japan.
    If the game were to be brought back to North America, it would garner new content over time as the content, that was already developed in JP, is translated.
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    This game for me was actually very close to being good. I think they just didn't give it the attention it required.

It had a solid core, but was just not tailored for western audiences. For example, it was designed to be played with a controller, it had action cutscenes, the intentionally added fog to 'soften' the view, etc. These would all have been good moves for a console game in the west, but were bad choices for a PC game.

In full disclosure, I continue to play this game on the JP servers.

I enjoy the game very much and continue to do so and the entire time that I played the game I've played on my keyboard.  I'm not sure that I agree with your assessment that it was "designed" to be played with a controller.  I would be inclined to agree that the developer's included "support for" controllers.

Well said.
    Originally posted by Lam3zor
    fun fact: devs didnt give up on the game, theyre working on it. the publisher did after their attempt to make this work out failed(and to those who played they would know they have part in this fail. i have only seen a gm once since launch and that was on the first two weeks. after that nothing)

Incorrect, GamePot  has sold off its PC game division, and is not working only on mobile games.

Please check your facts before you post.  GamePot continues to develop and support Wizardry Online game in JP.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    There are only a few games I would like to see come back. Warhammer, maybe Tabula Rasa, but Wizardry Online is not one I even care to see back, unless it is a new single player rpg. I did not care for it due to the clunky interface and the linear environment. Let this one go with poor old Vanguard.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Kano60
    Originally posted by saker
    I found it to be just awful.

Wow thanks for the detail, I find most WOW fanboy's or general carebare gamers to have left wizardry with this sort of opinion, It's sad because they couldnt get out of caligrase, or didnt take the time to even learn the lay out of the town simply because WIZARDRY ONLINE would not hold there hand through the entire process, This game is geared for the more experienced/intelligent crowd maybe? Either way it makes the user think, Does not take them through a themepark ride and throw them out after... Dont be so hard on a game just because you didnt understand it in the first 15 minutes

My sentiments exactly.

Originally posted by waynejr2

You really should re-read his post.  Alkaven, saying he was surprised about the comments is not telling people how to feel; on the contrary he's telling you how he feels.

However, your comment "Honestly you can't be surprised about this." is telling him how he should feel.

Project much?

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It actually wasn't too bad there are way worse games out there. I wouldn't play it again personally.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Originally posted by Riveran21
    Originally posted by Lam3zor
    fun fact: devs didnt give up on the game, theyre working on it. the publisher did after their attempt to make this work out failed(and to those who played they would know they have part in this fail. i have only seen a gm once since launch and that was on the first two weeks. after that nothing)

Incorrect, GamePot  has sold off its PC game division, and is not working only on mobile games.

Please check your facts before you post.  GamePot continues to develop and support Wizardry Online game in JP.

which is utterly meaningless to the product in NA. We all been through this garbage before the lack of respect for western audience. Game was ported over many years after its release hoping for a fast cash grab, all the updates get ported over miles behind. There is a reason it failed here  it was  an insult to western gamers,.

Just play FF14 ARR get 100 time sbetter product and respect for your money in the west also.