Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: Fans Seek to Revive the Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A group of fans is making an effort to bring back Wizardry Online. Originally published in the west by Sony Online entertainment, Wizardry never found its footing and service was terminated in July 2014. According to information received, WO's developer, Suba Games, has taken notice. Petitions have been initiated in the hopes that Wizardry Online can make a comeback sometime in 2015.

Afternoon everyone, it's always great to see people passionate enough to pool together and try to have their voices heard. In this case i want to let you know you all have been heard and Suba is interested in reviving this game. They have actually made contact with the developer but have yet to conclude an outcome with them yet.

That is all the news i am able to offer at this point in time. I also want you all to know each suggestion brought to Subagames is considered and thought about respectively. Feel free to continue bringing game suggestions to Suba, whether it's to revive a game or for Subagames to simply acquire for themselves to publish.

Check out the Wizardry Online Revival video below and let us know what you think.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Didn't this die for a reason?

Good luck though.

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

The game died for very good reasons, it was soooo bad it's hard to even try and justify its existence.

There will be die-hard fans for everything, but I'm not sure there are enough of them (and enough rich ones) to warrant the server maintenance....not even talking about new feature development.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    best bet would be for they asking for a new version, I do like teh wizrdry series, but the online was really the most boring and tiring game I played
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    The developer has already moved on, so it is unlikely that there will be any changes in the game going forward. However, it is theoretically possible for someone to bring back a copy of what was already published.
  • GilgamerGilgamer Member UncommonPosts: 24

I can't speak to whether or not this game earned its demise, but when an MMO dies and it has a small but loyal fan base it's a shame that the developers don't turn the game over of the gamers.  Give them the tools to host and maintain their own servers, modify rulesets, and likewise mod and continue development on the game.  The developers could still sell annual or lifetime licenses for the use of their IP just like any other piece of commercial software.  In exchange they would just need to offer a small amount of IT help (think troubleshooting).  Obviously if the dev doesn't own the IP for the game that would be impossible like Warhammer, but for games like CoH I am not sure why that wouldn't work.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I got in closed whatever. I could not play it. It was not fun to me. I could see appeal for others though and wish them luck.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    This game for me was actually very close to being good. I think they just didn't give it the attention it required.
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    This game for me was actually very close to being good. I think they just didn't give it the attention it required.

It had a solid core, but was just not tailored for western audiences. For example, it was designed to be played with a controller, it had action cutscenes, the intentionally added fog to 'soften' the view, etc. These would all have been good moves for a console game in the west, but were bad choices for a PC game.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I found it to be just awful.
  • AlkavenAlkaven Member Posts: 25

Wow.  Surprised by all the negative comments.

This game deserves a revive because there's nothing else like it.  Grind is gone from MMO's, so is the difficulty of completing objectives, and finding treasure.  This game brought back what I miss about RPGs: surprises.  Deadly traps, rare items, experience drains, etc.,

It's a shame everyone just wants the same casual experience out of their RPGs. :  Can't we have just one that isn't?

• Lam3zorLam3zor Member UncommonPosts: 48
    fun fact: devs didnt give up on the game, theyre working on it. the publisher did after their attempt to make this work out failed(and to those who played they would know they have part in this fail. i have only seen a gm once since launch and that was on the first two weeks. after that nothing)
  • KilltaskKilltask Member UncommonPosts: 37

Worst running animations EVER.  Played until about lvl 15 with a warrior type.

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

No. Just no. I'm normally all for this type of stuff, but Wizardry was offensively bad. Like, everything about it was awful. I remember needing to take 3 days off after trying it out for an hour because the bloody UI gave me such a migraine. It was a poorly designed (at best) jumble of awful that should never be visited on humanity again.

I'm all for more diverse games and some more "hardcore" games with permadeath elements in them. But not Wizardry. Build a new game that isn't a crime against humanity and I'll be all over that.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    When I played I thought the game was pretty poor in all aspects but I hope the fans get their wish and the game gets a second chance in the west.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    It was a horrible game.  Nothing like the original wizardry series at all.  Anyone signing that petition needs to get out of the basement and look at what a modern game looks like.
  • AlkavenAlkaven Member Posts: 25
    you're complaining it's nothing like the old original wizardry series, and that people should consider modern games instead?  are you broken?
    Originally posted by Lam3zor
    fun fact: devs didnt give up on the game, theyre working on it. the publisher did after their attempt to make this work out failed(and to those who played they would know they have part in this fail. i have only seen a gm once since launch and that was on the first two weeks. after that nothing)

Incorrect, GamePot  has sold off its PC game division, and is not working only on mobile games.

• ToadipaToadipa Member Posts: 11

Many criticized for being ‘outdated’ in graphics and game controls, but people failed to see was that it’s style was modeled for the classical feel, rather than the cinematic styles commonly seen today. It is part of the Wizardry series, and is a wonderful representative of the RPG  players have come to love. Many experienced gamers know the style of graphics do not speak for gameplay.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    It was a horrible game.  Nothing like the original wizardry series at all.  Anyone signing that petition needs to get out of the basement and look at what a modern game looks like.

It goes without saying, Wizardry Online had to make several changes going from a single player RPG to a multiplayer MMO. However, it did keep a lot of the original aspects. Such as the races,  original and elite classes, with the ability to class change and take different skills to create your own class, resulting in endless options for personal gameplay.  They also kept a similar story line from Wizardry Labyrinth Of Lost Souls, adding  new, entertaining  twists to keep you on the edge of your seat, while making it fit to a multiplayer/MMO style of gameplay.

Originally posted by gunmanvlad

The game died for very good reasons, it was soooo bad it's hard to even try and justify its existence.

There will be die-hard fans for everything, but I'm not sure there are enough of them (and enough rich ones) to warrant the server maintenance....not even talking about new feature development.

Like many MMO’s, this game is naturally grindy, with risk, and very rewarding. At first, the game seems odd and bulky, but once you get further into the experience, you begin to understand the ingenious way it was constructed, making you work hard for achievements with a sense of accomplishment, encouraging you to push further into content.

Coming from someone who logged pushing 10k hours into the game, It is obvious you probably never made it past level 10 lol

• DeBloisLucyDeBloisLucy Member Posts: 2
    This game was not given a chance at all. All I see are people who've given less then their time to this game. It is a game that requires effort. If you are looking for a game with graphics that are up to date and instant levels, then please, play your other games! :)
  • DeBloisLucyDeBloisLucy Member Posts: 2
    I find it sad that if a game doesn't instantly bring flashy things, it's an automatic disappointment. Games with originality don't go well in our new gaming generations. If it doesn't have everything that every other MMO has, it's a fail? What a game, truly. 

• Kano60Kano60 Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by saker
    I found it to be just awful.

Wow thanks for the detail, I find most WOW fanboy's or general carebare gamers to have left wizardry with this sort of opinion, It's sad because they couldnt get out of caligrase, or didnt take the time to even learn the lay out of the town simply because WIZARDRY ONLINE would not hold there hand through the entire process, This game is geared for the more experienced/intelligent crowd maybe? Either way it makes the user think, Does not take them through a themepark ride and throw them out after... Dont be so hard on a game just because you didnt understand it in the first 15 minutes