Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this anything like Fallout 3 / New Vegas?

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Since it´s from the same developer (Zenimax/Bethesda) does this game play anything like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas?

Are the story quests interesting with a variety of different outcomes and moral choices?

Acutally I´d prefer a Fallout MMO over the fantasy setting of ESO, but if gets close in gameplay I might finally pick it up

Comments

• mangybasterdmangybasterd Member Posts: 8

The questing so far is elder scrolls plus MMO influence, which I enjoy.  If you haven't played Skyrim do that first. Oblivion is great and Morrowind is my favorite but Skyrim is the most playable since it's newer and a more logical next step from Fallout. It's not as dark and gritty but there's some crazy shit there.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Since it´s from the same developer (Zenimax/Bethesda) does this game play anything like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas?

Are the story quests interesting with a variety of different outcomes and moral choices?

Acutally I´d prefer a Fallout MMO over the fantasy setting of ESO, but if gets close in gameplay I might finally pick it up

Well first of all you should look into Fallen Earth which is probably the best Post Apocalyptic MMO out there.

Second, no it doesn't play at all like Zeni's Fallout games though many quests do offer choices on their outcomes.  It's more like TES games than it is the Fallout games.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

If you join hoping for Fallout -like experience, you'll be disappointed.

There's some resemblance to Fallout, so that if you like Fallout and like MMOs you'll probably like this one too, but not enough that I'd recommend Elder Scrolls Online for anyone who doesn't like MMOs.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    It's an MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin, so no, I would say it plays nothing like Fallout or TES games. There are some small tweaks to the usual MMO formula that come from the influence of Elder Scrolls (e.g. the questing is a bit more story-based and engaging than typical mindless kill and fetch), but don't expect anything like the experience you get from Bethesda's single-player RPGs.
  • Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122

thats the thing that i dont get about mmos. ESO is just a themepark. have you played one? congrats, now you know all the others too. but i must admit that ESO tries more immersion. ESO plays nothing like Fallout/3/ New Vegas. In MMOS nowadays you are on rails, doing content in level zones that are always just right for you. No suspense or danger, than at endgame you play a lobby game. You like exploration? Nah, not in MMOS. ! and ?, arrows and minimap will guide you through the lands. (although indeed ESO is a bit less intrusive in this regard).

have you ever played a mmo thread opener?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by DocBrody
    Since it´s from the same developer (Zenimax/Bethesda) does this game play anything like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas?Are the story quests interesting with a variety of different outcomes and moral choices? Acutally I´d prefer a Fallout MMO over the fantasy setting of ESO, but if gets close in gameplay I might finally pick it up

Originally posted by Entinerint
    Originally posted by DocBrody Since it´s from the same developer (Zenimax/Bethesda) does this game play anything like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas? Are the story quests interesting with a variety of different outcomes and moral choices?   Acutally I´d prefer a Fallout MMO over the fantasy setting of ESO, but if gets close in gameplay I might finally pick it up
    Well first of all you should look into Fallen Earth which is probably the best Post Apocalyptic MMO out there.

Second, no it doesn't play at all like Zeni's Fallout games though many quests do offer choices on their outcomes.  It's more like TES games than it is the Fallout games.

Unfortunately this is as close as were ever gona get to a fallout mmo.

While i think Fallen Earth is great, its also very dead. When owner ship went to g1 it was put on life support. :(

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• mangybasterdmangybasterd Member Posts: 8

This themepark vs sandbox bullshit basically means you'll have smaller zones to explore (but more of them) and you'll be hard pressed to finish quests that are 2+ levels above you (not nearly as hard as going into the wrong area in Morrowind) so you are more limited in what you can do. You can choose other factions( with a new character) to mix it up. You're obviously a solo oriented player you'll find plenty to do for a while and might end up enjoying endgame content.

Look at this game as it is, a game inspired by the gods over at Bethesda Game Studios and molded into a multiplayer experience.

Yeah it's a themepark, but it's fun. Show me a sandbox MMO that's still relevant. We're always doing the same thing in games might as well accept that and set it up to be a good ride.

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    No
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Theutus
    No

Yes and no.

They are running on the same or similar engine, so the questing system, money system, inventory, etc. are going to be familiar.  Ditto for the combat and AI.  It will seem familiar, but it's not the same thing.  Most obvious is the setting.  I think the skill system has some notable differences as well.

If you really liked FO3 or FO:NV, and you're a fan of the medieval fantasy settings with magic, dragons, etc., then there's a really good chance you'll like Skyrim.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    No

Yes and no.

They are running on the same or similar engine, so the questing system, money system, inventory, etc. are going to be familiar.  Ditto for the combat and AI.  It will seem familiar, but it's not the same thing.  Most obvious is the setting.  I think the skill system has some notable differences as well.

If you really liked FO3 or FO:NV, and you're a fan of the medieval fantasy settings with magic, dragons, etc., then there's a really good chance you'll like Skyrim.

ESO does not use the same or similar engine. They are either using something they built or a heavily modified Hero Engine. Questing , money and UI does not mean they are using the same engine.. Wow.

As per the OP.. No. ESO does not play like games with guns.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    No

Yes and no.

ESO does not use the same or similar engine. They are either using something they built or a heavily modified Hero Engine. Questing , money and UI does not mean they are using the same engine.. Wow.

"or similar"

For some reason I read ESO as Skyrim.  So just ignore whatever I said.  Since ESO seems to diverge from Skyrim pretty significantly, it's going to diverge even more from the 3D Fallout games even more.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

But it isnt similar....

Another thing I forgot to address in the OP was that ESO isnt made by the same developers. They are owned by the same company but that is it..

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

IMO it has some similarities in the way they handle some of the quests, which encourages you to explore and find new quests and other interesting things.

but the biggest difference is ESO isn't "free roam" like fallout 3, NV, or skyrim. you have to level up before moving on to the next area or the content will be too difficult.

however, for an MMO it's as close as you are going to get, a quality modern mmo that is.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Originally posted by lizardbones Originally posted by Theutus No
      Yes and no.   They are running on the same or similar engine, so the questing system, money system, inventory, etc. are going to be familiar.  Ditto for the combat and AI.  It will seem familiar, but it's not the same thing.  Most obvious is the setting.  I think the skill system has some notable differences as well.   If you really liked FO3 or FO:NV, and you're a fan of the medieval fantasy settings with magic, dragons, etc., then there's a really good chance you'll like Skyrim.  

for the record it is a custom built engine just for ESO and not hero engine, which is a common misconception.