Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a rather boring/sterile single player experience + endless repetitive grind

2»

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

>>>> Travelling time takes forever >>>

Well, just head AWAY from a gravity well or any other masses like rings, asteroids, other ships ... and BAZINGA ... suddenly your ship speeds up significantly.

At 500 times the speed of light, travelling does not take THAT  long ;-)   And thats cruising, not hyperspace jumping.

Its often a good idea to first move vertically away from the ecliptic, THEN move large distances at high speed, THEN "dive in" again into the ecliptic. This i recommend when you have to travel between binary and triplet stars, with distances of 100.000+ Lightseconds.

Have fun

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy
    Originally posted by dave6660

Given your post history I'm curious why you even tried E:D?

You had your mind made up a long time ago.

+1 

Quite clear that the OP just doesn't 'get' Elite and wants it to be something it is not, ie a space opera.

So I don´t "get" Elite, okay then.

I get games that are not grindy and don´t let you repeat endless repetitive tasks in generic environments.

Great Star Citizen reference you made though, yes I´m looking forward to SC, that is no secret.

I would be equally disappointed if CIG would release their game in the same state, with almost no content but grindy repetition in generic environments. Should this happen you can be sure I will point it out too!

You really should not compare to Elite though, with the feature set of Star Citzen that has avatars and FPS and voiced story, with branching character story and single player campaign, it seems desperate to force them both even in the same category, which they are absolutely not. Don´t compare what can not be compared.

Your post history though says differently.  You've never said anything remotely good about E:D and bash it if given the chance.   SC on the other hand is the cats meow to you.   By the way, Elite isn't grindy, and not all the star systems the same.  Sure they all contain stars and planets - but they are all unique.    Plus, there is lots of things to do.  Sorry you didn't discover them all.   Plus, Braben has repeatedly said that the initial release of Elite was just the foundation.   He delivered on that.   We're playing a modern up-to-date version of the original game from 1984(minus Thargoids but with other additions).    I suspect you never played the original and didn't know what to expect.   Braben has also said that Elite will be added to.   I believe him.  

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Like many said this game is to me now early access, much more will be added soon.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy
    Originally posted by dave6660

Given your post history I'm curious why you even tried E:D?

You had your mind made up a long time ago.

+1 

Quite clear that the OP just doesn't 'get' Elite and wants it to be something it is not, ie a space opera.

So I don´t "get" Elite, okay then.

I get games that are not grindy and don´t let you repeat endless repetitive tasks in generic environments.

Great Star Citizen reference you made though, yes I´m looking forward to SC, that is no secret.

I would be equally disappointed if CIG would release their game in the same state, with almost no content but grindy repetition in generic environments. Should this happen you can be sure I will point it out too!

You really should not compare to Elite though, with the feature set of Star Citzen that has avatars and FPS and voiced story, with branching character story and single player campaign, it seems desperate to force them both even in the same category, which they are absolutely not. Don´t compare what can not be compared.

Your post history though says differently.  You've never said anything remotely good about E:D and bash it if given the chance.   SC on the other hand is the cats meow to you.   By the way, Elite isn't grindy, and not all the star systems the same.  Sure they all contain stars and planets - but they are all unique.    Plus, there is lots of things to do.  Sorry you didn't discover them all.   Plus, Braben has repeatedly said that the initial release of Elite was just the foundation.   He delivered on that.   We're playing a modern up-to-date version of the original game from 1984(minus Thargoids but with other additions).    I suspect you never played the original and didn't know what to expect.   Braben has also said that Elite will be added to.   I believe him.  

my post history, my post history, well thanks for writing a summary of my post history, you are correct I think ED is terrible and I think Star Citizen will likely be a lot deeper and better, or let's say "different" if that wording suits you better. You think I made some big secret about my post history and you are Columbo uncovering some ploy, so you need to talk about post histories?

Elite is simply a credits grind, it's repetitive, it's about doing the same sterile text based tasks over and over again. If that is what Elite is "about" it simply means I won't play it any further, it does not mean "I don't get it", in fact I got it all too well, and I don't want to do endless credits grind games that don't even offer a believable backstory or remotely interesting quests. The game world is sterile and dead and it screams "random gerneration" from every corner, except for the little geometry it has with 3-4 stations being copy pasted around the entire universe, so the only place where randomness could have helped, they left it out.

Anyway I am now playing Fallout New Vegas, that is a real content rich finished game with a handmade world worth exploring, because there are things to find and the game world oozes with content. Elite in comparison is one big empty dull empty desert with a bunch of generic mobs lined up in a shooting gallery, nothing makes sense in this game.

Besides so the developer even admits their game is empty but they still released it for Christmas profit for shareholders, saying all the content is coming some time post release? That's rich. Pay now get content later, awesome business model. 

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Hehe can't wait until Star Citizen pops out and threads like this one start to appear. Especially from the guys dropping $2k on virtual goods 
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Fallout New Vegas is rubbish, i play CIV 5 and that's much better!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

I AGREE this game its grind alot

and whats you expect space sim? realy guys impossible make SIM without grind 

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by BailoPan15
    Hehe can't wait until Star Citizen pops out and threads like this one start to appear. Especially from the guys dropping $2k on virtual goods 

Careful, the backers are fanatical about Star Citizen, it's been a long time since I saw such denial about any game.

The virtual ship costs are a massive joke, the devs already have all the money they could ever want and they have figured out how easy it is to milk more out of these morons.

As for ED, well personally I love it, admittedly it's a massive nostalgia trip for a lot of us in our late 30s and 40s, but who cares, ni backed it and got the game, now I can play it whenever I want, no subs fees and the cash shop is purely cosmetic.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• CatAtomic99CatAtomic99 Member UncommonPosts: 62

Meh, to each their own. I'm loving this game. I didn't pay any attention to it at all during development (I never do-- expectations are poison to enjoyment), but picked it up on launch day and have been playing since. I've gone back and watched some of their older videos describing the things they want to eventually have in place (like the way the world is supposed to develop), and while you can see the foundation is there to support these things, it is a pretty bare bones experience at present.

I had similar feelings about EVE when it launched so long ago, and CCCP did in fact, over time, fill it out nicely. I'd very much like to Frontier do the same with E:D over the long haul.

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

If it had any of those things, I would never have bought it.

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Planetary landing is the single most mentioned thing that people seem to be looking forward to.

Well, for me this is the sole reason why I didn't buy the game yet - I was deeply disappointed that out-of-ship experience was announced for the title.

I honestly do not understand the desire why whould anyone want an avatar gameplay in a game about space ships. It is juts redundant, meaningless feature in a game where is no place for it. It only drains resources that could have been spent better elsewhere.

Imo, it is a pipe dream - they want it in the game, they see it as "cool" but they have no clue or use for such experience gameplay wise.

I very much agree. I love looking out of my space ship at the docking platform, but why explore it? I've got hundreds of other games for that.

im all for planetary descents... If I can dogfight in the atmosphere and cruise over the terrain, perhaps cargo scoop some gas/lava/water. Perhaps dogfight in thick clouds, crash into Bespin.

the only thing I'd enjoy about an avatar is watching the dock traffic in real time.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    'Travelling time takes forever'. Made me laugh. Maybe we should be able to insta-port between all 400 billion stars and be able to queue up for system battle grounds.

Please.............................Just don't even go there........