Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would yor dream controller look like

cordocordo Member Posts: 15

Hi

I am thinking of creating a new gamepad/keypad for PC games .

The idea is to create something that anyone can used .

A nonstandard design , with the possibility to program all buttons and axes .

The device will be treated as a joystick with a default layout when no drivers are installed

I would like to hear what features would gamers want ,or what features currently exist and are not functioning as expected or need tweaking .

Basically i want to design something for gamers that will be the ultimate control device for a myriad of games while at the same time taking in consideration ergonomics and device response time .

Go wild with ideas :)

Thank you .

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Hmm, good question.

I never really liked the mouse, still using a trackball since it is faster and have more control.

However do I think the ultimate controller would be some kind of glove where you can use your entire hand to controll your avatar.

I used to have one of these BTW: 

An interesting mix between mouse and trackball you could hold in several ways or just use as a mouse. Sadly the quality was just so-so so I went through 2 in less than 2 years. It was really comfy though. :)

• cordocordo Member Posts: 15

Nice , i didnt know a device like that was out there .

I believe you are right about having a device that would fit the hand , i am a bit skeptical about gloves .

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

two gel-spheres that you can rest your hands on with some sort of tech inside that reads your hand impulses, either with some sort of heat signature or nanotech. super dream tech, they are wireless and mobile. like stress balls. 

http://jiaxinggroup.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008835690713/pdtl/Stress-ball/1049126714/Stress-Ball.htm

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If you've seen the Steam Controller that may or may not ever exist, I think that might be something cool.  Basically imagine an XBox or PS4 controller, but instead of thumb sticks it has touch pads for your thumbs allowing a much finer grained control.  Each works as a button push as well.  Maybe even a positional button push.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Sorry i couldn't resist:

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Sorry i couldn't resist:

i think you probably won though image

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797

i was thinking of creating a gamepad too and already made a concept drawing!

what do you think?

http://imgur.com/CN5RK2W

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

I need more buttons.

As a player, a console controller with only 4 buttons greatly limits Fighting Games, so much so that most players just shell out $80-$120 for a fight stick. I need 8 buttons, prefer 12 or more. No, trigger buttons do not count, I need those plus 8-12 on top the controller, in reach of the right hand / thumb.

As a developer, I find I have to start with the input controls, because you cannot do in a game, what you do not have a button or joystick for. This is why we don't see much in the way of MMORPG or FPS games on touchscreen tablets or phones. The tablets and phones have the processing power, and a decent albeit not unlimited battery life, but with touch as an input, the game has to change or suck.

I want multi-press buttons, like some of the old cabinet arcade games used to have, where the button has 3 or more levels of pressure that it can register.

I want a much improved joystick / d-pad, just take a look at how primitive the actual mechanism is, I want far greater sensitivity than what present mechanisms allow. Sensitivity to direction and amount of pressure should be greatly improved.

Beyond that, try changing how the controller is held. This may be a step too far, but would be a good exercise in creativity.

Very interesting :)

You are right , playing simulators with keyboards or standard controllers is by far  inferior to playing with joysticks.

And more than that ,  the layouts seems to be clumsy . The keys seem to be always out of reach when you need the most .

The  idea is the get as much possible tech with maximum reliability , so player will have best return for they money .

Let see if i understand this correctly , you would like to have a tree layered button , like the main fire trigger on a joystick ?

1-layer fires the cannon

2-layer fires missiles or another special

I can see this working well in an alpha preparation before an attack   , good idea .

Buttons ?
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Oh come on! I can't be the only that immediately thought "uh-heh-heh.. uh-heh-heh.."
  • Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

I was thinking light punch, medium punch, hard punch, depending on how hard / far you press the button.

A game starts with its input scheme, more and better buttons and joystick can only create new opportunities.

Not exactly what i had in mind MisterZebub but it is an idea :)
    Originally posted by Ket_Viliano

I was thinking light punch, medium punch, hard punch, depending on how hard / far you press the button.

A game starts with its input scheme, more and better buttons and joystick can only create new opportunities.

Very interesting ...

How would you guys prefer to move your ingame avatar (character /ship / aircraft)

Analog joystick or directional buttons

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Sorry i couldn't resist:

I have to agree with this.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Take roughly a PlayStation style controller, but replace the thumbsticks with NES Max-style cycloids, and give the cycloids options to treat the input as digital (as the NES Max did) or analog (so that you can get the full analog options where needed).
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by vveaver
    two gel-spheres that you can rest your hands on with some sort of tech inside that reads your hand impulses, either with some sort of heat signature or nanotech. super dream tech, they are wireless and mobile. like stress balls. http://jiaxinggroup.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008835690713/pdtl/Stress-ball/1049126714/Stress-Ball.htm 

hahaha the best breast simulator ever

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

But seriously... I'm so used to just a standard keyboard/mouse that I have a hard time using anything else.

If only it would stop giving me carpal tunnel it would be perfect.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Oh c'mon guys. The OP did say "dream"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Dreaming is the source of creativity .

I started this because  of the charapal channel syndrome .

And decided that along the way i can create something that will address some of the other problems

Any of you own one of these

I would really like to get some feedback on them

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by cordo

And decided that along the way i can create something that will address some of the other problems

I own a Razer Nostromo and like it.  It's great for action games like Path of Exile or Torchlight 2.  I can't get used to the thumb stick though.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Now you're playing with power.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by cordo

I own a Razer Nostromo and like it.  It's great for action games like Path of Exile or Torchlight 2.  I can't get used to the thumb stick though.

Could you elaborate why you cant use the thumb stick ?

• MacShwangusMacShwangus Member Posts: 32

I believe you're all leaning towards something like this.