Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think was 2014's WORST MMO?

Comments

• darkrochidarkrochi Member UncommonPosts: 4
    i think Archeage is was bad game for me i played for 2 months and all i seen was nothing but bots and spammers and scammers it was bad for me cause all the issues that was going at launch and all the land grabers that was going and the founder packs was useless 

Amazing New Program Shovels Cash
    in Your Bank Account and builds your
    Downline Faster than a Road Runner
    on Steroids.
    http://goo.gl/fdRUsQ

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Should have added an 'other' to this list.

WoW - Burnt out on it awhile ago so new expansion wasn't on my radar

ESO - Got my vote because it was the best game I played that year but the worst managed

Wildstar - Wasn't on my radar, so no feelings

AA - Knew it was pvp and I mostly pve so I didn't expect a lot from it in the first place

FF - Not on radar

FFXIV - Didn't expect a lot from it so no disappointments

Destiny - Not on radar

ED - Not on radar, might play later

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148

Really close between Archeage and Wildstar. For worst MMO of the year. In the end? I voted for Wildstar due to Carbine's arrogance in thinking they could get 40 man raids to work as the tie breaker. I also did not expect much from Archeage as it was crafted originally for a Asian market.

But make no mistake both are complete stinkers. 

• DeadlysynzDeadlysynz Member Posts: 12

It would be between the big 3 "failures", Archeage, Wildstar, and Elder Scrolls Online.

Archeage wins hands down due to bad management, a lying publisher, and a game creator whom has no interest in addressing the major problems with the game.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Zarf42
    Archeage was my vote. I was so disappointed. 

If question would be which one was most DISAPPOINTING I would put on top maybe, just maybe, WOD. While I could play all previous expansions for first 6 months in one shot, I have stopped to play Wod after SINGLE MONTH! I just can not believe. If it is problem just with my .... we will know in few months or so.

I have been very disappointed - as lore lover - by ARR.

About Wildstar ... I guess will still be playing it IF not for that silly 1 toolbar limit. Same happened to TSW. Shame.

Archeage .... well started to play just for fun, I did not have long term plans being pure PVP game ... but still have been disappointed. Fortunately have not spent a single €.

At the end ... I have been disappointed (year of disappointments :-)) a lot also by Swtor, but I'm still playing it, guess for at least next month or so will continue to level my alts. Otherwise my 2nd preffered game after Wow.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I was initially tempted to choose Archeage, but then I decided that AA as a game wasn't that bad, it just suffered from disastrous management issues.

I don't consider Elite:Dangerous to be an MMO yet, it's more like a multiplayer co-op thing.

So in the end, Wildstar earned my nomination, because that was the worst MMO (game play wise) that I played this year.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Overlord_Neizir
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1

FFXIV was 2013 release. WoW is a 2004 mmo and WoD is an expac. I don't see you listing other games' expacs like RIFT or EQ2. Some games you don't even list because you've never heard of them, because they were so bad.

I don't think any on your list qualify as "worst", altho archage was pretty shaky.

Your list is bad. I'm not voting in it. Wish you knew more about the genre to make a better poll.

Who said it had to release in 2014? These are just the "main" MMOs that people are playing in 2014.

Then you should also have added games like LOTRO and GW2... They are surely as popular as most games you listed. And TOR for that matter.

No, you should just stayed with MMOs released in 2014. As for Wow, expansions should have their own list.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Being a huge The Elder Scrolls fan and my most fav PvP MMO to date is Dark Age of Camelot, it would be very hard to mess up ESO for me. They blew it. They forgot the MMO part of MMOing. Could not team questing was my biggest gripe. Was many other reasons I grew to hate this game. In my 15 years of MMOing this was my biggest let down. 

Is it a decent single player game? If so, i will give it a try when it inevitably turns f2p.

And decent multi player too. Some people just have a hard time adapting to phasing and a few solo-only instances. I group in this game much more than I do in WOW... go figure.

WoW does phasing way better. My wife and I have been playing WoD and have been able to team for every part of it. In ESO about 1/2 the time even on the same quest we could not see each other. Then they had their events for solo play (to many of them) and I would ask, "Why do I play MMO's? To team. Why am I playing ESO?" It has nothing about getting used to phashing, its that ZM did a really bad job of how they used it. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

WoW does phasing way better. My wife and I have been playing WoD and have been able to team for every part of it. In ESO about 1/2 the time even on the same quest we could not see each other. Then they had their events for solo play (to many of them) and I would ask, "Why do I play MMO's? To team. Why am I playing ESO?" It has nothing about getting used to phashing, its that ZM did a really bad job of how they used it. 

may be that is what ESO is about? A single player game but occasionally other players around.

may be that is what ESO is about? A single player game but occasionally other players around.

Im sure it is, but thats why IMO its failing. Most MMOers get into MMOing to make and play with friends. The type of gamer ESO would pull in is that solo gamer. Not my game, not my crowd. Thats why for a MMOrpg, it was the biggest fail of 2014. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Im sure it is, but thats why IMO its failing. Most MMOers get into MMOing to make and play with friends. The type of gamer ESO would pull in is that solo gamer. Not my game, not my crowd. Thats why for a MMOrpg, it was the biggest fail of 2014. 

I doubt that. Otherwise, LFD/LFR and lobby gaming, and solo content wouldn't be so popular in MMOs like WoW. Now if you define "MMOers" to be those "to make and play with friends", then i doubt the group is big enough for the dev to care about.

Heck, i am not one of those "MMOers".

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

The grouping issue in ESO is something they are continually trying to address, they just haven't been able to fix it so far, which is a shame as it is probably one of the games poorest features that isn't actually a result of a bug, but rather, poor coding. At end game though, i think grouping is no longer an issue, not much of a consolation but hopefully they will continue to address that particular issue.

In terms of PC games ESO was probably the worst MMO's launched in 2014, but if you include consoles, then Destiny, imo, was without doubt the worst, mediocre content and sparse at that, coupled with boss mobs that were little more than overly large bullet sponges, poor design and lack of actual content, which the DLC for barely helped and cost too much too, to me just made the game a failure of epic proportionsimage

I doubt that. Otherwise, LFD/LFR and lobby gaming, and solo content wouldn't be so popular in MMOs like WoW. Now if you define "MMOers" to be those "to make and play with friends", then i doubt the group is big enough for the dev to care about.

I play all content with my wife, ESO was one of the few MMOrpgs that we could not team solo and quest content. Thats the thing, solo content is needed but the option to play it with friends needs to be there. Options of teaming is when magic happens in MMOs and ESO flat out messed that up. As I said before, thats why they are the biggest fail of 2014. If people didnt want to team in MMOs, console games would be the place to game. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Narius, more than a few times you have stated that you prefer single player games, and MMO's that are in that model, so i agree, you are not one of those 'MMO'ers. There is nothing wrong with that by the way, its just that there are also players who do prefer to play in groups, or with friends, and where the single player thing is usually the 'lesser option'for those that prefer group play,  that WoW caters to both the group player and the solo player is one of its biggest features, but its not the only game to do so, SW;TOR is another game to do the same thing, to a degree FFXIV;ARR also caters to single players, though to fully enjoy the game you really do need to be prepared to make a few friends.

When it comes to MMO's the Single player is much like the PVP'er, a significant percentage of the overall player base, but not the largest one, which is the group player.

https://blog.rjmetrics.com/2009/06/24/who-plays-mmos-an-analysis-of-mmorpg-player-demographics-and-mmorpg-player-stereotypes/

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

I will probably get banned for saying this, but I voted for ArcheAge.  What a huge disappointment!

To be clear the core game is very good, but the hackers, cheaters, botters, spammers, and publisher greed has buried this otherwise intriguing game under a large pile of crap.  I'm not surprised to see this poll showing disdain for ArcheAge by a wide margin.

Stay away from ArcheAge.  Save your money; don't waste your time.

Originally posted by Phry

Narius, more than a few times you have stated that you prefer single player games, and MMO's that are in that model, so i agree, you are not one of those 'MMO'ers. There is nothing wrong with that by the way, its just that there are also players who do prefer to play in groups, or with friends, and where the single player thing is usually the 'lesser option'for those that prefer group play,  that WoW caters to both the group player and the solo player is one of its biggest features, but its not the only game to do so, SW;TOR is another game to do the same thing, to a degree FFXIV;ARR also caters to single players, though to fully enjoy the game you really do need to be prepared to make a few friends.

When it comes to MMO's the Single player is much like the PVP'er, a significant percentage of the overall player base, but not the largest one, which is the group player.

https://blog.rjmetrics.com/2009/06/24/who-plays-mmos-an-analysis-of-mmorpg-player-demographics-and-mmorpg-player-stereotypes/

Of the MMOs you mentioned, WoW, SWToR and FF, all of their solo content my wife and I were able to team it together. I think ESO would have done much better if their solo content gave you the option to team it. Good post BTW.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

None of these.

That award should be reserved always for any one of the terrible F2P web MMOs or cheaply done imports we're fed year after year.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

None of these.

That award should be reserved always for any one of the terrible F2P web MMOs or cheaply done imports we're fed year after year.

Or ArcheAge.

None of these.

Does anyone really follow that kind of crap? I can only vote on the games I have played and I only play what is deamed tripple A quality. Under that banner, some MMOs have really fallen short. Some so badly even with updates and patches I wonder if they will get the subs they may now deserve. 

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

None of these.

In reality, the worst game is 'the worst game you have played'. People don't really care (or comment much on) about games that they have not tried and/or seen. This means that the worst game is going to be something that was popular enough to draw a crowd, but not good enough to satisfy them.

Originally posted by Superman0X

None of these.

In reality, the worst game is 'the worst game you have played'. People don't really care (or comment much on) about games that they have not tried and/or seen. This means that the worst game is going to be something that was popular enough to draw a crowd, but not good enough to satisfy them.

I think I get Bills plight. Working for MMOrpg.com he maybe forced to try games that fall under web based crap lol. 

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

None of these.

Normally I would agree, and add anything by R2Games to the top of that list. Worst offending publisher of copy/paste games with reskins. Its crazy how fast they pump games out with that model. 

As to the games on the list, I wouldnt call the poll "Worst" game, but most "Disappointing" game. As most of those titles are decent MMOs (except Destiny, but Im just not a fan of lobby gaming), but all have let players down at launch with unpolished or incomplete content and other launch issues. 

I dont play WoW (tried a 7day free trial back in 2006 and hated it), and havent tried Elite:Dangerous, but everything else on the list I have at least played, either Live or Beta. 

While I would agree with many here, Archage was a major disappointment, its not so much about the game itself, but the way its being handled. The game is riddled with botters, hackers and exploiters, taking advantage of issues which have been present in the game since early Alpha stages and theres just no excuse to allow those to continue well past launch without being addressed. 

WildStar was my personal biggest disappointment. Of all the games on that list, WildStar was the highest hype for me. But I only played about 2 weeks into the beta before realizing it wasnt the game for me. The combat wasnt what I was looking for, the setting I just couldnt get into and I just couldnt enjoy any of the classes they offered. What drew me to the game was the fact they had so much to offer, they really tried to "give something for everyone" but in the end that was one of the biggest problems. Whether you wanted large group or small group content, PVE or PVP, Crafting, Housing, the game had it all. But with all that going on, they all felt separate. The game was disjointed into a dozen different pieces and didnt feel like one whole game. In the end, I took a pass on it and never played beyond the better, but followed the game and was glad of my decision as I saw everyone quitting months later. 

ESO and FFXIV are different stories, and nearly opposite from WildStar. I hadnt planned to play either, and jumped into both merely a week or two before launch. While I did play and enjoy both games, Im not currently playing either. And the reason is the same, lack of "stuff to do". Both games launched with missing systems in place. FFXIV had added alot of their missing content in the Dec 2013 patch, which put in housing, PVP (yes there was no PVP at all at launch) and Crystal Tower raiding. If it hadnt taken them 3 months to complete the game, I may still be playing, but as it was, I just couldnt stand around and wait for the content I knew was coming, when simple systems like PVP should have been included when the game launched. ESO is much the same, as they are just now getting to the additional content they needed at launch. A few extra dungeons or heroic versions of the old dungeons just wasnt enough to keep me playing as the months went by. And now with the whole Champion system overhaul, its going to be a much different game in the months to come. This one I still plan to return to when things like the Justice system is complete (the PVP side still isnt coming yet) and the missing Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild are put in, maybe even Imperial City. Knowing all that is coming is great, but not enough to keep me playing in the meantime. I would much rather just wait it out for it to be added and restart my sub then.

Honorable mention goes to Firefall. It took them years in the beta before they actually released. So long in fact, that most people already forgot about the game, and when it was listed as "Launching" everyone took a double take and said, "Didnt that launch 2 years ago?" To their credit, they have overhauled the entire game, and over the course of a very long beta, have managed to turn it into a game that is actually pretty decent. I tried it at the start of the beta, and also more recently I gave it another shot at launch, and while I dont play it still, I recommend it to anyone who likes that style of gameplay. A sci-fi shooter just isnt my personal taste, but its a pretty decent game.

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Nice, this OP should clearly put his head out of his ass and make sure he knows what does even mean MMO and how to define it. Since Destiny isn't MMO at all, and this whole survey is a bullshit. Don't even bother to reply with some "fanboy" comments.

"Destiny?'?s style has been described as a first-person shooter that incorporates role-playing and massively multiplayer online game (MMO) elements, but Bungie has avoided defining Destiny as a traditional MMO game.[6] Instead, the game has been referred to as a "shared-world shooter,"[7] as it lacks many of the characteristics of a traditional MMO game."

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Nah... it's an MMO. But they do have a mix content for groups and solo. Even so, there is still a lot of content that can be trivialized by grouping when the content is clearly aimed at solo play - but not all of it. Some instances are truly solo with no group option.

Some developers are just more serious than others about solo instances being solo. There is still all of Cyrodiil PVP and 95% of other solo quests that can be done grouped + a ton of content (world elite camps with bosses, anchors, ~ 16 repeatable 4-man instanced dungeons, all of the Craglorn zone, raids, a PVE arena) that is specifically designed for groups.

But no, you can not do 100% of it grouped. If that makes it a solo game in your mind, so be it... but we are laughing at you in our groups. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

None of these.

Exactly... League of Angels and Scarlet Blade come to mind image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED