Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should the subscription model go away?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by YashaX

I have to agree, I play quite a few of the games on your list and have spent about the same amounts or less than you. I know there are people that pay a lot more, but there are also people that don't pay at all.

I also have subs to FF14 and ESO and while the games themselves are great, the game tax (sub) really pisses me off. Its not like either of those two games are substantially better than many other mmos (f2p or b2p), and they actually are not better than some single player rpgs like DAI that I only payed for once. 

The only arguments I have seen for justifying a sub are that the money is spent developing the game, keeping the servers up, providing support, and that it keeps the riff-raff out. Its nice to see that FF14 and ESO actually seem to be using the sub money for such ends, but as far as I can see you could achieve the same thing with a box price, cosmetics/services cash shop, and paid dlc/expansions released periodically. How is that not better for consumers than having to pay a sub for every game you are interested in playing?

I AMAZES me that people tolerate Blizzard charging them a sub and making them pay nearly the price of a new game for their expansions (as well as having a cash shop etc). Its like daylight robbery, and people actually defend it! Every subscriber is basically paying them the price of a whole new game every four months and they get to sell any substantial content updates on top of that. Its like they are releasing a million unit selling new game every four months or so with a fraction of the development costs it would take to make a new game.

The only reason why free to play works is that it allows people to the game without strings in the hope that it will make them a customer.

THEN it uncaps what a person can pay so that a small amount of people fund the game with larger amounts of money and that hopefuly the larger mass of people will throw a few bucks the company's way.

The company then hopes that will be enough to make ends meet. Even the head guy there for Final Fantasy 14 said that it's safer and easier to budget with a sub as it won't fluctuate as much as the income from f2p. 

So let's do a little math and some "fun" conjecture.

If 250k people (a decentish amount of people  for an mmo as the dont' all claim WoW numbers by far) paid the 30.00 (as above) for a year of "the secret world, with a 60.00 up front "box price" then that gives us 22.5 million.

Dollars.

For a game that costs much more to initially develop and then you need regular upkeep (which people will take to mean the connections for the players to connect to the game but in reality means keeping the company running) not to mention enough money to put out some sort of expansions.

That won't be as much as the game cost to develop if they are to put out a significant expansion then they are going to have to keep the company up and running for as long as it takes. 

Here is an interesting (and I suppose, older) post by Raph Koster on what goes into funding and continuing mmo development. Though some of this might not be applicable today, most notably packing and putting the game into stores (though there is still some of this) most of what he says I have read in various developer posts since I started seriously following mmo's.

http://www.raphkoster.com/gaming/busmodels.shtml

It costs a lot of money to develop and maintain these things, seemingly more than single player games.

If those whales ever wise up then that's it, "game over" (of course they won't).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Sovrath

It costs a lot of money to develop and maintain these things, seemingly more than single player games.

If those whales ever wise up then that's it, "game over" (of course they won't).

If the whales wise up ... the f2p mmo market would not have grown to such a big size. This is no difference than the booze market, or the cigarette market, or the gambling market.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

If the whales wise up ... the f2p mmo market would not have grown to such a big size. This is no difference than the booze market, or the cigarette market, or the gambling market.

Gambling is a fair comparison.  Alchohol and Cigarettes though are/can be chemically addicting, which is a little different.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Vladric_Hellsinger
       Recently, I have seen many people in game and on various sites complain about  paying a subscription fee. They describe they feel like they are being forced to play the game just to get their sub time worth. Also with many games doing the whole "free to play and cash shop" combo many developers see lots of profit in that. Let's not forget the B2P without a sub and a cashshop. (Looking at Guild Wars 2 which is really doing good as well.) Heck, even some games like SWTOR converted from sub based only to a freemium model with a cash shop and they make a good profit off of it as well. 

Since WOW is really the only game that has been subscription based and a huge success over these past 10 years. (Also FFXIV. Over 2 million subs.) That's really only a whopping two games. I have a feeling that subs will be an even lesser option as the MMO genre continues forward.  

So my question to you is should subscriptions remain or go away completely?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Gambling is a fair comparison.  Alchohol and Cigarettes though are/can be chemically addicting, which is a little different.

True .. and the alcohol market includes wine, which is a totally different story (you can tell, i like wine).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Hence the "of course they won't".

Keep in mind that any f2p game has to keep their whales. As soon as they move on then there will be serious issues. Probably one of the reasons why f2p games in china have a planned obsolescence. 

There was an interview with a gentleman who used to be big in the real money trading business. I believe it was at the GDC, and he was heading a panel of monetizing "your game".

He laid out the road map for f2p games in china, part of it was pushing new servers, more servers and essentially milking as much as could be milked. After which they would sunset the game and do it all over again. 

They pretty much had it down to a science as to how long they could do this, what they needed to do to get people to spend and then once the whales moved on they closed up shop.

Here in the west we have the idea of keeping a game around for a while.

Interesting that even though Lord of the Rings online did very well with its initial f2p conversion, it doesn't really feel to be "all that" at this point in time.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Vladric_Hellsinger
       Recently, I have seen many people in game and on various sites complain about  paying a subscription fee.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by YashaX

I have to agree, I play quite a few of the games on your list and have spent about the same amounts or less than you. I know there are people that pay a lot more, but there are also people that don't pay at all.

I also have subs to FF14 and ESO and while the games themselves are great, the game tax (sub) really pisses me off. Its not like either of those two games are substantially better than many other mmos (f2p or b2p), and they actually are not better than some single player rpgs like DAI that I only payed for once. 

The only arguments I have seen for justifying a sub are that the money is spent developing the game, keeping the servers up, providing support, and that it keeps the riff-raff out. Its nice to see that FF14 and ESO actually seem to be using the sub money for such ends, but as far as I can see you could achieve the same thing with a box price, cosmetics/services cash shop, and paid dlc/expansions released periodically. How is that not better for consumers than having to pay a sub for every game you are interested in playing?

I AMAZES me that people tolerate Blizzard charging them a sub and making them pay nearly the price of a new game for their expansions (as well as having a cash shop etc). Its like daylight robbery, and people actually defend it! Every subscriber is basically paying them the price of a whole new game every four months and they get to sell any substantial content updates on top of that. Its like they are releasing a million unit selling new game every four months or so with a fraction of the development costs it would take to make a new game.

The only reason why free to play works is that it allows people to the game without strings in the hope that it will make them a customer.

THEN it uncaps what a person can pay so that a small amount of people fund the game with larger amounts of money and that hopefuly the larger mass of people will throw a few bucks the company's way.

The company then hopes that will be enough to make ends meet. Even the head guy there for Final Fantasy 14 said that it's safer and easier to budget with a sub as it won't fluctuate as much as the income from f2p. 

So let's do a little math and some "fun" conjecture.

If 250k people (a decentish amount of people  for an mmo as the dont' all claim WoW numbers by far) paid the 30.00 (as above) for a year of "the secret world, with a 60.00 up front "box price" then that gives us 22.5 million.

Dollars.

For a game that costs much more to initially develop and then you need regular upkeep (which people will take to mean the connections for the players to connect to the game but in reality means keeping the company running) not to mention enough money to put out some sort of expansions.

That won't be as much as the game cost to develop if they are to put out a significant expansion then they are going to have to keep the company up and running for as long as it takes. 

Here is an interesting (and I suppose, older) post by Raph Koster on what goes into funding and continuing mmo development. Though some of this might not be applicable today, most notably packing and putting the game into stores (though there is still some of this) most of what he says I have read in various developer posts since I started seriously following mmo's.

http://www.raphkoster.com/gaming/busmodels.shtml

I am not really interested in f2p, I don't think its a good system. It is certainly not as expensive as a sub for many players, but I dislike all the crap that comes with f2p.

I am talking about b2p with paid expansions and services/cosmetics cash shop. Once an mmo is made it should be much cheaper to make expansions than to develop a whole new game. Also once up and running, I doubt an mmo generates a fraction of the expense it took to actually make it every for months or so. Why are we paying the price of a new game every four months? It doesn't make sense.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Whales are in every game.  On-line gaming can be cheap unless you're into something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1SgEM6-B9g

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    they should split servers between p2p and f2p.  p2p has no cash shop. f2p does etc...
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    they should split servers between p2p and f2p.  p2p has no cash shop. f2p does etc...

That won't work probably, because the whales are only spending money if they can get ahead of everyone else, not just their server.

Whales will not be pleased if someone else can get for $15, that was off limits to others before that.

People only spend money on diamonds because the diamond cartels limit supply,

If you start selling diamonds for $15, it's no longer special to people.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Kiyoris
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr

That won't work probably, because the whales are only spending money if they can get ahead of everyone else, not just their server.

Whales will not be pleased if someone else can get for $15, that was off limits to others before that.

People only spend money on diamonds because the diamond cartels limit supply,

If you start selling diamonds for $15, it's no longer special to people.

The whales can buy their way to victory and they could do what rift does and allow free server transfers among f2p severs for f2p players so when they get bored then can dominate a whole new group.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I see the F2P model more like technology that allows us to get every last drop of oil out of a dieing well.  F2P is amazing for monetizing a mediocre/bad game, if you want to suck every last dime out of a dieing game there really is no substitute for the F2P model.

The vast majority of games on the market being F2P says more about the amount of quality games on the market than anything about the long term viability of the subscription model. 

To my knowledge the only game to be very successful with the B2P model is gw1,  which concentrated far more on turning out expansions stuffed with so much content people would find them worth buying rather than a P2W cash shop to support their garbage living story.  The only place B2P really shines is the console world which functions very similarly to the B2P model already.

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148

The only two free to play games I will play are Trove and Marvel Heroes. But I'd rather never get invested or play a F2P game ever again.

I prefer subscriptions. Always have, always will. The reason is I want access to the majority of the content, cosmetics, mounts, pets, raids, ect. With one fee per month, like streaming music. Anyone that complains about the price should refocus their energy on getting more income and come back when in a better place. Or just find a new hobby.  

I want to be able to chose what I want to earn through effort, not based on how much cash I want to throw down. A small cash shop with extra mounts and cosmetic stuff is fine in a subscription game to offer players who do not want to invest effort with a chance to buy things. But the line for me stops there.

F2P games for some people are also more expensive than a subscription.  

I'm not a fan of b2p games either, but it can be done right (ESO could go in that direction, buy to play with shop). I am a firm believer with some form of a cash barrier. The game has a better chance to have a good MMO community. Though I have to admit the kind of genre the game is does add to it as well.

I mean WoW doesn't have a good community but there is also millions of people who play the game for many years. MOBAs suffer a even worse community being completely free to play and has millions of players.

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516

f2p got nothing free about them if you want play them the way im playing mmorpg since 15 years ago

if you want have fun in most of them you need pay real money and trust me you ALWAY pay more that a sub game in the long run and that a cash sink who never stop

that realy frustrating got everything locked and the cash grab you see everywhere ( if you not totaly dumb of course )

will add 100% of them are total trash game.... ya ya guild war 2, anything else ? you guys say a genre fine because we got only one just ''okay'' mmorpg in the pile of shit f2p mmorpg we got when they release about 20 new amazing f2p crap each months?

subs are fine and you get acess to all the contents, that not about money, i got money trust me, that about these f2p game are crap and never updated and they cleary are trying to steal my money with each move they got, this make me mad.

f2p have killed mmorpg and some ''smart guys'' tell me subcription model should go away ???!! LOL....

yeah 2poor for 10buck a months, better get a jobs guys !!

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

A few years back I made some posts in these very forums, about how F2P would be the future of MMORPG's.

Fast forward these few years to today, it is horendous!

I have come to hate F2P model mainly because of the greed and the way it is being implemented. The actual monetization is a travesty.

My mistake for being too trusting that companies would actually have ethical integrity. Hah! it is a money grab as much as you can deal.

No Sir, the Subscription model should not go away because that is what I am willing to play.

I am sick and tired getting the short end of the bargain with F2P MMORPG's, intentionally limited in many areas to incite purchasses, some of which push it so far that it becomes a 50

4 or more monthly deal instead. They must really think of all of us as stupid to be putting games like that in the market.

This feels like the late 18th century early 10th century miracle potion ambulant vendors! Striving for short term profits from whomever is stupid enough to opt in.

Leave a f2P game for a year and come back to it, you will hardly find anyone you knew still playing the people are all new and different.

Are those the games we really want to be playing? Is that the gameng reality we all want?

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP

Your question is not ours to answer. When we have a specific game to focus on each individual can answer the question for themselves. Amy I wiling to pay for this game...or not.

It's a decision we make each time we go to the store looking for an item to buy.

Companies should sell their products the way THEY want too.They can then live with the consequences of their decision. Good or bad.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

So many people in this thread talking about rolling back the clock... they would have a better chance of convincing the world to give up on the automobile and go back to horse and carriages than they would in stopping the cash shop money train for developers.

Just displaying their lack of respect for capitalism and the point of MMOs... (think you know? Nope, not fun, nope, not graphics, nope not community... yep... profit and ONLY profit. So stop telling everyone how it was better back in the good old days, because with all the billions the industry is making over what they made back then... THESE are the good new days. You don't agree? Guess you're not pocketing any of those billions...)

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Unlike many here, I prefer the sub model. 

Joined - July 2004

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by Velocinox

So many people in this thread talking about rolling back the clock... they would have a better chance of convincing the world to give up on the automobile and go back to horse and carriages than they would in stopping the cash shop money train for developers.

Just displaying their lack of respect for capitalism and the point of MMOs... (think you know? Nope, not fun, nope, not graphics, nope not community... yep... profit and ONLY profit. So stop telling everyone how it was better back in the good old days, because with all the billions the industry is making over what they made back then... THESE are the good new days. You don't agree? Guess you're not pocketing any of those billions...)

No, I don't agree - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYMn6pXOmJU&feature=youtu.be&t=26s

This may have been just a movie but the truths are there,"new discoveries are made hourly",  "any kid in their garage working anywhere in the world with a good idea can put us out of business". When the breakthrough comes for MMOs it won't come from an established company. IBM fell, Kodak fell, free to play will fail given time. The first step is consumers awakening and if you don't see that around you - you aren't paying attention.

Its irrelevant if you agree or not. The world is capitalist. Money matters more than feeeeeeeelings.

And what was the point of your post? New discoveries? Kid in his garage? MMO breakthrough??? IBM, Kodak?? NONE of ANY of this addresses that when that kid in the garage, or new discovery, or MMO breakthrough happens its not going to make any difference whatsoever if someone can't get someone else to cough up currency for it.

IBM fell you say? I counter that with its killer... Microsoft... Intel... and what do they share with IBM? They make BILLIONS.

Kodak you say? I give you their killer, the digital photography industry that is making BILLIONS more than Kodak ever did.

Not sure why you wrote that paragraph, unless you were trying to prove my point for me... in which case, Thanks! You did a great job of showing how the only thing that matters in this world is....

MONEY!

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

True .. and the alcohol market includes wine, which is a totally different story (you can tell, i like wine).

You and both my roommates, and their friends, and my friends.

I swear im the worst italian in the world.  I hate wine, don't like tomatoes...

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    No, mainly because I despise the F2P model and everything it represents, changing the development focus from one of 'What will engage and hook our players so that they remain subbed every month,' to 'What inconveniences can we add that will make players want to buy from our cash shop to bypass them."

<3

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

@op no it should come back and f2p should be banned..