Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To those of you who love this game, sell me on it.

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

I'm currently stuck in MMO limbo, unsure of what to play. I log into FFXIV now and then, but nothing really grabs me.

I want a game that I can get fully immersed in, and progression feels rewarding. It's like navigating through a minefield when attempting to search up reviews of the game, as a lot of the reviews are from way back when it launched. 

So, I'm coming to those who love and still play the game. What is it you like about it? This isn't a thread for those who dislike it, as I've heard those arguments plenty. I'd like to hear from the genuinely involved players of this game to know just what it is that keeps you subscribed.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Zenimax are listening and are really trying to just make a good game. The NPC chatter in town makes the game feel alive. The world is huge with things to find which makes exploring feel fun. It has focus on dungeons with open world solo and open world group dungeons. The active combat is the best in any mmo period as with the class / skill customization.

The game had a shacky launch with a lot of bugs and broken quest which all have been mainly fixed. Now Elder Scrolls online is working as intended and now Zenimax is ready to build on the foundation and craft the best mmo experience on the market.image

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

- some of the best stories in MMOs

- the zones are challenging you to explore them

- combat is more challenging then most other games, you will be pressed to perform or you will die a lot.

- the classes are actually a cover up for a skilltree system, you advance these trees by ussing them and spending skillpoints in them

- you keep earning skillpoints by finishing Quests, finding skyshards all over the world and by leveling

- next patch they will introduce the champion system, which allows you to progress your max level character

- there are over a dozen instanced group dungeons, there are hundreds of solo dungeons, and over 15 open world dungeons..

- the PvP battlefield is huge, on top of the PvP there is a lot of PvE objectives too.

- soon there will be a justice system, introducing new gameplay, and finally allowing people to play an evil character

if you like good stories, then these stories/quests have the abbility to immerse you into the world..

and altough the game has more character progression then any other MMO, it seems with the current changes they are choosing for a verticall gear progression system, where you will have to keep upgrading your gear for every new build you fancy

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Originally posted by GPrestige

I'm currently stuck in MMO limbo, unsure of what to play. I log into FFXIV now and then, but nothing really grabs me.

I want a game that I can get fully immersed in, and progression feels rewarding. It's like navigating through a minefield when attempting to search up reviews of the game, as a lot of the reviews are from way back when it launched. 

So, I'm coming to those who love and still play the game. What is it you like about it? This isn't a thread for those who dislike it, as I've heard those arguments plenty. I'd like to hear from the genuinely involved players of this game to know just what it is that keeps you subscribed.

This is coming from someone who has been playing since beta. I would have to say the steady updates they push out, and the fact that they are adding new features and such regularly shows that they are truely trying. The first person view is a nice treat, they added gathering/fishing and looting animations in first persona finally, though the combat animations are a bit stiff atm they are working on them. They will be adding more crafting types and even more guilds to join, There is no global auction house (winner in my book) so you can actually haggle with other players to get items and not have to worry about that set price. The game is quite populated considering all the negative reviews. Do not go in to the game expecting a single player TES game though or you will be let down, This is a mmo first TES game second, so there are leveld areas and such. BUT i still found exploration rewarding and had fun.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I am currently playing SWTOR and enjoying it. But it's one of those MMOs that I can take in doses. So probably in a few months, I'll move on. 

I am planning on buying ESO this week before the sale ends. Not sure if I'll activate it right away but There is no reason not to pick it up at the price it's going for now.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Is it still on sale? Where?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

https://www.g2a.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-standard-version-explorers-pack-dlc-30-days-game-time-cd-key-global.html

20€

Explorers pack is extra CD key that alows you to play any race on any faction.

Quite nifty :)

See you online :)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by GPrestige
    Is it still on sale? Where?

Directly from them. The Imperial edition is  $29.99 Canadian at the moment. Not sure what that is $US or Euro.

https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

- some of the best stories in MMOs

- the zones are challenging you to explore them

- combat is more challenging then most other games, you will be pressed to perform or you will die a lot.

- the classes are actually a cover up for a skilltree system, you advance these trees by ussing them and spending skillpoints in them

- you keep earning skillpoints by finishing Quests, finding skyshards all over the world and by leveling

- next patch they will introduce the champion system, which allows you to progress your max level character

- there are over a dozen instanced group dungeons, there are hundreds of solo dungeons, and over 15 open world dungeons..

- the PvP battlefield is huge, on top of the PvP there is a lot of PvE objectives too.

- soon there will be a justice system, introducing new gameplay, and finally allowing people to play an evil character

if you like good stories, then these stories/quests have the abbility to immerse you into the world..

and altough the game has more character progression then any other MMO, it seems with the current changes they are choosing for a verticall gear progression system, where you will have to keep upgrading your gear for every new build you fancy

All of the above, it also looks great, and has tons of nice little details such as slowing down when you walk through knee-deep water, a day and night cycle, etc... it also has a pretty fun crafting system.

And I have to say I'm quite fond of the mount customization too, how you can train it to be faster, have more stamina or to carry more weight (extra inventory space!).

As mentioned above the stories are awesome, with great voice acting, and often featuring recurring characters. I've always liked the latter because let's face it, what great TV show or novel doesn't have these? There's plenty of new faces too of course, but it's nice every now and then to be able to go "Hey! I remember you! We fought together x! How are you holding up these days?"

It's also one of the MMOs where you can make choices in the storylines, similar to SWTOR and GW2 (probably more close to the latter than the former), adding some nice interactivity. Also if you're the kind of RPG player that loves to talk to every single NPC in-game, you'll have a lot of fun.

Can't speak much for the PvP, since I took a long break from ESO because my old computer kept freezing up every couple of minutes, which was annoying as hell. But I definitely intend to enter Cyrodil one of these days now that everything runs perfectly smooth.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AkhratosAkhratos Member Posts: 25

You can find it at kinguin for:

9.99€ - Game and 30 days.

1.42€ - Explorer Edition Upgrade.

Id say its worth a shot, at the very least.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Not really sure what to add to what has already been posted above.

The world is beautiful. The combat is fun and challenging. 

To expand on what someone said earlier about the classes being a coverup for a skill system. This is very true.

Think about it, you can be a sorcerer and wear heavy armor and carry a 2h sword and be a beast once your learn how to play said character. Also you can be a werewolf or a vampire.

Organized PvP with a guild is tons of fun.

The game is well worth my time and money.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Read the ESO  and Reddit forums to get a feel for the current state of the game, then decide.  Best of luck what ever you do.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Do not ask for someone to sell you on it. Selling is narrowing vision in order to suit a specific need.

Expand your understanding. Research what the game IS about and decide if this fits your interests.

You stay sassy!

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Do not ask for someone to sell you on it. Selling is narrowing vision in order to suit a specific need.

Expand your understanding. Research what the game IS about and decide if this fits your interests.

This. All day long. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Bingo ^^

- is it the style of MMO you like?

- look at videos and read reviews

- if still looks good the game will sell itself.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I'll repost this here from an earlier post today. I'm all about character customization. 

There are 10 different races all with different racial bonuses. Each class has 36 active skills and 12 passives. Outside of classes there are armor, world, guild and Alliance war skill lines and passives which all classes can use.  When you couple this with being able to ware all armor in any stat/enchantment configuration you are able to develop lots of unique play styles. 

I'm a chronic respec'er. Skills and customization are everything to me. For 8 months I played/developed one character, a Redguard, medium armor, stamina based, Nightblade, Werewolf. I use two handed weapons and a bow. I have never seen anyone with my build. I've played this build to top 10 every Alliance War campaign solo. 

I just leveled a new character. He's a Redguard, light/heavy armor stamina based, sorcerer, vampire. Once at level cap I plan to put him in light/medium armor with high stam and magicka with low health. He will rely on armor buffs and shields for survivabilty. 

My point is I have not played a more flexible character system. At any point, I can change all that I've said about both those toons. I could make my NB a light armor healer. My sorcerer a heavy armor tank. My biggest concern when starting ESO was that there would not be enough customization. In the customization department ESO has surpassed anything that I could have expected.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    DAoC had more races and skills and even positional ones so have to say ESO is behind on that score.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Can you travel seamlessly from one zone to another without a loading screen like WoW?
    Nope but zones are a lot bigger so it doesn't feel oppressive. Think inbetween wow zones and wows loading screens (boats, worlds etc)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I bought this game during the steam sale because WOW's new expansion has quickly soured for me. The graphics are gorgeous, the lore is rich and the world seems alive. I love to play with other people but it seems that happens too rarely. I am a level 13 Templar that has skill points put into all three of the available trees with a focus on the mellee build. I seem to die allot and I am not sure if that is due to my lack of skill, crappy build or overall difficulty of the game; I see other characters of only slightly higher level blowing through areas that I have trouble with. Overall I really enjoy this game, the only real hang up I have is the slow travel. You can, of course, buy a horse but it costs thousands of gold and gold for me is very hard to come by. I am sure someone will pop up and tell you that they farted in the sand on some hidden beach and uncovered a trove of gold the likes of which man nor beast have ever seen...which allowed them to buy a whole horde of stallions...but it is slow going for me. Keep in mind there are quick travel stations but they all cost you gold to use, which strangely takes you further and further away from being able to buy a horse. I have not yet decided whether to stick with this game or not but I must say that this company has put a ton of effort into the game, and continue to do so...If you fancy a AAA game that is finally coming into its own then give this a try.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by kitarad
    DAoC had more races and skills and even positional ones so have to say ESO is behind on that score.

DAoC had an EQ-like class system that was popular 14 years ago... that was a nightmare to balance and had old-fashioned over the top incredibly long CC with no CC break... and that, was after they fixed the permanent stun-lock that gave Midgard its nickname "stungard."

It was fun for its time but had all kinds of shit in it that PVPers just wouldn't put up with today. The faction specific classes were a nifty idea and would have been an even better one if they had ever managed to balance them.

And they were also all locked-in to class skills and to the armor and weapon allowed for that class.

ESO's system shows what 14 years of refinement does to improve class systems.

"Behind on that score" is what a casual observer that knows very little about ESO and DAoC might say. But anyone who has played both and is not a blind DAoC fan would know that this is one hell of an improvement on what DAoC offered as far as character building in unique ways is concerned.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by damond5031
    I bought this game during the steam sale because WOW's new expansion has quickly soured for me. The graphics are gorgeous, the lore is rich and the world seems alive. I love to play with other people but it seems that happens too rarely. I am a level 13 Templar that has skill points put into all three of the available trees with a focus on the mellee build. I seem to die allot and I am not sure if that is due to my lack of skill, crappy build or overall difficulty of the game; I see other characters of only slightly higher level blowing through areas that I have trouble with. Overall I really enjoy this game, the only real hang up I have is the slow travel. You can, of course, buy a horse but it costs thousands of gold and gold for me is very hard to come by. I am sure someone will pop up and tell you that they farted in the sand on some hidden beach and uncovered a trove of gold the likes of which man nor beast have ever seen...which allowed them to buy a whole horde of stallions...but it is slow going for me. Keep in mind there are quick travel stations but they all cost you gold to use, which strangely takes you further and further away from being able to buy a horse. I have not yet decided whether to stick with this game or not but I must say that this company has put a ton of effort into the game, and continue to do so...If you fancy a AAA game that is finally coming into its own then give this a try.

if it helps  i'm at level 33 and i get 100-500 gold per quest so it will would no time to get the 17k together to get a horse soon enough.  I ended up paying £10 to buy one online for the bag slots, well worth it :)  The other thing is i often don't use the horse because i end up stopping every couple minutes when i finds resources/chests/quests etc so its not a deal breaker.

• seanvwolfseanvwolf Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by damond5031

Good input.  The real secret to getting through the solo content is to do ALL the quests you can (even the ones under your level), explore everything (skyshards and world bosses), till you get about 2 levels higher than the mobs you are fighting, because with those quests, explorations, and extra time you invest in each section of a single zone, the stronger you will be which means you'll be able to loot more and sell more, meaning more gold.  You shouldn't worry about a horse till about lvl 20 which is when most people just playing have scrounged enough to purchase one, unless you've been fast traveling or repairing too much.  There's no real reason to repair at such low levels as you should be crafting simple pieces or wearing what you don't sell... It's a refined process and one with a learning curve for the uninitiated but once you understand what gold is worth and what to spend it on, it won't really be an issue until end game when you start pricing for dropped item sets, tannins, and rare materials and motifs.  You can fast travel for free from wayshrine to wayshrine, so if you are concerned about that cost, just explore till you find a wayshrine nearby (or until you die, which will do the same thing) and use that in the interim.  Good luck and see you in game if you are ever on the NA megaserver!

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Can you travel seamlessly from one zone to another without a loading screen like WoW?

Yes because that is such an important aspect of any mmo.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by damond5031 Keep in mind there are quick travel stations but they all cost you gold to use, which strangely takes you further and further away from being able to buy a horse.
    Those shrines are free to use if you use a shrine to travel to another one. It costs money when you travel to a shrine from anywhere except a shrine.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

My tactic was to pump everything into bags and banks, makes it much more efficient - loot everything, surprising how quick the money builds up. I also crafted everything appart from bs to give me an early gathering cash flow.