Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Heartfelt Tribute Shows Community in MMOs is Still Relevant

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

When people talk about their experiences gaming online, especially in MMORPGs, it can often feel overwhelmingly negative. It’s not uncommon to hear that MMOs are irrelevant, too expensive, cash grabs, superficial, and at worst, have ‘communities’ in name only, full of either apathy or trolling. Take your pick. Yet, while the genre has seen shifts over time, there is still something about MMORPGs that remains unique, and brings out the best in online community. Unfortunately, these moments of a community’s finest all too often happen as they do in real life - in moments of difficulty or tragedy.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's The Social Hub: Heartfelt Tribute Shows Community in MMOs is Still Relevant.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    The whole Sanctum of Rall server on GW2. One heckuva tribute. :)

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by victorbjr

Yeah, few folks outside of Gaiscioch or GW2 really know that one.

http://www.sanctumofrall.com/about/legend.html

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    MMO communities tend to be microcosms of real life (at least in the US). People tend to to be separate, living their own lives, keeping to themselves... until someone in the community around them is in need, then everyone comes together to help. It's still there in MMOs...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Before I clicked on this I thought, bet it's not a F2P game.

Then after reading it I thought, those people that play these as single player games are so missing out.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• silkillionsilkillion Member Posts: 2

Reminds me of when we lost people while I was playing MUDs back in the day - we lost a GM to suicide and to this day a monument to him still stands in the game (over 10 years later).

The best part of playing a MMO is the company you keep.

• ZzadistZzadist Member UncommonPosts: 35

This is why I play MMOs. The community will touch you so profoundly. 

This reminds me of when we lost Sean "Vile Rat" Smith in EVE Online to the Benghazi attack. 

http://www.themittani.com/news/rip-vile-rat

http://youtu.be/pzBGHNzGi8M

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

People tend to forget that we, as humans, have a fundamental need to socialize. It isn't recognized as the real reason why we all come together on MMO's or any other games, social sites,  and or activities that involve others, even be it on just the internet, BUT it is the real main reason we are here, be it reading this post, playing games online together, playing solo but communicating < minor socialization > via forums, or even just sitting in a chat services talking with others about anything common.  Doesn't matter if its about the games we play, this weeks sports, world news, politics, or even religion, its all based on our human need to socialize, even if just a little, to survive and stay sane mentally.

I am sure some will disagree with me on this, but science backs me up 100%. We all have a need for at least minimal socialization with other human beings. MMO's , gaming online ,  forums, twitters, facebook, doesn't matter what we call it, it full fills our basic need to socialize.

So to say community is still relevant is an understatement . Its Required!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Community is indeed everything and the only reason I stay in a game otherwise I am gone after the new wears off.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Making friends in an MMO does not make them any less real, and for me, the communities in the games i play are often why i play them. So many times you hear about bad behaviour in various MMO's by a few individuals, and so often, the good things are left out, its only when something like this happens that attention is brought on just how good, not to mention caring, these communities often are, i don't think FFXIV;ARR is alone in having this, but its a very good sign that it does.
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

Although these all seem to happen during the worst times, it is great to see there are communities supporting these folks.  This is the first instance of me hearing about any of these instances, like codex or Wowmom.  Very interesting and wonderful to hear.

I had my own experience in this when a fellow guild member had died and we had an in-game funeral for her with her BF and all of us old & new guildies.  Although it was rudely interrupted by Saga PVPing everyone in wintersgrasp but at least it showed a good community back then.  I'm glad that there are still these kind of communities thriving no matter how big or small.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Originally posted by zzadist

This is why I play MMOs. The community will touch you so profoundly.  

This reminds me of when we lost Sean "Vile Rat" Smith in EVE Online to the Benghazi attack. 

http://www.themittani.com/news/rip-vile-rat

http://youtu.be/pzBGHNzGi8M

Thanks for posting this.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Wow, that brought a tear to my eye!

It really shows what MMO's could be like community wise if perhaps we weren't all out there trying to win!   Still looking for one where people come together to create things things or to solve problems, versus just constant conflict.    That always seems to bring out our worst side.

Well done FFARR community and thanks for the article.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• AreteoAreteo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Community?  I remember that.  Pity it doesn't really exist in any current MMO...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

The community is still there but is there in spite of the games, not because of them. Good to hear about Codex and his exploits.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    reminds me of when the old nite passed in runescape.  That game really had a community back in the day.
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757

There was also The Moraj Memorial  on Tatooine in SWG.

It was placed for a beta tester killed in a car accident.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Remindse of vile rat and ribbitribbitt, I participated in both of those sadly.

It's sad that it often takes a tragic event to make you realize the great people around you.

Rip codex.

And a big plus to ff14, a rare game (along with eve and eq2) where community is, as the design would say, a feature.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Interesting article.  I had no idea this happened.  It's good to read about.

However, this part of your article made me cringe:

"Yet, the spirit of community is still alive if you look for it."

One should not have to look for socialization in a genre built around social interactions.  Massively Multiplayer does not mean "Solo til you drop."  It also does not mean play with random strangers in order to get anything accomplished.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

One should not have to look for socialization in a genre built around social interactions.  Massively Multiplayer does not mean "Solo til you drop."  It also does not mean play with random strangers in order to get anything accomplished.

In any endeavor where many people come together, there will always be those that seek to tell everyone else how they should behave.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Velocinox

Interesting article.  I had no idea this happened.  It's good to read about.However, this part of your article made me cringe:
    "Yet, the spirit of community is still alive if you look for it."One should not have to look for socialization in a genre built around social interactions.  Massively Multiplayer does not mean "Solo til you drop."  It also does not mean play with random strangers in order to get anything accomplished.

In any endeavor where many people come together, there will always be those that seek to tell everyone else how they should behave.
    So very true! Pot. Meet kettle.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Really?

Your response is, Nuh uh! You are!

How old are you?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Really?

How old are you?

Wise to have changed that post, lol.

P.S. he made an accurate observation. image

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by victorbjr

This is what I was thinking the entire time I was reading this. In fact, I joined the server because the story influenced me! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Cecropia

Really?

How old are you?

Wise to have changed that post, lol.

P.S. he made an accurate observation. image

Accurate?

He's using the false argument that stopping him from restricting others is restricting him.

That's like saying preventing people from killing people for their beliefs isn't promoting freedom of belief, it's restricting the killer's freedom to kill... it's unadulterated wordplay to defend an untenable position.

Calling someone out for dictating to others what is the 'right' way to play a game isn't restricting their rights, it's preventing them from restricting other people's rights... bottom line. The rest is childish sophistry.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Of all the threads on this forum to start a petty argument...

Can we please not have this in just one thread? Please?