Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Damn the combat

13»

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I disagree that combat is simplistic in the tougher battles ,it is of fact anything but,SEVERAL runs were needed to figure them out.However on a whole combat is weak and the reason i lost interest.Well i also don't want to play another WOW game grinding gear progressions,that is a dumb reason to play any game.

Needing several runs to figure out a boss doesn't mean the combat is complex. It means they have decent boss mechanics. Though it does say something that today needing to do a boss fight more than once somehow means its difficult.

Well, to be honest all MMO combat systems are boring as hell. It's a button mashing exercise. True you can try and optimise your button mashing but it's still meh. In terms of boss mechanics and raids, raids today are ten times more complex than what was in the first batch of MMOs. For example, EQ raid mechanics were just laughable. Anyone doing them today would easily destroy those raids if it wasn't for the artificial gates put in place.

FFXIV relies too much on one shot mechanics in my opinion. Do this wrong, boom dead. I guess that's fine but a lot of the boss mechanics also assume that you would be expecting something to happen as sometimes you don't even have 1 sec to move out of those red zones so unless you're expectng it to happen, you will get hit.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Well, to be honest all MMO combat systems are boring as hell. It's a button mashing exercise. True you can try and optimise your button mashing but it's still meh. 

That's not true.  A few games have things like active blocking, dodging, aiming, actual aggro management, and distinctly different spell usage depending on the always changing situations.

Playing my sorc in TERA now is like night and day compared to my blm in FFXIV.  

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Well, to be honest all MMO combat systems are boring as hell. It's a button mashing exercise. True you can try and optimise your button mashing but it's still meh. 

That's not true.  A few games have things like active blocking, dodging, aiming, actual aggro management, and distinctly different spell usage depending on the always changing situations.

BLM is the most boring class to play IMO. Too much standing around waiting for casts to go off. I hated leveling it. I have a lot more fun on Bard, Summoner, Monk, or even a tank.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

BLM is the most boring class to play IMO. Too much standing around waiting for casts to go off. I hated leveling it. I have a lot more fun on Bard, Summoner, Monk, or even a tank.

Yeah, like I said, I think part of the problem is that I picked blm.  But it's not all of it, I'm sure.

It's weird because I really enjoyed ffxi combat, but that may be because I was heavily medicated at the time.  

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Yeah, like I said, I think part of the problem is that I picked blm.  But it's not all of it, I'm sure.

It's weird because I really enjoyed ffxi combat, but that may be because I was heavily medicated at the time.  

I would be willing to guess you wouldn't like ffxi combat now. For all the people talking about FFXIV combat being slow it's 5x faster than ffxi. In xi it's a lot of watching your toon auto attack, using weapon skills, with the occasional ability thrown in. Cooldowns for almost all abilities in ffxi are measured in minutes not seconds. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Korzeam

I recently tried the game again and found it to be really amazing except for one thing- the combat!  People have talked about it before but it's just too slow to be any fun.

I leveled up to 50 and started the progression and even with the harder battles it's still pretty simplistic.

It's a terrible shame too because the rest of the game is without a doubt the best themepark I've ever played- graphics, story, things to do etc.- all of it beyond top notch.

Now part of it may be because I was a blm, but still I can't see it being much better on another class.

I recently tried the free trial again, and i must agree on the combat.... it almost feels like the orriginal FF7, so static...

I am finally realizing how much combat has grown ever since the orriginal EQ...   Combat in games like GW2 and ESO is probably more my take, it feels much more interactive then this old stand still and hit your sword type of combat

If you think the combat is static, it's because you probably not reached lvl 50.

The combat is 10 times less static than Wow for example.

But it's true that at low levels (<30) the combat is too slow and you don't have enough skills.

Well, to bad for them, i never got past level 7 in this game (okay level 20+ in beta) and its not getting any better, i will never reach the glorified max level....  espescially not in this game that has you play over lower level content time and time again to level different classes....

I play for the journey, and if the journey is not fun, or even irritating me like with this game, i quit.. simple as that

I found that to be a big con for me too. I mean leveling your first clss is okay with the storyline to follow and having quests to do etc. You only need to get over the slow combat in the beginning.

But after your later classes become a pain. You run out of quests and you are mostly left with grinding dungeons/fates with an incredibly boring 10-35 combat.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by k11keeper

I would be willing to guess you wouldn't like ffxi combat now. For all the people talking about FFXIV combat being slow it's 5x faster than ffxi. In xi it's a lot of watching your toon auto attack, using weapon skills, with the occasional ability thrown in. Cooldowns for almost all abilities in ffxi are measured in minutes not seconds. 

It's hard to tell.  At least there were skillchains.  But I did play a RDM, meaning I constantly had to be casting and running around like a madman managing debuffs and keeping Refresh up on everyone.  I didn't use macros at the time so I was flipping through menus like crazy, using a controller and keyboard to type.

It was actually quite involving, but if i had played BLM maybe not so much.

Plus I liked the fact that it was forced grouping, meaning you actually had a chance at having a conversation with someone since you were stuck with them (ideally) for like 5-6 hours.

All in all I think I've just been spoiled by action combat games like TERA which I'm playing again.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I recently tried the game again and found it to be really amazing except for one thing- the combat!  People have talked about it before but it's just too slow to be any fun.

I leveled up to 50 and started the progression and even with the harder battles it's still pretty simplistic.

It's a terrible shame too because the rest of the game is without a doubt the best themepark I've ever played- graphics, story, things to do etc.- all of it beyond top notch.

Now part of it may be because I was a blm, but still I can't see it being much better on another class.

I recently tried the free trial again, and i must agree on the combat.... it almost feels like the orriginal FF7, so static...

I am finally realizing how much combat has grown ever since the orriginal EQ...   Combat in games like GW2 and ESO is probably more my take, it feels much more interactive then this old stand still and hit your sword type of combat

If you think the combat is static, it's because you probably not reached lvl 50.

But it's true that at low levels (<30) the combat is too slow and you don't have enough skills.

Please explain how WoW's combat is 10 times more static than FFXIV. 

Joined - July 2004

• KorzeamKorzeam Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by remyburke

Well it's simple.

Ther are much more aoe to avoid in FF14 than in Wow.

"10 times" is a little bit exagereted, i can let you that. :)

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by remyburke

Well it's simple.

Ther are much more aoe to avoid in FF14 than in Wow.

"10 times" is a little bit exagereted, i can let you that. :)

I agree, to add to that, just because WoW makes you hit 50 buttons per minute compared to FFXIV 20-25, doesn't mean that WoW is more technical or difficult.  Play a dungeon at 50 or even some of the 40ish ones.  That 3 seconds in between your next decision can become the longest 3 seconds you've had in a game...especially for tanks.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I have been playing this game since beta. I find the combat to slow for my taste and have not engaged in any type of combat for well over a year now.

That being said, I still have more content than I know what to do with and I average about 15 hours a week enjoying all of ffxiv's non combat activities.

With golden saucer coming in the next couple months with chocobo racing, mini games, CCG, and airships in the future, I am literally overwhelmed with fun and engaging content without ever even equipping a single weapon.

Take what you will from that. But for me, ffxiv is one of the best mmorpgs I've ever played