Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Great MMO Face Off Winners Announced

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Danendyn
    It's not about the game it's about the player community. I am not complaining about the winner or any game, but I still believe that LOTRO has the best bunch of players out there and they did come out to show their support for the game they enjoy playing with each other.

It's important to support the games you like. I think players have come to realize this after getting some of their favorite MMOs yanked from underneath them (CoH, SWG and Vanguard to name only a few of those that got the axe).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by DMKano

What really happened

1. Poll allowed votes from brand new accounts -  and unlimited account creation from a single IP - check

2. Poll greatly benefited MMORPG.COM with getting more accounts and traffic - check

3. Game companies that needed the publicity let their playerbase known to go and vote - check

Can we see results that exclude all votes from accounts created in the last month?

Your preferred game didn't make the list and you slinging paranoia at em? :D

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • mactographymactography Member Posts: 16

TSW is too old as is LoTR to be game of 2014 imho. 

If it includes any mmo from any year then none of them would win

• spiritryder1962spiritryder1962 Member Posts: 1
    I made an account to vote for my personal favourite game and guess what the competition has ended and I'm still here. :)
    Originally posted by spiritryder1962
    I made an account to vote for my personal favourite game and guess what the competition has ended and I'm still here. :)

Gotta take part in the victory celebrations after all. Here, have some mead!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• GeneromachinaGeneromachina Member Posts: 1
    Wooh, go ESO! So much butthurt in these comments, I drink your tears.
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

What really happened

1. Poll allowed votes from brand new accounts -  and unlimited account creation from a single IP - check

2. Poll greatly benefited MMORPG.COM with getting more accounts and traffic - check

3. Game companies that needed the publicity let their playerbase known to go and vote - check

Can we see results that exclude all votes from accounts created in the last month?

Yup we can , but you must hate it since Archeage is not in the list.....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• pookirpookir Member UncommonPosts: 72
    ahahahaha wtf?
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Ok.

Now we can forget that this even happened.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Generomachina
    Wooh, go ESO! So much butthurt in these comments, I drink your tears.

They need to file a report

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BrumeBrume Member UncommonPosts: 62
    ESO First MMO? I understand Lord of the Rings as a runner up.. No WoW, Guild wars or Eve Online?? I think 2014 was a very dark time for MMO
  • BrandalfBrandalf Member UncommonPosts: 4

ESO deserves every bit of positivity it can get after the shitshow of "reviews" that accompanied it's launch. They weren't without their legitimate complaints but it was blown far out of proportion. The problem is nobody seemed to know how to review it. As an MMO, a single player game, both? That lead to problems. People comparing it to Skyrim or to WoW, etc. It is it's own beast and should be judged on it's own merits, not compared to some other games that are kinda like it but not quite comparable.

It's not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine but the amount of ignorant hate that's been spewed at this game since release due to these types of reviews really show the game in a much more negative light than it ever deserved. For those that are curious about it as well as those that may have jumped ship at launch I say come back and check it out once update 6 goes live sometime(presumably) in February. Those that subbed at one point might even be able to get some free time to check the game out again if they contact support(happened a lot recently). It's been one hell of a ride in 2014 and I can't wait to see where they take the game in 2015 and beyond!

I would also like to say congrats to TSW, EVE and LOTRO and their obviously passionate communities for making it into the final four!

• JoltiusJoltius Member Posts: 1
    Will you ESO haters please finally stfu? Lotro was advertising the competition too, don't be so butthurt you don't work for the companies.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

What really happened

So Archeage didn't win eh

• metallihammetalliham Member Posts: 94
    MMORPG has officially jumped the shark.
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Congrats to ESO for winning Best MMO 2014 in what has probably been the worst year for MMORPGs in 15 years. /clap

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

What I find funny, I only voted in the first round. Yet, two of the three games I came to support made the top three. I came to vote for LoTRO, TSW, and DDO. Aside from WoW, I have no issues with any of the other games (I got banned from WoW a few years ago for talking about another game in general chat. Namely, talking about all the things that I liked about DDO in comparison to WoW). Many of them just didn't hold my interest. Congrats to the ESO dev crew and fans.

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Another victory for ESO! Excellent! Congratulation to all the winners (and also to all losers that managed to take it with some dignity) 
     W...aaagh?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Even though i didnt vote, i cant see how a game that charges the same price as something like WoW but its less polished and has less content can be the winner here. It does have potential, but it isnt a real winner until a bunch more content and improvement updates hit the game. That is just me.

Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    Even though i didnt vote, i cant see how a game that charges the same price as something like WoW but its less polished and has less content can be the winner here. It does have potential, but it isnt a real winner until a bunch more content and improvement updates hit the game. That is just me.

Well, most subscription based MMOs charge roughly $10-15 a month. It's been that way since MMOs came into existence. As for comparing the amount of content in a game thats not even a year old to a game that has been around over a decade, come on man.

Quality over quantity in this case.

• AlecientAlecient Member CommonPosts: 7
    Congratulations to TESO! I personally prefer TSW but I understand that TESO has bigger and dedicated community, so the win is well deserved.
  • moujic34moujic34 Member Posts: 2

hye,

Anybody can be objective.?... Eve, TSW, are another sort of games than ESO or LOTRO.? other style, other universe, and, for ESO, one gamplay totaly new...

You want to compare too much differents games, players of EVE or TSW (and same for LOTRO), are totaly differents than ESO's players. 

ESO is a separate community of players, faithful, for the most part, at least since MORROWIND. It is clear that different from most other MMOs. A simplified management UI but ample, a style of play immersing players (real players role play), a unique world, full of history, legends, beliefs and so various races that can play for hours without tiring. Now it's on for the followers of nags games where the only goal is to get to max level faster, and spend his time doing PvP or Dungeon, well, this game is not for them. This is a game where you must, from time to time to reflect a minimum. Not bad we wanted to do "rushing" and mount Vet14 max 2 months, it's doable, but result today they get tired of the game ...

We we are a small guild, Adult, with private lives, but that we take our time, we discover the game, and the more we advance, the more we discover things in the game.

That's all that to say, we have to stop some disparaging a game when you do not really know.

Personally, I play a lot of MMOs (AION (two years), Everquest (I and II about 4 years), WoW (a brief stint) LOTRO (two years), Shayia (F2P not bad but ONLY when like THAT PvP, so on arrival nags game), and some other more or less known. in parallel, I played the Elder Scrolls series from the beginning, and his world, his style of play me much more. open World, where the discovery premium before everything else, actions of freedom (soon the establishment flights and justice in ESO), fluid gameplay (compared to many), beautiful graphics (depending of course machines but that's for all games;)) .And for once no color "style Manga" (real trees, walls and floors as well, not the kind of absurd colors voilacée bark of trees, no flowers or stuffs to colors too bright big difference with ALL the Asian Games or was more like a carnival dasn be as attorneys in a role play.)

Well, in all fairness, I think ESO deserves its leadership, given the many risks they take with their innovations (True megaserveur, playability and unique gameplay ... etc). After the main, both for the players to ZeniMax is that fans of the series or what kind of games thrive in this world, which is largely the case ... For other tastes and colors being in nature, nothing forces you to play ESO, so instead of criticizing uninstalled and played something else ...

Best Regards

• Devious922Devious922 Member Posts: 1
    ESO is a great mmo. And it only gets better and better because the devs actually give a shit. Only reason why there is so much negativity towards it is because the haters always make the most noise... and of course the haters are also the stupid ppl who taught they were going to get skyrim online.. but guess what it's not a single player game it an mmo.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Grats to all the winners. I've played 2 out of the 3 and they've each brought something to the genre that I enjoyed. Whether that's TSO's questing or LoTRO's atmosphere. The 3rd is still waiting to be opened as I'm waiting for it to ripen a bit.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• HatkakeHatkake Member Posts: 28

Congratulations to ESO for the win (no pun intended).

And a hooray to LOTRO for taking second.

Big hugs to "my game" TSW for taking third.

EVE also deserves honourable mention for being the fourth most face-offy MMO of 2014.

The vote has showcased some pretty damn fine games and everyone should give themselves a hug and a pat on the back (not nescessarily in that order).

"You could call it a psychotic experience, but she was very happy about it," van Os said. "There isn't always a need for care when there's an instance of psychosis."