Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth coming back to?

I haven't played this game in a year have I missed anything good? 

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

The fans will tell you it's worth coming back.

The haters will tell you it isn't.

/thread

But the joking aside - there are 2 new areas for farming and a new free story instance every 2 weeks (if you log in within 14 days after it was released)

Harbinger of Fools
  • Has the population died down alot? 
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Vladric_Hellsinger
    Has the population died down alot? 

Compared to release timeframe?  Yes

Any more than any other MMO that's been released for a while?  Not really

If the current population of ESO, Wildstar, FFIVXI, et al is considered too low to you, GW2 won't be any different.

• Wait Final Fantasy XIV, has over two million subs. So does that mean that Guild Wars 2 has about the same?
  • iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Has the population died down alot? 

Compared to release timeframe?  Yes

Any more than any other MMO that's been released for a while?  Not really

If the current population of ESO, Wildstar, FFIVXI, et al is considered too low to you, GW2 won't be any different.

^ This.

Compared to current MMO standards, GW2 is one of the most active MMOs population-wise however it is no longer in that superior state that it had at release.

PS. FF14 doesn't ahve 2 million subs in the west. We are talking about the state in the western industry. FF14 is mostly popular in asia. If we are talking about the western MMO industry, GW2 is still more popular.

Wait Final Fantasy XIV, has over two million subs. So does that mean that Guild Wars 2 has about the same?

That was a misquote that is still being used. What Yoshi said was that there are 2 million accounts.

FF14 is doing well but there is no official sub number.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Originally posted by Dakeru
    Wait Final Fantasy XIV, has over two million subs. So does that mean that Guild Wars 2 has about the same?

That was a misquote that is still being used. What Yoshi said was that there are 2 million accounts.

So Guild Wars 2 going be doing just as well or better in the West for all we know? 

Just like FF (and any other MMO) there is no official active player number.

However the server is using mega server technology and the dailies lead people around the world so you should find other players no matter where you go.

Harbinger of Fools
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

The population is very healthy in Guild Wars 2. If that is your deal breaker or not, then you should just jump right in. A lot of small changes in the past year. Note, I said small changes.

They have done a lot, but nothing major. Some stuff you may not even notice to be honest.

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by Dakeru

So Guild Wars 2 going be doing just as well or better in the West for all we know? 

They use the megaserver, which means there is no servers opening up or closing so that we could measure the health of the game.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Short answer : NO

Long : In 2yr arenanet work in micro and useless contet 

Dont sure because not have money or not want but cmon?

Gw2 have decent combat

ANd can expand very well to WvW gameplays and Pve as well but i think arenanet have bit shortage from game designer or engine side i realy tried think about anet day for content game delivery us 

<--- 3000h in wvw(ele leveled in pvp only pvp)  and 200h in my guardian pve 

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

I would honestly not bother coming back. I checked in, and like usual in two years there almost absolutely nothing new.

no new races, traits, professions, skills, classes, i think one new zone, and ya thats about it.

Guild wars is more is pretty much the same game when it launched two years ago.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Nothing much new besides the season content. They've made some balance tweaks to classes, but for the most part it is the same game as it was when it released. So much for the yearly expansions they talked up before launch, but my brother-in-law still plays occasionally and likes it. I tried to come back, but GW2 is just not that interesting to me. I am not a fan of the class system where everyone can do everything personally.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I haven't played this game in a year have I missed anything good? 

for the most part .. its the same game you left

• I've personally just returned to the game a few days ago. I started a new character and I'm enjoying myself. The population seems fine, while some zones are more popular than others. Not much has changed since release as far as immediate game play is concerned and the lack of actual content addition to the game is disheartening (no expansion, skills, class, traits, or races in 2 years). If you log in with an end game purpose in mind, or something hard core in mind, I think you will still get burnt out on the game before too long. But logging in wanting to have fun and complete small goals, maybe a few at a time, it turns into a great game.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Come on back to the game.  It's good to take a break from the game and it's still fun and enjoyable to return to.  Furthermore, unlike other games you'll not be so far behind in gear/character  development because of some unending gear grind.   Sure you may be behind in the Living Story if you didn't take the less than 5 minutes out of each 2 week period to log in and unlock the story from Season 2, but you can still purchase each section of it for less than $2.50 worth of Gems if the story is that important to you (but really, if it was you wouldn't have missed them in the first place).

Holiday events end on Tuesday, January 5th (2 days from now).  That's also when Season 2 picks up again to have it's finishing sections to go.     What comes afterwards? Nobody knows.  A.Net is going to release information at PAX South at the end of the month.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Originally posted by TheGoblinKing

I would honestly not bother coming back. I checked in, and like usual in two years there almost absolutely nothing new.

no new races, traits, professions, skills, classes, i think one new zone, and ya thats about it.

True story....yet people still don't want monthly sub models. This is what you get with f2p/b2p, exactly what you paid for.

I recently came back to and it literally was the same game, save for some trait UI changes and 100000000% more loot than ever. No doubt this was put in to get you to buy more bank/bag space from the cash shop. Yea b2p is awesome :/

The only difference is the queues in T1 WvW are shorter, if you have them at all. Still the same old blob vs. blob though. But it seems either you join the zergfest servers or you go to a less active tier and find nothing going on at all.

This game needs some new life for sure. I would love to see WvW revamped into a more static campaign ala Daoc rather than this score crap.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Viper482

True story....yet people still don't want monthly sub models. This is what you get with f2p/b2p, exactly what you paid for.

I recently came back to and it literally was the same game, save for some trait UI changes and 100000000% more loot than ever. No doubt this was put in to get you to buy more bank/bag space from the cash shop. Yea b2p is awesome :/

The only difference is the queues in T1 WvW are shorter, if you have them at all. Still the same old blob vs. blob though. But it seems either you join the zergfest servers or you go to a less active tier and find nothing going on at all.

This game needs some new life for sure. I would love to see WvW revamped into a more static campaign ala Daoc rather than this score crap.

There wasn't much permanent stuff added but there is more than thegoblinking mentioned - there was 2 new zones alone in season 2 and even the edge of the mists. There are the XIII traits, for example.

And there was a bunch of stuff that active players experienced like the fall of lion's arch or scarlet's marionette.

Don't see how paying a sub and get pretty much nothing, which is what most of the sub models actually give - a raid here or there between expansions that are actually part of the expansion but are delayed to make the content last longer or a patch with new features pre-expansion that are actually part of the next expansion- is any better.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

If you come back and want to enjoy content that has been added in the mean time, be prepared to pay for it :/ For some reason they came up with this silly idea to make the Season 2 of the living story, free if you log in every 2 weeks. But if you for whatever reason didn't, you have to pay for it to unlock those missed chapters.

So, it is not really paying for content, but paying for not having logged in during that time lol. Anyway, my friends refuse to come back now because of this. And I blame myself for using an email adress made specifically for GW2 alone. So I never knew about those chapters :/ Too busy playing other games and not caring about GW2 for that period. But to be honest, I also hate the idea of making ppl log in so you dont have to pay for it if you want to enjoy it later. Lame move from Anet imo. Also sucks for ppl who buy the game now.

Still, maybe upcoming expansion will expand the amount of features in GW2. Atm the game feels kind of shallow and mainly achievement driven. Which I never see as a fun main goal, but just as icing on the cake.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

There wasn't much permanent stuff added but there is more than thegoblinking mentioned - there was 2 new zones alone in season 2 and even the edge of the mists. There are the XIII traits, for example.

And there was a bunch of stuff that active players experienced like the fall of lion's arch or scarlet's marionette.

Don't see how paying a sub and get pretty much nothing, which is what most of the sub models actually give - a raid here or there between expansions that are actually part of the expansion but are delayed to make the content last longer or a patch with new features pre-expansion that are actually part of the next expansion- is any better.

The fact is sub games going on 3 years after release always have truly new game content in that time. So where you are saying sub games would not be any better is just intellectually dishonest.  Live events are not content. Logging in after not playing for a year and having what I think was one of the coolest zones in any MMO destroyed......not content. This game is literally the same game it was in 2012. Funny the new traits....not one is used in any metabuild I have seen. They are worthless. 

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by someforumguy

If you come back and want to enjoy content that has been added in the mean time, be prepared to pay for it :/ For some reason they came up with this silly idea to make the Season 2 of the living story, free if you log in every 2 weeks. But if you for whatever reason didn't, you have to pay for it to unlock those missed chapters.

So, it is not really paying for content, but paying for not having logged in during that time lol. Anyway, my friends refuse to come back now because of this. And I blame myself for using an email adress made specifically for GW2 alone. So I never knew about those chapters :/ Too busy playing other games and not caring about GW2 for that period. But to be honest, I also hate the idea of making ppl log in so you dont have to pay for it if you want to enjoy it later. Lame move from Anet imo. Also sucks for ppl who buy the game now.

Still, maybe upcoming expansion will expand the amount of features in GW2. Atm the game feels kind of shallow and mainly achievement driven. Which I never see as a fun main goal, but just as icing on the cake.

How can you say you haven't played in a while and then say it is achievement driven? It stopped being all about achievs a while ago. It's now about *GOLD* and getting all them lovely skins.

I think the expansion will be a good way to bring people back and if they are smart, they will bundle Season 2's Living story into the expansion as well.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Zeroxin
    Originally posted by someforumguy

How can you say you haven't played in a while and then say it is achievement driven? It stopped being all about achievs a while ago. It's now about *GOLD* and getting all them lovely skins.

I think the expansion will be a good way to bring people back and if they are smart, they will bundle Season 2's Living story into the expansion as well.

So your defense to him saying it is achievement driven is to say no it isn't....it is skins driven? lol. Seriously? You are calling this guy out for saying how mediocre the evolution of the game has been because it feature "skin collecting"
    ? This is content now?

Funny the new traits....not one is used in any metabuild I have seen. They are worthless. 

Rangers use most of their new traits (See all the Longbow heroes in WvW). And Guardians are finally coming round to a condi guard being viable. To claim that all of the traits are useless would be wrong. SOME of them are useless.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Zeroxin

So your defense to him saying it is achievement driven is to say no it isn't....it is skins driven? lol. Seriously? You are calling this guy out for saying how mediocre the evolution of the game has been because it feature "skin collecting"
    ? This is content now?

Well in order to argue against me, you'd actually have to know what the content entails. It's not just buy skins from the cash shop, people have to do really hard content in order to get these cool skins and the rewards besides getting the skins are also pretty great. Loads of Rares and exotics to be had as well as Home Instance unlockables.

This is not a game.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360

Yes.

It's great.

Love it.

Hoping for expansion!