Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why no first person view?

Ravenhill99Ravenhill99 Member UncommonPosts: 25

Why do MMOs keep excluding quality first person views where you can see your hands and weapon?

Elder Scrolls Online does it the best, but even Everquest 1 had it where you could see your weapon, hands, and spells during combat.

I am pleading with SOE to include this for EQ Next. If you're gonna go all out and build a massive, amazing world like this, then why not go 100% and include a real first person view option?

Nothing immerses you into the world like a real first person perspective. Even more importantly is that Oculus Rift will be out around the time EQN comes out and 1st person view will be crucial.

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I often wondered this myself.  As a roleplayer, not having a quality first person view is extremely annoying. The games that do have it, like FFXIV, have the chea version that just moves the camera and makes you completely invisible - even when you're on a mount it just looks like you're floating through the air.

Methinks it's likely just a symptom of the 'combat above everything else' mentality that currently plagues the genre like some kind of cancer.

<3

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    This is because it is a decent amount of work to implement and u the end almost no one uses it.  Even in ESO almost no one uses it other than to try it out initially because it puts you at such a huge disadvantage in combat.
  • Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Because first person view sucks. That's why.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    I've heard mention that the combat is supposed to be MOBA-esq, if this is true then I can see why they wouldn't.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm so tired of MMO's where you can zoom 100 feet above your character.  It does kill immersion.  I like Darkfall's first and third person.  Third person is available but close, no zooming out a ridiculous height above your character.  EQ1 and Darkfall, two MMO's concerned with immersion and PvE/PvP danger nailed it.  I have no idea where they are going with EQN.  They say all the right things but I have a feeling that immersion is not high on the list. 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    My vote is for third person also. I do understand roleplayers might prefer first person, however.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Because MMO's have universally been 3rd person due to the very nature situational awareness in a group environment.   Pretty simple really.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

As someone stated, 3rd person allows for situational awareness, but it also lets you see the gear you have acquired and the spells/attacks.

As for EQNext, I'm thinking about how ba the characters look and that fact that there is a cash store. My first thought is that they will starve, but then I realize: They will sell better graphics for your character in the cash shop.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens potion      250 SC

Tall Proportioned Avatar     175 SC

Physio Human Face (Male) 500 SC

Human sized Hands 100 SC

Realistic Looking Weapons 1000 SC (Account wide)

Goggles of Anthropomorphic Accuracy (Makes all characters in game look realistic) 4500 SC / 3000 for Station Access Members

Yeah now it all makes sense. Nice work SOE

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by DMKano

To me immersion has nothing to do with 1st person point of view.

it has to do with gameplay.

If you are able to zoom out far enough it doesn't even seem like a 3d game, it becomes Ultima isometric view.  I just despise non 3D as they do not seem immersive at all.

Edit:  I think I have a much bigger issue with no first person and third person with way too much zoom distance...not that there is a 3rd person view at all.

• Ravenhill99Ravenhill99 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by feena750
    This is because it is a decent amount of work to implement and u the end almost no one uses it.  Even in ESO almost no one uses it other than to try it out initially because it puts you at such a huge disadvantage in combat.

Is there an official poll or documentation on that?

I play ESO in first person view only and I dominate people. I actually hate third person view, it is a very different experience of the game and world around you.

I hope that SOE offers a real first person view option so that everyone can enjoy the game. Time, money, blah, blah... this is a big company with a ton of resources and a lot of time, they can do it and they should do it.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i ALWAYS play in thrist person if i can - its soooooo much more immersive for me...and that comes before ANYTHING else - after all its a roleplaying game and immersion is everyting...thats why i love the fallout and elder scrolls series...
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The reason 1st person worked so well in EQ Classic is because the game was developed in 1st person with 3rd person as an afterthought. The opposite is true of every MMO these days. 1st person only works if it's the center of design, not merely an option.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

OH POPPY COCKI..   The ONLY reason why games use 3rd person viewing is for the EYE CANDY graphics to attract you like moths to the flame..   I wish many of ya would be honest and admit that eye candy graphics is a huge variable in how you rate and play a game..  Devs know this, it's why they sacrifice game play in the name of flashy combat..  Every honest person that knows anything about gaming will tell you..      Flashy Graphics (small groups) > No graphics (large groups)..  

You know, I have a real sword hanging on my wall in the den and the few times I actually did swing it.. It NEVER made any colorful rainbow swooooosh in mid air..   And when I stomp my feet and growl (GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR), I never saw any flashy graphics of fireworks..  When I watch Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit on DvD, Gandalf's magic casting doesn't create some Disney spectrum of fireworks..

So.. that being said..  YES, I wish MMORPG (which is suppose to be role playing) would go to 1st Person view ONLY, and SHIT CAN all the lame silly childish disney graphics :)  When I take a swing of the sword or a bash of the shield, I shouldn't be blinded by some gawdy animation of water colors.. 

Happy New Year

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by Rydeson

OH POPPY COCKI..   The ONLY reason why games use 3rd person viewing is for the EYE CANDY graphics to attract you like moths to the flame..   I wish many of ya would be honest and admit that eye candy graphics is a huge variable in how you rate and play a game..  Devs know this, it's why they sacrifice game play in the name of flashy combat..  Every honest person that knows anything about gaming will tell you..      Flashy Graphics (small groups) > No graphics (large groups)..  

You know, I have a real sword hanging on my wall in the den and the few times I actually did swing it.. It NEVER made any colorful rainbow swooooosh in mid air..   And when I stomp my feet and growl (GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR), I never saw any flashy graphics of fireworks..  When I watch Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit on DvD, Gandalf's magic casting doesn't create some Disney spectrum of fireworks..

So.. that being said..  YES, I wish MMORPG (which is suppose to be role playing) would go to 1st Person view ONLY, and SHIT CAN all the lame silly childish disney graphics :)  When I take a swing of the sword or a bash of the shield, I shouldn't be blinded by some gawdy animation of water colors.. 

Happy New Year

Yes, because anyone who wants to play differently from you must be childish and lame.image

Its easier to navigate the game world in third person than in first person.  It has nothing to do with graphics.  Besides, what about rpg's that are turn based and have an over the top isometric view like the Baldur's Gate or Shadowrun Returns?  Just because they don't have 1st person view points don't make them any less of an rpg for not having it.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Happy New Year

I believe the visuals do play a huge part in why 3rd person is the preferred style to play in, but it does allow for game mechanics that are either impossible or very hard in 1st person. Such as the use of telegraphs and visual ques that would need to be designed with 1st person in mind. Not that I wouldn't mind some true "dungeon" experiences in EQN where 1st person is strongly encouraged and adds tons of immersion.

Although I do believe most simply enjoy seeing their virtual selves running around doing whatever.

I loved playing MUDs, but after EQ, I could never go back to them. Seeing did trump imagination for me.

Hopefully with upcoming VR, POV will be 1st person and we will be our virtual selves quite a bit more and will be pretending less.

As far as disney or whatever, if I want to feel like I'm in LOTR, I'd play a game based on that fantasy. Same goes for Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Warhammer, Final Fantasy, etc. Each franchise does its own thing. EQ games have always been fairly silly to me and while EQN has gone down a particular path, it isn't too outside of what's come before.

I appreciate the style of Gloria Victis for example, but can't really see myself playing in that world. Nor do I really enjoy Final Fantasy or Elder Scrolls these days. Different styles for different folks. I still think they look good for what they are, simply not my cup of tea. Where as EQN and the more young at heart games are.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by DMKano

To me immersion has nothing to do with 1st person point of view.

it has to do with gameplay.

That is really weird to me. Maybe it's because I'm 6'5 but the most immersive thing I feel I've ever done is play a gnome in first person and end up looking up at everything but kneecaps. I feel like first person view is one of the most important things a MMORPG can do for immersion.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Happy New Year

The first real life card of the new year?!

Personally i wouldn't mind having the option for those that enjoy it even if i can't stand first person of any kind in any genre. 

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Varex12

Because first person view sucks. That's why.

No it doesn't, 1st person and rolling out of first person was used all the time in EQ.

If you were corner tanking in EQ, overhead view was terrible, you want to have full control in a corner of you mob, and with overhead view you quickly lose control of things like pet push or AA abilities. You really don't want to be in 3rd person view in a corner.

1st person is also much more immersive. I don't get the decisions MMO makers make sometimes, locking players into an overhead view will make strategic gameplay harder, not that I have seen any in EQNext, seems like another button mash game.

Originally posted by Ginaz

Its easier to navigate the game world in third person than in first person. 

It's not, I haven't played many FPS, but I remember you could play UT from an overhead view, no one did that.

FPS  are first person, because it's easiest to navigate a world like we do in real life.

There are rare occasions where 3rd person was better in EQ, when you kited a mob, you sometimes would go to 3rd person view, for the overview. But moving your character and controlling your position and the mob's position is much easier in first person.

What most people did was slightly roll their mouse back to a slight overhead view, and back to first person, back and forth. But overhead views which can be accessed by pressing F9, were rarely used. You can check many EQ videos, most people either employed first person or mouse roll out, it's extremely rare to see someone use the other F9 views.

First person is how we navigate the world, mother nature knew what she was doing, or wed have eyes on the back of our head, navigating in first person, is easier. There are rare occasions where you trade some situational awareness, but they tend to be rare.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    First person view will give me a massive headache.But if you like it more power to you I guess. They do not have it cannot say I am upset but I guess you will have to lobby for it. I won't support it though. Waste of resources.
    Chamber of Chains

They seem to be using a preset camera on many occasions. It doesn't seem linked to the character..

I have a hard time finding any video that seems linked to the character.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    I'm so tired of MMO's where you can zoom 100 feet above your character.  It does kill immersion.  I like Darkfall's first and third person.  Third person is available but close, no zooming out a ridiculous height above your character.  EQ1 and Darkfall, two MMO's concerned with immersion and PvE/PvP danger nailed it.  I have no idea where they are going with EQN.  They say all the right things but I have a feeling that immersion is not high on the list. 

Immersion is a choice you make.  Lack of immersion is also an excuse you can use.  Given a choice, I will not choose first person view.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    look i would love first person view - i think its really immersive and thats why i love fallout and elder scrolls which i think are the most immersive games available...BUT if first person is a lot of work to implement properly and not a lot of people appreciate it, then im totally fine with them investing the ressources rather in more content for everybody or releasing the game faster tbh...