Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Beyond the Point of No Return

MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/guild-wars-2-beyond-the-point-of-no-return

Something is going on.  President of Arenanet going on the main stage at PAX for a an 'exclusive sneak peek'.  What is it?  I have theories, but I'm not waiting for anything in particular.  I'll let myself be surprised.  Feel free to guess yourself, and hype it up or talk about how it won't be anything worth the time checking out on Livestream.  :P

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I've suspected for a long time that they have realised living world is not working and they have been working on an expansion for some time. Fingers crossed.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MorlewenMorlewen Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I assume the LW concept reached now a stage where they can present their new concept to deliver an expansion with it. It wll not be a traditional expansion pack and it will not be a traditional LW season.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

NC is quite unforgiving - while most companies under NC's banner had to lay off staff, Anet were the ones to hire yet more people.

Think there was even a column here about "something big brewing behind the scene"

The only surprise is an announcement this early.

Harbinger of Fools
  • psychosizpsychosiz Member Posts: 22
    I am curious to see what it is exactly.  Its it all hype with no substance or is there something to all the hype.
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I think it will be sneak peek for season 3 of Living World. They used season 1 to improve season 2 and season 3 will be better than season 2.

I still don't think they are making an expansion, if so it will be released about 3 years after main game.

Do anyone know of a MMORPG where 1st expansion was released 3 years or more after release of main game?

At the time expansion is released we are already busy playing beta of Black Desert or other newer games.

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

It's probably going to be about the living story season 3 *twirls finger in the air*

• MorlewenMorlewen Member UncommonPosts: 45
    You do not need an expansion pack to release an expansion. Turbine took this pack-less route for LOTRO a year ago. It will be interesting to see what concept Arenanet will use to release the expansion.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Well, i'm sure it's something pretty big, since the president himself is going, along with the game director, and it's going to be around a 1.5 hours presentation.

The title is fitting though, "Beyond the Point of No Return", since a lot of players have left and are waiting on GW2's future.

• psychosizpsychosiz Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by observer

Well, i'm sure it's something pretty big, since the president himself is going, along with the game director, and it's going to be around a 1.5 hours presentation.

The title is fitting though, "Beyond the Point of No Return", since a lot of players have left and are waiting on GW2's future.

While many players have left, the game still has a pretty strong playing base.  I was surprised how many people were on a few nights ago.  I played a few of my characters and found all the areas very active(different character levels).  It was easy to remember what made this game so fun for me. 

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Open world PvP?  Figure out how to remove the loading between zones?  Actually make one connected game world to explore?
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Most people think it will be an expansion, but if it isn't and its some vague bullshit about what they would like to do in the future it will be a shitstorm of criticism. Sometimes I think Anet is working in an echo chamber of their own creation spewing visions and views only they care about it. Please mmo gods let it be an expansion! 
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Expansion + New Abilities and more customization would be awesome.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by psychosiz
    Originally posted by observer

While many players have left, the game still has a pretty strong playing base.  I was surprised how many people were on a few nights ago.  I played a few of my characters and found all the areas very active(different character levels).  It was easy to remember what made this game so fun for me. 

Mega server.....does that

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I would like an expansion but I would much rather see an improvement in how they handle living story.  The greatest potential ino is with living story.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Yeah - In GW2 it actually works quite well without some of the downsides other games seem to experience (gathering nodes etc.) :) 

Expansion (PVE area/lore and possibly a few PvP additions) would be fine, but I have mixed feelings whenever someone cries "RACES, CLASSES and SKILLS please"... Because usually 2 days later the same persons are all: "OMG fix this skill or that balance"...

The most stupid thing to do (if structured PVP is ever going to work well) is throwing more headless chickens into the mix!

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by Nasa

I think it will be sneak peek for season 3 of Living World. They used season 1 to improve season 2 and season 3 will be better than season 2.

I still don't think they are making an expansion, if so it will be released about 3 years after main game.

Do anyone know of a MMORPG where 1st expansion was released 3 years or more after release of main game?

At the time expansion is released we are already busy playing beta of Black Desert or other newer games.

They don't need to hire more staff to create a new Living World season, it doesn't make sense. Otherwise, there is a possibility that Anet will announce the expansion but the release-date will be for 2016 (if that is it then I doubt they will announce it now).

WoW released its' first expansion more than 2 years after launch. Close enough.

If that say its beyond the living story, implies that the new thing revealed isn't living story...

Originally posted by Halandir
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Yeah - In GW2 it actually works quite well without some of the downsides other games seem to experience (gathering nodes etc.) :) 

Expansion (PVE area/lore and possibly a few PvP additions) would be fine, but I have mixed feelings whenever someone cries "RACES, CLASSES and SKILLS please"... Because usually 2 days later the same persons are all: "OMG fix this skill or that balance"...

The most stupid thing to do (if structured PVP is ever going to work well) is throwing more headless chickens into the mix!

People are going to ask for fixes and balance regardless. You rather Anet hold off added things like the Wardrobe system/EoTM/ Fractals/ Living Story/ etc 

until they fix all the bugs and balance? Come on, be realistic...

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Give me an expansion, new classes and weapons.