Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: My Own 2015 Watch List

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Rob recently penned his own “Looking Forward to 2015” article, and Shawn did his own take on what to watch in 2015, but since the year’s only just begun and we’re coming off a pretty underwhelming 2014 for new MMOs, we might as well take yet another peek at what the next year could bring us. 

Read the rest of Bill's "My Own 2015 Watch List".

EQNext, is of course, included.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    I am super excited for Gloria Invictus. I hope 2015 brings a lot of good news about that. I am also going to be keeping an eye on Elder Scrolls, I really enjoyed that game even though I have not played since release.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I am glad you at least hinted at Camelot Unchained and the rest of the list is spot on. The Repopulatio is another to keep an eye on that will not be finished in 2015.

Bill and I are both looking to fill the hole that Dark Age of Camelot left in our souls. I think Camelot Unchained is the answer, but we'll just have to wait and see.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

NCSoft can suck it for what they did to City of Heroes.

Guild Wars 2 just needs to get it together and release an expansion.

Skyforge is a joke where the devs talk about solo instances.

EQNext will probably be on this list next year.

I'm excited to see what will happen with The Repopulation, Star Citizen, EQNext and hope something awesome will come out of left field but really I'm looking forward to RPGs like Withcer 3 and sandbox games like Space Engineers, MineCraft, 7 Days to Die, From the Depths etc more than MMORPGs.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    I know its not really an MMO but im super excited for The Division!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Have to agree with your list Bill.  It would be really nice if one of the Indies also turns out good.  It would be really nice to have a f2p game out there that does not demand the item shop.  
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    There is literally nothing worth playing or looking forward to.  Every mmo is a carbon copy of each other and the future messiahs are gonna be hype train let downs like the last decade of mmos have been.  The mmo genre is dead and rotting.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

no bill , we don't need a healer for Gw2.  The game is not designed that way.  A monk would be cool if it used the bo staff and iron fist weapons. but not healing.  guardians already carry the 5 man dungeon group easily.  

Who likes babysitting anyway?

-I am here to perform logic

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

ESO on the couch - would be nice if they added native controller support to pc..... I won't play the console version now that I bought it on sale on steam for pc.... unless.... the console version is straight up buy to play and some of my irl friends buy it too. The rumor mill keeps spinning about ESO going f2p or b2p we will see.

I would prefer buy to play no cash shops

***My payment model hierarchy*** 

-begging of 2015 until the new game devs aka (accountants) come up with another one ....

F2P with cosmetic shop  >=  Buy to play with no cash shops > Buy to play no cash shops but dlc > Buy to play cosmetic shops > F2P with microtrans > Buy to play with microtrans > P2P sub fee > buy to play with sub fee > pay to win > p2p with sub fee with microtrans of any kind

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    EQ Next launch in 2015? You must have some insider knowledge. My understanding is they are just now shifting over to full production. If it comes out in 2015, I see it as being pretty shallow. Maybe 2016...late 2016, and that's a big maybe, until then I will keep putting my money on a roulette table. We are talking launch...right?
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263

WHAT ? Where is Black Desert Bill ?

WAKE UP BILL

l2p

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Battlerock

ESO on the couch - would be nice if they added native controller support to pc..... I won't play the console version now that I bought it on sale on steam for pc.... unless.... the console version is straight up buy to play and some of my irl friends buy it too. The rumor mill keeps spinning about ESO going f2p or b2p we will see.

I would prefer buy to play no cash shops

***My payment model hierarchy*** 

-begging of 2015 until the new game devs aka (accountants) come up with another one ....

F2P with cosmetic shop  >=  Buy to play with no cash shops > Buy to play no cash shops but dlc > Buy to play cosmetic shops > F2P with microtrans > Buy to play with microtrans > P2P sub fee > buy to play with sub fee > pay to win > p2p with sub fee with microtrans of any kind

B2P no cash shops? I presume that means no DLC either since you listed DLC as another option. So how exactly do they make money once the box sales slow down? Though I can't imagine anyone would play too long term with no new content lol.

• healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Gorwe

I am excited for...

NONE!

Really, I've got everything I need: Which is huge when it comes from me...

post #2015 well played

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Battle Cleric, Battle Controller, Battle BaTTle BATTLE!

We've clearly lost the definition of support.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

"MMO on the couch..." hmm... I'm tempted. I do have that PS4 sitting over there...hooked up to my surround receiver and speakers... and the 60" screen...

They did say something about transferring characters (or is it whole accounts?) to the PS4 when it launches... tempting...

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Iselin

"MMO on the couch..." hmm... I'm tempted. I do have that PS4 sitting over there...hooked up to my surround receiver and speakers... and the 60" screen...

They did say something about transferring characters (or is it whole accounts?) to the PS4 when it launches... tempting...

I'm on a PC/MMO hiatus since update 5 since Zenimax wasn't able to fix my combat stuttering issue on my gaming laptop despite 4 weeks of extensive testing. With that said, it forced me to focus on a console for the first time in 10 years. Playing Dragon Age Inquisition on the PS4 on a 70" screen with surround sound..I only wonder why I waited this long to try. Maybe because Dragon Age is the first game on the PS4 to interest me. I LOVE IT. With that said, since I have so much remodeling to do in my home, I'm in zero rush to purchase a high end gaming PC just to play ESO. Depending on the timing, I may come back when it moves to consoles because I now have new faith in them. The graphics on the PS4 for Dragon Age are excellent.

When the Nvidia cards are more capable of running 4K and the 4K gsync monitors come down in price..that will be when I start to think about the new PC. in the meantime, PS4 all the way. By then ESO will be on update 1.8 or something and the game will even more awesome.

There Is Always Hope!

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

im just waiting for a game that has a really great combat system thats dynamic, engaging, fast and impactfull with a lot of oomph...

something like the lovechild between teso and dark souls

ps: blade and soul is still a thing?

pps: you guys above are aware that you dont need a console to play on your tv'? i have a gtx 980 packed in mini itx pc (node 304) that isnt bigger than a console (but much more powerful) and play on my couch...

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

"MMO on the couch.." sounds like lazy gaming.

I may be the only GW2 fan that hopes Arenanet don't make an expansion as I would much rather have them focus on making a new game.

Im also hoping we get open beta of Black Desert and Bless in 2015

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by Vanzi
    Guild Wars 2 desperately needs a proper expansion and it needs it right now, not in a year from now.

My sentiments exactly. Ive been holding out hope, but at some point I am just going to move on forever.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208
    guild wars 2 needs some real content not just jumping puzzles and living story Crap. it's been two years  for God's sake.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Have to agree with your list Bill.  It would be really nice if one of the Indies also turns out good.  It would be really nice to have a f2p game out there that does not demand the item shop.  

and how would they make any money?

• GreyhavenGreyhaven Member UncommonPosts: 38

I'm betting ESO will go B2P like TSW and will charge about 30.00 for bi-annual expansions and have a modest vanity cash shop offering.

if the quality of the expansions are there this game will do quite well.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Keeping an eye on Firefall (which I play). Big update coming soon. Sad to say the best time I ever had in an MMO was in their beta and they changed the game on launch. 
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Bill, you're a good fellow with interests similar to my own. Let us hope that 2015 is a year to remember.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I was looking forward to EQ Next but I can't agree that the combat looks compelling, it looks pretty crap tbh, but that's just my own opinion. I know, loads of others like the action style combat but it needs to be done well like any other system.

EQ Next's (or Landmark's) looks like a mouse button mashing fest, very uninspiring if you want my opinion. I hope they do some major work on it before release, it needs it.

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308

@Bill, We have very different tastes in games based on your belief that Guildwars 2 is one of the best MMO out right now.  That's ok.  I'll just have to remember that when reading your reviews.

I'm really interested in The Repopulation, Shroud of the Avatar, and keeping up with the development of Star Citizen.  I don't really see anything else I'm excited about right now.  I would really like to see some more sub games hit the market but it's not looking good right now.