Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning Player from when lvl60 was cap

sonicringsonicring Member UncommonPosts: 44
Will i be able to find groups to do dungeons. I'm not worried about content i've pretty much kept up with Wow just have played otheer games and was wanting to come back and play through as Horde. I'm basically wondering if lower levels areas are dead or not? How is the economy? and what crafts should i start with my first toon to help me make gold the fastest at low levels?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Dungeon Finder insures you will have no issues getting a group.

But if you haven't played since Vanilla WOW all I can say is, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Log in to your account, take the 10-day trial they most likely are offering you, and see it yourself.

The game has changed so much that most of your questions doesn't even make sense today. You can solo everything with ease and automated group finder will find you a group and teleport you to dungeons when ready.

Leveling professions is a waste of time until you're on max level.

• sonicringsonicring Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Dungeon Finder insures you will have no issues getting a group.

But if you haven't played since Vanilla WOW all I can say is, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

That's what i was thinking i played alliance too, so i figured i'd try out horde. I know there is alot i have to discover looking forward to it.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Well, I'd advise you don't use the boost but level a character to 60, using the boost on a level 60 characters will max out your two chosen professions so you don't have to worry about leveling them manually.

I enjoyed leveling through WoD, but i can't really recommend the game full heartedly, the end game is currently very barren, I'd only play if you really enjoy collecting toys and pets, because the majority of your time you wont have a lot to do related to 90-100 content.

You do your Garrison daily, queue up your followers, do your raid lockouts for the week and It's over.

Lower level areas aren't dead but not crowded, servers are linked so you'll see people from other servers walking around areas to fill the void, It's quite nice.

Also auction houses are linked between horde/alliance now, the economy is pretty bad for new players, all the prices are bloated because everyones trying to make level 100 money of off level 30 items.

• HavrimHavrim Member Posts: 7

The LFG tool will keep you constantly in dungeons...though wait times will vary based on your class and role.  

The economy on most servers will be insane (200-300g for low level greens) because of the massive inflation that's happened over the years.  

Not sure on crafting/professions...at endgame levels, everyone has too much of everything due to garrisons.  I'd say herbalism and mining are probably still solid for making money while leveling.  People will pay LOTS for stacks of those that they don't have to go farm.

If you've been 'AFK' since Vanilla, it's a completely different experience.  In many ways, it's a lot of fun and many of the changes are good.  In other ways...well, it's definitely not the same game.  You will level EXTREMELY fast...especially if Vanilla is your reference point.

I hope you enjoy it!  I have picked up every expansion and I've played off and on since beta.  This is the fastest that I've completed and grown bored with an expansion.  O.o

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Since you are rolling horde, make sure you level a goblin through the starting area; it's a lot of fun and you'll get some chuckles out of it.

I ended up not buying the WOD xpac but my friends playing it are having a good time, especially with garrisons.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Experience from a complete newcomer to WoW.

I took advantage of the 4.99 WoW deal in early December. The only thing I knew about WoW before going in was the whining on these forums about the game.  My dungeon experience was less than inviting.   I used the LFG tool for my first dungeon.  I entered and started (heaven forbid!)  reading the quest text .  The group seem to be already halfway through the dungeon by the time I finished.  I finally caught up and might have actually got a few hits in.  These dungeons appear to be speed runs and click, click, click fests.   This one dungeon was my first and probably last for awhile.  

The story and lore are extremely satisifying from a newcomer's perspective.  Im having lots of fun.

One odd thing which is contrary to my expectations is how quiet the game is.  Yes, I said quiet.  I kept hearing how horrible and rude etc the community in this game could be.   This might be true but from my limited experience it is played as a single player game and I almost never see any idle conversation in chat.  Ive actually had some polite invites to guilds which I declined just as politely.  Once I get my bearings and understand the game more I might consider a guild.  

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by DMKano

I don't known first hand as I haven't played WoW since 2004 - but a handful of my friends who got WoD all had a lot of fun for at least 2-4 weeks before they quit.

It was pretty much the same story for all of them - boost to 90 - level up to 100, then do dailys and baby sit garrison.

Stop reading after this part.  They no longer have dailies like they used to so not sure how "your friends" "who quit" were doing all these dailies?  Baby sit their Garrison?  Hmm I am in my Garridon for maybe 15 min then out out doing crystals, farming rares, killing to get an invasion to pop (I know you nothing about those) once it does pop grab my body guard follower who has an ilvl of 655 and Leeroy who is also ilvl 655 invite two guild mates who bring a bodyguard and get gold in the invasion.  After that we run heroics, challenge modes, queue for PvP or raid, while waiting out in the world trapping of cutting down trees or working on other buildings like the Mage tower, if I'm done with that I go looking for mounts, pets and others followers...I can keep going if you want.

Next time I think after reading your first 5 words is all anyone should do... 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by sonicring
    Will i be able to find groups to do dungeons. I'm not worried about content i've pretty much kept up with Wow just have played otheer games and was wanting to come back and play through as Horde. I'm basically wondering if lower levels areas are dead or not? How is the economy? and what crafts should i start with my first toon to help me make gold the fastest at low levels?

Low level areas dead or not?  Technically yes, but it can vary.  The reality is, your server is virtually connected to several others, thus 99% of the time anyone you do run across isn't even from your server.  You're phased together to make it appear more populated.  Be forewarned that accepting an invite to a group can potentially phase you over to a PVP realm.  Once there you are immediately flagged.  Because of this, a lot of players don't accept group invites.  It has been used to lure unsuspecting players into combat on many an occasion.

Using LFG to do low level dungeons can be a waiting game... especially if you are not heals or a tank.  Quite frankly, unless you have some friends to play with, the odds of getting a group put together in a timely manner are slim.  Remember, the preponderance of the player base is at max level, only a small percentage of them actively level alts.

Faction can actually make things worse depending on the server.  If it's an alliance dominated server, playing horde means playing with a smaller player base outright and vice-versa.  PVP servers tend to be lopsided in general.

The economy isn't like you think it is.  With WoD a lot of changes came to crafting, namely you can level any profession from 1 using WoD level resources.  This means no one needs to farm old world mats for anything, they can just use WoD era materials. Plus, with garrisons, you literally can craft things that you don't even have the profession for.  So you can get ore without being a miner, etc.  This means you're not going to make any money trying to craft items at the low levels or selling materials.

If you never buy anything and vendor everything you acquire as you level up, you will have more than enough gold to buy a mount, riding skills, and flying skills.  This game makes it incredibly easy to acquire gold, so most people have a surplus of it... and as such the cost of things are sometimes much more expensive than they should be just because people see dropping 1K gold as putting a nickel into a candy machine.  For example, the Alliance chopper costs 100K gold... and Blizzard priced that as such knowing that it would be easy to get the gold for.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I wouldn't actually consider you returning to anything. I would consider this a whole new game from that perspective. You just have a 60 level head start......which now equates to about a week.

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by sonicring

I had a very long WoW break and WoD is kind of fun. I generally like it. But IMO it trys faaaaar to hard to be a small game on its own instead of being a addition to a growing mmo game world; crafting is a very dominant example of that.

About crafting:

Chances are you might sell ressources from gatherer jobs to higher than usual prices to make some gold; but consider this: The new 90-100 x-pack zones; the complete addon actually; masters the devaluation of any previous WoW contend before by making it possible to level any craft from zero to hero with the new crafting ressources & crafting books drops which sets the new max 700 in crafting regardless of you current crafting skill. All pre WoD Enchatments (and Enchantment-like from other jobs) are "reverse capped" to not being able to use at iLvL 600+ items (about starting lvl 100 gear) so hunting rare recepies is just for the sake of doing so since currently they are useless for everything now max and future addons.

The new craftable items are actually good. Its overall a pretty small collection of what you can craft but it can keep up with endgame stuff. That comes with the price of only being able to wear 3 WoD crafted items at once (overall; not per craft. So 1x Platehelm; 1x Ring and 1x Darkmoon Trinket = capped). But you can use the other parts of i.e. the crafted platearmor as transmogg.

... Considering that you last cap was 60 you probably don't know transmogg yet; think of it as a form of an appearance tab. You go to a transmogg guy (most hubs have one) in you mixed leveling looking gear and put your (example) old T2 Paladin Raid armor as visual overlay. IMO the best addition WoW made since the release of a barbershop.

edit:

you did not asked, but with 60 max you probably had no fly mount experience yet. If you plan to quest all the pre-WoD contend (which is a very nice evolution to observe :) ) you might encounter situations where a flying mount is required (or at least wanted). Since WoD is currently designed without flying in mind you might aim for the bare minimum on flying mount expenses until you so much gold that you don't bother spending it on all the different flight licences for the pre WoD areas.