Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No flying experiment has failed in WoD

Comments

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Originally posted by goboygo
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    No flying was one of the reasons me and my friends started playing again.  So much easier to find world PVP now and at instance entrances.  People can't "skirt" around confrontation anymore, I love it.

Translation: "we can grief people who want to run instances again, love it."

Hmm not griefing just conflict.  Without the human element of confrontation games get boring.

Somebody is standing outside a PVE instance in PVE gear waiting to enter and a PVP player attacks him -  That's called Griefing  He has no intention to PVP, and if you kill him he is going to have to run back to the instance, risk being ganked again, carry damage to his gear which means he has to repair sooner and generally waste his time.  The fact that he is standing outside a PVE instance should be a clue that he does not want to PVP - why exactly do you want to attack him again instead of looknig for a real PVP fight?

That same example applies whether flying is in place or not.

You mean if someone is traveling along a road in their PVE gear? That is a risk all players who play on PVP servers take and should be expecting. If you don't want the chance of your questing being inturrupted, play on a PVE server...it really is that simple..

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by doodphace
    No flying was one of the reasons me and my friends started playing again.  So much easier to find world PVP now and at instance entrances.  People can't "skirt" around confrontation anymore, I love it.

Hmm not griefing just conflict.  Without the human element of confrontation games get boring.

Somebody is standing outside a PVE instance in PVE gear waiting to enter and a PVP player attacks him -  That's called Griefing  He has no intention to PVP, and if you kill him he is going to have to run back to the instance, risk being ganked again, carry damage to his gear which means he has to repair sooner and generally waste his time.  The fact that he is standing outside a PVE instance should be a clue that he does not want to PVP - why exactly do you want to attack him again instead of looknig for a real PVP fight?

That same example applies whether flying is in place or not.

You mean if someone is traveling along a road in their PVE gear? That is a risk all players who play on PVP servers take and should be expecting. If you don't want the chance of your questing being inturrupted, play on a PVE server...it really is that simple..

Then that makes an ass out of the defense that PVP gankers have that they only attack people who are fair PVP targets doesnt it.  I do however totally agree that PVE servers should be separate for those that dislike this sort of stuff.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

That same example applies whether flying is in place or not, so not sure what it has to do with the topic of this thread.

Totally agree, if he decided to play on a PVP server then its kind of implicit that PVP is welcome, this situation could only happen on a PVP server in any case, and i think the only complaint the guy could make was if he was jumped by a dozen other players, but even thats a bit weak because, he should have had plenty of warning, unless they were rogues in which case, its just one of those things.

I think its a bit of a moot point, PVE players can't really complain about the PVP if their on a PVP server, and likewise, PVP players can't complain about the lack of PVP if their playing on PVE servers image

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962

The only thing that failed is this thread. No flying in WoD has been one of the best design choices Blizz has made for WoW in years, and the vast majority of its players agree.

I mean...just look at this thread...when was the last time mmorpg.com had pretty much a consensus on something WoW "did right"?

PS...I absolutly LOVE the OPs comment of "The AAA MMORPGs that don't have flying in their game have even better transportation methods (eg portals)."

Something tells me the OP has never even played WoW.....

Haha yeah I asked him about that...I am still waiting for his reply lol.  I also agreed and mentioned as you have said the only thing that failed is the OP. 

• JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100

I kinda have mixed feelings on it. I hated flying it made the world seem small, with no sense of fear or worry.

Just fly down pick your herb/mine your node fly away safely.. Which brings up my next point Garrisons.

They revisit the awesome of idea of no flying mounts then shoot themselves in the foot with Garrisons.

Garrisons the fear is removed again every profession at your finger tips on a cooldown. Therefor making the world smaller than flying. Now everyone sits in their garrison quing or safely mining in their mine or picking flower pots.

so in conclusion does it matter their is no flying or if they decide to bring it back? Not really.. Besides leveling up i guess?

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Hoplites

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value to me.

What a shame.

Fixed for you.

To answer the topic:

No it has not to me.

Happy New Year. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Jenosyde

I kinda have mixed feelings on it. I hated flying it made the world seem small, with no sense of fear or worry.

Just fly down pick your herb/mine your node fly away safely.. Which brings up my next point Garrisons.

They revisit the awesome of idea of no flying mounts then shoot themselves in the foot with Garrisons.

Garrisons the fear is removed again every profession at your finger tips on a cooldown. Therefor making the world smaller than flying. Now everyone sits in their garrison quing or safely mining in their mine or picking flower pots.

so in conclusion does it matter their is no flying or if they decide to bring it back? Not really.. Besides leveling up i guess?

I'm in my Garrison about 15-20 minutes a day. I'm not sure what folks do there, but I'm out in the world having fun. The longest event I'm in there for is either mining (5 minutes), battle pet daily (5 min), or an invasion.  Anyway, I don't see the difference between standing in front of the Stormwind or Orgrimmar banks than being in a Garrison. Either way, there is just worthless chats in both areas.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Jenosyde

I'm in my Garrison about 15-20 minutes a day. I'm not sure what folks do there, but I'm out in the world having fun. The longest event I'm in there for is either mining (5 minutes), battle pet daily (5 min), or an invasion.  Anyway, I don't see the difference between standing in front of the Stormwind or Orgrimmar banks than being in a Garrison. Either way, there is just worthless chats in both areas.

And there we have it.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I hope I never buy a WOW expantion again its not worth it for me,i play 2 hours then I am bored.

if they took away the sub.i would play it now and then for a view hours at a time.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I know people have been saying for years "Its not the same WOW as vanilla" but this was truly the expansion that has me leaving for good. LFR was a great addition but this Garrison nonsense and the linear zones along with the lack of creativty when it comes to story, mobs and graphics has me saying goodbye for good. The direction this game has gone in is just TOO FAR OFF from the game i fell in love with.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by thunderC
    I know people have been saying for years "Its not the same WOW as vanilla" but this was truly the expansion that has me leaving for good. LFR was a great addition but this Garrison nonsense and the linear zones along with the lack of creativty when it comes to story, mobs and graphics has me saying goodbye for good. The direction this game has gone in is just TOO FAR OFF from the game i fell in love with.

Well that is what is cool about individuality! All the reasons you gave for not ever coming back are the ones that are keeping me. I love the addition of the Garrison, it is free content and lends another dimension to the game. I found the story and the zones very refreshing and a step in a a better direction. In fact, the stories to me were some of the best in all the expansions yet. Also, the graphics are much more detailed and to me are the best of all the expansions (which they should be).

Anyway, I love the idea of not being able to fly in this expansion and I hope they keep it that way!

I hope you find the game you fell in love with again, but I think you only get one first kiss. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Garrison nonsense?  I'd love for you to explain?  

Linear zones?  Please link the achievements for collecting all treasure, kill all rares, complete all quest, ect ect...

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Shadoed
    Originally posted by JDis25

I want flying back, it made WoW unique.  People complain about too easy, and not sociable. Yet you are playing WoW, one of the easiest and most solo mmo's there is.

I concur.

This model will not work and will fail because WoW isn't designed this way.  Well stated by the way.

Well that is an odd statement, WoW was designed exactly that way, flying mounts were not introduced until much later down the line and Blizzard were not too sure about that back then. There are far more flight points around now than there used to be back in those days too and they tend to be exactly where you want them to be, you can queue for BG's, Dungeons and Raids, so no need for the long distance travel you used to have to make back then, so really travelling by ground is not that much of a hassle and this was the ideal time to re-introduce it.

I have really enjoyed travelling this way again, having to check out your route, finding things that you would not otherwise see if flying, you feel much more part of the environment again.

Flying mounts has been with the game for 8 years of level capped content. 

The current flight points are not enough, they are slow, and they use the worst path logic I have ever seen.  Furthermore, I don't want WoW to become a world of queuecraft by sitting in a garrison waiting for BG, Dungeon, or raid queues. 

Flying mounts enable exploration of the world at level cap and encourages players for achievements, archeology, pet battles, etc. 

This expansion is a failure because they stripped away incentives to explore the world at level cap and they introduced massive time sinks or gates on everything (eg professions).

My point was that wow was not designed with flying mounts in mind and Blizzard themselves were borderline on introducing them when they did, but once in there it was difficult to get rid of them, especially when some content had been designed so that it could only be reached if you had a flying mount.

Compared to Vanilla the current flight points are a virus on the map, you really couldn't travel much better and closer to where you need to be unless they had a flight point at every quest giver, they are not entirely direct in some cases, but again they are far better than they used to be and how are they slow?

How do flying mounts encourage exploration? If you have the ability to skip 9/10ths of the landscape in favour of dropping in to exactly where you want to be straight away, that is not exploring the maps at all. Ground mounts in no way impede your progress of achievements, in fact for things like pet battles they are far better than flying mounts as you don't miss so many.

I have enjoyed flying in some of the expansions and you can see in BC & Wrath how much was designed to take direct advantage of it, so it won't go away entirely, but i am still not seeing anything that says ground mounts only in this expansion has been any sort of handicap?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

Thats a nice OPINION you have, but countless other people ive talked to disagree and even a poll on a popular wow fan site disagrees.

Im sorry it has ruined the game for YOU though.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

fucking flying in ANY mmorpg is stupid...ruins the feeling of a massive world and exploration. this is one of the 3 reasons WHY i left WoW and will never come back...below are MY personal reasons in the most important order:

1-Heirlooms- COMPLEATLY 100% destroyed the point of playing the game at low lvls....now when a new player starts a 100% new char there stuck in grps with players decked out in heirlooms and killing everything without losing any health....making EVERYONE OP at lvl 1 is a fucking design flaw.

2- Dungeon Finder- RUINED immersion and exploration...now a days ppl just be lazy and sit in the city spamming LFG finder to lvl without ever leaving or doing anything....why have a world when all ppl do is teleport to a dungeon? I miss it when ppl actually had top walk to a instance and meet up like NORMAL humans would to go out....

3- Flying- RUINED immersion and exploration...made the world seems soo small and pointless...Archage got it right to only allow flight for a  cetain amount of time 3mins then u fall to your death..

Personally the perfect MMO in my opinion woudnt have any of these "features" i listed above

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.What a shame.

The OP is lazy. I personally love that there are no flying mounts. Even more so that Im on a PvP server.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

Wish this would be only problem. Before WOD was released I used to say WOW is only game I can immagine to play for next 10 or 20 years with expansions that will come. And had 22 lv. 90 before WOD was released. This still hold about playing for next 10 or 20 years ... but as it looks i will never again have full set of alts. While with any previous expansion I had a blast for at least 6 months after release ... I have unsubbed WOW after single month and after 4 maxed out alts. Just can not believe it. I had a blast first month I admit ... but fun factor fast weared off. Snif.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff35

Linear zones?  Please link the achievements for collecting all treasure, kill all rares, complete all quest, ect ect...

Yes, linear quests. You can't go off the beaten track and discover new quests because they all have to be done in order. It's a horrible stale system

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Then he shouldn't have rolled on a pvp server.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Originally posted by daltanious

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

Wish this would be only problem. Before WOD was released I used to say WOW is only game I can immagine to play for next 10 or 20 years with expansions that will come. And had 22 lv. 90 before WOD was released. This still hold about playing for next 10 or 20 years ... but as it looks i will never again have full set of alts. While with any previous expansion I had a blast for at least 6 months after release ... I have unsubbed WOW after single month and after 4 maxed out alts. Just can not believe it. I had a blast first month I admit ... but fun factor fast weared off. Snif.

The green part right there says it all!!! You are not playing the game properly. Sure! you are playing it the way you want to play it, i admit that, but in all honesty that is not how you play a mmorpg. The way you play it is why people get tired of leveling up a character, questing in games and why the game is so easy and fast to level up and also ruining it for everyone else that are not altoholics and only play 1 or a few more character over a long period of time.

( inside 1 month you level up 4 character to max level in this xpac alone, that is not the way it is suppose to be specially with a xpac that as more levels in it then lich king or cata or mop. Only BC had that much levels and that xpac was before all the other xpac ).

Flying only helps to level up more characters it does not help to get immersion or give people a chance to interact with each other at all wich is the point of a mmorpg. That is why Blizzard is saying the game was not designed to have flying in the first place. Thank you for saying exactly the same thing as us.

Edit : by the way dear sir that i quoted here , i do not know if you where for or against flying but your example was good enought for me to use it for the reason why flying is bad in a mmorpg. Leveling that many characters like that must be a pain in the neck and must get very hard to go true all of those quests after a while so i can see a reason why people that level up so many characters would want the flying but not consider the other players that play the game properly like a mmorpg is suppose to be played by going true the story and quests, the contact with other players while leveling and interacting with them, etc.etc..

Originally posted by Mpfive

Yes, linear quests. You can't go off the beaten track and discover new quests because they all have to be done in order. It's a horrible stale system

That is 100% not accurate...there are tons of quest off  by themselves...how many bonus quests did you complete leveling up?  Or did you not play WoD and have no clue what your are talking about?

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Mpfive

There are storyline quests, yes, but there are loads of individual quests as well as area specific quests that get picked up on the fly if you can be bothered to explore the zones completely. Even one of the story quests early on ends up sending you off in four different directions, you can bob between them at any point.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

I am inclined to agree.

The game makes no sense to me in its current format.  In fact, I would argue Avian'a feather is more over powered than flying mounts.

I am inclined to agree.

The game makes no sense to me in its current format.  In fact, I would argue Avian'a feather is more over powered than flying mounts.

So you still have not answered a couple posters including me about other games that have better travel systems than WoW because they have PORTALS!!!

You are aware WoW has portals right?  Summoning stones?  Warlocks?  So any chance we can get you to clarify your thought process?  Or are you just going to continue to spam on a VIDEO GAME YOU DONT PLAY!

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

I am inclined to agree.

So you still have not answered a couple posters including me about other games that have better travel systems than WoW because they have PORTALS!!!

You are aware WoW has portals right?  Summoning stones?  Warlocks?  So any chance we can get you to clarify your thought process?  Or are you just going to continue to spam on a VIDEO GAME YOU DONT PLAY!

I actually addressed this.

Rift, Guild Wars, Final Fantasy, etc they all do it better in terms of travel systems.

WoW's travel systems are terrible and horribly outdated.  Older MMO's like Everquest and UO do it better which is just sad. Don't get me started on UO or Wildstar having better player housing than WoD's garrisons (this is more like an expanded version of MoP's farm).

1. WoW's portals - The most optimal place to set your hearth stone currently is Shrine of Two Moons or Seven Stars (MoP).  Hearthstone without guild perks increases in timer.  Current Ashran capitals (WoD) are junk.  Blizz should have never moved capital cities off the main land if they were going to take way flying at level cap. 

2. Mini hearthstone to garrison - Good if you want to go to Ashran.  Bad if you go to your garrison and want to go out in the world.  Forced to use flight points or ground mounts to do anything.

3. Flight points that take control of a player away are the dominate travel system in WoW currently and is the worst in the industry.  Prove me wrong on this one.  I would love to be wrong.

Now, lets compare WoW to games that came out around the same time:

CoX - No more, but its subway system wasn't good but it was at least instant (eg like a portal).  It was improved upon over the years, and then they added auction house teleport, bases teleports, Ourouboruous teleports, etc.  Along with travel powers of flight, teleport, ninja run, super jump, etc.

Lineage 2: Started off with a hardcore old school travel system, where it took you literally 21 minutes to go from Glidn village through Gluio Castle town to Dion.  That was with windwalk buff, and if you were a dark elf or light elf.  Had teleports at gatekeepers, but high cost of adena.  Eventually added mounts, but had guild hall ports, scroll of escapes to towns, cattles, clan halls, fortress, etc.  Then they eventually added ports to all hunting areas.

Over the years, MMO have improved or added to their travel system.  Taking away travel system without compensating has never been done and it is not good for the health of the game long term.

Currently, WoW doesn't have enough portals to make the world relevant or dynamic.  A lot of it is masked because WoD is designed heavily by instances (garrisons, battle grounds, ashran, raids, etc).