Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Narcissistic Braggarts

2»

Comments

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I do value a pretty looking weapon.

But the difference in the past was that in Everquest, your epic weapon reflected your commitment to your guild and their commitment to you. It was the symbol of your friendship, because it was a team effort of 60 something people. I didn't like my epic because I could hit hard with it, I liked it because my guild helped me get it, and in return I could help my guild with it when I used it.

Every since F2P MMO came about, none of those accomplishments mean anything anymore, since everyone can buy their way to weapons. The only thing good gear in F2P represents is the fact you used your VISA card and someone else didn't.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I chose a mix. I do not log in for the sole purpose of helping others, but when the opportunity arises, I usually help out if I can. I have my own goals in mind when I play, but they are not set in stone :)

Not touching the young vs old crap going on.

Yeah, this is me.  I'm not a boy scout, I'm out to better my position in games, but am willing to help others when the opportunity presents itself, even if I don't really go out of my way to assist others much anymore.

Now, if I can only figure out a way to destroy the planet leaving nothing for the younger generation to inherit. (because we boomers are all like that you know)

Sucks to be you.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

Met one?  Are you one?

Bragging rights in games are awesome but...  "look at me" "look at me" is a juvenile sentiment not pretty from those 13+.  Telling everyone what you've accomplished makes you look good.  Humbly noticing what others have accomplished makes you look great.  Grasp the difference?

My mother was a major Narcissist and drama creator.  She has never been wrong in her life and the world revolves around her.

I feel that I see a lot more of both in today's modern society.   Way too many attention seekers who want validation just for being and not for real accomplishments.   But what can you do about it?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    None of the poll options fits me - I play to amuse myself and pass the time pleasantly.  There's no need for me to help other players because I assume that, like myself, everyone else is competent enough to achieve what they want on their own. Anyway, it's just a computer game - what's to brag about?  It's not like I've performed life-saving surgery or anything.

Made me think of something that George Carlin once said,

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Bragging you bought more virtual currency is stupid.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I play for others AND myself,you missed that part of the pole,that is how and why i play a MMO.

I cant stand the look at me ,it is another reason i dont like pvp,i already have enough genres and platforms for that type of gaming.

I have seen the same childish behavior for many many years.People start arguing then some kid says ..you dont know anything,your such a noob,i am in the best Raid guild in the game.Or you dont know anything,what level are you,they always seem to want to point at level.I see the same thing in Twitch chat,your a noob you are low rank,it actually proves to me what an arrogant noob they actually are.

But oh well we will never change the immature mindset and childish arguments from those type of people,so instead i tend to just laugh them off and ignore them.Trust me we have not heard the last of  YOU NOOB your only level or only rank so and so.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

rofl rarely is anyone strictly one or the other and to paraphrase a psychologist, if an individual strictly belongs to one or the other chances are they suffer from some sort of mental illness.

bye!

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

I used to be a team player.  When I helped run a raiding guild in WoW I didn't care about what my characters had or didn't have, and spent my game time trying to gear up guildmates or work with them on rotations and tactics on various pulls.  That was a really fun group of people to be around though.  I haven't found one like it in any game I've played since.  There are also downsides to it.  I'd go months at a time not seeing my characters do anything but trade gold for raid consumables.   New gear was always going to the person for whom it would help the raid the most, and I didn't have time to work toward acquiring other things in the game.

Today I play MMOs mostly to acquire stuff, but I don't really care what anybody else thinks about it.  I play to feel good about the investment I make in my characters and the subsequent payoff, not to say "Look at me!"  Of course, it is nice when I get a whisper form somebody who says "Hey!  Your toon looks awesome!" or "That (pet/mount/trophy/piece of gear) is really nice.  Where did you get it?" but I don't play for that acknowledgement.  I also make the same complements to others when I notice provided they aren't being obnoxious about it.   And even though I don't particularly go out of my way to actively help anymore, I'm still always happy to share information with players who are looking for it.  We can both enjoy our in-game accomplishments.  It's not a competition.

However, I think there is a substantial subpopulation in the gaming community that does place a high value on social prestige.  They play games to feel good about themselves, which they perceive as a reflection of their social standing.  It's one of the reasons why some gamers have to be "in" as early as possible ... they perceive that being able to say "I was in the beta" or "I was the first warrior to hit 100" confers social prestige. 

I also believe it's one of the reasons why MMOs are so popular despite many of them today being glorified single player games.  They provide a relatively level playing field (compared to playing a single player game with the potential of mods and cheat codes that can make different playthroughs extremely different), and you can show off your accomplishments in the forms of titles, gear, pets, mounts, and so on in a way that you really can't when it comes to single player games.  You can be a great Baldur's Gate player, know the game inside and out and know the perfect tactics to deal with every combat scenario in the game, but it's harder to convey that to the community than it is to show off your accomplishments in an MMO.

Self-aggrandizing behavior transcends both genders and all ages.  It's good at least to see people acknowledging that old farts in MMOs can be among the worst offenders.  I know that half the population of the games I play would be considered my peers in the real world (I'm 36), so I wind up shaking my head a lot when I see "kiddies" being blamed for the behavior of 35+ year-olds-going-on-10.

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

I have no problems when folks are happy with what they've accomplished in a game.  Getting that hard achievement, rare dungeon drop, wonderful furnishing for your house, tough raid boss downed, etc....no problems.  I will celebrate their accomplishments.   Part of belonging to a guild for me is celebrating in those accomplishments with other folks.

Serial braggarts....no thanks.   Each guild I've belonged to seems to always have them and they come in all shapes and sizes....teens to seniors, males, females, etc.    Remember that song "Anything you can do, I can do better?"    There is usually that one person that will always chime in with an accomplishment that tops anything someone else may have done.    I can usually spot them in a few play sessions and must say that I can't stand them.    They simply can't keep their mouths shut and must constantly talk about what wonderful things they've done.