Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a rather boring/sterile single player experience + endless repetitive grind

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

after trying it out for two weeks I am extremely disappointed by this game. Backed it 40 Dollars two years ago but I don´t think it lives up to the promises.

Impressions after two weeks+:

-There are only 4 types of stations in the entire universe

-All you do is buying and selling items from a list

-It looks the same everywhere, most disappointing was traveling 400ly to see if environments change but I found the excactly same looking stations again.

"unidentfied signal source" instances to find your bounty pop up if throttle down to 0 and wait 10 seconds. 

-Mining is boring and doesn´t give much income either

-It really looks generic everywhere. I thought they are going to create procedural stations that will look different?

-No avatars and planets, should have been there on launch not sometime after.

-Missions are generic, take things from here to there. Or kill a NPC that pops up in an "unidentified signale source" instance. Not exciting either.

-Also disappointed they tacked on DRM to a mostly single player experience, because I have not seen one real person with CMDR tag yet. It is not an MMO at all.

-Travelling times take forever, absolute time waste without any meaningful reason

- multiplayer is utterly useless and misses most basic features, can´t even comment on this further as no one is around and can not even be contacted as there isnt even some basic global chat or anything

positive;

- the sounds are good

- if you have a 150$ HOTAS it´s pretty fun for the first 10-15 hours

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm still chewing on it, but my attention is starting to wander...

Problem is, I never played the original Elite back in 1984, so there's no nostalgia trip for me. From reading the forums, it would appear that E:D is very close to what the fans of the original series wanted (minus the planetary landings).

Given the extremely limited budget (for a fairly high-profile game), I think FD have done a very good job. But the lack of money shows, imho.

Planetary landing is the single most mentioned thing that people seem to be looking forward to. There's no timeframe for it, but 8-12 months is not unrealistic I'd think. Perhaps it will be released for xmas 2015 (ready or not). But looking at the content that has been released in the main game at launch, I'd be inclined to think the planetary expansion will consist of:

• 4 or 5 generic spaceport layouts
    • miles and miles of beautiful procedurally generated terrain....
    • with nothing in it
  • It's more of a core of a game than a full game, if you ask me. The core is pretty good, but the game needs meat on it if it's going to last. There's lost of stuff from the design discussion archives not yet implemented, even if you disregard walking around and landing on planets.

I'm treating ED as an early access game for now. The combat is highly addicting, though.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

While I generally agree on many things.

I must say that I am seeing other players all the time, even more than I want - since often they are taking the queue to land on stations.

The game is just bare bones. There is nothing but the most basic gameplay implemented.

The gameplay is awesome for most part - but since its not much to do it gets old fast.

Its basically Early Access game - and thats true.

I just hope they actually continue to develop it.

One more important thing.

Although the game is actually online (kind of) - They decided not to have any global chat, guild chat, guilds, player groups.

Nothing that is standard of any online game or MMO

If they do not change this catastrophically strange decision - i would steer clear from the game, since its basically single player game

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Given your post history I'm curious why you even tried E:D?

You had your mind made up a long time ago.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by dave6660

agreed here !

for me ED is ok ,space sim MP,content should make players not scripted NPC or make that minimalistic ,I love how is ED maked & way where that game going. Until someone make X universe MP/MMO space sim I am not going to looking for another game in genre.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

+1 

Quite clear that the OP just doesn't 'get' Elite and wants it to be something it is not, ie a space opera.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Just another person that invests there money in a game without researching it first then cries wolf when lo and behold it doesnt match what they were looking for.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

+1 

Quite clear that the OP just doesn't 'get' Elite and wants it to be something it is not, ie a space opera.

So I don´t "get" Elite, okay then.

I get games that are not grindy and don´t let you repeat endless repetitive tasks in generic environments.

Great Star Citizen reference you made though, yes I´m looking forward to SC, that is no secret.

I would be equally disappointed if CIG would release their game in the same state, with almost no content but grindy repetition in generic environments. Should this happen you can be sure I will point it out too!

You really should not compare to Elite though, with the feature set of Star Citzen that has avatars and FPS and voiced story, with branching character story and single player campaign, it seems desperate to force them both even in the same category, which they are absolutely not. Don´t compare what can not be compared.

Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

+1 

So I don´t "get" Elite, okay then.

I get games that are not grindy and don´t let you repeat endless repetitive tasks in generic environments.

Great Star Citizen reference you made though, yes I´m looking forward to SC, that is no secret.

I would be equally disappointed if CIG would release their game in the same state, with almost no content but grindy repetition in generic environments. Should this happen you can be sure I will point it out too!

You really should not compare to Elite though, with the feature set of Star Citzen that has avatars and FPS and voiced story, with branching character story and single player campaign, it seems desperate to force them both even in the same category, which they are absolutely not. Don´t compare what can not be compared.

Yup you dont get elite, i watched a video and knew about the history of elite games, its pretty simple to work out. 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

In my book this is one of the top sins. If your core PvE game is lame then the game is done in my book. I play PvP games sporadically, but good PvE can hold me for a while. Bummer.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148

Thank you for being the voice of reason. As I feel the same way. Give or take. That does not make us right and of course does not make us wrong either. Anytime I have said stuff like you? Can be anywhere online really. I get chewed out, insulted and my intelligence questioned.

I get it's like that for almost any game. But some games are worse than others as far as it's fans are concerned. This is one of the worst ones. If someone doesn't like the game? It's because I don't understand what it's supposed to be or offer. Not because it's just not for me or it has some problems. But because I'm ignorant and or stupid.

At the very least when people like us bring up the same issues and other people soured by their time also echo what we think. There has to be some truth to it or a debatable point.

All the positive things I have read about this game are, "OMG A SPACCE SIMM GUIZE! HAVE NOTT PLAID 1 IN AGESS. I GIT TO FLYY AROUND INN SPACCE 4  A LONG TIMEE! PEW PEW PEW BLOW PEOPLE UP! IT ROX!! LOL HATAS GUNNA HATE!"

Sad part? They are not wrong. Even with my disappointment? It is the best space simulation in ages. I will say despite what I think are flaws? The game does have potential for the future.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

When a person says, "I've tried it, I'm trying to keep trying, and I'm not liking it", how are you going to reply, "Well, you just don't get it." I think he does get it just fine. Maybe you don't get it that you're energetic fans with obtuse arguments and you really enjoy vapid pastimes.

I'm not even going to get this game because this op, and others like him, give genuine reports with details how they have buyers' remorse. It's a damn good thing there's no community in game, or I'd use that as an excuse to pass it up, too. As it is, I'm only a half-step above recommending friends not get it.

Criticism is good, constructive criticism is even better but some people are so set against something that they refuse to even attempt to 'get' it and then you have (blessedly few) people like the OP.

If you want to see if someone has an agenda just have a look through their post history.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1

When a person says, "I've tried it, I'm trying to keep trying, and I'm not liking it", how are you going to reply, "Well, you just don't get it." I think he does get it just fine. Maybe you don't get it that you're energetic fans with obtuse arguments and you really enjoy vapid pastimes.

I'm not even going to get this game because this op, and others like him, give genuine reports with details how they have buyers' remorse. It's a damn good thing there's no community in game, or I'd use that as an excuse to pass it up, too. As it is, I'm only a half-step above recommending friends not get it.

Yep.. when I hear "you don't get it" that typically means to me there isn't any real argument against what the op is saying.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Don't write E:D off just yet.

I'm loathe to say it (because it has almost become a death sentence), but the game "has a lot of potential". I've said that about quite a few MMO's in recent years, and sadly none of them ever realised their potential.

In the case of E:D, the odds are stacked against it as an MMO because it's architecture limits it. That architecture was chosen for a reason though, because it reduces the operating costs significantly, which means it's more viable to keep it running as a "true" B2P game. It also means that the game doesn't need hundreds of thousands of players to survive. So it will continue as a Minimally Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game... but it will most likely continue, whereas it would have failed as a traditional MMORPG (due to the need for a much larger player base).

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

I'm about 30 hours into the game and so far the "Elite nostalgia" still holds firm and i'm having fun. I as well have the impression that they released a "just the basics" game. Now, i understand that the budget was limited and they probably did the most with the resources at their disposal. However, for a 50 euro price tag no one can blame people for wanting more.

I am sure that they will proceed in adding stuff into the game in a timely manner.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I wasn't expecting this to be a super awesome game of my tastes, Star Citizen already has me drooling in that fact. But I am a very big space sim fan, never played the original elite's, but I did play the other mans games (Freelancer, Wing Commander) and elite is quite similar in some aspects. And the core of the game is quite good, especially the sounds, whoever engineered the sounds for this game deserves an award.

However, I started this game with 2 other people and we've made it by. We stopped playing on open MMO and just stuck with Private Group, but even then "Grouping" doesn't even really exist. Thanks to teamspeak to allowing us to communicate because there is no in game faction/global/group chat. The in game voice comm's actually have a really cool "space radio" aspect that has the same feedback as if you were watching a Star Wars movie, however it's very glitchy and there is no push to talk or any adjustments you can make to try and tone it.

The combat and AI is very solid, and the fights can be quite fun and feel very realistic in terms of physics. However sometimes finding the fights can be tough, and then there's a few things that can be very game breaking to anyone. And that's the fact that when you die, you lose all your exploration data and any bounties you have acquired that you have not turned in yet. Now this is fine if it is something of your own doing and mess up, you suck it up and move on, but after multiple times it gets very frustrating. Perhaps we as gamers have been spoiled by the fact "perma-death' no longer exists in games, but this was a rude awakening. I played Star Wars Galaxies as a pre-patch jedi and had to deal with perma-death then, so I am experienced with it. But when I am entering a Cube Station to dock and a bigger ship rams me and insta-explodes me, it pisses me off, especially when I couldn't even see it until it was too late.

We had 2 other friends try the game who aren't as familiar with space sims, and they literally could not find their way in the game, there is no newbie tutorial or "starting area" there is a few video's and single player tutorial missions that "kind of" explain needed basics of the under-core of the game, such as combat and flight. But nothing to introduce you to the world beyond such as the different things you can do. I figured out a few things to keep me occupied between bounty hunting, running a few trade missions, and even touched on mining (Which is horrendous). Exploration is a passive thing as you move along systems and explore the planets. After you move far enough away from systems you can sell the info to past systems, this of course is only true if you didn't die and lost all of it.

All in all I agree with others, this is still an Alpha/Early Access game, to which the core that does exist is very good. But the basics to what make it an "MMO" are non-existent. And repetition sets in quick, if you even get that far. I cannot recommend this game currently at all to anyone other than die hard Elite fans or people just wanting to get rid of their Freelancer itch.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Troveaholic

Thank you for being the voice of reason. As I feel the same way. Give or take. That does not make us right and of course does not make us wrong either. Anytime I have said stuff like you? Can be anywhere online really. I get chewed out, insulted and my intelligence questioned.

I get it's like that for almost any game. But some games are worse than others as far as it's fans are concerned. This is one of the worst ones. If someone doesn't like the game? It's because I don't understand what it's supposed to be or offer. Not because it's just not for me or it has some problems. But because I'm ignorant and or stupid.

At the very least when people like us bring up the same issues and other people soured by their time also echo what we think. There has to be some truth to it or a debatable point.

thanks and I agree with you too.

Also what I think is funny that every time a factual critcism is voiced someone says "Star Citizen fanboy" or something SC related, but this is not true I wanted two or even four great new space sims but this one really lacks, so my primary hope is back to Star Citizen, that´s all. I Even backed Transverse from PGI sadly it failed. Concept sounded cool though maybe they do it after all.

Doesn´t mean that Elite Dangerous can´t evolve into something great, look at Eve and how long it took, I think ED could be great in 3-4 years or so, when the game has matured. Hope they stick to it and don´t abandon it.

Wish them good luck tho.....

• RdizzleRdizzle Member Posts: 2

after trying it out for two weeks I am extremely disappointed by this game. Backed it 40 Dollars two years ago but I don´t think it lives up to the promises.

-It looks the same everywhere, most disappointing was traveling 400ly to see if environments change but I found the excactly same looking stations again.

"unidentfied signal source" instances to find your bounty pop up if throttle down to 0 and wait 10 seconds. 

-It really looks generic everywhere. I thought they are going to create procedural stations that will look different?

-Missions are generic, take things from here to there. Or kill a NPC that pops up in an "unidentified signale source" instance. Not exciting either.

-Also disappointed they tacked on DRM to a mostly single player experience, because I have not seen one real person with CMDR tag yet. It is not an MMO at all.

-Travelling times take forever, absolute time waste without any meaningful reason

- multiplayer is utterly useless and misses most basic features, can´t even comment on this further as no one is around and can not even be contacted as there isnt even some basic global chat or anything

positive;

- the sounds are good

- if you have a 150$ HOTAS it´s pretty fun for the first 10-15 hours

Hopefully there is more content to come. Because the core is there and it is a beautiful game  with tons of immersion.

thanks and I agree with you too.

Also what I think is funny that every time a factual critcism is voiced someone says "Star Citizen fanboy" or something SC related, but this is not true I wanted two or even four great new space sims but this one really lacks, so my primary hope is back to Star Citizen, that´s all. I Even backed Transverse from PGI sadly it failed. Concept sounded cool though maybe they do it after all.

It's not factual criticism though, nearly all of it is entirely subjective.

You've made it clear you're not enamored with Elite for many, many months, why suddenly start playing a game you have disliked so much for so long?

Doesn´t mean that Elite Dangerous can´t evolve into something great, look at Eve and how long it took, I think ED could be great in 3-4 years or so, when the game has matured. Hope they stick to it and don´t abandon it.

Wish them good luck tho.....

This comes across as a very passive aggressive compliment.

False. Stations have a theme they follow so they "look" similar at first glance even though they're quite different - http://www.elitegalaxy.org/?cat=4

False. There are many different ways to play the game.

It's an "accurate" replication of our galaxy, not fantasy space - http://www.elitegalaxy.org/?cat=5

Don't know about this.

Is it possible for mining to not be boring? Find pristine metallic rings and it's very lucrative.

Space is space. There are quite a few different styles of stations - http://www.elitegalaxy.org/?cat=4

This was known from the start.

Generally missions in all MMOs are generic. Missions vary on reputation, ranking, system states etc.

Online game requires connection. If you're playing in solo you won't see CMDRs, otherwise space is big, visit the popular systems to see people.

Space is big. Objects have gravitational pull, avoid them. If travel was fast the galaxy wouldn't have any scale.

Not utterly useless but certainly not fully featured. Just takes a bit more work and ingenuity at present. The devs have said multiplayer tools are coming.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    The oldest story in the book: People buy a game without spending 5 minutes to read what the game's about, then post a plantantly ignorant review that can be summed up in "This game is a space sim, I didn't know it's a space sim therefore this game sucks"
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Planetary landing is the single most mentioned thing that people seem to be looking forward to.

Well, for me this is the sole reason why I didn't buy the game yet - I was deeply disappointed that out-of-ship experience was announced for the title.

I honestly do not understand the desire why whould anyone want an avatar gameplay in a game about space ships. It is juts redundant, meaningless feature in a game where is no place for it. It only drains resources that could have been spent better elsewhere.

Imo, it is a pipe dream - they want it in the game, they see it as "cool" but they have no clue or use for such experience gameplay wise.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by kishe

The oldest story in the book: People buy a game without spending 5 minutes to read what the game's about

He did spent a while bashing the game tho...

'Travelling time takes forever'. Made me laugh. Maybe we should be able to insta-port between all 400 billion stars and be able to queue up for system battle grounds.

• CalkrowCalkrow Member UncommonPosts: 92

I've seen dozens of CMDRs, often 4-5 with a few minutes around a small orbital platform where I'm having to wait to be allowed to dock.

Are you sure you're playing in the 'open' universe?

Forum Post count does not = Game Intelligence or Knowledge  it just shows how often people like to talk.