Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: PAX South Shaping Up to Reveal Big Things

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The PAX South schedule has been released and it features an interesting panel on the main stage that will be hosted by ArenaNet co-founder Mike O'Brien and Guild Wars 2 game director Colin Johanson. Called "Beyond the Point of No Return", could it be the long-awaited expansion announcement? A new game perhaps? Speculate in the comments below.

Thanks Meowhead for the tip. Participate in the conversation in this forum thread.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    "big things" always means LS update worth 12 hours of playtime.

Maybe they will remove and rework more systems that aren't needed to make it even more grindy.

Traits screw up, NPE. Those were "big things" and I don't want any more.

They wont even fix what is broken... Why would you expect that they can pull off making anything "big" actually work when you lol at their currently unresolved lists...
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

wow you a happy camper.  I'm guessing expansion announcement time.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Wont be an xpac, they have repeatedly said that LS is what they are doing.

It will be an update, to what extent remains to be seen.
  • itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Holding my breath but I wish it was leaked that it would be a PvP update. Love the engine but conquest after conquest gets dull quickly.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    New race, new professions, new weapons for professions, new weapons in general, new lands...basically an expansion is what they need to announce. Anything less and it's a total joke.
  • GilwenGilwen Member UncommonPosts: 48

Big thing? They gave us NPE, so it must be OPE now (Old player experience). Where they switch around with abilities so everything is "easier" and no one sees any point in playing anymore.

Also LS that gives us 3-12 hours of new experience.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    The only thing that would renew my interest in GW2 would be an expansion.
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    This better not be some token Living Story season 3 announcement. We know that's coming eventually.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    i think it is going to be something really interesting.because of mike obrian, he was silent for last 2 years why he suddenly showing up at pax east, if it was not important he would not go through trouble, if it same old stuff then others can easily manage like last year. so it something that must be announced by him.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

"beyond the point of no return" <---- sounds like NCsoft is pulling the plug lol

on a serious note....better be an expansion 

• Can't wait this is one of the best MMORPG's out on the market. If it's a new expansion people will probably flail their arms around like crazy people.
  • iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106

I do await them announcing that huge content updates are on the way however I am not holding my breath for an expansion. After reading the describtion of Anet's ''reveal'' it seems that they are going to come up with some new method to introduce ''expansions''. 

Honestly speaking I wish there would be an expansion however if Anet is coming up with something new, I wish it is soemthing worthwhile.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"...hear how we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe."

Yeah doesn't sound like an expansion to me. Sound like adding more to the existing game. I expect to hear words/prashes like "Huge", "big as..", and lots of "Just like..." No xpac though...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Thupli

They did say that at the beginning of the living story but the pubslisher talked about an expansion a long time. ANET have been rather silent about it all the last 1 1/2 years.

I think they will instead go a third way and add a new campaign like they did in the first game with Factions and Nightfall. They weren't really expansions since you could play them without even owning the original game or visiting Tyria.

We did also get a few hints about Cantha in the living story about Marjorie and her sister so my guess is that the campaign will set place in Cantha.

While the living story can be fun and slowly add new zones that isn't enough. ANET is pretty large and unlike many companies are the GW2 team actually larger now then during development. I doubt they can keep all those people just working on living story and fixes.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Loke666

They did say that at the beginning of the living story but the pubslisher talked about an expansion a long time. ANET have been rather silent about it all the last 1 1/2 years.

I think they will instead go a third way and add a new campaign like they did in the first game with Factions and Nightfall. They weren't really expansions since you could play them without even owning the original game or visiting Tyria.

We did also get a few hints about Cantha in the living story about Marjorie and her sister so my guess is that the campaign will set place in Cantha.

While the living story can be fun and slowly add new zones that isn't enough. ANET is pretty large and unlike many companies are the GW2 team actually larger now then during development. I doubt they can keep all those people just working on living story and fixes.

Yea, season 1 had four teams. I would say that is maximum 50 devs. 100 or so working on gameplay patches, "WvW patches",, PvP, UI.

Still leaves 150-200 developers. But whatever comes, I guess the cash shop will receive ten fold more.

Cautiously looking from a distance. If it is just more of the same that we have seen so far I wont bother returning. Even if it is content enough to consider it being like an expansion. All the goodies will be in the cash shop. 

However, they have seemed to add grindy achievements with skins and such. Maybe I would be interested in them if it was added closer to launch. So tired of looking at weapon skins locked behind RNG boxes. 

Originally posted by andre369

Yea, season 1 had four teams. I would say that is maximum 50 devs. 100 or so working on gameplay patches, "WvW patches",, PvP, UI.

Still leaves 150-200 developers. But whatever comes, I guess the cash shop will receive ten fold more.

Cautiously looking from a distance. If it is just more of the same that we have seen so far I wont bother returning. Even if it is content enough to consider it being like an expansion. All the goodies will be in the cash shop. 

However, they have seemed to add grindy achievements with skins and such. Maybe I would be interested in them if it was added closer to launch. So tired of looking at weapon skins locked behind RNG boxes. 

There was an interview in which it was said that the team working on Living Story 2 is consisted of around 30 people. Meaning that we have around 270 people left as Ncsoft said that Anet have over 300 people working in the company it atm. There is apparently a team to take care of maintaining the game, then we have revamps and feature packs. However, considering that Anet, jsut during the betas, scratched entire systems and add completly others, it means that its' is quite capable. I have never seen a team consisted of 270 people working on just maintaining an MMO by adding normal patches and revamps. 

GW2 was also the most commercially successful title since WoW pretty much so I don't think it has issues money-wise, especially that it is supported by Ncsoft, which is not a small company at all. It would be mindblowing for me if Anet didn't work on anything else and Ncsoft still let them keep 270 people working on nothing more than maintaining the game.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Vladric_Hellsinger
    Can't wait this is one of the best MMORPG's out on the market. If it's a new expansion people will probably flail their arms around like crazy people.

haha! I know I will along with the rest of the GW2 community.

I was a pure GW2 fan but only play now and again to keep up with stuff. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Pemmin

"beyond the point of no return" <---- sounds like NCsoft is pulling the plug lol

Very unlikely seeing as GW2 is one of their only successful titles.

This game still has a massive amount of players playing it, something that gets obvious pretty quickly if you log in and play a little while. At this point I'd argue it has the daily player activity levels closely matching WoW today (post-WoD launch).

For example I can go to GW2 boss events and literally find several full maps with people doing them, but then I could go and do a daily garrison quest in WoW on a very busy server and maybe only find 20 people still doing them. GW2 wins the race for the casual MMO gamer, no contest, so I imagine it is quite profitable for both ArenaNet and NCSoft.

That being said, for GW2 to become my game again, it would need an expansion the size of GW2 campaigns; 20 new zones, new classes (new races being optional), new content mechanics, more levels... And wishful thinking, an abandonment of Ascended gear.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by raapnaap

This game still has a massive amount of players playing it, something that gets obvious pretty quickly if you log in and play a little while. At this point I'd argue it has the daily player activity levels closely matching WoW today (post-WoD launch).

For example I can go to GW2 boss events and literally find several full maps with people doing them, but then I could go and do a daily garrison quest in WoW on a very busy server and maybe only find 20 people still doing them. GW2 wins the race for the casual MMO gamer, no contest, so I imagine it is quite profitable for both ArenaNet and NCSoft.

That being said, for GW2 to become my game again, it would need an expansion the size of GW2 campaigns; 20 new zones, new classes (new races being optional), new content mechanics, more levels... And wishful thinking, an abandonment of Ascended gear.

You aren't seriously comparing the populations of WoW and GW2 are you? image GW2 had an okay retention rate, but many of the servers before the "megaservers" came into being were quite empty.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by stevebombsquad

You aren't seriously comparing the populations of WoW and GW2 are you? image GW2 had an okay retention rate, but many of the servers before the "megaservers" came into being were quite empty.

None MMO title can be compared to WoW though. GW2's population is still one of the biggest in the western MMO industry.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by iGumballStar

None MMO title can be compared to WoW though. GW2's population is still one of the biggest in the western MMO industry.

Which is what? Give me a number.

• Uzur9Uzur9 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I hope it is an expansion but then again I feel I should maybe give up on that idea.  A guy can still dream though right?
    Originally posted by iGumballStar

Where are you getting your numbers? SWTOR and FF14 seem to both be doing quite well. FF14 hasn't had to merge servers, and is even moving some to provide better service. ArenaNet has never posted numbers, only total sold. It is really difficult to tell how it is doing with the "megaservers." It is profitable so I suppose it doesn't really matter. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Where are you getting your numbers? SWTOR and FF14 seem to both be doing quite well. FF14 hasn't had to merge servers, and is even moving some to provide better service. ArenaNet has never posted numbers, only total sold. It is really difficult to tell how it is doing with the "megaservers." It is profitable so I suppose it doesn't really matter. 

Few MMOs present active subscriber numbers today, and even when they do they might not all count the same way.

GW2 must be doing pretty good because ANET is actually larger now then a few months before release.

Compare that to a game doing badly, like Mythic after the launch of WAR. They started the downsizing very fast and siraled downwards until they got closed.

It would not surprise me at all if FF XIV have more active players though, it is if nothing else huge in Japan while GW2 seems to be selling somewhat better in China then here.

TOR was doing pretty badly a while but have turned things around and seems to cash in plenty now. If that is because it have many players or that most players do sub and buy a lot of stuff is more then I know though.

Anyways, all 3 games are surely on the top 10 most played MMOs in the West so calling them a failure would be silly even if FFs launch were rather crappy and TOR needed some work to get it's playerbase.

I don't see what any of it have to do much with the topic besides that GW2 needs a new expansion or campaign if it wants to grow much.

Few MMOs present active subscriber numbers today, and even when they do they might not all count the same way.

GW2 must be doing pretty good because ANET is actually larger now then a few months before release.

Compare that to a game doing badly, like Mythic after the launch of WAR. They started the downsizing very fast and siraled downwards until they got closed.

It would not surprise me at all if FF XIV have more active players though, it is if nothing else huge in Japan while GW2 seems to be selling somewhat better in China then here.

TOR was doing pretty badly a while but have turned things around and seems to cash in plenty now. If that is because it have many players or that most players do sub and buy a lot of stuff is more then I know though.

Anyways, all 3 games are surely on the top 10 most played MMOs in the West so calling them a failure would be silly even if FFs launch were rather crappy and TOR needed some work to get it's playerbase.

I don't see what any of it have to do much with the topic besides that GW2 needs a new expansion or campaign if it wants to grow much.

What makes you think it is selling better in China? No real numbers have been released..... They even stated in the last earnings call that sales in China are weaker than expected.