Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD VS Intel, CPU, GPU & MB suggestions

15678911»

Comments

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Hulluck

I would like to know how one manages so many tabs in a  browser. I get 10 or so open when shopping and that becomes a headache.  

Did the op buy a pc yet or still deciding?

As of right this moment I have not made a purchase but plan to either tonight or tomorrow.  Waited for sales to go back on now that it's new years and seems I can get everything with descent shipping. So purchase is imminent.

• razor19112krazor19112k Member UncommonPosts: 22

I upgraded my beast awhile ago too an i7

Asus X99 Deluxe

Intel Core i7-5960x

32 GB DDR4

Samsung 850 PRO SSD 256 GB

2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD'S

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 G1 4GB GDDR5

Cooler Master Storm Trooper Full Tower

Corsair Professional Series AX760 PSU

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

I'm currently playing the Black Desert beta (Korean) and pull between 35-45 FPS with close to max graphic options with the following specs.

My current system specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4770k

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12

MB: ASRock Z87E-ITX

GPU: EVGA GTX 770

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 8Gb (2x4Gb sticks)

SSD: Crucial M500 240Gb

PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G

Wonderful builds guys, but not going the i7 route cause of price, thanks for letting us know though...
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

My build is

hm  right now I checked   I sugest you take this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTEL-Core-i5-4690K-3-5Ghz-ASUS-H81M-PLUS-Motherboard-CPU-Bundle-/121388049019?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item1c434aa27b

Coolbay VX Zero

Gtx 970 gigamyte G1  great card Runs cold like ice even in latest games on Ultra  great performance  veary cheap

PSU   CX 600  Bronze   great psu with great reputation

Ram  get 8gb 1600 MHz from corsair   from other after a year they might run at 1333 Mhz like in my case ...

Hdd 1 Terabyte

For USA it should be around 1k $ or even lower  if you find a good store

Also avoid gtx 760 had one was terrible  and temperature crazy high  and worst  coild whine I ever had   like 5 times higher than on my new one

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by MikePaladin

My build ishm  right now I checked   I sugest you take thishttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTEL-Core-i5-4690K-3-5Ghz-ASUS-H81M-PLUS-Motherboard-CPU-Bundle-/121388049019?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item1c434aa27b

Problem is that there is a K processor but MB in the bundle is H81 chipset that does not allow overlocking so you sort of waste a potential of that CPU.

Still good bundle for the price tho.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by NightHaveN
    That's why I said a 4+ core chip would be an improvement on the overall system performance (responsiveness) in the OS.  Unlike games which usually are a a single bloated binary, an OS is made of hundreds of small binaries, libraries, etc.  The more cores you have, the more stuff you can do simultaneously....And speaking of the games... can you give a name or two? 

Since we are on an MMO board, this report is semi-famous talking about GW2 and multicore performance:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

One note of caution, they are pitting various core-counted CPUs together, and while they try to normalize it (they clock all of them at 3Ghz), they don't account for differences in architecture. If they had taken a 6 or 8 core CPU and selectively disabled cores, they would have accomplished that. So you can really only pit the liked-architecture CPUs against each other and draw many conclusions, but they do have enough data to be able to do that - it's just a shame that they aren't the ones drawing the right conclusions (one more reason I don't entirely trust Tom's).

With that in mind, I did a followup post to that here once upon a time with my i7 920 doing exactly that, selectively disabling cores (with and without HT) and benchmarking the game, all the way down to a single core.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/365208/GW2-hardware-considerations.html

So there is one game, and an MMO at that, in pretty good detail.

I recently got my bonus at work, so I have just recently built a new one. I have 3 gaming rigs in my house right now (my new one, my wife's, and my old one that may get handed off to my son at some point)

Oldest build:
    Intel i7 920 (2.66 stock, can OC to 4.2 for short periods of time, 3.7 stable)
    Sapphire 6970
    Asus P6T motherboard
    12G 1333 DDR3 RAM
    2x120G Crucial SSDs
    Corsair 750W PSU (can't remember which model)
    (used to have a Toshiba 3T storage drive, but I recycled that into my new build)
    Custom water cooling circuit (was my hobby)
    Full-tower Lian-Li case
    Built in 2008 when I was still single and had money and time to tinker with it - had SLI 260's at the time - which was a mistake but I wanted to play with it. Upgraded video in 2010 to drop SLI. Still runs nearly everything on high. I don't recall how much this build cost initially - but after upgrading the video in 2010 I haven't really touched it apart from adding an SSD.

Wife's build:
    Intel i5 3570k
    EVGA 660
    Asus P8Z77M Micro ATX
    Seasonic 520W Bronze PSU
    16G 1600 DDR3 RAM
    120G Samsung SSD
    2x 1.5T WD storage drives
    Coolermaster Hyper 212
    Lian Li Micro ATX case
    Wife does more pictures and printing than gaming, but occasionally plays games, mostly SWTOR or more casual titles. This build came in around $1000 2-2.5 years ago.

My new build (this was actually the second build I did like this, the first was for a friend, and I got a nice bonus this year):
    Core i7 4790k
    Asus Strix 980
    Asus Maximus Gene Z97 Micro ATX
    Corsair A750i PSU
    32G 1333 DDR3 RAM
    500G Crucial SSD
    3T Toshiba bulk drive (recycled from my first build)
    Corsair H100i cooler
    Corsair Carbide Micro ATX case
    The RAM was overkill, but I wanted to play with RAM drives again. The video, also overkill, but I'm hoping to go up to past 1920x1200 sometime. After having a full tower case with a beefy pump humming in my hear for years, I wanted something powerful, small, and quiet (hence the Strix). I had to mod both the video card and case to make it fit in the micro atx case. This build came in just north of $2k, but I admittedly splurged on a lot of it.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Ridelynn

So there is one game, and an MMO at that, in pretty good detail.

You mean a case where 2 Core Pentium beats crap out of 8 core FX?

By disabling selective cores you are just creating artificial scenario that does not exist in real - pointless test.

Well I didnt buy last night thinking some things may be cheaper today.  Unfortunately most of the combo deals I had and some sales completely ended and now aren't available.  So right now the biggest price issue is with the video card I had selected.  Now I had this card selected:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150701  - $329.99

Now it is about $40 more expensive.  I'm looking at this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150697  - $269.99

From what I can tell, the difference between the two is 40mhz.  Is that amount of core clock speed worth the $60 price increase?  I know for games this is the most important piece so if I have to just suck it up and purchase something a bit more expensive than what I expected, I guess so be it.  However if I can find a way to save money short of longer shipping time than I will at this point since I seemed to screw myself over.  

Thoughts or other GPU suggestions?

I want to get this purchased and on its way by end of day today..

I don't think factory overclocks are ever worth paying extra for.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by Cramit845

Well I didnt buy last night thinking some things may be cheaper today.  Unfortunately most of the combo deals I had and some sales completely ended and now aren't available.  So right now the biggest price issue is with the video card I had selected.  Now I had this card selected:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150701  - $329.99

Now it is about $40 more expensive.  I'm looking at this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150697  - $269.99

From what I can tell, the difference between the two is 40mhz.  Is that amount of core clock speed worth the $60 price increase?  I know for games this is the most important piece so if I have to just suck it up and purchase something a bit more expensive than what I expected, I guess so be it.  However if I can find a way to save money short of longer shipping time than I will at this point since I seemed to screw myself over.  

Thoughts or other GPU suggestions?

I want to get this purchased and on its way by end of day today..

Yeah, the clock speed is pretty much the difference.  XFX may (or may not) do some binning of their own, testing chips to see which ones can clock higher.  If so, it's not guaranteed that the cheaper card can overclock to the same speed as the more expensive one.

But is it worth paying 20% more to get a card clocked 4% higher?  No, or at least not for gaming purposes.  I could understand paying a few dollars more for a factory overclock.  But only a few.  $60 is not a few.

Well I made the purchase about 2 hours ago or so.  I ended up with going for a bit cheaper motherboard to offset the cost.   At this point just glad its finally purchased and on its way.  Thank you everyone who posted, it was great getting all the advice.

Just wanted to give 1 last update.  Received the parts, put them together and other than not having a DVI-D single cable everything worked great.  Installed OS and some games last night and the PC is running like a champ. (knock on wood)  Again thanks to everyone who gave suggestions and maybe will post some pictures.  Just wanted to let you guys know it is all going well and so far I LOVE the new pc.

(Not to mention logged into EQ:Landmark last night and it is running on high settings without even flinching, WOOT!)