Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this run modern games in high/ultra

JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100

Hey everyone sold my old rig and working on rebuilding. This is what i have so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NPsrP6

The psu is not listed cause i have one already its a 700watt corsair vengeance i believe.

any things anyone would twink? I know its not the newest gfx card put not tryin to splurge but if someone can recommend a better for same price or maybe no more than 50 over im all ears thanks

Comments

• HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Originally posted by Jenosyde
    Hey everyone sold my old rig and working on rebuilding. This is what i have so far.http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NPsrP6The psu is not listed cause i have one already its a 700watt corsair vengeance i believe.any things anyone would twink? I know its not the newest gfx card put not tryin to splurge but if someone can recommend a better for same price or maybe no more than 50 over im all ears thanks

upgrade that hard drive to at least 7200rpm

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100

Done. and updated.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HVDVZL

any preferred operating system for gaming?

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

If your PSU is couple of years old, it would be wise to replace it.

I see you are going for OC MBO and CPU. If you are eager to OC, you should look for some water cooling solution. That Hyper Evo 212 will not suffice. Otherwise, you might as well go for non-K CPU and cheaper MBO and get better GPU or HDD.

Regarding your HDD choice, it's cheap and it works, but loading times will be very slow compared to SSD.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Corsair Vengeance is usually memory, though they've also applied that brand name to keyboards or mice or some such.  I'm not aware of any power supply with that name, so you'd best check to see exactly what you have.

You're completely missing a case and an optical drive.  If you're going to reuse an old one, that's fine, but you'd better have one if you're planning on installing the OS from an optical drive.

Don't get Windows 8.  If that's what you want, you should be looking for Windows 8.1, not scrounging for the last few Windows 8 DVDs that haven't sold yet.

No SSD means that things will be sluggish.  That's not what I'd advise, but that's a matter of priorities, not a case of obviously stupid component choices.

Thanks for the replies, yea i will have to check on psu i know its corsair 700 will have to look. I am using a older case of mine its coolmaster HAF tower case, also i have never used SSD drives is the difference pretty noticable? 
  • Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

Consider joining the Windows 10 beta, and pay for the OS later, and use the money now to buy better parts. Like, a nice SSD. Just a thought.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Beta OS might not be for you, or for your games. Your call. Do not trust your term paper or dissertation to a beta os, but it's fine for games.

Get an SSD, it's much faster, go for one with 5 years warranty if you can. You could pair a new SSD with your old harddrive, if the old drive is big enough for your needs.

Get some canned air duster, and blow out the PSU real good. If you got a good quality PSU, it can last more than 5 years. Eventually, either the fan, or the capacitors will give out, this can damage the mobo/cpu. A good quality PSU can be replaced later, so you can spend more on critical parts now. 5 years or less, keep it, 7-10+, replace.

**The parts! They arrived! THEY ARRIVED! :p

Thanks for the tip on the windows 10 beta may do that I knew it was releasing just didnt know when.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Thanks for the replies, yea i will have to check on psu i know its corsair 700 will have to look. I am using a older case of mine its coolmaster HAF tower case, also i have never used SSD drives is the difference pretty noticable? 

They make old computers feel like a brand new updated one.

They are something you will not ever want to go without once you use one.

People do not realize how much time they sit around waiting on stuff to load or for computers to boot up till they get one and see for themselves.

It really is a night and day thing for me. Will never go without one again.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by DarLorkar

People do not realize how much time they sit around waiting on stuff to load or for computers to boot up till they get one and see for themselves.

Yeah, got my laptop to boot 3 times faster and feel like it is new. It is a huge difference but only when you load stuff, it have little impact when you play even if I did notice difference in some games (got rid of the problems when walking past a hidden zone in Vanguard for example, had no stuttering after it).

It is great to have since everytime you load something you gain a lot of speed but it is not a must if you are the patient type.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by DarLorkar

Agreed. 

Also, overall system responsiveness is improved greatly.  Have  you ever clicked on something then waited for the system to load whatever you clicked on?  I'm not referring to just opening a program.  Right-clicking on your desktop to open the contextual menu may have a delay if your computer is still loading things on a fresh boot.  Switching between applications may also have a delay, depending on how long something has been minimized and if Windows puts the program's memory in the page file instead of keeping it in RAM.  A SSD fixes all of those performance issues.

Thanks for all the replies i think i have got the build for my budget trying to stay below 800 thats not including psu and case already own them.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Cq9rWZ

Now i went with the r9 290 after recent drop in price seems like a good card.

Though if i got 2 latter models say 2 r9 270x and ran in SLI would i see more fps?

Or, should I get the r9 290 and when i get most cash buy another and run 2 of these?

Also im not sure if nvidia or amd is better for gaming i have had both but they were late model cards.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Thanks for all the replies i think i have got the build for my budget trying to stay below 800 thats not including psu and case already own them.http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Cq9rWZNow i went with the r9 290 after recent drop in price seems like a good card.Though if i got 2 latter models say 2 r9 270x and ran in SLI would i see more fps?Or, should I get the r9 290 and when i get most cash buy another and run 2 of these?Also im not sure if nvidia or amd is better for gaming i have had both but they were late model cards.

Go with a single faster card. That's my advice. The R9 290s are a hell of a deal right now. SLI/CFX is really only worth it if you are willing to throw a lot of money at it, and accept a lot of headaches with it.

As for nVidia vs AMD - unless you absolutely need something that one has and the other does, go on basis of price/performance.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

You are better off running one badass GPU over two lower end GPUs.

I would buy an R9 290 or 290x over two 270s.