Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still one of the best and unique MMOs

Comments

• LovelockeLovelocke Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff35
    Originally posted by Lovelocke
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Well I saw this thread and thought I would give the game a go. I've not even got in the game yet and I'm already not impressed - the installer says "game ready to play", but then it loads another window and starts downloading more files. I know it's only a little thing, but already feel lied to...

Also, the payment structure of this game looks like a complete and utter mess. I read earlier in this thread that by subbing you'll have no restrictions. But on the VIP subscription page, there's this small print: "*Helm's Deep™, Riders of Rohan™, Rise of Isengard™, Mines of Moria™ and Siege of Mirkwood™ are not included" - so it seems subbing doesn't unrestrict all content, and looks more like a version of Rift's Patron system.

The wording in the copy puts me off too - for the quad expansion it says "all expansions for xxx", but this doesn't include Helms Deep, so it's not "all expansions" but rather a portion of them.

I know I may be being a bit picky, but after dancing with Trion with ArcheAge I'm very cautious about the games I play. I do not want to play a game that'll be riddled with extra DLC, or parts locked off unless I fork out more and more money on top of a subscription. 

It's free to try, so I'm going to try it, but my initial view of the game is it's a mess.

Actually its the best F2P system of any MMo out there...   As long as you realise nothing in this world is free..

You get the first 30 levels for free, allmost unrestricted, during that time you can earn ingame store points for those little things you need...

And after level 30 you need to pay for the content, weather in expansion packs, or questpacks.   Which actually seems rather fair to me..  If you buy all the content you need, there is no reason to subscribe.

If you want to play the whole game for free, be prepared to invest a whole lot of time, as you need to do all the little deeds and other things that give you free storepoints... but it is still possible.. Just takes dedication and an awfull lot of time.

Otherwise, be prepared to pay a little fee once in a while... nothing bad, as long as you realise its not a free game.

Sadly with your current mindset, i guess your game experience is doomed to fail... just try to enjoy the game step by step, get pas the intro and venture into the world enjoying the quests and story it has to tell...

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not expecting to play a game for free - I'm an ESO subscriber, and I've also put a fair bit of money into Rift and Guild Wars 2. But on these games, the payment structure is quite straightforward. My concern with LOTRO is that it's not clear from the myriad of pages, and the contradictory copy, about what you're actually getting with the money you spend. There's expansions, VIP, store points, more content unlocks (steeds?); and after reading these pages I've walked away unsure and unclear about exactly what I'm paying for (and what I need to pay for).

And regarding your comment about my current mindset; this has unfortunately come about from LOTRO themselves; I actually felt quite hopeful from reading the opening post to this thread, you made the game sound really good. But after spending some time on the LOTRO website, I left feeling concerned, and cautious to proceed.

Oh come on...after reading your comments it's clear you are here to derail this thread. So you say you sub to ESO?  What exactly do you get from subbing to ESO?  Well once you answer that you will get your answer to what you get when you sub to Lotro.  The fact you think you would get all the "PAID EXPANSIONS" because you sub is ridiculous, nobody who ever played an MMORPG would honestly think that.  Which if you want my honest opinion proves you are using an alt account in an attempt to derail and bash lotro...

Well you're a little aggressive, aren't you? I don't understand how I'm 'derailing' the thread - the thread is about LOTRO, and my posts were giving my 'initial' opinion of the game. I believe this forum is a place to discuss games, and, dare I say it, to debate also. I'm sorry my initial reaction to a game you love is different to your own.

As to your question regarding the sub to ESO: for my sub I get access to ESO... Not too sure what you expected from me in answer? It's £8.99 a month. The point I was making with my comments regarding subbing to ESO, and spending money on Rift and GW2, is that I'm more than willing to spend money on a game I enjoy. But, after my experience with ArcheAge, I'm also cautious about putting money into a game that doesn't give you the content for that money, and expects constant additional payments just to get along. I don't think I'm being unreasonable in having this expectation.

And I'm not using an 'alt' account - I'm not even 'bashing' LOTRO.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by fivoroth

A subcription gives you access to everything but the 5 expansions the game has.

This is definitely not true. There are many things that are store exclusive and can't be obtained in game, and a few more that are only available in game through a grind which makes winning the lottery appear as an easy thing.

That wouldn't be too bad if it was only cosmetic stuff, but it isn't.

Even with a subscription, LOTRO is still "pay to win". And that's sad.

Pay 2 win?  Hardly...and yes if you sub you get all content...if you consider a few relics "content " you still can get that with your monthly TP allowance you get from subbing.  Pay 2 win that's hilarious!   

This is definitely not true. There are many things that are store exclusive and can't be obtained in game, and a few more that are only available in game through a grind which makes winning the lottery appear as an easy thing.

Can you give examples about the pay2win bits? 

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

You can buy tomes that boost your agility/might stats etc permanently. You can buy them for in game gold from other players/AH.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Yep, I'd like to see some examples too, I'm curious.

:)

Locke, there's no p2w in LotRO, especially not when subbed. True, fivoroth wasn't precise enough with the everything - there are convenience upgrades which were added after the f2p switch, some of them were included in the subscription, some weren't. Those are not "win" at all, and you can get them from your monthly stipend. So, you have access to everything through your stipend (even the expansions, if you sub for 6 months and not spending your stipend on convenience stuff, you can get 1 expansion for free, even 2 if there's a sale.)

edit: not a full list just out of memory,

-Store exclusive stuff (remember, you can get all of them from the stipend, or by farming some TP from the game)

mounts (only cosmetic, performance-wise not better than the in-game 68% steeds), cosmetic items, xp-disabler (very useful, there's way too many xp in game - but it's just convenience), extra bags, extra milestones, hurried traveller, more LI slots, more trait tree slots, more vault space beyond the in-game limit  (all of those are for convenience). More character slots, for the altoholists. Some funny emotes :). Beorning class. Riding trait (raise your riding speed by a whooping 10%, probably that was Picard's "win").

-Store easy access (items which are in-game too, with a low drop rate or via big grind. As above, you can get them from the stipend, if you want)

consumables (have plenty in game too), advancers (xp boost, deed boost - xp boost is useless, xp disabler ftw :) deed boosts can come handy, but they're cheap and not a really rare drop either), LI help (relic pack, relic removal, star-lit, emp. scrolls - not that tough to get them from the game either).  Crafting help (guild advancement, ingredient packs, craft tiers - all of those are useless, nothing's wrong with the crafting's original pace).

That's pretty much it, can't think of anything else... oh, there are lootbox keys too in the second part (dropping in the game too), but no decent folk is touching the lootbox gamble anyways :)

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962

Oh come on...after reading your comments it's clear you are here to derail this thread. So you say you sub to ESO?  What exactly do you get from subbing to ESO?  Well once you answer that you will get your answer to what you get when you sub to Lotro.  The fact you think you would get all the "PAID EXPANSIONS" because you sub is ridiculous, nobody who ever played an MMORPG would honestly think that.  Which if you want my honest opinion proves you are using an alt account in an attempt to derail and bash lotro...

Well you're a little aggressive, aren't you? I don't understand how I'm 'derailing' the thread - the thread is about LOTRO, and my posts were giving my 'initial' opinion of the game. I believe this forum is a place to discuss games, and, dare I say it, to debate also. I'm sorry my initial reaction to a game you love is different to your own.

As to your question regarding the sub to ESO: for my sub I get access to ESO... Not too sure what you expected from me in answer? It's £8.99 a month. The point I was making with my comments regarding subbing to ESO, and spending money on Rift and GW2, is that I'm more than willing to spend money on a game I enjoy. But, after my experience with ArcheAge, I'm also cautious about putting money into a game that doesn't give you the content for that money, and expects constant additional payments just to get along. I don't think I'm being unreasonable in having this expectation.

Nope not being aggressive just giving my opinion based on your comments.  

And  yes you are 110% unreasonable to expect all the paid expansions because you sub.  

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666

Calling lotro pay to win is pretty much ridiculous from any angle. Of course there are some restrictions if you don't pay anything at all, but that's hardly surprising. It's very easy though to gain Turbine points through regular play, especially as you can create alts on each server just to complete deeds if you want to do that. You can use the points to unlock just about everything a sub provides.

The store is mostly cosmetics and convenience. The only things I ever buy from it are universal toolkits (convenience) and experience disablers (as I like to play slowly). The daily gift provides a good selection of items, and the weekly store voucher for a free item gives useful stuff too.

Take the cosmetic gear in this image - all free (obtained easily via the yule festival), including the mount. Plus it looks brilliant I think.

http://i.imgur.com/GQ7l2ax.jpg

Originally posted by Athisar

Take the cosmetic gear in this image - all free (obtained easily via the yule festival), including the mount. Plus it looks brilliant I think.

Yep, the Winter Winds set is pretty cool. It's a tablecloth steed again, but at least not that fugly like the previous ones :) (except that odd saddle)

Was a bit surprised though. A scholar cappy? :) I have only 1 scholar on each server I play (because leveling the craft can be a pain in the butt), but I always give that job to a more scholar-y type (LM or Rk)... my cappies are usually tailors for making the Banners and different outfits for the Heralds.

Nope not being aggressive just giving my opinion based on your comments.  

And  yes you are 110% unreasonable to expect all the paid expansions because you sub.  

I think you've misunderstood what I've written. I haven't said I expect all expansions to be covered under a sub; I fully appreciate some games (not all) sell expansions on top of the subscription fee. What I do expect however is for a subscription to provide the content of the game (minus any paid expansions), and not expect you to fork out additional money to experience that content. So for example with ArcheAge, you can sub and you're still encouraged to buy cash shop items such as labor potions, regrade items just to keep up.  

So what I was getting at with LOTRO, is that from their website it's not entirely clear what it is you're paying for, from the various options on offer, and whether you'll not only be paying for a subscription and expansions, but also for other items just to get along.

Thanks Immodium and po_gg for your replies and clearing up my confusion about what's on offer on the cash store. It seems relatively identical to Rift, which is good in my book.

Originally posted by Po_gg

Yep, the Winter Winds set is pretty cool. It's a tablecloth steed again, but at least not that fugly like the previous ones :) (except that odd saddle)

Was a bit surprised though. A scholar cappy? :) I have only 1 scholar on each server I play (because leveling the craft can be a pain in the butt), but I always give that job to a more scholar-y type (LM or Rk)... my cappies are usually tailors for making the Banners and different outfits for the Heralds.

I like the saddle thing on the steed, plus it's less tableclothy than it could be. And it looks far superior to the generic lvl 20 mounts you can buy for gold.

I'd never had a scholar before. I've got an explorer hunter, so I can use the ore to make weapons on the captain. I'm going to have to level up a metalworker though at some point. My new Beorning is on a different server, and he's an explorer too.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I just never got into it. Partly I don't see how an existing IP can be unique. Sure Tolkien wrote  genera spawning books, but I don't want to live them. Just like I don't play Marvel Heroes, but played City of for years.

But hey, glad lots of folks still like it.

• DestironDestiron Member CommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by Vladric_Hellsinger

I really do wanna want to play this game, it's just I hear all these negative things about it and the F2P restrictions really discourage me to try it. Like I would rather buy all the expansions for 40 bucks right now than to bother with the F2P restrictions. 

You can but all the xpacs right now if you want to.  They are all sold on Steam and on the LOTRO store and you can gave everything right off the bat.

I think you've misunderstood what I've written. I haven't said I expect all expansions to be covered under a sub; I fully appreciate some games (not all) sell expansions on top of the subscription fee. What I do expect however is for a subscription to provide the content of the game (minus any paid expansions), and not expect you to fork out additional money to experience that content. So for example with ArcheAge, you can sub and you're still encouraged to buy cash shop items such as labor potions, regrade items just to keep up.  

So what I was getting at with LOTRO, is that from their website it's not entirely clear what it is you're paying for, from the various options on offer, and whether you'll not only be paying for a subscription and expansions, but also for other items just to get along.

Thanks Immodium and po_gg for your replies and clearing up my confusion about what's on offer on the cash store. It seems relatively identical to Rift, which is good in my book.

The good news is that there are regular huge discounts on the expansions - 75% off, etc. Also, the content in those is permanently available afterwards, you don't need to sub to get anything from them. It's absolutely nothing like ArcheAge - having played that mess as a founder and abandoned it permanently, I can say it for certain.

VIP is mostly convenience. You basically rent the pre-expansion content and have access to everything, and you get some extras on top. It includes 500 TP per month too. If you buy all the quest packs and other included features of VIP you can easily play the game afterwards with no sub with pretty much no loss.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

VIP is mostly convenience. You basically rent the pre-expansion content and have access to everything, and you get some extras on top. It includes 500 TP per month too. If you buy all the quest packs and other included features of VIP you can easily play the game afterwards with no sub with pretty much no loss.

I do my sub annually, so it comes out to a little over 8 bucks a month($99 over 12 months).  Since that comes with 5 bucks a month in TP's, that  makes the VIP sub ridiculously cheap.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I tought most people have forgotten about how good this game actually is for players like me that are into lore and stories...   I think this was the first game that put story so high on their agenda, and set the scene for the newer story based games like ESO, TSW and SWTOR.  And yet still it feels like a unique place..

here is why i keep returning to this game..

- even after 7 years the graphical art style is still convincing

Nope, was bad even for that time. Still physics are even worse.

- the scenery is still the best in any MMO, traveling the lands has so many beatifull sights

Agree.

- Quests and lore, having a story paralel to the big events in the books, makes you really feel part of the tolkien lore

Agree.

- the music system,

Yep.

- Class diversity, all classes feel and play totally different, with unique mechanics for every class. Adding to the replayabillity

Agree. Still physics are terrible. C'mon, jumping at point A, turning around in air, landing BEFORE point A. Horrible. Among other things.

yes, its a leveling game,

One of best parts.

LOTRO is for sure top game I would love to se "reborn" with new graphics engine.

• marcmymarcmy Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I loved this game, truly. I loved the environments, the music, all the little things people talk about. I've been seriously thinking about coming back ever since I stopped after RoR. But I'm a raider. That's what kept me playing. When I saw they were giving up on raids and even dungeons, I was disappointed and couldn't see myself playing anymore. I've since quit and tried other games but none of them have the same feel as LOTRO did. Big Battles do not seem exciting to me, I need something challenging to do with a group of people, not something that can be soloed easily. Everytime I read threads like this, my first thought is "but there's no endgame". The devs have given up on endgame, there was so much potential there. I could try it again, and attempt to deal with it, but I'll eventually get bored and disappointed. I just wish they'd rethink their position towards endgame. If they do that, there's no question it'll be the best MMO once again.

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online, Elite: Dangerous | Recently played: FFXIV, Rift, LoTRO, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Guild Wars 2 | Single player RPGs: Dragon Age Inquisition, Skyrim

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

LOTRO certainly has the worst payment model of any AAA game.

Here is an example:

LOTRO has a lot of content as you level, and games like WoW and EQ2 offer you ways to lock your level so you don't outlevel other content.

LOTRO also offers this option-at a cost of 6 bucks per character you want to do it on, even as a subscriber.  It even takes away an inventory slot to do so.

Good game, shit model.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by syriinx

Here is an example:

LOTRO has a lot of content as you level, and games like WoW and EQ2 offer you ways to lock your level so you don't outlevel other content.

LOTRO also offers this option-at a cost of 6 bucks per character you want to do it on, even as a subscriber.  It even takes away an inventory slot to do so.

Good game, shit model.

No way, the item is account bound, and can be reused...  I certainly can live with that

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Here is an example:

Good game, shit model.

No way, the item is account bound, and can be reused...  I certainly can live with that

BoA until its used, then becomes bound to that character.

Here is an example:

Good game, shit model.

That item is bind on equip, but it's purely a convenience item, it's only 100 TP, and it can be turned on and off for ever. I don't think that's unreasonable or an example of a 'shit model'. It's also regularly on sale at only 50 TP, which is trivial to earn in game.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by marcmy
    I loved this game, truly. I loved the environments, the music, all the little things people talk about. I've been seriously thinking about coming back ever since I stopped after RoR. But I'm a raider. That's what kept me playing. When I saw they were giving up on raids and even dungeons, I was disappointed and couldn't see myself playing anymore. I've since quit and tried other games but none of them have the same feel as LOTRO did. Big Battles do not seem exciting to me, I need something challenging to do with a group of people, not something that can be soloed easily. Everytime I read threads like this, my first thought is "but there's no endgame". The devs have given up on endgame, there was so much potential there. I could try it again, and attempt to deal with it, but I'll eventually get bored and disappointed. I just wish they'd rethink their position towards endgame. If they do that, there's no question it'll be the best MMO once again.

I think it fair to say that it is WarnerBros rather than the devs - a case of funding and how much money it is making etc. That said they did renew the licence.

If that is the case though then maybe if LOTR wins the poll the promotion might lead to more people checking it out and - just maybe - further activity.

(And for those unfamiliar there are a lot of raids in LotR and the game is still pretty active; it is "new end game" that marcmy is lamenting). 

Here is an example:

Good game, shit model.

That item is bind on equip, but it's purely a convenience item, it's only 100 TP, and it can be turned on and off for ever. I don't think that's unreasonable or an example of a 'shit model'. It's also regularly on sale at only 50 TP, which is trivial to earn in game.

I guess its come down in price, was definitely 595 TP last I played.

Point is: they charge their subscribers for a fairly standard feature, and they didnt even take the time to do it right, making it something you have to equip as opposed to a menu option or even an NPC toggle is poor design.  At least they finally lowered it past the point of the monthly stipend, but its something that a subscriber should never have to use their stipend on in the first place.

Point is: they charge their subscribers for a fairly standard feature, and they didnt even take the time to do it right, making it something you have to equip as opposed to a menu option or even an NPC toggle is poor design.  At least they finally lowered it past the point of the monthly stipend, but its something that a subscriber should never have to use their stipend on in the first place.

It's definitely 100 now - I bought one last week for 50.

Not all games offer an experience disabler, and don't forget that once you have this you have it permanently, whether you're subscribing or not.

It should be a buff or something rather than an equipped item, sure, but that's not an issue with the revenue model.

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110

Well I saw this thread and thought I would give the game a go. I've not even got in the game yet and I'm already not impressed - the installer says "game ready to play", but then it loads another window and starts downloading more files. I know it's only a little thing, but already feel lied to...

Also, the payment structure of this game looks like a complete and utter mess. I read earlier in this thread that by subbing you'll have no restrictions. But on the VIP subscription page, there's this small print: "*Helm's Deep™, Riders of Rohan™, Rise of Isengard™, Mines of Moria™ and Siege of Mirkwood™ are not included" - so it seems subbing doesn't unrestrict all content, and looks more like a version of Rift's Patron system.

The wording in the copy puts me off too - for the quad expansion it says "all expansions for xxx", but this doesn't include Helms Deep, so it's not "all expansions" but rather a portion of them.

I know I may be being a bit picky, but after dancing with Trion with ArcheAge I'm very cautious about the games I play. I do not want to play a game that'll be riddled with extra DLC, or parts locked off unless I fork out more and more money on top of a subscription. 

It's free to try, so I'm going to try it, but my initial view of the game is it's a mess.

Having experienced LOTRO from the beta as a founder I have to agree with Lovelocke here, the payment structure in the current iteration is a mess and needs to be simplified.

For a game so rich in immersion some of the silly decisions (( silver presents)) makes it seem more like some kind of lotto experience.

Some servers are low enough population wise to make the Auction House non viable.

This never has been a tremendous success, but to see it mishandled like it is currently being handled is a disservice to the franchise and Turbine both.

I agree, the Turtle pebble doesn't seem like a bright and happy story - but if looking the whole picture, I'm glad that's in the game at all, even with these conditions...

Players (or at least a group of them) begged Turbine for the xp disabler for years, especially after the game got more and more changes which increased the xp. It wasn't a nice move from them that when they added it, it wasn't a checkbox on the options, it was a store item. They said it's not something with a big demand, most folks want to rush and powerlevel and enjoy the fast xp earn, so xp disabling is an added premium convenience thingy.

As Athisar wrote it's frequently on sale luckily, and true, not while ago there was a coupon for it (lowering the price for 50 TP), so it's not a pricey purchase usually. But as a principle I agree with you, it wasn't a friendly move...

(there was the forced emote issue with a similar course, years of begging for it, but in that case the demand, and the affected/involved players wer much more numerous, so -surprise- they were able to put it into the options, as a checkbox...)