Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP on this game

sokikingsokiking Member UncommonPosts: 13
is the pvp fun of ffxiv or its broken ? bcs i heard some say it sucks and not worth doing it.

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    The meta is lacking but it's fairly good otherwise.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    It's fairly terrible but FF games have never been known for PVP.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

What exactly is Meta?  Besides a river.

It is not even in the dictionary.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by sokiking
    is the pvp fun of ffxiv or its broken ? bcs i heard some say it sucks and not worth doing it.

The PvP is fine for a PvE game.  They have an Arena of 4v4 and something called Frontline that is a large BG of 72 players. But is a PvE game, everything is balanced around that, The PvP is just a Bonus. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    It's terrible imo. If you are looking for PvP, try something else.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

to be mechanics and pvp skills are pretty well balanced for team play, and also takes skill more than other smash keyboard MMOs. BUT there arent many players interested in PvP so you will be waiting for long queues before going in, not to mention wolves den the 4v4 is almost dead because pvp marks/1hr are better with frontlines.

having said all the above, the daily roullete will include frontline, so it might be very active.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

What exactly is Meta?  Besides a river.

It is not even in the dictionary.

"Meta" is basically "prevailing winning strategy".  I'm not sure the guy used it right.  It comes from MOBAs.  It basically means "what everyone is doing currently".

Anyway back to the subject the problem is that FF semi-turned based combat doesn't make for exciting PVP.

Regardless I had a bit of fun with frontlines, mostly because I was able to play PVP with FF characters, which is a unique experience.  But compared to any other PVP it's lacking for sure.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet
    It's fairly terrible but FF games have never been known for PVP.

This ^

FFXIV (and all FF games for that matter) were never designed for PvP. Don't let any fanboy tell you different. For a tacked-on PvP system it's not bad, but if you consider yourself someone who actually enjoys PvP and likes PvP games it's pretty dissapointing.

As others mentioned there isn't really a 'META' so to speak. (META refers to the evolving strategy within a game, that is commonly viewed to give the best chance of winning.) What makes meta important is that it shifts, it's not stagnant. When one meta becomes dominant, in a good pvp game another crops up which counters it. FFXIV's combat doesn't have anywhere near that kind of depth.

There's some customization, but it's still basically shoe-horned into the same setup every time. It's based around a trinity system, and heals / damage / CC. I know some people who still enjoy the pvp in this game, but honestly after playing it a decent amount it gets very stale. In a way most decent PvP games don't.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

its pretty fun I think. the 4v4 takes skill i believe and if you got a squad together it would be very tactful. First and foremost i think you have to enjoy the character you are playing. Then the pvp is fun because of that.

The pvp in this game is better than GW2 to me. Wow does pvp in mmorpgs the best. So if you played wow just imagine ff14 pvp like that except scaled down just a little bit. FYI im talking about wolf den 4v4 not frontlines.

• If you wanna play this game for its pvp, don't even bother. FFXIV is the best pve theme park mmo out there for me. But from pvp perspective You can't find anything competitive in FFXIV. Wolves Den could become something competitive. But FFXIV's combat and gameplay didn't let that happen. It's still fun to play but again it is just another casual pvp arena. Other than Wolves Den they released Frontlines pvp. It is a 24vs24vs24 3 side objective based pvp style. It is a lot of fun to do and I love it. But again it is another casual friendly pvp style. Players don't play Wolves Den a lot since Frontlines release. Because Frontlines is a lot enjoyable for pve players and more casual friendly. So it is a lot more popular. If you're a pve player and you want some casual friendly pvp in your game that you can play whenever you want, than FFXIV is your game. But IF you're looking for a WoW style pvp which you can be competitive as much as you want with a huge amount of pve content, well FFXIV is not your cup of tea.