Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Elite: Dangerous: Review in Progress #2 - Space. It's Big.

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last time in this review in parts, I realised that I needed a flight stick. Fortunately I happened to have one buried in the house, left behind by my brother. Maybe I'll invest in something a little more fancy, but it did the job. It finally made me feel like a pilot, like I was competent. I went from viewing each docking with a mix of fear and dread to hotdogging them. From fitfully trying to slam my ship onto the pad and pray to gliding in on pretty fine vectors if I do say so myself.

Read more of Jonathan Doyle's Elite: Dangerous - Review in Progress #2 - Space. It's Big. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• e1eplayere1eplayer Member UncommonPosts: 23
    +1 keep it up
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"Anything you find in space and scoop up counts as stolen so keep that in mind"

That one quote is one reason I will probably pass on this game, too many dumb rules.  That is part of the fun of exploring space and finding things.  How would anyone know it is stolen?  

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

That one quote is one reason I will probably pass on this game, too many dumb rules.  That is part of the fun of exploring space and finding things.  How would anyone know it is stolen?  

^^   Why I won't play this game.   Stupid reason # 10,001.

Ever watch Firefly?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148

I already feel investing in this game was a swing and a miss enough. I guess I really love space sims and it blinded me to the reality of the situation - that this is a disappointment based on the way I play in various ways. Not everyone reads forums, pays attention to the main website.

How exactly is someone supposed to know something floating in space is considered stolen? If anything there should be a claim system in place - it should then be investigated as to how the person got it. To eliminate illegal activities. 

I bought the game and after the decision to not offer refunds with offline mode scrapped - which I might add would have all but eliminated the to negative PR. I already had a bad taste in my mouth. Makes me think they spent more money than they could refund. 

Stupid rules like this only cement my choice never to play as the correct one. Investing in Kickstarter titles is always a gamble anyway, you win some and you lose some. I learned my lesson about crowd-funded space sims and won't be making the same mistake with Star Citizen. I got my free ship from an AMD card purchase and will not be spending 1$ on the game until launch comes.

Spending tons of money on pretend ships. Toward a game that still has a long way to go in development and may not even come out. Is right up there with buying magic beans in my opinion and investing in Enron stock. It does prove fans of space sims are rich. Hey people should spend their money on whatever they want. I won't be joining them in their quest to spend a ton of money on Pixels. 

The lesson here is if you present the right Intellectual property to people. Along with infusing it with a solid idea.  You will become rich even if the idea has not materialized yet.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

All the hype this game is getting from people claiming to have been dying for a game like this. There is a game like it already but it just doesn't have the new eye candy. But its a lot better than ED.  And it gets no props from mmo sites because its a small company with a small wallet.

Originally posted by Troveaholic

I already feel investing in this game was a swing and a miss enough. I guess I really love space sims and it blinded me to the reality of the situation - that this is a disappointment based on the way I play in various ways. Not everyone reads forums, pays attention to the main website.

How exactly is someone supposed to know something floating in space is considered stolen? If anything there should be a claim system in place - it should then be investigated as to how the person got it. To eliminate illegal activities. 

I bought the game and after the decision to not offer refunds with offline mode scrapped - which I might add would have all but eliminated the to negative PR. I already had a bad taste in my mouth. Makes me think they spent more money than they could refund. 

Stupid rules like this only cement my choice never to play as the correct one. Investing in Kickstarter titles is always a gamble anyway, you win some and you lose some. I learned my lesson about crowd-funded space sims and won't be making the same mistake with Star Citizen. I got my free ship from an AMD card purchase and will not be spending 1$ on the game until launch comes.

Spending tons of money of pretend ships. Toward a game that still has a long way to go in development and may not even come out. Is right up there with buying magic beans in my opinion. But it does show fans of space sims are rich. Hey people should spend their money on whatever they want. I won't be joining them in their quest to spend a ton of money on Pixels. 

Man it sure is easy to make excuses not to play. 

Certainly a lot easier than actually learning about the game.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

fair review

and abotu vendetta i going check out 

but i expect limit theory video :P well i wrong 

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Spending tons of money of pretend ships. Toward a game that still has a long way to go in development and may not even come out. Is right up there with buying magic beans in my opinion. But it does show fans of space sims are rich. Hey people should spend their money on whatever they want. I won't be joining them in their quest to spend a ton of money on Pixels. 

It sure is easy to make excuses not to do anything. 

Being bitter about their approach towards the refund process? Is in fact, based on reality I'm afraid.  I learned that completely not an excuse.

I played the beta for months. While it was ok. It also played like Euro Truck Simulator in space and I did not think the combat made things interesting enough.  That is also not an excuse, but the reality of the situation as it appeals to me. 

The game has potential do not get me wrong. I  just do not think that potential has been realized yet. 

Even if I am wrong about the loot system, misinformed or half right. It does not change the problems (my problems at least) above. 

But you have a solid point. Big fan of your posts in general.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Yes.

When I only read a short list over what this game is supposed to be about, it was interesting. Getting the small details is doing whatever it can to kill that interest.

/pass

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Please say you're being sarcastic?

Even now shipments are tagged and destined to be in a specific mode of transport.

Shipments in this game have 'electronic tags' in them, linked to whatever cargohold they were put into.

It makes perfect sense. Little detiails like this make the game amazing

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Simple way to fix this impending mess is to have a timer on objects once they leave a ship's hold or becomes a giblet after a destructed ship. "After 'x' of time in space, object  'y' is now free game"
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    That was an advantage we had, space is mostly made up of blackness with stars, so many stars, so many in that the human mind is incapable of determining repeated content, it really gives the player the illusion that they have traveled some x amount of distance further than they actually have, a space Sim just has that advantage - that's why we went that route.
  • Originally posted by Sarariel

Even now shipments are tagged and destined to be in a specific mode of transport.

Shipments in this game have 'electronic tags' in them, linked to whatever cargohold they were put into.

I like the game, but I agree with Ozmodan. My guess is it's simply a case of another unfinished game mechanic. It's fine if they're marked as stolen if you have an option to return them to the owner or the local law enforcement.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Axxar
    Originally posted by Sarariel

I like the game, but I agree with Ozmodan. My guess is it's simply a case of another unfinished game mechanic. It's fine if they're marked as stolen if you have an option to return them to the owner or the local law enforcement.

You have the option of jumping to a non aligned system and selling the stolen goods on the black market.. or you could use stealth to get past any patrols.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by SunwolfNC
    Simple way to fix this impending mess is to have a timer on objects once they leave a ship's hold or becomes a giblet after a destructed ship. "After 'x' of time in space, object  'y' is now free game"

That would in fact be counter productive, the black market exists for a reason, you can sell stolen items after all, you just don't get full value for them, and of course there is the risk of you getting scanned by the relevant authorities and getting fined for it.

items looted/scooped in space classed as stolen is, working as intended. image

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

>>>

items looted/scooped in space classed as stolen is, working as intended.

>>>

This is a perfectly fine, working as intended game mechanic. Most of these cargo objects have not been floating in space before you killed its owner in the first place. So most of the time you stole from him (and murdered him/her). If he has stolen it first from someone else ... toooooo baaaad.  No honor amongst thieves !

Have fun

Being bitter about their approach towards the refund process? Is in fact, based on reality I'm afraid.  I learned that completely not an excuse.

I played the beta for months. While it was ok. It also played like Euro Truck Simulator in space and I did not think the combat made things interesting enough.  That is also not an excuse, but the reality of the situation as it appeals to me. 

The game has potential do not get me wrong. I  just do not think that potential has been realized yet. 

Even if I am wrong about the loot system, misinformed or half right. It does not change the problems (my problems at least) above. 

Well I think this game, rather than being a fantasy MMO is actually more of a true Simulation MMO.   And simulations generally  have hard rules.   The fun in sims is learning to master the rules and systems.   This game is designed to feel like you own your own space freight business, or whatever,  its not just a cowboys in space type of game.   Same as EvE, in that it is a harsh world with rules that need to be obeyed or you pay the price.

But it seems many people just want games where they can do whatever the #$%^ they want. 

To each their own.   I have to admit I was not highly excited about this game either, but I enjoyed the review and how he brought out the little points that actually really add a lot to the game, and that would go unnoticed  were you just watching a video or reading about the game.  He kinda of sparked my interest again.   And I do love the graphics.

I look forward to further reviews by this player.

PS:  yes the whole solo game thing was a bad mistake unfortunately.   But I think this is just a good example of lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  The potential for a good space game is here.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    space... is big. really big. you just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is...

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

using the default keyboard and mouse settings suck.  I am using the profile that came with the elite dangerous voice pack and things are butter smooth with the keyboard and mouse and I actually prefer it now to joytick.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

You can smuggle stolen stuff into stations or even land at anarchy outposts. The blackmarket is the normal destination for those goods.

You are welcome

• abalabal Member UncommonPosts: 169

Well I think this game, rather than being a fantasy MMO is actually more of a true Simulation MMO.   And simulations generally  have hard rules.   The fun in sims is learning to master the rules and systems.   This game is designed to feel like you own your own space freight business, or whatever,  its not just a cowboys in space type of game.   Same as EvE, in that it is a harsh world with rules that need to be obeyed or you pay the price.

But it seems many people just want games where they can do whatever the #$%^ they want. 

To each their own.   I have to admit I was not highly excited about this game either, but I enjoyed the review and how he brought out the little points that actually really add a lot to the game, and that would go unnoticed  were you just watching a video or reading about the game.  He kinda of sparked my interest again.   And I do love the graphics.

I look forward to further reviews by this player.

PS:  yes the whole solo game thing was a bad mistake unfortunately.   But I think this is just a good example of lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  The potential for a good space game is here.

The game has solo play, you select the way you want to play each time you login, you can even jump from solo to open play whenever you want. It was offline play that was cut off.

• BeerGnomeBeerGnome Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by cura

Maybe they check if you have invoice for the stuff? Its not that illogical.

The game is very basic for now but combat is very fun and engaging, people are already influencing the world, inciting wars in some systems. There is hope devs will refine the game into something great.

This is what caught my eye... if the game can build and expand on this... wow!  such potential!