Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have to be a flight sim pro to have fun in this game?

kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I dont mind challenge, but some reviews give the idea that flying in elite is comparable to flying a real 747 through giant hoops of fire while sitting on a nest full of african killer bee's and singing star spangled banner in hungarian.

Can I jump in game as flight sim noob and still have fun?

Comments

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

I've jumped into it with a rather cheap joystick and no real experience from any other flight sim

The only real challenging thing I've came across so far is the concept of flying with flight assist off to assist in rolls, but other than that, I've been doing pretty decent and been having great fun (Although I do use gimbaled guns for now haha, aiming isn't top notch yet)

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

well i play with keyboard and mouse and find all combat prety easy 

And about fun depend whats you consider fun

i example dont like much explore 

but love trade/mining to chill moments 

and go bit combat if feeling boring 

but i can say start is slowing util you get one ship enough to see you money increase

another thing if you like do mission you see you actions reflect in station i find prety cool 

to me its not bad or good , more time sink 

Sit and chilling around with Music and fly around and do "repetitve stuffs"

Yea i mean grind because increase pilot rank and reputation prety hard; 

• HarkynHarkyn Member Posts: 67

It's hard to fly / land for about 30 min. to a couple of hours depending on how fast you learn games, then you get the hang of it and it's as easy to play as every other game.

I enjoyed playing this, I've only played for maybe 15 hours total since launch, but it has been good fun.

The hardest part was learning the keybindings, but that didn't take too long either tbh.

I have since installed voice attack, and ASTRA voicepack, you can control pretty much everything with voice commands.

There's like 1000+ voice commands because you can ask ASTRA what a star is or what a black hole is etc. they also added in all the trade materials and ships, you can ask ASTRA what is copper all with commands like "what is x" or "tell me about x", it also makes space less lonely to talk to her, hehe.

Here are some of the voice commands that you'll probably use the most should you decide to get it.

Deploy landing gear

Retract landing gear

Deploy weapons

Retract weapons

Next fire group

Previous fire group

Scoop down

Scoop up

Boost

Engage super cruise

Engage jump drive

power to engines

power to systems

power to weapons

There's many many more.

This is just a random video I found of someone using ASTRA, check it out if you have 5 min. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4QkltClArw

edit: I don't own voice attack or astra pack, I'm not trying to sell it lol, you can play just fine without.

I'm a gamer and I play games, not virtual vending machines.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Hah...

Yea.. I broke down and bought a joystick for this game the other day.

It's not too rough.  I highly recommend watching the YouTube tutorials and read the tutorial on the E:D forums.  That scribd pdf in particular is a wealth of information.

Some people have issues with docking.  As long as you do things in a "checklist" I don't have issues.  For example,

Get within 7km, request dock.

Fly into the dock (depending on angle reduce speed)

Drop landing gear.  Look for my pad number.

Line up and drop while I fly towards.  Right as I get over, enter hover and stop.

Make sure I'm over the circle, and dock. 

Every time.  Sometimes a ship gets in my way and makes it less smooth but for the most part.

I also was in a system where I was jumping 5-10 minutes to a nav beacon to hunt... my new system is ~1-2 minutes between them.   

Whether or not this'll be a long term thing is yet to be determined but so far i'm having fun.

P.S.  I use the voice/astra (I bought them).  They are somewhat helpful.  Specifically in combat so I can switch my energy loadout without taking my hands off the joystick.  The rest of the commands, haven't been so useful yet.

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

As a noob? yes. As a noob disinterested in a space flight simulator with complex controls? No.

the game leans further toward "space flight sim" than many space games (the x games, freelancer, eve, uh... etc) 

that said keyboard and mouse work just fine with some hotkey memorization.

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I would also recommend reading the manual. Even after five hours of play and an hour of YouTube footage I still learned about five important things reading The manual.