Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E-sports should be in the Olympics.

2»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    LOL at people who think playing video games is a sport and that they are "athletes" because of it.
  • Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

The Nerd Olympics, maybe.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by d_20

There are already enough stupid activities in the Olympics. If Pardo said that, he's just thinking about $$$ and all the corporate sponsorship and advertising. You can never have enough!

Just no.

But I wouldn't be surprised by anything in the world these days.

I agree with this. Its just a stupid idea for game companies to get more money in ads.  Having something in the Olympics where your sitting on your arse in front of a screen with a controller is so lame. The Olympics is already turned into crap with letting pro Athletes in the games.

Why is that a problem? Isn't the Olympics about being really good? Not letting the pros to compete is like saying "well, they are too good, let's forget about being good ... but make it about being mediocre".

I am starting to believe it is a problem.

It used to be about the everyday man or woman and the beauty of sport.  The amateur athlete who devoted themselves completely to the Olympic ideal.

Now it is about a bunch of multi-millionaires taking a  2 week vacation to go beat up on some some poor folk who are just happy to be competing, so they can add a gold medal to their already massive collection of trophies.

Somehow it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and it certainly does not make for a level playing field IMO.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Not before Dominoes.. it's been around longer and you can award points for style so we can have judges and scandals... after that, maybe e-sports.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ZhjrisZhjris Member UncommonPosts: 20

I really hate the term E-sport since it isn't in any way, shape, or form a sport. E-Competition maybe, but a sport; hardly. The Olympics have always been about physical attributes and promotion, not some cheeto eater, clicking a mouse button rapidly while their thighs go numb from diabetes. Watching e-sports is pretty dumb in itself and I hardly partake in it. Since my motto for physical sports is I'd rather play it than watch it(Except for MMA.)

If any "game" were to make it to the Olympics than chess should be the exception, even though it doesn't require much physical peakness.

Also letting pro athletes into the Olympics isn't that big of a deal breaking since most Olmpyians go on to be pro themselves later on; not to mention the Olympics is about the best of each nation competing against each other for bragging rights. Not allowing a player to compete because they get paid to be good at that particular sport is just denying the purpose of the event.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Interesting that chess is a recognized sport by the ioc.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Now it is about a bunch of multi-millionaires taking a  2 week vacation to go beat up on some some poor folk who are just happy to be competing, so they can add a gold medal to their already massive collection of trophies.

What is the problem if the said millionaire was training every day for years before that two week vacation?

You don't think pro athletes get there by just having parties, and vacations, do you?

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

Just in case you didn't know the no pro athletes thing in the Olympics is not a rule for the entire Olympics.  Its just a rule that America puts on its only athletes.  The rest of the worlds countries puts their professionals in the Olympics all the time.

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    e-sports has no place in the olympics. 
  • Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Soraksis

Just in case you didn't know the no pro athletes thing in the Olympics is not a rule for the entire Olympics.  Its just a rule that America puts on its only athletes.  The rest of the worlds countries puts their professionals in the Olympics all the time.

So does America. Hockey, Basketball.....

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Esport is just too wide of area, just like any other game out there..  What computer game would you use?  Guitar Hero?  Civ 5?  World of Warcraft?  Simcity?  Call of Duty?  Age of Empires?  etc etc.. The list could go on and on.  It would be like saying playing board games should be an Olympic event..  Monopoly?  Candyland? Sorry? 

Lets make playing cards an Olympic event as well..  NO POKER, but it should be Euchre or Spaces.. wait too many people suck as those games but would rather play Bridge or Rummy, which I don't want to play..  get the idea?

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Video games are a niche...

Why would it need to be in the Olympics?

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

What is the problem if the said millionaire was training every day for years before that two week vacation?

You don't think pro athletes get there by just having parties, and vacations, do you?

I can't speak for him but I certainly don't think that. As for the problem with it I've already described it and he touched on it in the part of his post that you omitted.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by d_20

There are already enough stupid activities in the Olympics. If Pardo said that, he's just thinking about $$$ and all the corporate sponsorship and advertising. You can never have enough!

Just no.

But I wouldn't be surprised by anything in the world these days.

I agree with this. Its just a stupid idea for game companies to get more money in ads.  Having something in the Olympics where your sitting on your arse in front of a screen with a controller is so lame. The Olympics is already turned into crap with letting pro Athletes in the games.

Why is that a problem? Isn't the Olympics about being really good? Not letting the pros to compete is like saying "well, they are too good, let's forget about being good ... but make it about being mediocre".

I am starting to believe it is a problem.

It used to be about the everyday man or woman and the beauty of sport.  The amateur athlete who devoted themselves completely to the Olympic ideal.

Somehow it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and it certainly does not make for a level playing field IMO.

The only part that of the olympics that is close to that is basketball, that I can think of offhand.  That is becoming more global every year though.  Hockey somewhat, but that's not as popular. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

MMA should be an Olympic sport but video games? haha i don't think so.....

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Just having amateurs compete was not very realistic imo.

Say i'm training 6-8 hrs a day for a sport. I'm one of the best on the world. Someone wants to pay mefor what I'm already doing anyway and it relieves all the stress about having to work and train. But you can no longer compete in the Olympics? The event that really determines the ab best?

You won't get an accurate view of who the best is if you dont let the best compete

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

They are kicking wrestling out of the Olympics.  Wrestling!  One of the foundation sports of the Olympics back in the Greek origin times.   If they can't keep wrestling in, I'm not interested in any other sports or 'sports' being added.  

Electronics stuff should build their own version, if they really feel the urge.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    They shouldn't have them in the normal olympics but the E-Olympics sure. Just as long as it's not in the regular olympics. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Just having amateurs compete was not very realistic imo.

Say i'm training 6-8 hrs a day for a sport. I'm one of the best on the world. Someone wants to pay mefor what I'm already doing anyway and it relieves all the stress about having to work and train. But you can no longer compete in the Olympics? The event that really determines the ab best?

You won't get an accurate view of who the best is if you dont let the best compete

If everyone was sponsored so they had the same training equipment and didn't have to worry about working or everyone wasn't than it'd be fair but fairness is just half of the issue. People should want to do it for the love of the sport, the love of the sport shouldn't be tainted with the reward of huge amounts of money. Alot of amateurs saved up, put aside their jobs for awhile and trained full time in the lead up to the games but they were doing it to be the best first and foremost. It was pure (they just had a drive to compete for it's own sake) they didn't have added reasons of wanting to make an extremely lucrative livelihood out of it. Frankly the older records mean more to me than they do now.