Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a pve game

PixelPandaPixelPanda Member Posts: 35

Hello,

I just want to make a long story short, I want to try out a new game, main focus should be pve. I like dungeons and gear farming as well as grinding for tokens, money, vanity stuff or mounts. 

I really dont care for pvp at all. Graphics should at least be good up to stunning. 

There should at least be one class with the option to dual wield because thats how I roll ;-)

The game will replace wow because I played it so long, I am sick of it.

Hope you can recommend me something nice. 

Comments

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

I would say try:

Rift

EQ2

Lotro

Swtor

Some of the games do have pvp but it is not the main focus.

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189

Guild Wars 2

Elder Scrolls Online

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Secret World - best stories and different mission types ever
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I'd say AoC. There's a separate pvp server, so you can skip that entirely if picking the PvE one. It has great dungeons, and the whole endgame in Khitai is about  gear farming as well as grinding for tokens, money, vanity stuff or mounts. :) you need to subscribe for that though (as f2p you can only access it via weekly passes), but coming from wow I guess you don't have any problem with paying a sub fee.

Combat is much more fun than in a "regular" mmo, and most melee classes can dual-wield of course. Dual-wield fatalities maybe the most gruesome :)

Graphics is still awesome, though the game is 6 years old.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Star War: The Old Rrepublic : You can dual wield guns or blades! (Depending on which class catches your eye) It also definitely meets your criteria, as it's a rather beautiful looking game. The game has a strong PvE focus with tons of excellent fully voiced storylines. PvP's optional through Warzones (battlegrounds for you WoW players ^^).

The Secret World: Dual wield guns or claws, just like SWTOR above it has a strong PvE focus, a great storyline with incredible voice acting and optional PvP. It's not as pretty as the above game though.

Guild Wars 2: A great PvE experience, you can dual wield just about anything you want and it's easy on the eyes as well.

ESO: Very much like the ones above, though I haven't played it enough to go into detail. (So it's based on my limited experience) Just like in GW2 you have plenty of choice when it comes to dual wielding.

TERA: A very pretty game (especially when it comes to female eyecandy :P), which also has plenty of PvE. Dual wielding is limited to Warriors IIRC.

FFXIV: Not much personal experience with it, but it seems like a good choice for PvE. It also looks pretty good (provided you don't dislike the anime approach and some of the silly looking races, but TERA has that as well).

As you can see, plenty of choice!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

easy: ESO or gw2.

• PixelPandaPixelPanda Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to provide some feedback.
    First, I am not into sci-fi so that kicks swtor off the list.
    I never liked elderscrolls lore and world so teso is off too.
    Secret world has a terrible terrible combat system and gw2 has no holy trinity so both are not for me.
    Eq2, lotro, rift, aoc, all graphicly more or less bland, soulless or just too old.

That leaves me with tera and final fantasy, both look good and seem to have some fluent gameplay and solid pve.
    Any thoughts on these games, exspecially tera?
    Any other siggestions?
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Po_gg

I'd say AoC. There's a separate pvp server, so you can skip that entirely if picking the PvE one. It has great dungeons, and the whole endgame in Khitai is about  gear farming as well as grinding for tokens, money, vanity stuff or mounts. :) you need to subscribe for that though (as f2p you can only access it via weekly passes), but coming from wow I guess you don't have any problem with paying a sub fee.

Combat is much more fun than in a "regular" mmo, and most melee classes can dual-wield of course. Dual-wield fatalities maybe the most gruesome :)

Graphics is still awesome, though the game is 6 years old.

+1 for Age of Conan

• kutervkuterv Member Posts: 28

Not gw2 for sure, cause there is no content....

Wow and rift guess is the best choice out there.

Swtor (not bad but in game shop quite damn and combat feels nohow , D&D ( but it is pretty dead now ), Secret world is a nice game in terms of story telling all other aspects sucks pretty much.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by PixelPanda
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to provide some feedback.
    First, I am not into sci-fi so that kicks swtor off the list.
    I never liked elderscrolls lore and world so teso is off too.
    Secret world has a terrible terrible combat system and gw2 has no holy trinity so both are not for me.
    Eq2, lotro, rift, aoc, all graphicly more or less bland, soulless or just too old.

That leaves me with tera and final fantasy, both look good and seem to have some fluent gameplay and solid pve.
    Any thoughts on these games, exspecially tera?
    Any other siggestions?

Well, it's pretty much action combat vs classic MMO gameplay at this point then, if that helps you to decide.

TERA does have the advantage of being free, so you could instantly download and try it to see if it's your thing or not.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TERA is f2p. So there's nothing that stops you from trying it out.

FFXIV is p2p. But it have a free trial so you can try it out for 14 days (with restrictions ofc). http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/en/

Edit: I played TERA during its Beta so dunno how it's like now. But I liked it back then. "Action based" combat where you had to position yourself to land a strike and you had to dodge enemy attacks. You could take down enemies much higher then you by positioning and dodging.

I play FFXIV at the moment and I like it. Alot of people say the combat is slow compared to other games and I can understand them. But personally I dont feel it and I think the combat is just fine.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Star Trek Online - free, fairly generous for earning pay currency

Lots of ships - mounts, some ground combat, good rewards from reputation grinds, main focus is pve nowadays - nice zone wide grind events, great gear system, space combat looks much better than ground combat.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164

Guild Wars II is good, pvp has its own areas, so you can avoid that.

Only problem is, occasionally, they game will conspire against you and you will get killed by one hit. If you can get past this, try it!

• PixelPandaPixelPanda Member Posts: 35
    My only problem with tera is that I am from germany, so if I want to play with other germans I would have to deal with gameforge as Publisher and I dont know if that would be worth it...
  • DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I would then recommend Final Fantasy XIV over TERA. Ways many more things to do, and community is active.