Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this another Credit Card game ?

rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Just wonder ...

Playing ArcheAge atm and all they want is my money.

Now here, in SC a new 2500.-$ ship is announced.

It has "modules" to play.

I better dont step into this game, except you gimme some reasons.

Can i fully play it with max 20.-€ subscribtion a month ?

Shoot!

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Originally posted by rawfox

Just wonder ...

Shoot!

You can play for as low as 30 $ now  (it even was down to 20 $ this month at one point).

It won't have a monthly subscription (kinda like Guild Wars).

You don't have to buy any pledge package greater than that unless you want to support this crowdfunding project on principle (changing the way the gaming industry currently works along the way). That big ship you heard about ... thats a ship for a whole guild/organisation - recommended crew: 25 (players).

EVERYTHING will be available in game for in game money. NOTHING will ONLY be available for real-world money ... thats one of the Star Citizen design principles.

So IMHO its not a "credit card game".

Have fun

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    At the moment it's credit card alpha with most of the features missing. It's not impossible that they would change the game and allow for other means of being successful than credit card, but if I were you I wouldn't count on it. Just wait and see, or if you buy now know that you're buying access to alpha where the one who's best credit card user will likely win.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Just wonder ...

Shoot!

If you don't have at least 1 $2500 ship, you are not going to be competitive. I suggest you buy at least 3 to start, just so you are not behind the curve.

(If $2500 ships are your concern... this game is not for you, the people who will enjoy playing it will be concerned about the gameplay, not the rich kids toys)

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by DMKano

Just wonder ...

Shoot!

P2P games are the only true CC games - as without a credit card (or another type of online payment) you can't even play them for 1 second. And on top of paying a monthly fee you also have to buy the game for usually $60 upfront.

F2P games might want you to pay for caah shop items - but you don't ever have to give them a single cent and there is zero upront cost.

So which ones are really CC games?

P2P allow players to play in a "fair" environment. Its usually 15$ / month, which is pretty cheap for everyone (less than seeing one movie at a theater. Less than eating out once. etc). Everyone has equal opportunity, inside the game.

F2P throw "fair playing field" out of the window when they put 30$ backers against people who spent literally thousands of dollar on a game. 

let that sink in. People bought ships for 1000$ for a game that is not even released. Which one is the CC game ?

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Your question can't be answered until the game launches and we see what the real game mechanics look like.  Some people will spout out a number that they figured out in beta for equivalent cash shop dollars per hour you can earn but that's meaningless at this point because it's a dynamic that will be adjusted as time moves on.  As a example MWO adjusted that dynamic in the open beta launch day patch by something like 10 times making the amount of work to earn new mechs vs buying them in the cash shop significantly higher than people had come to expect.  It completely changed the advantage of gold mechs and made the F2P experience much less enjoyable than it had been in closed beta giving people who spend money in the cash shop a big advantage over those who don't.

I am trying to reserve judgement on this game until it launches and we see where the cash shop sits.  Until than I'm just watching from the sidelines and wondering if they have the talent to deliver a project with near endless funding and ever increasing scope and promises. 

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I don't know much about this game , but I hate it already. I'm just going to keep it that way.
  • Dampiel_szDampiel_sz Member UncommonPosts: 73

Even if you were to buy the 30$ Aurora package and get into the game, you will still have an enjoyable experience! Keep in mind that every ship is obtainable in game with in game currency, so if you work hard and trade smart, you too can have that 2500$ ship, you just wont have it right away.

Another thing i see people misbelieving is that the 2500$ ship will just be best and they will be able to "pew pew noobs all day long". This is not the case as every ship has its advantages and disadvantages, as well as roles. Larger ships with class 7-10 weapon hardpoints are slow, and do not track small agile ships well, while smaller ships are limited in weaponry that packs a punch and do not have large cargo capacity for hauling. You will be able to do alot of things in Star Citizen once the persistant universe comes out, and there is a ship for every function.

Originally posted by Battlerock
    I don't know much about this game , but I hate it already.

Why ?

Have fun

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

LMAO they have raised close to 70 million and people are still trying to defend them wanting to charge more. 

Theyre basically making the game for free, and I dont think they have any obligations of paying back any 'investors' with real life cash.

Theyre selling ships and whatever and claiming that is helping them develop this uber awesome game.

I have read a little here and there about it and this has scam written all over it.

2+ years, 70 million and their still throwing up ships that get more and more expensive as they 'invent' them. Yet for themoney they have made they should have 5 universes to put them in, they dont even have one.

As this is a non-subscription game maybe - just maybe ;-) - they plan to use some of the money to run the servers and continue to evolve the game over the next years.

Have fun

• NuhaineNuhaine Member UncommonPosts: 58

Even though Star Citizen isn't my cup of tea (since my cup of tea is too old and moldy to run such a game) I want to point out that this game is not a blatant cash grab. 70 Million is enough to make a 'decent' cookie-cutter MMO in today's current market, such as Rift. If  you want to make a new cookie sheet like Star Citizen is doing, expect to pay even more. A game like World of Warcraft, that many prey upon for its dated graphics and industry-setting design cost 200 Million in a time when it was actually a little cheaper and less competitive, with reputable games under their belt like Diablo and Warcraft 3 to draw in fans. If you want to see a really good game nowadays, expect to see a number of around 150 million (and that's if they are spending the money wisely!) for the polish, content, and marketing needed to succeed in a competitive industry.

So if you want this game to succeed, and believe in what they have done so far - throw your money at them. The more the merrier. I don't know too much about Star Citizen, so I'll leave it up to you to decide if you believe they can deliver. The fact that they are putting the game out in 'modules'  and progressively more expensive cash shop ships shows they ARE putting the money towards the game and trying to entice more investors and big spenders so they can make this game into something not just decent, but 'good'. That's just my opinion though.

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148

Well I bought a new AMD card and I got a free ship with it. 60 dollars normally. I had my suspicions about this game, something did not feel right. Now I can play the game for free and see for myself. You could always just buy the AMD coupon that allows this on ebay.

I mean I do understand people are getting a early advantage dropping tons of money now on ships you can earn in time in game. So it is not pay to win but it is pay to win at launch and that cannot be debated. But how much time to grind those ships? Time is probably the most precious thing you have even more money. Six months of playing in game or more? Forget that, I'm not in my high school or college years anymore.

Even if something was announced supposedly set it stone? "It will take this much time to earn (insert ship here)."

This game may not be out for two years and things change. So in my opinion this is a credit card to save time game.

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by Dampiel_sz

Even if you were to buy the 30$ Aurora package and get into the game, you will still have an enjoyable experience! Keep in mind that every ship is obtainable in game with in game currency, so if you work hard and trade smart, you too can have that 2500$ ship, you just wont have it right away.

Another thing i see people misbelieving is that the 2500$ ship will just be best and they will be able to "pew pew noobs all day long". This is not the case as every ship has its advantages and disadvantages, as well as roles. Larger ships with class 7-10 weapon hardpoints are slow, and do not track small agile ships well, while smaller ships are limited in weaponry that packs a punch and do not have large cargo capacity for hauling. You will be able to do alot of things in Star Citizen once the persistant universe comes out, and there is a ship for every function.

So what you are saying is my Toyota Corolla is just as good as a Lamborghini Veneno in different ways? That the Lamborghini may be faster but the jokes on them my Toyota has cheaper insurance and has a higher safety rating.

Is this sales pitch what makes people feel extra special buying the cheaper ships?

Originally posted by Troveaholic

So what you are saying is my Toyota Corolla is just as good as a Lamborghini Veneno in different ways? That the Lamborghini may be faster but the jokes on them my Toyota has cheaper insurance and has a higher safety rating.

Is this sales pitch what makes people feel extra special buying the cheaper ships?

He is saying that one ship is the equivalent of a VW Sprinter  (dependable small cargo hauling vehicle), one is a Landrover (excellent offroader), one is a Ferrari F40 (excelllent speed, lousy suspension), one is a Suzuki Swift (small urban vehicle), one is a Ford Galaxy  (big easily reconfigurable family van) and yet another one is a  Belaz 75710 Ore Hauler.

Each is good in its own area and pretty much sucks in other areas.

One of them might be much more expensive than the other one (e.g. the 5 million bucks for the Belaz), but it does not mean that the Belaz will win you any races or is any good for hauling your family around.

Bigger does not equal better in Star Citizen ... it just means that the ship has another role to fulfill.

Have fun

Well I bought a new AMD card and I got a free ship with it. 60 dollars normally. I had my suspicions about this game, something did not feel right. Now I can play the game for free and see for myself. You could always just buy the AMD coupon that allows this on ebay.

I mean I do understand people are getting a early advantage dropping tons of money now on ships you can earn in time in game. So it is not pay to win but it is pay to win at launch and that cannot be debated. But how much time to grind those ships? Time is probably the most precious thing you have even more money. Six months of playing in game or more? Forget that, I'm not in my high school or college years anymore.

Even if something was announced supposedly set it stone? "It will take this much time to earn (insert ship here)."

This game may not be out for two years and things change. So in my opinion this is a credit card to save time game.

Hello Troveaholic,

I assume you got a Mustang Omega AMD racer with a VERY cool red-black racer ship skin :-)

Us backers have made some calculations based on official statements ... those ships one gets in pledge packages for a few hundred dollars .... one can get them in game for in game money after launch for a very modest amount of playtime.
    No one forces anyone to give more than one wants/can afford and supporting the project with a 30 $ starter pledge is perfectly fine if someone likes the idea of a crowdfunded community supported project like Star Citizen as a new way for the gaming industry.

A second starter ship ... takes approx. 7 hours of non hardcore gameplay (that means:  not 100 % money earning missions 100 % of the time)

A single seater ship .. even the high end ones .... 20-30 hours of such gameplay

A medium sized multi-crew ship like the Constellation ..... 60 hours of non-hardcore gameplay    ...

A big multi-crew ship for organisations/guilds .... for the recommended number of players manning such a ship (=25) ... takes approx. 55 hours of such gameplay for every participating player to finance such a e.g. destroyer hull.

If you go for hardcore missioning, you could get them faster. Consider also that those backers with more than one ship still can fly only one ship at a time. And its a pilot skill based game. Even the best ship with the best equipment won't help if the pilot sucks. With 90 % of the economy being NPC based, early backers cannot capture the market in the early days of the game- so no danger there.

Some people have mentioned that the calculations above don't mean much as this ratio can change a lot until launch. They cite other games like Mechwarrior Online where such ratios have changed a lot at launch.  I DO play MWO. I know Piranha Games. And I consider them less trustworthy IMHO and more into money grabbing than CIG. So personally i do NOT expect such a massive change to happen in Star Citizen as has happened in  MWO, because the nature of the company and the project (Star Citizen being crowdfunded based on voluntary contributions, with NO external investors screaming for return-of-investment-NOW!!) is different.

Have fun

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

Originally posted by Nuhaine

Even though Star Citizen isn't my cup of tea (since my cup of tea is too old and moldy to run such a game) I want to point out that this game is not a blatant cash grab. 70 Million is enough to make a 'decent' cookie-cutter MMO in today's current market, such as Rift. If  you want to make a new cookie sheet like Star Citizen is doing, expect to pay even more. A game like World of Warcraft, that many prey upon for its dated graphics and industry-setting design cost 200 Million in a time when it was actually a little cheaper and less competitive, with reputable games under their belt like Diablo and Warcraft 3 to draw in fans. If you want to see a really good game nowadays, expect to see a number of around 150 million (and that's if they are spending the money wisely!) for the polish, content, and marketing needed to succeed in a competitive industry.

So if you want this game to succeed, and believe in what they have done so far - throw your money at them. The more the merrier. I don't know too much about Star Citizen, so I'll leave it up to you to decide if you believe they can deliver. The fact that they are putting the game out in 'modules'  and progressively more expensive cash shop ships shows they ARE putting the money towards the game and trying to entice more investors and big spenders so they can make this game into something not just decent, but 'good'. That's just my opinion though.

Wow cost between 63-100 million (depending on what website you read) so the 200 million is slightly off. The fact that they keep putting out more and more expensive cash shop ships should throw up some red flags. If they have to keep putting up more ships you have to wonder how quickly they are burning through resources. How long can they stay afloat if the income stopped coming in?

Originally posted by Erillion

Hello Troveaholic,

I assume you got a Mustang Omega AMD racer with a VERY cool red-black racer ship skin :-)

Us backers have made some calculations based on official statements ... those ships one gets in pledge packages for a few hundred dollars .... one can get them in game for in game money after launch for a very modest amount of playtime.
    No one forces anyone to give more than one wants/can afford and supporting the project with a 30 $ starter pledge is perfectly fine if someone likes the idea of a crowdfunded community supported project like Star Citizen as a new way for the gaming industry.

A second starter ship ... takes approx. 7 hours of non hardcore gameplay (that means:  not 100 % money earning missions 100 % of the time)

A single seater ship .. even the high end ones .... 20-30 hours of such gameplay

A medium sized multi-crew ship like the Constellation ..... 60 hours of non-hardcore gameplay    ...

A big multi-crew ship for organisations/guilds .... for the recommended number of players manning such a ship (=25) ... takes approx. 55 hours of such gameplay for every participating player to finance such a e.g. destroyer hull.

If you go for hardcore missioning, you could get them faster. Consider also that those backers with more than one ship still can fly only one ship at a time. And its a pilot skill based game. Even the best ship with the best equipment won't help if the pilot sucks. With 90 % of the economy being NPC based, early backers cannot capture the market in the early days of the game- so no danger there.

Some people have mentioned that the calculations above don't mean much as this ratio can change a lot until launch. They cite other games like Mechwarrior Online where such ratios have changed a lot at launch.  I DO play MWO. I know Piranha Games. And I consider them less trustworthy IMHO and more into money grabbing than CIG. So personally i do NOT expect such a massive change to happen in Star Citizen as has happened in  MWO, because the nature of the company and the project (Star Citizen being crowdfunded based on voluntary contributions, with NO external investors screaming for return-of-investment-NOW!!) is different.

Have fun

You are making calculations off of something that isn't released yet. Official statements can change rather easily. A single starter ship could take 20-30 hours of gameplay but it could also take 60 hours, or it could take 15 hours. At this point it is all speculation since the game isn't actually released. Until I see a finished product my money will be staying in my wallet and I hope people are stocking up on their fire shields because there will be a lot of disappointed people when the game releases based on the amount of hype flying around.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    We'll see when it's out. Right now they're selling ships because they can and people are willingly buying them. We won't know how they monetize until it's officially released. What they say to the public and what they're thinking are not necessarily the same thing, and they may have more lucrative plans in mind post launch or not. Speculating is a bit silly.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

I want to know what the money goes to. We have heard crazy numbers thrown out for games in the past. 40 Million (10 years ago) for WoW 200 million for ESO, Lotro 50-75 mil, Swotor 100mil.

Those triple digit ones were all voiced over and had a huge budget just for that, so that should put most of that in context for people.

Most every game that has been made up until ESO (and we dont know for sure it actually did cost 200 million total budget) was 100 million or less.

So why do people have this idea it costs all that much? I would say advertising and other 'useless' perks make up 40% of the budget.

So a full on DEVELOPMENTAL budget of 50 million SHOULD make a pretty decent if not very good game. At least all the generic MMO stuff one would expect, quests, landscape (game world), NPCs, mobs,  mounts, aromors, and probably even a halfway decent housing and RP system of some sort (fishing, music).

Is always funny seeing these big numbers thrown around like theyre gospel and theyre justified.

When this game started out they would have done cartwheels for 30 million and claimed they could make the best game ever for that. Now two years later theyre goal is 4 times that amount? They have 2.5 times that amount and having nothing to show but some fancy Jpegs and a flght simulator you could make for a couple hundred grand.

When youre making a game without investors and on other peoples money with simple word of mouth advertising the price tag should drop precipitously. But this game for some reason keeps going up and up and up.

Now we assume they havent spent all the money, but what are they doing with what they have? Thats a bigger question because no one anywhere can claim that after two years and all the money they have raised they havent produced shit and certainly nothing remotely resembling an MMO.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Archeage = Production financed by Investors holding shares, demanding PROFIT in return

Star Citizen = Production financed by FANS giving money for free, demanding only A GAME and CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT in return

what the /%&§ is so hard to understand about that concept?

dammit.

Get a 30$ game package and join the ride or don´t, just shut up about what other people contribute to the project and stop whining about what they may receive as pledge rewards, if they decide to give more than others.

You can go play another space sim that makes greedy shareholders happy looking for profits instead, if you enjoy that more.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Archeage = Production financed by Investors holding shares, demanding PROFIT in return

Star Citizen = Production financed by FANS giving money for free, demanding only a game and continued development in return

dammit.

Get a 30$ game package and join the ride or don´t, just shut up and stop whining about what other people contribute to the project and what they may receive as pledge rewards, if they decide to give more than others.

You can go play another space sim that makes greedy shareholders happy looking for profits instead, if you enjoy that more.

This is coming from crowd funding though, can't they just turn around and not release a game and retire with everyones' money? (70 million in two years if I read correctly)?

Whereas Archeage was at least in a playable Alpha before charging people.

I don't follow star citizen so maybe it is also in a playable state, not sure. Just curious if using Crowd funding they are legally obliged to do anything with the money.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

Star Citizen = Production financed by FANS giving money for free, demanding only a game and continued development in return

dammit.

Get a 30$ game package and join the ride or don´t, just shut up and stop whining about what other people contribute to the project and what they may receive as pledge rewards, if they decide to give more than others.

This is coming from crowd funding though, can't they just turn around and not release a game and retire with everyones' money? (70 million in two years if I read correctly)?

Yes. Yes, exactly. Chris Roberts will fire all 300 people working on the game tomorrow, shut down the server farm of the Arena Commander 1.0 alpha module which I´m currently playing, he´ll put the remaining budget in a bag and flee to Guatemala to buy a Hacienda, because being on an international most wanted list and being cursed by 700,000 backers is sure a lot more fun and exciting than making games.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Just wonder ...

Shoot!

You can play for as low as 30 $ now  (it even was down to 20 $ this month at one point).

It won't have a monthly subscription (kinda like Guild Wars).

You don't have to buy any pledge package greater than that unless you want to support this crowdfunding project on principle (changing the way the gaming industry currently works along the way). That big ship you heard about ... thats a ship for a whole guild/organisation - recommended crew: 25 (players).

EVERYTHING will be available in game for in game money. NOTHING will ONLY be available for real-world money ... thats one of the Star Citizen design principles.

So IMHO its not a "credit card game".

Have fun

Thanks for the infos.

I got me a starterpack, it just looks too awesome :p

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    I don't know much about this game , but I hate it already. I'm just going to keep it that way.

game is ok, it have to be great  MP space sim with FPS on ground if care for it (include cash shop what is today normal and business model for taking money ,just lets accept reality)

but majority of fanboyz are very sick,prolly they spend too much money on pixels ,they should ask for medical help !

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

dammit.

Yes. Yes, exactly. Chris Roberts will fire all 300 people working on the game tomorrow, shut down the server farm of the Arena Commander 1.0 alpha module which I´m currently playing, he´ll put the remaining budget in a bag and flee to Guatemala to buy a Hacienda, because being on an international most wanted list and being cursed by 700,000 backers is sure a lot more fun and exciting than making games.

How exactly will he be on a international most wanted list? He delivered a product according to kickstarter terms by putting out the hanger so he would be in no legal trouble what so ever.

AA was funded by a publisher who wanted a return on their investment, big shocker to want something back on  your investment. A publisher who also helps keep the developer honest. Of course the downside is that the publisher also has a large say in the development and can completely screw the game by demanding stupid features.

Star citizen is being funded by fans who may get a shitty to excellent game for their money. No one is keeping CR honest with how he spends the money or what game decisions make it into the game. Yes he doesn't have a publisher breathing down his neck to push stupid ideas into the game but he also can put stupid ideas in the game if he wants to and who knows how the money is being spent?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

He is saying that one ship is the equivalent of a VW Sprinter  (dependable small cargo hauling vehicle), one is a Landrover (excellent offroader), one is a Ferrari F40 (excelllent speed, lousy suspension), one is a Suzuki Swift (small urban vehicle), one is a Ford Galaxy  (big easily reconfigurable family van) and yet another one is a  Belaz 75710 Ore Hauler.

Then all the different cars get placed in roads where demolition derby is allowed, and we'll see how the VW Beetle that comes in starter package can excel in its own role against a heavy-spender who bought a fire truck.