Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Repopulation: Early Access Begins, NDA Lifts

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    This looks like my dream game! So sad, but I can only afford to buy presents for others this year. Maybe next year...

Smile

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by Sketch420

Pay to alpha test a game that will be completely free?

God I hate how this industry treats its fans, especially ones interested enough to spend their time testing an unfinished product.

You do realise it is paying to help support development of the game right?

Also for paying now, you get silver/gold and platinum membership at launch which will NOT be free ever - and bonus cashshop credit and alikes

If you dont want to help support development that is fine, but many people do

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I don't understand people trying to portray this game as free.  There is no such thing as a free game, especially when made by an indie like this.  The cash shop will be mandatory, any disinformation that this is not true should be ignored.

This could eventually be a good game, if people support it.  It will take them time to get all the features in though, so expect it will take a year or two.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Did I understand right, based on another poster, that achieving certain level early access by paying money means they can be a mayor of a player city?

Someone please elaborate. Is this a position that is possible to earn by just playing the game? If not, it better be simply a title only, with no substantial in-game benefit. Otherwise... Yuck.

Originally posted by MadFrenchie
    Did I understand right, based on another poster, that achieving certain level early access by paying money means they can be a mayor of a player city?

Someone please elaborate. Is this a position that is possible to earn by just playing the game? If not, it better be simply a title only, with no substantial in-game benefit. Otherwise... Yuck.

You wont be able to get everything for free, else how do you expect them to survive considering there are no subscriptions?

Membership Package

We are what is called in the industry a Free to Play (F2P) title. We distribute the game for free and you can play it at no continuing cost. Obviously, the game will not last very long if no one pays any money so we sell memberships with additional perks.

We currently plan on offering 3 memberships with each membership including the previous membership’s offerings. The memberships are a one time purchase much like paying a box fee for a game compared to a subscription that is paid every month.

The currently planned offerings for each membership is as follows.

Silver Membership Additional Character, Inventory, Bank, Shared Bank, Mission, and Auction Slots. Access to City Council and Nation Leadership options.

Gold Membership More Character, Inventory, Bank, Shared Bank, Mission, and Auction Slots. Ability become a city mayor and run a player city.

Platinum Membership More Character, Inventory, Bank, Shared Bank, Mission, and Auction Slots. Ability to create a new nation.

Memberships are offered as part of packages now, but will be available for future purchase upon release. You will be able to upgrade your membership as well with your existing store credit or newly purchased credit once the game is released.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I don't understand people trying to portray this game as free.  There is no such thing as a free game, especially when made by an indie like this.  The cash shop will be mandatory, any disinformation that this is not true should be ignored.

This could eventually be a good game, if people support it.  It will take them time to get all the features in though, so expect it will take a year or two.

I will take their word for it over yours tbh :)

Store Credit

Part of being F2P is having a cash shop where players can purchase in-game items. We do not sell what are considered Pay to Win (P2W) items that require players to spend money in hopes to compete in the game; instead, we sell cosmetic items that players can use in-game along with a small variety of time saving options such as Items commonly referred to as experience potions. Store Credit can also be used to purchase or upgrade a membership if you don’t have all of the levels. We understand the value of both paying and non paying customers and want to provide incentives to paying customers without non paying customers feeling like they are playing a demo. Store Credit will be given at release and is non refundable.

Originally posted by delta9

Store Credit

Part of being F2P is having a cash shop where players can purchase in-game items. We do not sell what are considered Pay to Win (P2W) items that require players to spend money in hopes to compete in the game; instead, we sell cosmetic items that players can use in-game along with a small variety of time saving options such as Items commonly referred to as experience potions. Store Credit can also be used to purchase or upgrade a membership if you don’t have all of the levels. We understand the value of both paying and non paying customers and want to provide incentives to paying customers without non paying customers feeling like they are playing a demo. Store Credit will be given at release and is non refundable.

Think about it, If the cash shop is not mandatory the game would die because there would be no funding to keep it going.  MMO's require constant funding to pay for servers, bandwidth, new development, etc..  They cannot exist like a console game with a one time infusion of cash.  That is why many use subscriptions.  Without subscriptions a mandatory cash shop is the only way to pay for the game, hence no matter how you construe what the developers say, it will be so.  If you don't think that is true, you are deluding yourself.  

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

Store Credit

Think about it, If the cash shop is not mandatory the game would die because there would be no funding to keep it going.  MMO's require constant funding to pay for servers, bandwidth, new development, etc..  They cannot exist like a console game with a one time infusion of cash.  That is why many use subscriptions.  Without subscriptions a mandatory cash shop is the only way to pay for the game, hence no matter how you construe what the developers say, it will be so.  If you don't think that is true, you are deluding yourself.  

That must be the reason why games which sell cosmetic items only went bankrupt years ago. i.e. League of Legends. Oh, right, it didn't. Guess that must be because they dont have servers and dont need bandwith and also dont develop new things...

edit and yeah I know not an MMO when it comes to gameplay but my guess is they have about the same need for  money.

Originally posted by Alumicard

Store Credit

That must be the reason why games which sell cosmetic items only went bankrupt years ago. i.e. League of Legends. Oh, right, it didn't. Guess that must be because they dont have servers and dont need bandwith and also dont develop new things...

edit and yeah I know not an MMO when it comes to gameplay but my guess is they have about the same need for  money.

Deny, deny, deny all you want, but I will guarantee you when the game launches you will find that you cannot play it without using the cash shop.  Citing League of Legends is pretty ridiculous, number one because it is a MOBA not a MMO.  Secondly LOL does sell a lot of things in the item shop because unless you grind a lot you still need to.  Thirdly LOL has millions of users playing, a hardcore MMO like this will be lucky to break 6 figures.   

I can see items in the cash shop to help fund the game, but when you limit items/positions of very real power (running a city, creating an entire nation), it's off-putting for me. If you're going to withhold game mechanics, just use a subscription. If those game mechanics are worth it, folks will pay.

If not, they really aren't worth selling in the first place.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Alumicard

Deny, deny, deny all you want, but I will guarantee you when the game launches you will find that you cannot play it without using the cash shop.  Citing League of Legends is pretty ridiculous, number one because it is a MOBA not a MMO.  Secondly LOL does sell a lot of things in the item shop because unless you grind a lot you still need to.  Thirdly LOL has millions of users playing, a hardcore MMO like this will be lucky to break 6 figures.   

Like I wrote before, MOBA or MMO, both need a constant income to keep the servers up. They have to pay devs, hardware and both have to pay for traffic.  And you dont need to pay a cent for LoL even without grinding. You can if you like but it is unnessesary. They do sell only stuff that is cosmetic or you can get with ingame currency too.

And you do know that millions of users require a higher amount of hardware and cause a lot more traffic than 100k? So Repop doesnt need as much money as a user giant like LoL. And if it gets 1mio users then the income goes up as well. But not seeing the need to go into basic math.

If you want to think f2p means automaticly you have to use the shop then please do so and you can garantee it all you want. But that doesn't make it true.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

No sub?  I have no idea how they will stay afloat without a sub.  Sounds B2P in the info provided in this thread.  B2P with a cosmetic cash shop is a steal.

Can't wait to give this a shot.  Good to see they are making progress.  I think I'll continue to wait a bit before support as I would like to give it a shot closer to release.

Do you seriously think a indie developer would so openly state there will be no p2w items will go back on their word - the backlash and loss of players would be significant if they did.

Look at many MMORPG games with cash shops without p2w items in - they sell a bucket load of things from dyes to xp pots and such and The Repopulation will be no different - the devs have said as much and I believe you are just wrong here

This game needs no where near the return a AAA title does to run well and turn a profit - so long as they deliver what they promise there is a big base of gamers waiting for this game and they will pay for non p2w items in their droves

Again I am taking the developers word over your assumptions on this :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Do you seriously think a indie developer would so openly state there will be no p2w items will go back on their word - the backlash and loss of players would be significant if they did.

Look at many MMORPG games with cash shops without p2w items in - they sell a bucket load of things from dyes to xp pots and such and The Repopulation will be no different - the devs have said as much and I believe you are just wrong here

This game needs no where near the return a AAA title does to run well and turn a profit - so long as they deliver what they promise there is a big base of gamers waiting for this game and they will pay for non p2w items in their droves

There will be some here who believe the ability to create and run player cites and nations is a P2W scenario, unless there is some way to obtain these benefits without the need to purchase from the cash shop.

Even items such as extra bank/shared bank and auction slots could be considered P2W, if they impart significant advantage by having them and especially if the only way to obtain them is through cash store purchases.

Don't get me wrong, I believe people who support a game through subs and or cash shop purchases should have an advantage over the totally free player, to design it otherwise would make no sense.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Originally posted by Kyleran

There will be some here who believe the ability to create and run player cites and nations is a P2W scenario, unless there is some way to obtain these benefits without the need to purchase from the cash shop.

I don't see why this would matter as long as you can still be a part of those cities or nations. Wouldn't make any sense for every single player to own and operate one, granted I'm not 100% on all the benefits yet.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by svandy

I don't see why this would matter as long as you can still be a part of those cities or nations. Wouldn't make any sense for every single player to own and operate one, granted I'm not 100% on all the benefits yet.

You'd have to play a game such as EVE to understand the power (and responsibility) to running your own player nation, most definitely can make a huge difference in the game world as to who is running them.

But like you said, until we get to play the full game, not sure how the player politics and control will impact the game world.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Running a city or nation implies they would have control over things such as tax rates, who can own what within the city/nation and where, and who gets whatever profit owning said city/nation offers (if they don't offer any benefits, folks won't put forth any effort to obtain them). Selling these positions in a cash shop, placing a hard barrier there, is just a terrible idea (in my opinion). I personally will avoid the title if that's the case.

It's one thing to sell items that give players an advantage in terms of their avatar's skills. It's quite another (in a bad way) to give them a position in which they can negatively and directly affect other players on a whim and en masse. It's daring the trolls to break your game.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    The issue will be that this company doesn't have the extra cash to police those that will hack and exploit the games client. These type of MMO's bring out the types that just have to get an edge any way they can, and of course it will bring the grief clans too. It's the older gamers that pay for cheats, not the teenagers, and this game is full of mature players that will buy money, and cheat programs to make up for their lack of grind time because of real life duties.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Even items such as extra bank/shared bank and auction slots could be considered P2W, if they impart significant advantage by having them and especially if the only way to obtain them is through cash store purchases.

Don't get me wrong, I believe people who support a game through subs and or cash shop purchases should have an advantage over the totally free player, to design it otherwise would make no sense.

I would wholeheartedly agree, but there the advantages gained should plateau after a certain point. Without some kind of DR in place, then it's just a game for whales. AA is a good example of where this went wrong. The biggest advantage should have been in subscribing. 

Oh yeah I agree.

I am sure there will be people who think p2w means being able to run a nation or city or that having convenience items is winning, those people are simply wrong - the only time you "win" is when you get better gear, items and such from the cash shop and its in that I trust this game won't do

Using the cash shop won't be mandatory, but it will be very very tempting (for me)

Have already backed the game and got a platinum account and some store credit ready for when early access begins :)

Originally posted by IAmMMO
    The issue will be that this company doesn't have the extra cash to police those that will hack and exploit the games client. These type of MMO's bring out the types that just have to get an edge any way they can, and of course it will bring the grief clans too. It's the older gamers that pay for cheats, not the teenagers, and this game is full of mature players that will buy money, and cheat programs to make up for their lack of grind time because of real life duties.

Do I think it will be perfect - nope ofcourse not - I have yet to see any MMO that doesn't end up with some issue with exploits and cheaters, but with this game the GM and devs are showing a much more active (in game and out) and open presence than many of the AAA titles who barely employ enough CSRs to do anything except send you a pre scripted reply and take months to address serious issues.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Oh yeah I agree.

I am sure there will be people who think p2w means being able to run a nation or city or that having convenience items is winning, those people are simply wrong - the only time you "win" is when you get better gear, items and such from the cash shop and its in that I trust this game won't do

Using the cash shop won't be mandatory, but it will be very very tempting (for me)

Have already backed the game and got a platinum account and some store credit ready for when early access begins :)

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Do I think it will be perfect - nope ofcourse not - I have yet to see any MMO that doesn't end up with some issue with exploits and cheaters, but with this game the GM and devs are showing a much more active (in game and out) and open presence than many of the AAA titles who barely employ enough CSRs to do anything except send you a pre scripted reply and take months to address serious issues.

From what I have seen so far this appears to be a very dual natured MMO.

They are trying to give PvE players and PvP players both an important role in the game.   Obviously when you have the option of tab vs aiming offered , you can say they are going out of their way to have cross appeal to a large segment of gamers.

But when it comes to P2W, the cash shop obviously affect one group more than the other.   Trying to appease the PvP crowd is probably going to take much of their resources.   The rest of us casual and PvE players will likely take this all in stride and just enjoy the game.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Again, the devs are in a catch-22 with offering cities and nations for backers; if they do not provide enough benefits/advantages, no one will pay for the privilege. If they do, then those players gain a significant amount of advantages/control over other players by paying. If owning a nation amounts to a title below your name (cosmetic/aesthetic), they won't sell a lot of packages based on that. If it's substantial, it's asking whales to abuse players who wish to utilize said nation/city or even simply pass through it.

Unless leaders of city/nations are figureheads with no real governing power, you're selling control of individual parts of the gameworld. That's bad business.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I like what I read about this game. It finally looks like a game that is designed to bring back an older MMORPG feel to the genre that's been missing for years. However, I am exceedingly skeptical of a F2P Cash Shop business model in a player driven economy based game. And Kyleran also brings up a valid concern. This is an Indie title with a small team on a tight budget. Are they in a position to effectively handle the exploiters and hackers when (not if) they show up in a F2P game?
  • Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by MadFrenchie
    Again, the devs are in a catch-22 with offering cities and nations for backers; if they do not provide enough benefits/advantages, no one will pay for the privilege. If they do, then those players gain a significant amount of advantages/control over other players by paying. If owning a nation amounts to a title below your name (cosmetic/aesthetic), they won't sell a lot of packages based on that. If it's substantial, it's asking whales to abuse players who wish to utilize said nation/city or even simply pass through it.

Unless leaders of city/nations are figureheads with no real governing power, you're selling control of individual parts of the gameworld. That's bad business.

It's not just backers. Anyone can buy the memberships.

I'm certainly relieved to hear that, though I still worry at the trend when games are selling pieces of control in the game to players.

Hopefully the developers can strike a good balance there. But it just begs the question, again: if you're going to withhold major game mechanics behind a paywall, why not just place a box price? Not every box has to sell for $60 at release; sell this for $20, then add perks for a subscription (more character slots, cosmetics, slightly increased rate of experience, access to expansion packs that are otherwise sold separately, etc.)??

F2P just leaves your game so open to hackers, bots, and abuse.