Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 Best In-Game Gifts from Developers

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the best ways to spread holiday cheer is to give presents to other people, but let’s be honest: getting a gift that you want (or one that you didn’t know you wanted) is sure to make you feel just as warm and tingly inside.  Last week, David Jagneaux shared 5 Awesome Gift Ideas for the MMO Gamer, and I’d be just as happy buying one of those items for myself as I would be getting it for one of my guildmates.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's The List: 5 Best In-Game Gifts from Developers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    I personally like the items you can continue using after the fact that give you buffs or provide a service like quick travel or something simple like loot pickup in an AOE area.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Since I love additional events, maybe I like those "gifts" the most. If they have some extra items which you can use later for the fun or just for fluff, it's even better, so in this I agree with himonthissite above.

"What are some of your favorite in-game MMORPG gifts?" (concerning events)

My favourite was maybe the 3rd STO anniversary with the Temporal storyline, Denise Cosby, the "It's dead, Jim" accolade :) and of course the Enterprise C.

Well, if already at Cryptic and also it's a Som column ( :) ) Neverwinter's first Valindra event was cool too. And my first summer festival, with herding the pigs and chickens, loved that. And the winter with the ice-course, and the fawn companion.

In LotRO it's the GM-runned events at Codies, hands down. And the truckloads of player-organised events. But if we're talking strictly about developer ones, I always had a soft spot for Bilbo's birthday. The musical crackers are maybe my favourite in-game items - sadly they're out of the game now, so my new characters will never have one. But the new birthday event is cool too, great writing and the scribe's bookstand is a nice item for a scholar house.

In TSW every event is great, and every year brings a new one as well, so you always have something new to explore. If I had to pick one, I'd say the End of the world, but not the in-game one (though that was a nice one too), the IRL one. Joel grabbing the Zoe figurine and an axe, while going into the bunker... awesome :)

A 5th one, well, let's stick to FC then, my first winter event in AoC, with the Vanir. Nice story, and a cool cosmetic piece at the end.

• sominatorsominator Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Since I love additional events, maybe I like those "gifts" the most. If they have some extra items which you can use later for the fun or just for fluff, it's even better, so in this I agree with himonthissite above.

"What are some of your favorite in-game MMORPG gifts?" (concerning events)

My favourite was maybe the 3rd STO anniversary with the Temporal storyline, Denise Cosby, the "It's dead, Jim" accolade :) and of course the Enterprise C.

Well, if already at Cryptic and also it's a Som column ( :) ) Neverwinter's first Valindra event was cool too. And my first summer festival, with herding the pigs and chickens, loved that. And the winter with the ice-course, and the fawn companion.

In LotRO it's the GM-runned events at Codies, hands down. And the truckloads of player-organised events. But if we're talking strictly about developer ones, I always had a soft spot for Bilbo's birthday. The musical crackers are maybe my favourite in-game items - sadly they're out of the game now, so my new characters will never have one. But the new birthday event is cool too, great writing and the scribe's bookstand is a nice item for a scholar house.

In TSW every event is great, and every year brings a new one as well, so you always have something new to explore. If I had to pick one, I'd say the End of the world, but not the in-game one (though that was a nice one too), the IRL one. Joel grabbing the Zoe figurine and an axe, while going into the bunker... awesome :)

A 5th one, well, let's stick to FC then, my first winter event in AoC, with the Vanir. Nice story, and a cool cosmetic piece at the end.

Loved the summer and winter festivals, especially herding pigs and the Twilight Run! :)

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Any game that has:

1. Veteran/daily log on rewards.
    2. Referral program items/buffs etc.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Guild Wars 1, Birthday pets. Some of those are worth hundreds of dollars now.

RuneScape Veteran Capes.

Pretty much it, all other MMORPGs are junky.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Guild Wars 1, Birthday pets. Some of those are worth hundreds of dollars now.

RuneScape Veteran Capes.

Pretty much it, all other MMORPGs are junky.

Those were/are great.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Had to stop reading at "snowperson"...

Can't take any more political correctness.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    What MMO is those squirrel mounts from?
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Rift

The event is Fae Yule and runs to until 7 Jan.

And I believe the mount is called the 2014 Merry Mink Mount.

All die, so die well.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    imo every game that adds holiday themed events just because it's a real world holiday so lets mess out own in game calander and make up a holiday to be popular (how very catholic church of you all) cheapens their product.  I know, most of you eat it up, but to me it's pure tripe.
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by blackthornn
    imo every game that adds holiday themed events just because it's a real world holiday so lets mess out own in game calander and make up a holiday to be popular (how very catholic church of you all) cheapens their product.  I know, most of you eat it up, but to me it's pure tripe.

Some people love tripe. So....

• DuckfatherDuckfather Member UncommonPosts: 5

Years ago, in Ultima Online, we got special servers where it was a free for all Elves versus Santas battle in a large keep. You could choose which side to play on from within the game, and then be transported into the battle with a few freebie weapons etc to help out.

There is nothing funnier than watching a horde of Santa's battling Elves surrounded by hundreds of Santa and Elf corpses. Trust me :)

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Though it doesn't really fit the list, I always find it nice when a developer personally invites you to one of their alpha testings.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Slampig

Had to stop reading at "snowperson"...

Can't take any more political correctness.

What is a snowperson?  Even the spelling check has problems with it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by blackthornn
    imo every game that adds holiday themed events just because it's a real world holiday so lets mess out own in game calander and make up a holiday to be popular (how very catholic church of you all) cheapens their product.  I know, most of you play games to have fun and enjoy celebrating holidays, but to me it's pure tripe.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre