Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF Older/Indie MMOs

Noyou12Noyou12 Member UncommonPosts: 23

So I've played pretty much every major MMO and I'm largely over them for different reasons (ESO, Wildstar, WoW, Archage, Aion, etc.).

Recently I've been playing Project Gorgon and I've had a lot of fun with it, but I need a change of pace (It's still in alpha and I don't want to burn out on it before it's released).

I'm okay with poor graphics as long as gameplay compensates for it.

I prefer western games with realistic stylings (I.e. no exaggerated fonts and flashy spell effects/weapon attacks), as well as a fantasy setting. Ideally the game has permament choices and character development (akin to lycanthropy in PG) without set classes. The game would have to be exceptionally good for me to enjoy a sci-fi setting.

The game needs to have an active community but it doesn't need to be a large one; after playing PG I'm just wondering if there's any other games that are innovative and fun that I should check out.

I don't mind subs/purchase prices etc., though I'd like to avoid pay to win games.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

There are a couple of games that come to mind, but one of my favorite lesser known games that I like right now is Life is Feudal.  It reminds me of really old MMOs.  Right now it's not an MMO, but a player server run game with upto 64 players able to connect at once.  It takes a lot of time and patience to do most things and you'll almost always be forced to work with others to get things done.  It relies alot on the community to work together, and the reputation system works very well.  If you murder enough people you could lose all your skill levels with a single death lol.  It depends alot on the server settings you're playing on, but it could be a slow grind like 90s MMOs, or it could be super fast.  Players right now get to set the ruleset for their server.  Eventually it will be made into an MMO.

You literally get plopped down on the shore with no instructions or anything, which I really loved.  There's plenty of info on the web if you want to take a look.  It has some bugs, but it's in alpha right now so it is expected.  I'm not sure what it costs right now, but I picked up a few copies for $15 on a steam sale :D

• Noyou12Noyou12 Member UncommonPosts: 23

Life is Feudal is something I've been keeping an eye on since it popped up on steam, but I don't think it's something I want to play just yet.

It'll definitely be something I'll play eventually, and if it drops to $15 again I'll pick it up for later. I think I'd generally prefer a MMO right now though, and if Life is Feudal reaches that stage I'll definitely play it.

• NuzanNuzan Member UncommonPosts: 33

Maybe you would like to give Ryzom a try.

It is a kind of sandbox game. It was miles ahead of its time ten years ago and in some ways it still is. 3 D Graphics are a bit dated but very atmospheric in a realistic, western style.

Setting is on an organic plant planet, so you won't find the usual ork / elve / dwarf population. Background story is with a bit science fiction in it but every day life takes place in four pre-industrial nations placed in beautiful landscapes. Landscape views change with seasons and daytime. The ui is plain and intuitive for experienced mmo players. There are a lot of little details in gameplay, mob KI and style which makes the game different in an interesting way.

The french developers run a small but dedicated international community of a few hundred players with friendly volunteer gms and very individual support on one server, english community is very active there.

Players can choose between four playable folks but in fact gameplay is classless, you level the skill that you use. Playing a tank, a mage, range fighter, healer or forager is determined by your gear. Nearly all gear is player made. Ryzom has a very unique crafting and foraging system. Quality of crafted items depends on the crafter's skill. Hunting down roaming mobs and boss mobs for best material as well as prospecting material spots during the seasons can make great part of gameplay.

There are guild wars too and pvp areas with player fights over the best foraging spots.

There is a lot of background story lore which gives a lot of opportunities for roleplay if someone likes to.

Ryzom is with subscription about 8 euro / month but there is a free trial till half of max level too. No cash shop.

Look at www.ryzom.com

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    http://euotopia.com/ giveit a try. Old school, indie, small community. There never more than 5 people on at a time but they respond when spoken to.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.