Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried it again but... no. Just no

Comments

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I haven't had the itch to come back to play TSW, however as I think of it, what a better time to start playing TSW during this Halloween season.

I really liked the game when it came out, but hit a massive burnout  wall on it and yeah, it's another one of them games that don't appeal to the masses, but I guess I am one them players that don't agree with the masses.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    A shame.  I consider it to be one of the better ones.  However, if you don't care for i;, you don't care for it.

I self identify as a monkey.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    I believe one 'no' would have sufficed.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by spankybus
    I believe one 'no' would have sufficed.

Sometimes you just need that second, "no," I'd say for the important dichotomy of thought.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

I haven't had the itch to come back to play TSW, however as I think of it, what a better time to start playing TSW during this Halloween season.

I really liked the game when it came out, but hit a massive burnout  wall on it and yeah, it's another one of them games that don't appeal to the masses, but I guess I am one them players that don't agree with the masses.

Yeah, Halloween is a great time to start playing TSW. Every time I listen to (a very few) people piss'n'moan about how deadly it was move from Kingsmouth to Savage Coast, I have to laugh. I sent several characters that were barely fit to set foot out of Kingsmouth Town proper, and sent them around Solomon Island to the Franklin Mansion, and then across the Haitian Market, Egypt and Transylvania for  ingredients, and back to Blue Mountain for the Cat God quest. Ah, fun times.

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by CasualMaker
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

Yeah, Halloween is a great time to start playing TSW. Every time I listen to (a very few) people piss'n'moan about how deadly it was move from Kingsmouth to Savage Coast, I have to laugh. I sent several characters that were barely fit to set foot out of Kingsmouth Town proper, and sent them around Solomon Island to the Franklin Mansion, and then across the Haitian Market, Egypt and Transylvania for  ingredients, and back to Blue Mountain for the Cat God quest. Ah, fun times.

I can't stand it either....I was in trans last night in the 2nd area pwning mobs like it wasn't funny.  Did I die...yeah...sometimes it happens, but I never struggled to defeat anything and I wasn't "surrounded by mobs" during my adventure through it as some say.

• Another_FanAnother_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Elikal

I really was/am the biggest mystery fan there is. So when I heard of TSW originally, I was totally thrilled.

I had played TSW from launch ~2 months, then again half a year or so later as well, and the last 2 days again anew. But... no. The combat is still the same crappy mess. It wasn't reworked or improved at all. The skill selection is still a chaos, you can select 1000s of combinations of which 999 suck. Targetting is a mess. Some power are STILL totally overpowered while other powersets are lame.

Nothing of the quests has changed, I didn't see any new additions neither with my mid level old char nor with my new char.

I still had this chaotic feeling from the start, still mobs every 2 meters, still crappy invisivble rewards instead of stuff you can WEAR and SEE.

Still all 3 factions go to the same terretories, no replay value, no new zones or lands.

Asf asf

Sorry if the critique is a bit simplistic. I am just frustrated. I had hoped Funcom would work on the game. I mean, other companies did, but apparently Funcom just lets the game run as it is. A shame. I can accept games and companies who work with their games, but Funcom apprently just let it all be as it is. I mean, I am sure they added some stuff, but nothing I could find in 2 days aprox. 14 hours play time. I guess that was the last time I gave this a chance. Three times is enough, and if Funcom did nothing by now, they won't at all.

Too bad. I really had hoped this would be worked on after launch.

A forum is a place where people can discuss about different opinions. So what I don't get is, how people react offended when they come to a forum and then find... well different opinions. If a different opinion offends you, what are you even doing here?

Don't agree with all your points, but no replay value, skill wheel populated with useless skills, and the three factions with trivial exceptions being exactly the same, all ring true.

For me games like The Secret World underline the problems in gaming. The more flawed and broken a game is the harder it is to get a good review, or opinions on forums that aren't pure boosterism. The developers know they have a badly flawed product so they just let people get sucked in by the opening zone, take the cash, and make false promises about delivery dates.

TSW is a great example of this. The Tokyo zone was promised for December 2013 in October 2013 and was delivered in June 2014. String the players along with BS and take the money.

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

I've been considering trying TSW again but I've not done it so far and put it away for good I think. It's not worth it to learn to play again to go to end game and then get into the waiting game for new content. They've delivered one new zone in 2+ years, and some quests and dungeons. The dungeons also had a lot of flaws and exploits. It's ofcourse because the game failed. I'll rather play a game that has updates and a functional economy and crafting. Currently not playing any game though.

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

So close to being a great game/ mmo, setting and the quests, story are perfect but it just falls short in other neglected area's.

I could put up with the character animations as for me they come straight from conan and can not see much difference except more ugly character models.

But why I cant stay in the game is the same as the majority, and its the terrible combat system, also the over populated mobs which just makes it repetitive and not fun to explore.

Sometimes I want to go back and give it another go as I wish they could just sort out the combat and I would love this game, I want to love it, but then I check the forums to see if the combat has been changed, when i find out it has not then thats enough to not bother.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• CryseydeCryseyde Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by paul43

The dungeons also had a lot of flaws and exploits.

Which were all fixed before the date on your post. Obvious trolls are obvious. Play or don't play. Continuing to bash a game you're not playing is trolling. Move along, nothing to see here.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Cryseyde
    Originally posted by paul43

The dungeons also had a lot of flaws and exploits.

Which were all fixed before the date on your post. Obvious trolls are obvious. Play or don't play. Continuing to bash a game you're not playing is trolling. Move along, nothing to see here.

Agreed times infinity.  Why  people feel the need to do this is beyond me.

• Kemosabe-TBCKemosabe-TBC Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

They have worked on the game.  For some reason, you're under the impression that because you don't like the game, it must be bad.  You are incorrect.

It's not the game, it's you.

No, it is the game. As people told them repeatedly during beta and since, the combat is bad.

But it's not...

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

I wanted to like this game as just something different and probably the closest thing to a Cthulu MMO I'll ever see but nope just can't. Not enough character appearance customization to start with (yes later on you can get different outfits). The player characters look far too much alike, I've seen far too many characters that look just like me but with different outfits. Yes you can technically make all kinds of different "builds" but how many of them will actually work? The combat seems boring to me, the vast majority of the "builds" they have pre-designed with "outfit" rewards either don't appeal or don't seem to work well (the ones I've tried). I really can't get over the magic assault rifles, and magic shotguns just... no... The endless re-doing of the same quests is really stupid (and boring). This just seems a deeply flawed design from the foundation up. Real pity would have been nice... Oh and the lack of community. Wow, talk about UN-friendly for new players, wow, there's so very little open communication, it's a desert.

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    There are some flawed accusations of this: One being that when you come across a mission it actually does NOT auto accept you. YOU, sir, have to accept it knowing fully well it will cancel out the other one. You should have known this in the very first town. That's easy to overcome, simply finish the mission you were on (and why not? xp is xp, story is story). Also... I for one didn't think the characters were bad looking at all compared to other MMO's that came out around the same time. The animations were ok, nothing to brag about... What the game is really about though is the massive story inside of it. That is what it's all about not to mention the dungeons were immense fun and very very strategic. I no longer play but when i did the only time i ever became frustrated was having to grind skill points for the next zone to level in as a different "viable" spec. That was kind of lame. Should be able to play the role you like the most successfully without having to cater what they implement for you. That's my only complaint. The storyline is amazing and the graphics are well done. 
  • CryseydeCryseyde Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by saker

I wanted to like this game as just something different and probably the closest thing to a Cthulu MMO I'll ever see but nope just can't. Not enough character appearance customization to start with (yes later on you can get different outfits). The player characters look far too much alike, I've seen far too many characters that look just like me but with different outfits. Yes you can technically make all kinds of different "builds" but how many of them will actually work? The combat seems boring to me, the vast majority of the "builds" they have pre-designed with "outfit" rewards either don't appeal or don't seem to work well (the ones I've tried). I really can't get over the magic assault rifles, and magic shotguns just... no... The endless re-doing of the same quests is really stupid (and boring). This just seems a deeply flawed design from the foundation up. Real pity would have been nice... Oh and the lack of community. Wow, talk about UN-friendly for new players, wow, there's so very little open communication, it's a desert.

There are over 6 million combinations in the character creator, not including clothing options. The player characters look alike because they are all human. Maybe that's not what you're looking for, which is fine. That they are all human seems to throw people who come from other games with pointy-eared things and greenskins. I've managed to create 6 faces that I'm happy with. One is an intentional Kesha Castle-Hughes lookalike (stop laughing, I liked Whale Rider). Now personally, I'd like a little less whitewashing in my human creator, but that doesn't mean that they all look alike.

The build system is complex, not gonna lie about that. I wouldn't have it any other way. Can you create a build that sucks and doesn't work? Sure can. Most of the faction decks are crap - they were intended as examples of how to build a deck with synergy. Unfortunately, most people don't view them that way. I used the Warlock deck for precisely one pull before I decided I was being trolled with it. That doesn't mean that there aren't a TON of builds that do work. I have over 40 saved to my Gear Manager, and that's not including little on-the-fly tweaks I make for one purpose that I don't save. The only reason to get those pre-made example decks is the outfits but they're not for everyone, that's personal taste. Also the different factions have very different flavors, so a different faction may fit better.

You don't ever have to repeat a mission in TSW. Ever. Really really not ever. If you do 75% of the missions in Kingsmouth, you should have enough points to be strong enough for Savage Coast. If you do all of them once, you'll have more than enough. If you're having to repeat missions, you need build help. It might be your deck, it might be your gear. It might also be that you're not moving in combat, which reduces damage taken. There's plenty of resources for help, too. Including the community you so casually dismissed.image If you're looking to these forums for community, well... we ain't here. The place you want is the TSW Newcomer's forums, or the Sanctuary channel in game. (I add this not for you as you seem to have made up your mind, but for anyone else who reads this.)

Since you do seem to have made up your mind without exhausting many (or really any) of your available options, I guess wherever you do end up playing, I hope you have fun. Dunno if you've tried AoC, but tons of Howard's writing has the vibe you seem to be looking for (he and Lovecraft were friends) and you might like the low-fantasy + elder gods brooding darkness thing.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Elikal

I really was/am the biggest mystery fan there is. So when I heard of TSW originally, I was totally thrilled.

I had played TSW from launch ~2 months, then again half a year or so later as well, and the last 2 days again anew. But... no. The combat is still the same crappy mess. It wasn't reworked or improved at all. The skill selection is still a chaos, you can select 1000s of combinations of which 999 suck. Targetting is a mess. Some power are STILL totally overpowered while other powersets are lame.

There is nothing wrong with targeting.  The combat is not a mess, it's actually pretty well refined... you could certainly complain about it's spammy nature and be justified, but the nuts and bolts are solid and the system itself is deep and rewarding.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the skill system, and it's relatively easy to make almost any two weapons work together well enough that you aren't crippled.  Every power set is useful and see's use in the end-game.

Nothing of the quests has changed, I didn't see any new additions neither with my mid level old char nor with my new char.

Why would they?   This is TSW we are talking about, and it has what is widely considered the best leveling and questing experience in MMOs. There is plenty of content in the beginning and mid levels that you never even came close to completing in the first place, so why would they add more when they should probably be concentrating on adding to the end-game?

I still had this chaotic feeling from the start, still mobs every 2 meters, still crappy invisivble rewards instead of stuff you can WEAR and SEE.

I don't really know what you mean by "Chaotic".  Mob density can be a little annoying at times, but it also promotes a sense of difficulty and dread that a game like TSW thrives on, hell... it even promotes teamwork; which is a novel concept in itself in MMO leveling.

You're invisible rewards stuff is nonsensical. There are tons of "rewards" you can get that you can WEAR and SEE on your character.  They just aren't tied to your stats.  Most people consider this an improvement, which is why most gear based games now have things like Transmog.

Still all 3 factions go to the same terretories, no replay value, no new zones or lands.

The factions are for flavor and PvP purposes.  They aren't factions in the sense that you cannot play with each other or that you are opposed to each other, ala Horde/Alliance.  There is no good reason to split up the content, you'd only be depriving the player base.

There has been  a fair amount of added content at end-game with the issues and Tokyo.  I'd prefer more, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like they haven't added anything.  They're up to something like "Issue" 10(?) now.  

Sorry if the critique is a bit simplistic. I am just frustrated. I had hoped Funcom would work on the game. I mean, other companies did, but apparently Funcom just lets the game run as it is. A shame. I can accept games and companies who work with their games, but Funcom apprently just let it all be as it is. I mean, I am sure they added some stuff, but nothing I could find in 2 days aprox. 14 hours play time. 

The game does have it's share or problems.  Somehow you managed to not point out one of them that was actually valid, and instead pointed out things like it's questing system, which is arguably the best leveling experience in MMOs.  They've added a fair amount of stuff at endgame, like any reasonable company would, because that's where your active player base resides.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by Zeplini

So close to being a great game/ mmo, setting and the quests, story are perfect but it just falls short in other neglected area's.

I could put up with the character animations as for me they come straight from conan and can not see much difference except more ugly character models.

But why I cant stay in the game is the same as the majority, and its the terrible combat system, also the over populated mobs which just makes it repetitive and not fun to explore.

Sometimes I want to go back and give it another go as I wish they could just sort out the combat and I would love this game, I want to love it, but then I check the forums to see if the combat has been changed, when i find out it has not then thats enough to not bother.

The date before the post above.....10/20/14 6:25:52 PM

2 month old necro.

Did TSW really scare the ESO fans that much that they are posting in 2 month old threads just to bash.

TSW is doing something right.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Deleted User

They have worked on the game.  For some reason, you're under the impression that because you don't like the game, it must be bad.  You are incorrect.

Considering how poorly the game is doing, I'd say you're wrong.

I just started playing the game. I can see why it is not so popular. You have to think to solve some missions and puzzles. So it slows the game down and that turns off this generation of mmo players that need everything instant. A lot of things being posted as flaw are not really. Its just a different kinds of mmo. As far as combat goes,its mmo combat not an action combat system which all the younger players want. Kind of sick of the action combat in mmo's now. Once you learn how to setup your skills and passives the combat become's really fun, but you have to think about how you want it to be. The skill's and passive's you pick matter. Its not like other mmo's where you level up and just put a new skill on your bar. You have to put thought in everything you do in this game.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Hariken

I just started playing the game. I can see why it is not so popular. You have to think to solve some missions and puzzles. So it slows the game down and that turns off this generation of mmo players that need everything instant. A lot of things being posted as flaw are not really. Its just a different kinds of mmo. As far as combat goes,its mmo combat not an action combat system which all the younger players want. Kind of sick of the action combat in mmo's now. Once you learn how to setup your skills and passives the combat become's really fun, but you have to think about how you want it to be. The skill's and passive's you pick matter. Its not like other mmo's where you level up and just put a new skill on your bar. You have to put thought in everything you do in this game.

Yeah, dumb and faceroll is the one thing the Secret World is not.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

2 month old necro.

Did TSW really scare the ESO fans that much that they are posting in 2 month old threads just to bash.

Maybe you want to add the OP to your conspiracy theory? since his last five or six posts on mmorpg.com were all about ESO, he too is clearly part of the evil ESO-ZOS-NWO-TLA plot to do down Funcom and The Secret World. Which is more evidence than there is for Zeplini being an "ESO fan" (he posted once about the game in 2013 expressing gladness that it was to be a sub rather than cash shop based game).

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Ortwig

I agree

It reminds of how complex Anarchy online's character advancement was.

• TCO_TSWTCO_TSW Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Ortwig

I think that is the most important thing here. Hate or love this game you can't call it easy or generic because it is neither of those things. ;)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

2 month old necro.

WHat does that say about your own posts regarding ESO?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Combat may not be the best but its hands down the best questing experience I have ever had in an mmo since I started playing them ten years ago . TSW is quite simply one of the best games I have ever played and while its  not perfect I have got a huge amount of gameplay value out of it over the last two years . I can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone because some of the puzzles in it are real brain teasers . 
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by greatskys
    Combat may not be the best but its hands down the best questing experience I have ever had in an mmo since I started playing them ten years ago . TSW is quite simply one of the best games I have ever played and while its  not perfect I have got a huge amount of gameplay value out of it over the last two years . I can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone because some of the puzzles in it are real brain teasers . 

TSW is a really good game but I wouldn't dismiss all it's critics as people who can't figure it out so easily.  There are some glaring issues with the game especially in the animations, combat and content scaling areas that either you can overlook or can't.  Not everyone who dislikes the game does so because they are not able to solve the puzzles.

For me at least when I left around issue 9 the AP curve to really get into the new zone was pretty huge.  A new mostly solo player will finish the story line and issues up to 8 depending on how much repeating of content with about 30-50% of your wheel filled a few weapon sills maxed out, a couple pieces of purple gear and a bunch of blue pieces but than issue 9 assumes you have been grinding nightmare dungeons for the last year and have full sets of purples.  There was (I don't know about anymore) this wall between issue 8 and issue 9 that new players had to scale that wasn't fun to overcome.  The difficulty of scenarios was just a example to me of what was to come.  I can understand why they did it but they built issue 9 for their established fan base not new players to the game. 

I was really close to buying a lifetime sub to this game before scenarios came out but once I saw the direction the game was headed I decided not to and ended up drifting away from it after that.