Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Landmark Patch Video, EQN Taking Shape

AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Yjy3IgdWA

If anyone is interested in seeing what I consider EQN's Alpha take a big step forward, watch or at least skip to the different parts to check out some pretty big improvements of weapons, gear, skills, stats, mobs, tiered caves, travel, crafting, etc. Overall, a very nice patch from the looks of it, can't wait to give it a try and get a better sense of how EQN will come to be.

Several new weapons which basically are 1/4 of a class from how they appear. Already can see crafting being a big part of the game and not just a trade skill you learn, seems like it is tied to everything. Might be a reason to talk to other people?

"MOBA crossed with Magic the Gathering crossed with MMO combat" - Georgeson talking about collecting gear and putting it all together to make a character and play style unique to ourselves. The horizontal design will have me never looking at another vertical game ever again =)

While I'm sure it is still not what some want/expect, hopefully some of this shows that they aren't carbon copying WoW, GW2, or insert something disliked.

In my opinion the gear is done tastefully, weapons and pretty particles are under control, and combat itself is becoming more of what many of us would probably expect from a fantasy mmorpg (less bunny hopping). While still stylized as ever, the quality sure is up there. With improvements to character and world detail coming, should make it even better. Hopefully someone on the art team isn't afraid of a little imperfection in character faces.

Georgeson said that they'll be shifting to EQN as the main focus relatively soon, not sure if that means we'll actually get to see more of the game development as well, but at least Landmark's progress shows they have a team hard at work and moving them more to EQN should result in it actually releasing before I kick the bucket.

Patch Notes for any that might have missed them:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-17-dec-2014-let-there-be-monsters.51046/

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I'm not gona lie, Im really excited and watching the clock till the servers come up...

I've been waiting for daggers in landmark for a a very long time and liking what i'm seeing.

One thing I'm wondering however is if the particle effect changes if you have a different keyword, for example "Lightning obsidian daggers".

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

WOW...  That had to be the worst sales pitch I ever witness in recent years..  I wasted an hour of my life watching that "whatever you call it".. LOL I was not impressed with anything.. If anything, it turned me OFF even more.. They call that a dungeon? or cave?  Blackburrow is a dungeon..  Lower Guk is a dungeon..  It looked like more scripted demo play, that didn't even work.. CRASH!!!!.. and the mobs were less challenging then whack a mole..

Seriously, Landmark will be lucky to launch in 2015, and EQN is still YEARS away, if it ever launches..  Anyone notice how the name EverQuest is slowly disappearing from Landmarks title and website?  LOL 

Originally posted by Rydeson
    WOW...  That had to be the worst sales pitch I ever witness in recent years..  I wasted an hour of my life watching that "whatever you call it".. LOL I was not impressed with anything.. If anything, it turned me OFF even more.. They call that a dungeon? or cave?  Blackburrow is a dungeon..  Lower Guk is a dungeon..  It looked like more scripted demo play, that didn't even work.. CRASH!!!!.. and the mobs were less challenging then whack a mole..

Wasn't a sales pitch, it was the weekly update.... I's not meant to sway new customers to landmark.

If you actually watched the stream the you would of known the mobs were not reactive to dave because he was in "god mode".

Seriously, Landmark will be lucky to launch in 2015, and EQN is still YEARS away, if it ever launches..  Anyone notice how the name EverQuest is slowly disappearing from Landmarks title and website?  LOL 

.... They have said some time ago that landmark has departed form the everquest franchise and has become its on entity...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Wow that looks amazing! I want that darksteel sword/shield! And some of the armor looks so cool.

Check out the animation on the chomper-  it gives a really nice tell before it does its spit attack. Looks really exciting. The graphics are still kind of washed out, hopefully that will get polished as well.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Loved both EQ and EQ2 but this looks just awful. Even worse than GW2 although I have no idea how's that possible.
    Originally posted by Nitth

Wasn't a sales pitch, it was the weekly update.... I's not meant to sway new customers to landmark.

If you actually watched the stream the you would of known the mobs were not reactive to dave because he was in "god mode".

Dave was LYING to cover up the sloppy play.. God Mode? Really?  Dave needs to learn to lie better then that.. If mobs like the gnoll creature wouldn't chase and attack him, because he was in God mode, then why was the wisp, plant and others shooting at him?  Did you notice how the wisp would shoot at him, hit him, then 2 seconds later his character reacts to it...... REALLY?

And it was a sales pitch..  WHO ELSE publishes a video 1 hour long to discuss "patch" updates..  This was indeed an attempt to both inform and HYPE the game.. Lets be honest with that.. 

.... They have said some time ago that landmark has departed form the everquest franchise and has become its on entity...

or maybe Landmark isn't doing such a good job with the EverQuest name, and they need to make sure that Landmark doesn't TANK  EQNext before it launches.. Landmark is part of the EQ franchise.. It's not the testing ground for anything else but EverQuest..  If it looks, quacks and walks like a duck, guess what?

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    OMG, I just got up to the new building tools section. Logic tools, particle emitters, trigger zones; man this is becoming like a real game-making tool as well.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Landmark is part of the EQ franchise.. It's not the testing ground for anything else but EverQuest..  If it looks, quacks and walks like a duck, guess what?

i agree Landmark and EQN are intertwined but there are differences

EQN 

- one theme of Norrath

- 40 classes

- many races

- quest / adventure driven (crafter driven for gear/player housing)

Landmark

any theme -- Scifi , Western, Modern, Post Apocalyptic

- one class explorer  but it's not really a class

- one race (human)

- crafter driven

we won't able to test how classes work in EQN until the EQN Alpha is available

Character Classes are an EQN exclusive

Dave was LYING to cover up the sloppy play.. God Mode? Really?  Dave needs to learn to lie better then that.. If mobs like the gnoll creature wouldn't chase and attack him, because he was in God mode, then why was the wisp, plant and others shooting at him?  Did you notice how the wisp would shoot at him, hit him, then 2 seconds later his character reacts to it...... REALLY? And it was a sales pitch.. 

I don't know how they coded the invulnerability. Its entirely possible you are right.

However, Considering what dave said and done the mobs wernt even tracking him apart from ranged dps. so in my book its more than possible that it is in fact the "god mode" messing with the system. Never mind that THEY LAUNCH THE PATCH TOMORROW.... you cant hide/lie from the truth when your scheduled to release the next day.

Either way we will see if their AI is correct tomorrow.

WHO ELSE publishes a video 1 hour long to discuss "patch" updates..  This was indeed an attempt to both inform and HYPE the game.. Lets be honest with that.. 

It happens every week man... people like to get updated with the game progress. Landmark live is a good say to summarize that.http://www.twitch.tv/landmarkgame. how can that not be a good thing to atleast try and be transparent with your customer base?.

or maybe Landmark isn't doing such a good job with the EverQuest name, and they need to make sure that Landmark doesn't TANK  EQNext before it launches.. Landmark is part of the EQ franchise.. It's not the testing ground for anything else but EverQuest..  If it looks, quacks and walks like a duck, guess what?

Doesn't matter what you think, PR has stated that it is not part of the franchise.

Im not trying to change your mind here because it seems that you have very strong opinions about
    EQN/Landmark. but lets get real here:

The train is already on the tracks. its progressing. There is evidence that it is progressing.

Weather landmark is successful or not is going to be judged by customers when its released. speculating endlessly on its demise is just wasting your energy.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Who are they pitching to? Random people that don't follow/play Landmark are watching this? If you've spent anytime on the official forums or Landmark related channels, a lot of fans have been on hold waiting for this patch. No need sale or hype it up.

Mobs don't appear to have Storybricks yet so just the typical mindless agro AI. It is supposed to add "danger" to the world, not have any story or point. Loot and adventure.

Not sure you understand what the Tiers/caves are. While I hope we see more developed "dungeons" with narrow passageways and things lurking behind doors and false walls, that isn't what they are doing yet.

Dave was LYING to cover up the sloppy play.. God Mode? Really?  Dave needs to learn to lie better then that.. If mobs like the gnoll creature wouldn't chase and attack him, because he was in God mode, then why was the wisp, plant and others shooting at him?  Did you notice how the wisp would shoot at him, hit him, then 2 seconds later his character reacts to it...... REALLY?

And it was a sales pitch..  WHO ELSE publishes a video 1 hour long to discuss "patch" updates..  This was indeed an attempt to both inform and HYPE the game.. Lets be honest with that.. 

Good question, why don't all companies do this? Nice to see devs explaining and showing off what a long list of words isn't so clear about.

I'd say it was more to inform and get people excited. I don't see any "Hype" if you mean being shady or overly dramatic to get people to like something. Besides going "This is so cool," not a lot of PR buzzwords or smoke and mirrors going on that I see with SOE lately. I guess being excited and wanting fans to be is evil?

They aren't blowing smoke up our backsides, they simply showed off what they put in and it is live today. No need to wonder. Couple streamers going as I type.

Wasn't a trailer or pre-launch money grab for a non-F2P product. Not sure why SOE would try to trick anyone into Landmark, especially if they are still doing full refunds lol.

So basically if a company says something as fact, you say liar? Makes no sense.

Landmark is a standalone game. While it shares quite a lot of the foundation aspects, it is a totally different project with a different goal. Just happens they are utilizing it for EQN as well, which is pretty smart. Building two games for the price of one. It has no ties to the Everquest universe. If so, please point out the Iksar, Halflings, Naggy, FBSS, and anything else EQ related.

I have little interest in Landmark after EQN is released, but I have Minecraft friends that are really looking forward to where it goes and have no wish to play a more dev driven mmorpg. Although Minecraft: Story Mode might keep them in it a bit longer, can't believe they waited so long to make it.

What did you think of the clothing looks, weapons, skill effects and how it all comes together stat wise?

What about the "shooter" combat? Still too COD or twitchy?

Check out some live streams if you don't play Landmark. Good idea of what is going on, without all the "lies" and "hype."

Since only a few of the more critical posters respond with more then a few words, I'm really curious what it is you don't like beyond "It isn't Everquest."

Ugly items, art style still too cartoony, combat not exciting, stats not complicated enough? What could they do different to make it into something you'd play? In general, it seems fans on the official forums really like the design. Which is why I keep asking those of you that are critical, what is the alternative or better path that doesn't begin with scrapping the whole project and making Everquest with updated graphics.

While I'm obviously a fan of their design, I'm not a blind fanboi. But I do find it hard to believe that someone thinks every single aspect of these games looks/performs badly. I think there is plenty of room for improvement and hope EQN doesn't work exactly like Landmark, but I'm liking the thought process. Such as the weapons/skills have duel purpose so someone can be a "healer" and not just be a heal bot. Would love to see more CC and supportive stuff though.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    It is just one day messing with the pve combat in Landmark and so far.... Garbage. I was soooo looking forward to it hoping it would be worth it but it isnt. And I am not even sure if more skills would help because it just feels off..Still early but if this is even close to 50% of what they are looking for as combat in EQN ( save for extra skills ) then they may as well stop right now.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Seems landmark is really moving forward from a graphically hugely improved version of minecraft to testing grounds for EQ next..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by SlyLoK
    It is just one day messing with the pve combat in Landmark and so far.... Garbage. I was soooo looking forward to it hoping it would be worth it but it isnt. And I am not even sure if more skills would help because it just feels off..Still early but if this is even close to 50% of what they are looking for as combat in EQN ( save for extra skills ) then they may as well stop right now.

What didn't you like? Considering the AI isn't in yet and the mobs are just "danger" obstacles, didn't really think it was bad myself. Not very exciting with only 4 types, but it is the first run at PVE. The limited skills are limiting, but switching between weapons helps and I'm assuming with 12 skills per class that it will be a lot more diverse and entertaining once we can really start making different builds.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I was surprised that performance was as good as it was with the new systems in place. Previously with my 3.16 dual core from '08 I'd get bad hitches every few steps when running around. I still lag but it's smoothed out now.

I like the feel of the ombat but the timing and look of it could use tuning, which is expected since it's in continual development, but it seems to be what they said their aiming for: An active combat hybrid between typical MMO, MOBA and strategy elements.
    Originally posted by Allein

What didn't you like? Considering the AI isn't in yet and the mobs are just "danger" obstacles, didn't really think it was bad myself. Not very exciting with only 4 types, but it is the first run at PVE. The limited skills are limiting, but switching between weapons helps and I'm assuming with 12 skills per class that it will be a lot more diverse and entertaining once we can really start making different builds.

Please keep in mind that this isn't SOE's first Rodeo, and this engine is not new to SOE  (PS2)..  After a couple years they should be able to drive this game on the highway by now, and they aren't even out of the parking lot yet..  If they have no AI at this time for a few mobs to live with, it doesn't look for good for when you add thousands of individual NPC..?????  SlyLok has valid concerns and actually plays the game.. I'm sure he's one of thousands in Landmark that aren't as excited as they were day 1, as play time in Landmark has dropped considerably since it launched.. People are getting BORED with it, quickly, and I think SOE knows it.. 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Allein

Please keep in mind that this isn't SOE's first Rodeo, and this engine is not new to SOE  (PS2)..  After a couple years they should be able to drive this game on the highway by now, and they aren't even out of the parking lot yet..  If they have no AI at this time for a few mobs to live with, it doesn't look for good for when you add thousands of individual NPC..?????  SlyLok has valid concerns and actually plays the game.. I'm sure he's one of thousands in Landmark that aren't as excited as they were day 1, as play time in Landmark has dropped considerably since it launched.. People are getting BORED with it, quickly, and I think SOE knows it.. 

Knowing the Forgelight engine is one thing. Melding it to a procedurally generated voxel world and whatever AI tools they have is another. Comparing PS2 to Landmark because they share the same engine is like saying a banana and orange are both fruits. They are taking mobs the same way they have everything, start simple and make sure it works before adding more functionality. The have done this since day one with the building tools, as noticed by those who have followed it.

Regarding the combat SlyLok has their opinion just like you do. You have no idea about what thousands of people think playing Landmark so I'm really not sure why you would assume to. Yes it did drop in activity due to people checking out the building tools. Even SoE said that they thought only 20% of it's playerbase were "builder" types. Even with my old machine I played around a bit with the combat and enjoyed what they have come up with so far. Has a long ways to go for sure but no one is debating that, especially SoE. It does not, however, speak to the future which very few people seem to be trying to forecast hehe.

What they "could" & "should" do is your opinion. Every game I've played and the companies behind them should of  ........

You assume since they didn't add AI at this time that they don't have it in the studio, be it for one or a thousand NPCs. Could be right, but considering they have an AI outfit working for/with them to make these games, kind of hard to accept they have nothing in the works. Like I said, this was the first run of adding mobs or "danger" to Landmark. It isn't what we'll see in EQN and they've said the AI and player tools to control it will be coming down the road for Landmark. How crazy it will be for LM is still unknown, since it's overall design is completely different then EQN.

Plenty of people have concerns, that's why I asked what they were. Garbage equates to? Same thing I've said to you before. It is easy to be negative, but what could they do different? Where are the constructive ideas and suggestions? For me, they could add in 40+ classes, hundreds of skills, mob AI, and make EQN. People jumping into Landmark expecting deep PVE aren't going to be pleased currently if ever. At least not until players get their hands on the tools to make content on their claims.

I asked you what you didn't like specifically as well. Kind of pointless to have discussion when most of it is "That sucks!" 

Edit:

First "raid" in Landmark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMknm6XW160

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfq3KkFG4Gw

Are you  kidding me.. You call that a raid?.. They call that a raid?   Insane fun?   What I saw  is a DPS gaggle of players ZERGING all the trash mobs in a given area..  I do that all the time in GW2 doing dynamic events.. I sure wouldn't call it raiding.. There was no strategy whatsoever.. If they call that "insane fun", this must be their first MMORPG..   I'm darn near lost for words just how much those 2 vids actually turned me off even more..
          Are you  kidding me.. You call that a raid?.. They call that a raid?   Insane fun?   What I saw  is a DPS gaggle of players ZERGING all the trash mobs in a given area..  I do that all the time in GW2 doing dynamic events.. I sure wouldn't call it raiding.. There was no strategy whatsoever.. If they call that "insane fun", this must be their first MMORPG..   I'm darn near lost for words just how much those 2 vids actually turned me off even more..

I think it was a loose use of the term as it was a large scale PVE event considering the game and stage of development. "Raid" doesn't mean one thing to all of us fyi.

Was there any strategy, AI, organization, or actual mmorpg expected gameplay? Nope.

While I don't know if GW2 is as bad as what was in the video, I think that says a lot about GW2's general design and poor AI most of all.

If you've been following/playing Landmark for that last year, you might consider that event to be "fun" as well. For those that have been toiling away gathering resources, building things, or just running around in Landmark, that was rather exciting and new.

Not sure if you've been part of any Betas in the past, but usually events like that or simply adding in new features is rather exciting.

Obviously we all have our preferences, but so far, PVE in Landmark has been "fun." Is it challenging or anything what I hope EQN turns out like? Heck no. Doesn't detract from what it is though.

I find Minecraft to be very boring, with or without "danger" elements, but the first time I experienced "danger" in MC, it got a bit more entertaining. I see the same thing in Landmark, but the future is much brighter.

While you never respond to my questions as to what might "turn you on," when it comes to these games, I highly doubt anything they have planned will unless the AI blows you away or something. Even then, I'm guessing you'll be like "that's it" regardless if it is a tiny bit or a million times better then current games.

• TrelonistTrelonist Member UncommonPosts: 17

First of all, I don't get the negativity. Obviously, Landmark is in development and subject to change - a lot of change. You seem to completely ignore that fact, ranting about something that will be completely different in a month or two. Your posts, however, will still be online complaining about something that doesn't even exist any more. That's what I call irresponsible - irregardless of the fact that Landmark is NOT Everquest Next, which doesn't really allow to judge EQN based on Landmark. The basic systems or features might be similar, or in some cases the same, the adjustment and final execution, however, will not. 

You two are not only complaining about something that is not going to exist in the near future, you are basing your conclusions on it, leading to false information that might affect other players who browse through these forums. Since there is nothing that I can do about this, except for trying to set the records straight, I hope Karma will do its part. 

"stupidity is its own reward"