Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suffering from MMO A.D.D.

XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

I'm really having a difficult time sticking with a one particular MMO for more than a few weeks.    

I played SWG for 2 years straight and never even looked at another game during that time.   When WoW was launched, I played religiously for years before taking any significant time off between xpacs.

These days, I jump into an MMO and feel very engaged and excited to play for a couple of weeks only to find myself hitting the proverbial wall and jumping to a new game shortly after.

When the WoD xpac dropped, I hoped it would bring an end to this cycle but shortly after hitting 100, I found myself looking at other games to jump into.

There are so many great options on the market these days and I have no problems spending the money on various games but it would really be great to find one to settle into for more than a month.  

If anyone has been in this position and maybe found a game that broke the cycle for them, let me know as I'd love to find a game to call home for a while.  

Comments

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

Alot of people aren't going to agree with my suggestion but I went through the same thing until I found Wildstar.

I used to run a progression Raid Guild in RIFT before it went FTP and as soon as that happened we obviously all disbanded and left, but for quite awhile I floated from MMO to MMO looking for a new home.

Wildstar hit the nail on the head. The community, the intense combat, the awesome dungeons and raids, the community is amazing and despite what trolls will say the game is far from dead and drop 3 was huge and drop 4 happening in january for the game is massive bringing even more great stuff. Its also not going FTP which is a must for me because i'd rather be a paying customer then a product to be exploited in a FTP game.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Love the name of the thread, I would say this afflicts alot of the MMORPG community at large. whether admitted or not.

Unfortunately almost all of them revolve around dailies and cash shop grabs. If you want one that is more about the gameplay, community and immersion then good luck, you will have to pick something older or less populated as the popular trend involves boring, repetitive grinds that are about nothing more than getting better loot or raising your online per capita.

They think they are so smart getting people addicted and I like others am so pissed with the current state of affairs. Locking people in with investments and lack of gameplay, innovation or content or community.

I recommend getting caught up on gaming backlogs of games you own as single player at this point has alot more to offer as at least they have gameplay until MMORPG's once again offers open living breathing worlds. Noone plays together in MMORPG's anymore, they just login to collect.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Why is this even a problem? Just enjoy the multitude of games.

There is no point to force yourself to enjoy entertainment in a particular way. Why even call a game "home"?
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Used to be, there were very few MMOs, thus the notion of playing one for a long time was common because you had very few other options.  Now that there is a lot of options, you run into a new situation, where repeating content ad nauseam isn't as appealing when game X just came out and has all new content to do.  Hence the game hopping that goes on.

It's not so much A.D.D. as a lack of interest in repeating content more than once.  In some MMOs, the content doesn't even change even if you are playing a different faction or class... which makes the idea of creating alts unappealing.

What people want is endless content... problem is, there never was endless content, even back in the old MMOs.

It's not A.D.D. it's short attention span theatre.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I've been in the same situation. I did two things: first, I grabbed a console and focused on console games (of the non-MMORPG variety) for a bit. While any console should do the trick, I picked up a WiiU and have been, very, very happy with that purchase; it's a hugely underrated console in my opinion. Though that may partially be since half my library for the system is Wii games that missed since I skipped that generation of consoles for the most part.

Then two, when I decided to give the genre another go many months later, I jumped into something completely different that the standard fare, which for me was The Secret World. Maybe I was just lucky, since TSW was awesome in so many ways, but that was what worked for me.

The main thing is, if you're not enjoying the games, don't force yourself to stick with them.

<3

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Why is this even a problem? Just enjoy the multitude of games. There is no point to force yourself to enjoy entertainment in a particular way. Why even call a game "home"?

It is a problem if you want to play that way but games no longer support this particular style of gaming. MMOs that felt like "home" and virtual worlds are the ones I've always enjoyed the most.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

Originally posted by Pepeq

What people want is endless content... problem is, there never was endless content, even back in the old MMOs.

No, but it gets close if you play more than one game. I have way more games than I can finish. I don't complain about lack of content. I complain about lack of time.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Try to search web browser online games , though they far from MMO and have a lot of trash mix in , some is pretty good .

Tell the true , nowadays web browser multiplayer game is closer to MMO than normal MMO .

Pretty ironic IMO .

No, but it gets close if you play more than one game. I have way more games than I can finish. I don't complain about lack of content. I complain about lack of time.

And that's why we're getting tons of games with shallow content and near no value. GG

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

Originally posted by Krematory

And that's why we're getting tons of games with shallow content and near no value. GG

"shallow" and "value" is subjective. I have plenty of fun playing video games. If you do not, may be the devs are not targeting your preferences, and it is time for another hobby?

"shallow" and "value" is subjective. I have plenty of fun playing video games. If you do not, may be the devs are not targeting your preferences, and it is time for another hobby?

No, I'm happy playing EVE, one of the last MMOs (not today's online singleplayers) remaining. But maybe the people who should go find another hobby are the ones who are not even playing the games they buy. Sounds more logical to me.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Agreed

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

No, I'm happy playing EVE, one of the last MMOs (not today's online singleplayers) remaining. But maybe the people who should go find another hobby are the ones who are not even playing the games they buy. Sounds more logical to me.

But they ARE playing them, millions of them, you're the one on these forums complaining and not playing them so he is right, you should find another hobby because it sure seems like devs are not targeting your preference.  That's definitely more logical.
  • Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250

People are entitled to an opinion without being to stop playing video games.

Who is not playing the games they buy? "More games than i have time to finish" ... precisely means that i am playing them one by one.

• JafeeioJafeeio Member UncommonPosts: 57

Of course you have MMO A.D.D. when mmos nowadays are just designed as a straight progression game. There is no exploration, discovery or choice where to go and what to do. Your playing experience is molded from the start to go from quest to quest and when you run out of quests there is nothing more to do except for a few raids and pvp arenas (content that I personally couldn't care less about). 

DAoC started with 3 completely different realms (factions), over 30 classes and 12 races, all of which started at different points in the map. That gave you a huge variety in both playing style and landscape. There were no ingame maps, there were no quests that guided you from level range to level range, mobs didn't just linearily increase in strength as you went in one direction. You had to figure that stuff out and guess what, grouping was strongly encouraged. Not only were there classes that simply couldn't solo, grouping was also very benefical for everyone in terms of exp and just plain having fun and having someone to talk to and meet new people. It took me 26 days of /played, or 624 hours to reach cap level (which by no means meant the end of the road) and I never felt bored in all this time. Now I feel bored when I don't reach levelcap in a week because the leveling content is so dull. 

DAoC was developed over 18 months for a little over 3 million Dollars and delivered one of the most immersive game experiences that are out there with great longevity. How did they do it? They focused on providing a coherent game world that you can identify with. Love vikings? Choose Midgard and everything you see will fit that theme from the environment to the lore to the classes and even music. Love old Britain and King Arthur? Choose Albion. Love celtic folklore? Choose Hibernia. I did not even touch Hibernia for a whole year after release and I didn't touch Albion for 2 years even though they both offered fresh new content and classes. I didn't need to, I identified as a Midgard player and there was always a new class to explore or play in the low level battlegrounds or what have you. 

I have talked about this in other topics but MMOs nowadays suffer greatly from overexposure of information both before launch and afterwards. Everything is being spoonfed, datamined and optimized. That's only partly the fault of the developers, but mostly the attitude of players who want to maximize their time and efforts. 

Unfortunately the "new" generation of players has never experienced the true potential of an MMO, a vast world to be explored by you and other players. Getting levels and gear is cool but it shouldn't be the only motivation to log in. 

Singleplayer (or some server-based coop games like DayZ) games have started to offer better game worlds than MMOs and it is a damn shame. Check out The Vanishing of Ethan Carter if you want to see a truly impressive game world that was created by just 5 artists. 

I don't think MMOs are maliciously designed to only hook you for 2 weeks and then have you move on, they have just lost their ways. The best examples would be Wildstar or SWTOR, both games that had industry experts, massive amounts of money and a long development time but failed hard in the stickability department. Incredibly linear design, very little variation in terms of the leveling process and very poor group content except for dungeons. And both were perceived as "too grindy" at launch when the time to level cap surely was only a few days played. 

Originally posted by Jafeeio

I don't think MMOs are maliciously designed to only hook you for 2 weeks and then have you move on, they have just lost their ways.

nah .. i think they have changed their ways instead. Given so much competition, they expect players to hop around. Few play one and only one game anymore.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

I don't think MMOs are maliciously designed to only hook you for 2 weeks and then have you move on, they have just lost their ways.

nah .. i think they have changed their ways instead. Given so much competition, they expect players to hop around. Few play one and only one game anymore.

Exactly, it's more like there are so much more of them these days there's no reason to be playing just one game.  The only reason people stuck to one game in the past wasn't because of quality, it was because they didn't have much choice.

I would love to hear what both of your first and current MMOs are if you would be so kind.  

I would love to hear what both of your first and current MMOs are if you would be so kind.  

First is Kingdom of Drakkar, a precursor of MMO. I played UO beta ... and could not stand it. Very bad (to me) game, and I played some EQ.

There is no "current" MMO per se ... but i play marvel heroes most, aside from STO, and whatever i fancy to spend a few minutes in at the moment.

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

Also its F2P - leave file transfer protocol out of this - and it is coming eventually to WS

No, its not. They are expanding into china and have announced they are not going FTP but nice try.

First is Kingdom of Drakkar, a precursor of MMO. I played UO beta ... and could not stand it. Very bad (to me) game, and I played some EQ.

There is no "current" MMO per se ... but i play marvel heroes most, aside from STO, and whatever i fancy to spend a few minutes in at the moment.

You had some high standards back in the day :D

Most of us played our favorite MMO to the exclusion of all other games because they were so immersive. I used to own most consoles under the sun and frequently buy games for several systems at a time, be it PC, Gameboy, Sega Dreamcast (shortly before the launch of DAoC) but when DAoC came around I stopped buying and playing any other game for years. This was not a question of choice, there was plenty of choice in gaming to be had. Mind you that I didn't even know the term MMO before DAoC. I missed out on the whole PS2 / Xbox 1 era because of one game. Not for lack of funds, just for lack of interest of playing anything other than this one mmo. 

After DAoC I reverted back to being a general gamer and since then nothing has gripped me as much. Some games just have the ability to pull you in, it's different for everyone. Lots of people play thousands of hours of X-Com, Dota 2, Team Fortress 2 (and spend vast amounts of money that could be spent on other games). That doesn't mean they play every game in their respective genres just as much. A hardcore Dota 2 player is very unlikely to play the same amount of League of Legends, Smite or other MOBAs.

You had some high standards back in the day :D

Most of us played our favorite MMO to the exclusion of all other games because they were so immersive.

nah ... just that i have few choices back then.

I wouldn't call standing in line to kill a static spawn "immersive". I would much rather play CoD. I am glad that MMOs are better games now. MH is 100x more fun than anything i have played then ... and they don't even need a persistent world.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Xssiv

I'm really having a difficult time sticking with a one particular MMO for more than a few weeks.    

If anyone has been in this position and maybe found a game that broke the cycle for them, let me know as I'd love to find a game to call home for a while.  

Well about Wod i'm sure it is not only you to blame. :-) Up to Pandaria I used to play in one shot for at least 6 months (just leveling all my 22 alts via questing mainly), then break or few months or shorter, then back to play. After leveled all my alts I played 5 mans. Not any longer. Wod for many reasons is worst expansions so far. This is for the very first time I have already got 4 lv. 100 after SINGLE month (!) .... and left. I just can not believe it. I left. I just could not force my self to return to play more. This as said usually happened only after 6-7 months. Will return to play, will buy next expansion, .... but with so many changes I really do not like I seriously doubt I will ever have again full set of all possible alts. Among other problems Wod feels just like kind of BC2. And I'm not tempted to do BC again with all 22 alts. Simple as that.

And now SWTOR. I'm happy now but I deeply hate removal of different class quests and also side quests not being fully voiced. Yes, it would cost more, but also there will never have so many alts maxed out. Guest now will level few of them and quit. Looking for something else to play.