Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for PvE MMO

JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363

I love PvE. The feel of being useful while healing the group, tanking your way to victory, casting buffs... brilliant.

In the last few years I have only seen games where people just rush to endgame to grind the same one dungeon over and over. This is not my concept of fun. I like the levelling process; the feeling you get when the XP bar reaches the end, with a lightshow followed.

Would like to have a list of popular MMOs right now (that have a solid playerbase) where dungeons and group content is very common. A good dungeon finding window is greatly appreciated (RIFT, FFXIV are great examples)

For now the best one I've seen is FFXIV, as it gives massive bonuses to do at least a dungeon a day, and there are dozens of them, but already maxed out at that game (4 classes at iLVL 100+)

Any alternatives?

Thanks!

Comments

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    i dount think you will find better then FFXIV, but you can try eq2, lotro and wildstar, tho i am afraid all are really top heavy and you will have problems to get a dungeon group on lower levels.
  • JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363

Yeah, that's the problem. People just rush through the game to get to endgame, but miss out on the fantastic levelling experience many games provide. As for wildstar, played the first month. Was extremely bland and generic. Only one dungeon until high level. Pure waste of money and cash

Been several years since last time I played LOTRO. Does it have a dungeon finder now?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

A list of other games you played (and liked or disliked) would help us a lot here....

But the problem with most Western MMOs today is that leveling is a tutorial now, if you want something where leveling is the main game you either need to look on a classic game, something indie or an Asian game.

• Overlord_NeizirOverlord_Neizir Member UncommonPosts: 136

I think you might like Elder Scrolls Online. Its latest update focused alot on dungeons plus they have some great dungeon repeatability because if you go back to the dungeon the monsters and the loot will upscale to your level even if the dungeon was introduced at a low level.

If you like quests then ESO is undoubtedly the best in the genre for it, surpassed only by GW2 and that's really stretching it. At no point are you going to find a quest that asks you to do something trivial like Kill 10 rats, every quest belongs to a long quest-chain and has its own storyline. Some zones are better than others for quests though (The Dominion zones are godawful, while Rivenspire in the Covenant territory is goddamn legendary.).

ESO is also heavy on exploration. There are tons of large solo dungeons and public group dungeons scattered around the world, as well as things such as world bosses, interesting locales similar to GW2's vistas, treasure chests, treasure map hunts and in the next update, bandit dens that will be raidable for loot. Also don't forget its gorgeous graphics and superb art style.

ESO's unique feature is the Justice System which is coming in the next update. It allows you to commit in-game crimes e.g Murder, Theft, Trespassing etc. and if you're caught by guards you'll either be arrested and forced to pay your bounty or be killed on sight depending on your heat level. Then later on will be a PvP aspect where players can become guards and hunt you down (I believe that the PvP aspect is optional, though. Besides, NPC guards are even stronger than players because they're unkillable.).

Here is the list of games tried recently:

- ESO: endgame is PVP-centered, boring levelling, very few dungeons

- EVE: Too PvP centered, next to no PvE, excluding incursions

- EQ2: everyone is max level, nothing for newbies

- WildStar: disappointment. Bland, generic, almost no dungeons

- FFXIV: almost perfect dungeon system. Shame that you need to farm FATEs to level up classes

- GW2: Lack of trinity system bothers me

- TSW: same combat rotation over and over and over and over...

- Rift: not bad, not good, just meh

- Archeage: huge promise, now defiled by russian gankers. PvP game

These are the ones I can remember right now

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Jaldren

- FFXIV: almost perfect dungeon system. Shame that you need to farm FATEs to level up classes

ad ff14: i dont think you need to do fates, you can level by repeating dungeons (imo)

ad lotro: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Instance_Finder

Dude ESO endgame is hardly PvP-centered...and there are about 26 dungeons (Including the 2-hour long Dragonstar Arena and 2-hour-long Shada's Tear) at endgame, plus you can repeat them all as they'll scale up to your level. Have you done raiding? Or the hundreds more quests? Or dungeon pledges? Or Dragonstar Arena? Or delves? Or Craglorn? There's so much you can do in PvE, ZOS has neglected PvPers since forever (Hopefully it should turn around in Update 7)

Btw I don't know how you found leveling boring that's the best bit of ESO. Skipping through the interesting dialogue is what makes it boring tbh.

Originally posted by Overlord_Neizir

Dude ESO endgame is hardly PvP-centered...and there are about 26 dungeons (Including the 2-hour long Dragonstar Arena and 2-hour-long Shada's Tear) at endgame, plus you can repeat them all as they'll scale up to your level. Have you done raiding? Or the hundreds more quests? Or dungeon pledges? Or Dragonstar Arena? Or delves? Or Craglorn? There's so much you can do in PvE, ZOS has neglected PvPers since forever (Hopefully it should turn around in Update 7)

Btw I don't know how you found leveling boring that's the best bit of ESO. Skipping through the interesting dialogue is what makes it boring tbh.

Honestly, I played the first month after release. Buggy mess and boring content. I also love crafting and in ESO it was easily exploitable. Also the guild-based marketplace was a joke. Has the game improved much since then?

Originally posted by Overlord_Neizir

Honestly, I played the first month after release. Buggy mess and boring content. I also love crafting and in ESO it was easily exploitable. Also the guild-based marketplace was a joke. Has the game improved much since then?

Honestly the game now is leaps and bounds above what it was at launch. Nearly every single bug has been fixed including the duplication glitch, plus bots and gold sellers have been eradicated entirely. There's alot of stuff to do now, especially at endgame which has had a new group-based zone introduced to it complete with several large dungeons, lots of questlines, world events and 3 raids (They're pretty hard. The last raid came out in September and no one has managed to beat it on Hardmode yet, not even some of the best guilds are daring to try it.)

The economy isn't too different but guild stores are now public in certain places. All guild stores in keeps are open to the public, and if you bid on a guild trader in any major city you can sell your stuff there. Alternatively you can do daily writs/jobs that will give you some gold and quite a bit of mats, with a rare chance of finding a survey report which will lead you to very rare mats.

Also you might like Dragonstar Arena, which is a new 4-man dungeon for VR12 and up. Enemies come in several waves and will try to kill you, culminating in a boss fight. Once you down the boss, you can collect some blue/purple-quality loot from the chest and continue to the next arena (There are 10 arenas, each with their own style e.g Dwemer Ruin, Swamp, Volcanic) where different types of enemies will come in waves, ending in an even harder boss. This repeats until the 10th arena and gets harder and harder, but the loot gets better and better. In the final arena you fight the grandmaster (He's pretty damn hard if you don't know the tactics) and get some damn nice loot, mostly purple loot from item sets. There is a normal mode where there is no leaderboard and a much harder Veteran Mode where you can be placed on the global leaderboards. Being high on the leaderboards means you get good loot.

There's so much improvements I can't list them all. For a quick summary of the changes go here: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online:_Versions

For a complete summary go here: http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/wiki/returning

Hope I helped :)

Thanks for the such complete reply. Checked the wiki pages you provided and decided to give it another try when Update 6 comes out, early Feb.

Looks great, can't wait to resub!

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Im also a healer, Imo WoW is the best atm. Tried them all, stopped with WoW when cata came amd now im back, just love the lfg in main cities. Always something to do ^^ 

Originally posted by Dragnelus
    Im also a healer, Imo WoW is the best atm. Tried them all, stopped with WoW when cata came amd now im back, just love the lfg in main cities. Always something to do ^^ 

Played WoW when I worked at Blizzard a few year back. Boring. Tried again when cata came out. Even more boring. Now there's pandas, werewolves and pokemon fights. Not for me

Played LOTRO and unfortunately noone uses the dungeon finder. It's all about the endgame.

Now I have to choose between ESO and FFXIV, but I'd love more options.

Any suggestions please?