Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Black Desert: Korean Closed Beta Preview

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"Suffice it to say, the monsters I’ve fought as a newbie player have been pushovers and the quests have been simple."

Quest and mobs most likely we stay very easy, atleast that's my guess.  They just aren't the focus of Sandbox mmorpgs.

Heck in Wushu you got like 1 cultivation point for a quest. Skills sometimes took 600k plus to level. You didn't even have to do the beyond the first couple hours. If BD is like this, I can't wait to give it a go.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226
    Originally posted by bcbully

"Suffice it to say, the monsters I’ve fought as a newbie player have been pushovers and the quests have been simple."

Quest and mobs most likely we stay very easy, atleast that's my guess.  They just aren't the focus of Sandbox mmorpgs.

Heck in Wushu you got like 1 cultivation point for a quest. Skills sometimes took 600k plus to level. You didn't even have to do the beyond the first couple hours. If BD is like this, I can't wait to give it a go.

I've only fought little level 10 runt mobs. I've seen larger ones that may be an issue later on.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

FTP + Korean developer = not touching this with a 10-foot pole.

Although I have to wonder what award-winning web developer put that site together. I'll alert my dead grandmother she has competition.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

FTP + Korean developer = not touching this with a 10-foot pole.Although I have to wonder what award-winning web developer put that site together. I'll alert my dead grandmother she has competition. 

Seconded. Not trying to be judgemental, BUT record speaks for itself. Bots, scams, gold spamming, etc. It happened over and over again.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    YEss

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

FTP + Korean developer = not touching this with a 10-foot pole.

Although I have to wonder what award-winning web developer put that site together. I'll alert my dead grandmother she has competition.

I'll wait to see exactly how they intend to monetize the game before making a final call. That said, with it being a "Korean F2P" I'm not holding my breath on this one...

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I can't wait to spend money in their cash shop!
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Shadowdawnz
    Is there hope that the labor system might not be as rigid as AA's? For me, I like to reserve my criticism until I've played it or at least until more information is given to us in NA/EU by DAUM. I'm optimistic for this title. Even if it fails, i'm hoping the next developer learns from that failure and works toward making their game better. 

Black Desert calls their labor system "stamina points" - works exactly like AA

Gathering resources uses stamina points, as does anything crafting related.

Stamina points regen as you are playing the game, if you don't have enough stamina you can't gather resource or craft etc...

Trade packs use stamina points 

It is so far the same system like in AA.

Folks need to keep in mind many ex-AA devs worked on BD - other than action combat the 2 games are very similar.

Well, that pretty much seals the deal for me. Not touching this one.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Shadowdawnz

You haven't even tried it and yet you judge it so quick?

To each his own..... I mean its your own loss.

The idea of a being able to craft 1000 suits of armor in 2 hours just because you have the mats is more absurd to me, but again - we all have different opinions.

I understand why you like it but imho it would be better if the time it takes to craft something was just longer. Instead of *click* craft for 1 sec and done have it take idk...an hour? something like that. If you are familiar with Fallen Earth f.e. there crafting takes hours sometimes a day or two. Same effect but you don't have those (to me) annoying labor/stamina points.

edit: and there is still an option that the company can make money. In FE it is called crafting tables. They reduce craft time by 90% for 1h. If you buy pots to craft 1000 items or a table is more or less the same in the end.

Also shouldnt the title be "Korean open beta review"?

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

Many character creation previews (because they have nothing else to offer), quest grind, cash shop...

I will pass this time!

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    If it is like AA but without labor points and terrible management/support, I'm in!

Same

3th on this.

And i hope they dont do the same mistake what the NCsoft done with Blade&Soul(no US/EU release and betas)

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Originally posted by flizzer

Ive never completely understood why people get euphoric over character customization. You are wearing armor and often dont see most of your character. WoW has limited customization and is doing fine.  

I spend maybe 2-3 minutes clicking default and jump in to the game.  I must be a special snowflake :)

I love good character customization. Yes, I might not see how my character looks that often, but others do see it. And every time I get new armor, I turn my toon around to see how it looks. If there are cutscenes, my character's appearance matters there too. Different strokes and all, but those are some reasons customization is important to me.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Forgrimm
    If it is like AA but without labor points and terrible management/support, I'm in!

Unfortunately it does have a labor point system.

Labor point systems are fine. Heck I like them. I like them AS LONG AS labor points aren't sold in a cash shop. Age of Wushu is my point of reference. 

Think about it why in the world should someone be able to pound out 50 swords in 10 minutes. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by zzax

Many character creation previews (because they have nothing else to offer), quest grind, cash shop...

I will pass this time!

I think people are doing a lot of character creation shots because it's the easiest thing to understand and it's relatively awesome compared to the competition.

Me, I'm running around in-game right now collecting some of the best screenshots I've ever made in an MMO to date.

Check this out. I had just finished scaling a mountain near a cliffside outpost by the coast and it started raining after I doubt-tapped S to have my character sit on an extremely vertical mountainside. Took another shot after it stopped raining. Notice how the character's skin is noticeably wet in the first screenshot.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Love those screen shots. Can you show a few of your character armor slots or inventory. Also I need to knoew if ther eis a way to turn off the near / far blurr. I adjusted it to off in ArcheAge and it made the game good graphics for me.

ArcheAge was a great game for me until I found that the item cash shop was tied to armor quality level advancement. Hope this doesn't happen in Black Dessert.

More Screenshots please!! :)

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Forgrimm

Unfortunately it does have a labor point system.

Labor point systems are fine. Heck I like them. I like them AS LONG AS labor points aren't sold in a cash shop. Age of Wushu is my point of reference. 

Think about it why in the world should someone be able to pound out 50 swords in 10 minutes. 

For the same reason that someone can swing a huge 2-handed hammer for 2 hours straight without getting tired, or why some guy can shoot fire out of his hands and disenchant a big metal staff into magic dust; because it's a game, and because its fantasy. Labor point systems are the pinnacle of shitty game design. Look at Archeage: people log in, burn through their labor in an hour or less, then afk and beat on a target dummy for the next 23 hours to regen their LP. There's nothing "fine" about that. There's other ways to limit certain types of crafting, such as putting cooldowns on more powerful items, or making those items require a component that has a cooldown associated with it.

Originally posted by Karble

Love those screen shots. Can you show a few of your character armor slots or inventory. Also I need to knoew if ther eis a way to turn off the near / far blurr. I adjusted it to off in ArcheAge and it made the game good graphics for me.

ArcheAge was a great game for me until I found that the item cash shop was tied to armor quality level advancement. Hope this doesn't happen in Black Dessert.

More Screenshots please!! :)

I could take a screenshot of my armor and inventory but it's pretty empty at the moment.

The depth of field (DOF) and field of view (FOV) of those screenshots were customized inside screenshot mode. That's not the normal settings. You can turn off the effects if you want.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Looks interesting. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Merry Christmas or something from me and I guess Black Desert.

When I learned how to tilt the screenshot mode camera, my life changed.

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

So long as :...

~ It's nothing like AA

~ Trion NCSoft Nexon or PWE don't pick it up

~ It's not packed to the gills of exploits, hacks, holes in the design (like in some games where their combat has only 1 role despite their claims that you "CAN" play other roles even though it's useless, ahem cough ahem GW2)

~ It has ample crafting, gathering, non-combat activities that are in depth but not made into a grind like AA did.

~ It has ample housing locations.

~ There's an actual consequence system for PKers (none of that 5 minutes in jail crap we saw in AA)

~ The shop is absolutely restricted to cosmetic only items, and there isn't a sneaky currency conversion system where you buy currency with real money and then use that to progress ( also known as the Chinese Billing Model that seems to have plagued the west now since 2011)

Count me in!

Originally posted by meonthissite

~ It's nothing like AA

~ It's not packed to the gills of exploits, hacks, holes in the design (like in some games where their combat has only 1 role despite their claims that you "CAN" play other roles even though it's useless, ahem cough ahem GW2)

~ It has ample crafting, gathering, non-combat activities that are in depth but not made into a grind like AA did.

~ There's an actual consequence system for PKers (none of that 5 minutes in jail crap we saw in AA)

~ The shop is absolutely restricted to cosmetic only items, and there isn't a sneaky currency conversion system where you buy currency with real money and then use that to progress ( also known as the Chinese Billing Model that seems to have plagued the west now since 2011)

Count me in!

Like AA: a bit, as in they're both mostly sandboxes. Combat's wildly different, as is the world design. ArcheAge feels stale compared to Black Desert. It's like the difference between Aion and TERA for me a couple years ago.

Daum Games is publishing the game outside Korea. They don't seem to have done this before, so it could go either way.

No one knows yet how the game will fare versus cheaters, but chances are it'll be better than ArcheAge. GameGuard is gone, replaced with something else I haven't seen before, and the game engine is custom built by the studio (Pearl Abyss). They should be able to fix any exploits or holes they want to fix.

Every other bush can be gathered from. I don't know how complicated crafting is because I can't understand it entirely yet.

Found an apartment spot tonight when exploring, it's in a gatehouse near an NPC warzone. Really cool visuals.

No idea about PK, haven't been attacked yet.

Haven't heard anything about monetization.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by MarkJW

~ It's nothing like AA

Count me in!

Like AA: a bit, as in they're both mostly sandboxes. Combat's wildly different, as is the world design. ArcheAge feels stale compared to Black Desert. It's like the difference between Aion and TERA for me a couple years ago.

Daum Games is publishing the game outside Korea. They don't seem to have done this before, so it could go either way.

No one knows yet how the game will fare versus cheaters, but chances are it'll be better than ArcheAge. GameGuard is gone, replaced with something else I haven't seen before, and the game engine is custom built by the studio (Pearl Abyss). They should be able to fix any exploits or holes they want to fix.

Every other bush can be gathered from. I don't know how complicated crafting is because I can't understand it entirely yet.

Found an apartment spot tonight when exploring, it's in a gatehouse near an NPC warzone. Really cool visuals.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but neither ArchAge or Black Desert are sandboxes.  They both violate the number one rule of a sandbox, they have classes.  When you restrict character development with a class structure you pigeonhole your character immensely.  You are restricted to class equipment, skills, etc.  That immediately nixes any thought of a sandbox design.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by MarkJW

~ It's nothing like AA

Count me in!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but neither ArchAge or Black Desert are sandboxes.  They both violate the number one rule of a sandbox, they have classes.  When you restrict character development with a class structure you pigeonhole your character immensely.  You are restricted to class equipment, skills, etc.  That immediately nixes any thought of a sandbox design.

ArcheAge allows you to select your own class by combining three archetypes. I consider that pretty freeform.

That aside, I consider games sandboxes by the type of actions you can perform inside the world, not the types of characters that you can create. That's my personal definition.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

That's really not true. Or better yet, maybe that's your rule but it certainly isn't mine.

If a game has classes but "what" I can do is very free form, I"m allowed to level in various ways of my own choosing, I can pick my path and follow it as I choose then "to me" that is sandbox".

There is no number one rule of sandbox game play. or if you were to ask "my" opinion, then the number one rule would be freedom to choose what you do in game. Classes or no classes be damned.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ry7737ry7737 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Guys, the combat system is going to be identical to C9 with only a couple skills on your 1-3 buttons. that should be all i have to say about it. Here tho let me go one step further. im going to do a combo. left click, left click, right click, w, w, s, s, d, shift. yea no fking ty. you can keep this game. now i only look forward to blessed coming out and Albion online. lets hope Albion isn't browser based.