Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No flying experiment has failed in WoD

Comments

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

Flying added to WoW revolutionized the game and the industry to try to expand the MMO world in three dimensions.  What separates games from 2004 before and after is the addition of improved travel systems that, WoW, Eve Online, City of Heroes, Rift, and Guild Wars have brought.

As much as I like UO and Everquest, I don't want to the genre go back to that.  That era is long past which is why no flying experiment in WoW has failed.

Without flying mounts, WoW has the worst travel system in the industry.  Guild Wars, Rift, Eve Online, etc all are superior and even now Everquest II. 

Final Fantasy does it better.

Can't close Pandora's box once it is opened.

• Well, flying in WoW has its good parts. That you can skip the ugly outdated landskapes must be one of the best things with flying.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Hoplites

Flying added to WoW revolutionized the game and the industry to try to expand the MMO world in three dimensions.  What separates games from 2004 before and after is the addition of improved travel systems that, WoW, Eve Online, City of Heroes, Rift, and Guild Wars have brought in my opinion....

As much as I like UO and Everquest, I don't want to the genre go back to that.  That era is long past which is why no flying experiment in WoW has failed in my opinion

Without flying mounts, WoW has the worst travel system in the industry.  Guild Wars, Rift, Eve Online, etc all are superior and even now Everquest II in my opinion

Final Fantasy does it better in my opinion.

Can't close Pandora's box once it is opened, there is no Pandora's box, did you play MoP or any other expansions? This is nothing new....

Well i fixed it for you...luckily everything you said was just your opinion and in no way is fact or how things actually are...nice bump though...not really...

Originally posted by tordurbar

Very disappointed that there is no flying in WOD. Sorry, after leveling up my 4th alt I am tired or riding and walking all over the place.

One of the reasons that WOW is one of my favorite games is flying. It is the closest to real flying you can get and I love the feeling of seeing things from above.

The "flying breaks immersion" argument is laughable. You see griffons and bats carrying people everywhere - and we can't do it? Stupid.

I think that eventually Blizzard will bring it back just due to greed. No flying mount = less money players spend real money on mounts.  I have not bought a mount since WOD started. Bring back flying and I might think about buying another one.

Good post and well said.

The sale of flying mounts in their store has helped them off set maassive sub losses of Cata and MoP. 

Originally posted by tordurbar

Very disappointed that there is no flying in WOD. Sorry, after leveling up my 4th alt I am tired or riding and walking all over the place.

One of the reasons that WOW is one of my favorite games is flying. It is the closest to real flying you can get and I love the feeling of seeing things from above.

The "flying breaks immersion" argument is laughable. You see griffons and bats carrying people everywhere - and we can't do it? Stupid.

I think that eventually Blizzard will bring it back just due to greed. No flying mount = less money players spend real money on mounts.  I have not bought a mount since WOD started. Bring back flying and I might think about buying another one.

Good post and well said.

The sale of flying mounts in their store has helped them off set maassive sub losses of Cata and MoP. 

Ah good thing you forgot to mention they went back up above 10 MILLION with WoD...keep hating buddy lol

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I like having flight on all my characters for old content, just not WOD is fine, I am sure next expansion flight in WOD will be allowed

• KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79

No flying is good when ground level is handled well, I hated MoP it felt brutally like a quest hop. WoD felt much different in the sense that everything is tight and I felt like I was in constant conflict, at times even to getting annoyed when I wanted to walk away. 

Quite simply flying ruined world pvp, remember when you use to ride along a road and pass an alliance/horde just to both turn around and back away slowly to make sure the other wasn't going to kill you.

• TeshrrarTeshrrar Member Posts: 26

I never liked the fly concept of WoW, and only used it to do things which you couldn't do from the ground. I love see the world, I love the tension when you have to walk through a hostile/dangerous region. The sad part was that  I was basicly alone all the time, because the other players was flying.

Strange how today the players have to be forced to do fun actions...

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

I want flying back, it made WoW unique.  People complain about too easy, and not sociable. Yet you are playing WoW, one of the easiest and most solo mmo's there is.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by nate222

The hell. Ground-only transport is one of the big design decisions that help to harken back to the glory days of WoW. Actually having to plan your route and be invested in it makes things far more interesting.

I hope they never allow flying.

I really dont get this "If I dont like it nobody else should have it mentality". WTF is it to you how someone else plays their game, sounds more like a power trip to me. I mean was it really that hard for you to just walk before, you know like not summon your flying mount.

• Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by PrinceDamien
    Well, flying in WoW has its good parts. That you can skip the ugly outdated landskapes must be one of the best things with flying.

I think the comparison between this post's critic of WoW graphics and the link in the poster's signature is very funny.

Maybe it's just me though. Just reminds me last game which failed but where people were praising the "better than WoW" graphics. And those screenshots on the site aren't any better than WoW.

I personally like to explore the world in WoW and only use flying mount when I need to get somewhere ASAP, like when a group is waiting. Other then that I stroll around on the ground exploring. But then again, I only come back to WoW mostly when a new Xpack is released to check out the new stuff.

I like the artstyle WoW has, but it could use a texture update (old content). With each expansion the graphic looks better but the old remains as it did. I know that updating something takes time, especially if it would be a whole gameworld. But if they could I would like the old places to get an update in graphic aswell.

Oh btw, Merry Christmas Everone!

Edit: Reading this over it sounds I only play games with good graphic. -hehe- That was not my point really, as I play games I find fun or interesting and doesn't have to be super gorgeous. My point is that I think Blizz could try to keep everything in the game somewhat similar in graphic quality. Vanilla zones are so different in textures then the new stuff. Why I would like an update to the old ones.

Originally posted by JDis25

I want flying back, it made WoW unique.  People complain about too easy, and not sociable. Yet you are playing WoW, one of the easiest and most solo mmo's there is.

I concur.

This model will not work and will fail because WoW isn't designed this way.  Well stated by the way.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I concur.

This model will not work and will fail because WoW isn't designed this way.  Well stated by the way.

Well that is an odd statement, WoW was designed exactly that way, flying mounts were not introduced until much later down the line and Blizzard were not too sure about that back then. There are far more flight points around now than there used to be back in those days too and they tend to be exactly where you want them to be, you can queue for BG's, Dungeons and Raids, so no need for the long distance travel you used to have to make back then, so really travelling by ground is not that much of a hassle and this was the ideal time to re-introduce it.

I have really enjoyed travelling this way again, having to check out your route, finding things that you would not otherwise see if flying, you feel much more part of the environment again.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I concur.

'It has become an industry standard to have good transportation options for players.  Without flight in WoW, it discourages player exploration and interaction as most players just sit in their garrisons now.'

1 the issue is Garrisons, its another solo player mini game.

2 it is not the industry standard, in fact most if not all other major AAA mmorpg's have not included flying in their game because they understand what it does to the game.

3 Blizzard themselves have now decided flying mounts is damaging for at least some of the time.

I am not a Blizzard fan by a long shot, but taking away flying mounts was a good move.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Hey can you link your account?  I want to see all the raids you complete at mystic or hard or shoot even normal...if you find wow easy you aren't doing all the content.  If you find wow not social that's A YOU problem not the games.  Every time  I'm on IM on voice chat playing with my guildmates.  

Originally posted by Bladestrom

I concur.

'It has become an industry standard to have good transportation options for players.  Without flight in WoW, it discourages player exploration and interaction as most players just sit in their garrisons now.'

2 it is not the industry standard, in fact most if not all other major AAA mmorpg's have not included flying in their game because they understand what it does to the game.

3 Blizzard themselves have now decided flying mounts is damaging for at least some of the time.

I am not a Blizzard fan by a long shot, but taking away flying mounts was a good move.

The AAA MMORPGs that don't have flying in their game have even better transportation methods (eg portals).  Flying mounts still allow a player to interact with the world instead of looking at loading screen.

But a flight path is a long winded loading screen that takes up time regardless of the computer you have.  WoW has the worst travel system in the industry and even if flying mounts would be enabled it would still be mediocre.

WoW has fallen behind with what is currently out there in 2014 and what will be out there in 2015.

Originally posted by Bladestrom

I concur.

The AAA MMORPGs that don't have flying in their game have even better transportation methods (eg portals).  Flying mounts still allow a player to interact with the world instead of looking at loading screen.

But a flight path is a long winded loading screen that takes up time regardless of the computer you have.  WoW has the worst travel system in the industry and even if flying mounts would be enabled it would still be mediocre.

WoW has fallen behind with what is currently out there in 2014 and what will be out there in 2015.

This thread failed a long time ago...but please enlighten us with what MMOs do travel better and why. I can't wait for your reply. Worst travel system lol too funny.

Oh and BTW there are PORTALS all over in WoW. Some classes can even create a PORTAL and PORT you anywhere. Have you ever played WoW?  Just kinda weird you claim "others have better eg portals". But completely leave out the fact WoW has them also. 

Originally posted by Shadoed

I concur.

Well that is an odd statement, WoW was designed exactly that way, flying mounts were not introduced until much later down the line and Blizzard were not too sure about that back then. There are far more flight points around now than there used to be back in those days too and they tend to be exactly where you want them to be, you can queue for BG's, Dungeons and Raids, so no need for the long distance travel you used to have to make back then, so really travelling by ground is not that much of a hassle and this was the ideal time to re-introduce it.

I have really enjoyed travelling this way again, having to check out your route, finding things that you would not otherwise see if flying, you feel much more part of the environment again.

Flying mounts has been with the game for 8 years of level capped content. 

The current flight points are not enough, they are slow, and they use the worst path logic I have ever seen.  Furthermore, I don't want WoW to become a world of queuecraft by sitting in a garrison waiting for BG, Dungeon, or raid queues. 

Flying mounts enable exploration of the world at level cap and encourages players for achievements, archeology, pet battles, etc. 

This expansion is a failure because they stripped away incentives to explore the world at level cap and they introduced massive time sinks or gates on everything (eg professions).

• feztoniofeztonio Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I'm mostly a bit put off by they pre-sold a flying mount as part of the fancy digital pre-order, knowing full well flying wasn't going to be a part of the expansion.  that seemed a bit shady...
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by feztonio
    I'm mostly a bit put off by they pre-sold a flying mount as part of the fancy digital pre-order, knowing full well flying wasn't going to be a part of the expansion.  that seemed a bit shady...

yeah so shady that they sold it months before when people are still in Pandaria and able to fly and the mount can still be used in WoD....So shady  image

Originally posted by Shadoed

I concur.

Flying mounts has been with the game for 8 years of level capped content. 

The current flight points are not enough, they are slow, and they use the worst path logic I have ever seen.  Furthermore, I don't want WoW to become a world of queuecraft by sitting in a garrison waiting for BG, Dungeon, or raid queues. 

Flying mounts enable exploration of the world at level cap and encourages players for achievements, archeology, pet battles, etc. 

This expansion is a failure because they stripped away incentives to explore the world at level cap and they introduced massive time sinks or gates on everything (eg professions).

Man you keep failing...I see you are attempting to ignore my last post because it put you in your place hint hint PORTALS.  And now a few more fails.   In every expansion flying was NOT available at launch even at level cap until a patch opened it up.  

if you sit in your Garrison waiting for a queue that is a YOU problem not a game problem.  During every expansion even after flying was unlocked people sat in cities queing for stuff,  that's again wasn't the games fault it was the PLAYERS choice. 

So you can't do achievements, exploration, archeology, or pet battles from the ground?  That's weird I know a lot of people in my guild who are currently doing them ALL!  

Everything is NOT gated!  It always took you 28 days to craft the best items, you can actually do it in less time in WOD and you don't even need to go through th pain of leveling up the profession to 700 although there are incentives to do so like the mount at 700 leather worker.  

have you even played WoD?  Everything you QQ about is inaccurate and a borderline lie.  Can you post a link up your main?  I'd love to see what you have actusly done if anything at all in WoD.  

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    No flying was one of the reasons me and my friends started playing again.  So much easier to find world PVP now and at instance entrances.  People can't "skirt" around confrontation anymore, I love it.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by goboygo
    No flying was one of the reasons me and my friends started playing again.  So much easier to find world PVP now and at instance entrances.  People can't "skirt" around confrontation anymore, I love it.

Translation: "we can grief people who want to run instances again, love it."

Hmm not griefing just conflict.  Without the human element of confrontation games get boring.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

The only thing that failed is this thread. No flying in WoD has been one of the best design choices Blizz has made for WoW in years, and the vast majority of its players agree.

I mean...just look at this thread...when was the last time mmorpg.com had pretty much a consensus on something WoW "did right"?

PS...I absolutly LOVE the OPs comment of "The AAA MMORPGs that don't have flying in their game have even better transportation methods (eg portals)."

Something tells me the OP has never even played WoW.....

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Translation: "we can grief people who want to run instances again, love it."

Hmm not griefing just conflict.  Without the human element of confrontation games get boring.

Somebody is standing outside a PVE instance in PVE gear waiting to enter and a PVP player attacks him -  That's called Griefing  He has no intention to PVP, and if you kill him he is going to have to run back to the instance, risk being ganked again, carry damage to his gear which means he has to repair sooner and generally waste his time.  The fact that he is standing outside a PVE instance should be a clue that he does not want to PVP - why exactly do you want to attack him again instead of looknig for a real PVP fight?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D