Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Repopulation: Early Access Begins, NDA Lifts

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Might be another ArcheAge in the making:  Pre launch the game is golden; game launches and it all falls apart.  
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Looking at Steam Stats it doesn't look like it was a very good first day for the Devs, unless people are buying it and not playing it that is, which I highly doubt.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Might be another ArcheAge in the making:  Pre launch the game is golden; game launches and it all falls apart.  

ArcheAge was a joke from the start. I saw right through all the hype on that one.  To the point it was actually confusing to me how so many people were so amped over the game.  It looked like 3D anime Farmville to me. /shrug

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by flizzer

ArcheAge was a joke from the start. I saw right through all the hype on that one.  To the point it was actually confusing to me how so many people were so amped over the game.  It looked like 3D anime Farmville to me. /shrug

I got suckered into that one.

It's called "wishful thinking."

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    on the fence about this one...in theory it sounds amazing - but so many mmos and especially indie sandboxes do...and then the execution is a chore... idunno
  • rhan101277rhan101277 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by andre369
    This looks so clunky... When a trailer doesnt seem smooth, something is wrong.. 

The game is in phase 4 alpha and early access that is what is wrong.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Looking at Steam Stats it doesn't look like it was a very good first day for the Devs, unless people are buying it and not playing it that is, which I highly doubt.

The majority of players aren't using the Steam client. It is currently #1 on the Top Selling Massively Multiplayer list though including Early Access and Released titles.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    This is the first game I have played where there is a DM ingame almost all the time answering questions and helping people out.  It feels like they actually care about their community.  Comparing this to Archeage just feels wrong.  I only payed $25 a few months ago to get in the alpha, which also got me a steam key.  There's nothing wrong with that.  There's no $10k castle or $5k spaceship......
  • LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

i see a lot of questions and assumptions about this game, but why don't you guys just take your time and visit their homepage  to get your answers and be informed. well, it could take a time, because there is a lot to read. and thats good. finally a dev team that laid down their game concept in details.

and because its an indi developer, which had the basic funding covered by 'normal investors' and crowdfunding is only an addition to have more features and content ready on release, i don't mind to pay for alpha or early access. its like my private investment in an idea.

Originally posted by rhan101277
    Originally posted by andre369
    This looks so clunky... When a trailer doesnt seem smooth, something is wrong.. 

The game is in phase 4 alpha and early access that is what is wrong.

thats not gonna change...small indie studios do not have the ressources to overhaul animations or complete systems, they can just add or slightly alter values and the such...combat is gonna stay like this

Originally posted by Lanfea

i see a lot of questions and assumptions about this game, but why don't you guys just take your time and visit their homepage  to get your answers and be informed. well, it could take a time, because there is a lot to read. and thats good. finally a dev team that laid down their game concept in details.

and because its an indi developer, which had the basic funding covered by 'normal investors' and crowdfunding is only an addition to have more features and content ready on release, i don't mind to pay for alpha or early access. its like my private investment in an idea.

the problem is - in theory all that stuff, the features sound amazing - its the execution that makes or breaks a game...and im still very cautious from what ive seen

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

It's a PvP centric MMO. 

1. MMO being the smallest market share genre.

2. PvP being the smallest MMO sub-set.

Really not hard to figure this out.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The game does interest me. But I'm not too sure about buying it right now.

It's not that I mind the bugs and troubles too much, but it's usually the lag and such which amplifies the worst parts of the game while leaving the best parts covered.

I find that I usually get burned out from early access games before they launch that way.

The "FPS combat" in this also very much reminds me of something like Fallen Earth, which means slow and silly (though perhaps still fun). I don't understand why games go for FPS style if they can't do it right honestly, they'd be better off with interesting ability combos on hotkey-based system then.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by azzamasin

It's a PvP centric MMO. 

People on steam are nuts about PvP centric sandboxes in early access.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by nate1980
    This is the first time I looked into this game, but is it me or does the game look like it ripped off a lot from SWG? I don't mean inspired, but literally ripped off. I remember that  UI look, the color, and font from SWG. I also remember that character creation phase. Melee is running around with glowing swords, and they've introduced Bio-Engineers and Entertainers. 

It does look like blatant copy of SWG. But then i guess that is what they were going for?

It has a very low quality indie feel to it so we will see how it goes. So far indie titles have been nothing but disappointment.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Its looking like there is potential in there..  It's way too early for me to give it a whirl though.....

Been burnt a few too many times...

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i loved how they progressed so far, for a while i thought they will never go further than an early closed betas, grats for them !!!

now can anyone help them to unite their world with Star Citizen ??? xD

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by d_20
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Retired
    Originally posted by Sketch420

Pay to alpha test a game that will be completely free?

God I hate how this industry treats its fans, especially ones interested enough to spend their time testing an unfinished product.

OH NO!!! Pay 35 bucks for a game with no release date that could come out a year from now. Sorry will be having fun right now, while you wait. See you all in game.

I would say now would be the best time to enjoy it. Once it launches F2P, something's gonna roll downhill.

This is what I'm worried about. I just don't like f2p with a cash shop and I don't trust it.

What kind of cash shop will it be? Is it an iron-clad guarantee to be cosmetic only? Why can't this game be supported by subs?

I need to know what kind of cash shop this will be.

This is not enough. The game is supposed to be a player driven, crafting based economy? The items in the shop have to be Account / Character bound. Otherwise, items that can be traded in-game will translate into a borked economy. If they launch this game with the ability to translate real cash into game currency, combine that with the ability to make F2P accounts, it's pretty much game-over at that point.  

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

God I hate how this industry treats its fans, especially ones interested enough to spend their time testing an unfinished product.

OH NO!!! Pay 35 bucks for a game with no release date that could come out a year from now. Sorry will be having fun right now, while you wait. See you all in game.

I would say now would be the best time to enjoy it. Once it launches F2P, something's gonna roll downhill.

This is what I'm worried about. I just don't like f2p with a cash shop and I don't trust it.

What kind of cash shop will it be? Is it an iron-clad guarantee to be cosmetic only? Why can't this game be supported by subs?

This is not enough. The game is supposed to be a player driven, crafting based economy? The items in the shop have to be Account / Character bound. Otherwise, items that can be traded in-game will translate into a borked economy. If they launch this game with the ability to translate real cash into game currency, combine that with the ability to make F2P accounts, it's pretty much game-over at that point.  

I agree with you on that. However, I'm not entirely sure it's 100% accurate. Actually the biggest problem in MMOs is maintaining a balanced economy, so even those who aren't selling items direct through a cash shop experience these same issues with borked economies. The trick is pulling gold out of the economy as well, meaning if they're going to do cash shop stuff, maybe selling mats for real money + in-game gold could work? Then you're taking gold out of the in-game economy and also getting some money for the game. I'm not convinced selling things like materials through a cash shop can't work. I didn't really like the way AA implemented it (since they were actually limiting your ability to do stuff), but I think it CAN be done. I don't know how, but I'm sure it can. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I like the look of this game but I think I'm going to get the early access to H1Z1 instead . I'm a big fan of the zombie genre . 
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I agree with you on that. However, I'm not entirely sure it's 100% accurate. Actually the biggest problem in MMOs is maintaining a balanced economy, so even those who aren't selling items direct through a cash shop experience these same issues with borked economies. The trick is pulling gold out of the economy as well, meaning if they're going to do cash shop stuff, maybe selling mats for real money + in-game gold could work? Then you're taking gold out of the in-game economy and also getting some money for the game. I'm not convinced selling things like materials through a cash shop can't work. I didn't really like the way AA implemented it (since they were actually limiting your ability to do stuff), but I think it CAN be done. I don't know how, but I'm sure it can. 

Ehhhhh........I don't know about that. I think mats would be some of the worst things you could introduce. It would circumvent the whole gathering process and bring money in waayyyyyyy to quickly allowing whales to gain huge advantages very early on. And in a player economy, that means cornering markets and establishing their "power base" before others and setting the tone of the game.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Ehhhhh........I don't know about that. I think mats would be some of the worst things you could introduce. It would circumvent the whole gathering process and bring money in waayyyyyyy to quickly allowing whales to gain huge advantages very early on. And in a player economy, that means cornering markets and establishing their "power base" before others and setting the tone of the game.

Totally agree that they can't do anything that drastic at launch. All I'm saying is that it's possible. I thought you were talking specifically about mats, my bad. I don't think it has to, necessarily, circumvent the gathering process. It can actually work with the economy. I played this game once called Spiral Knights and they had an interesting system where you could buy premium currency with in-game gold, but players could also sell into that market. So the cost was in constant flux. I guess it would be similar to the GW2 marketplace too. 

Also, with a self-balancing system like this it could be beneficial to be a gatherer and also a whale. Whales can buy stuff with real money when "in-game gold" prices are really high while gatherers can wait for prices to increase before putting their materials into the market. It "theoretically" works, it's the practical part I have no idea about. Not saying that's what I'd like to see, but I also don't want to see time gating of any sort. Like with WoW, most recently, they have implemented cooldowns on your generation of premium materials, which is great to prevent the hyper-levellers from getting stuff too quickly, but it's also a massive barrier for people like me playing a couple hours a day because it means we're having to wait longer and longer to get gear we need for our progression. Or we simply need to pay the piper and buy from the AH. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Looks as if Warframe, Mass Effect, and elements of Trove had a sweet MMO love child. I'm pretty much sold, this game was not on my radar at all. Nice surprise.  
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    Originally posted by azzamasin

It's a PvP centric MMO. 

People on steam are nuts for about 3 weeks about PvP centric sandboxes in early access.

Fixed it for ya.... the enthusiasm doesn't last in early access

Highlighted some points you may have missed...

Totally agree that they can't do anything that drastic at launch. All I'm saying is that it's possible. I thought you were talking specifically about mats, my bad. I don't think it has to, necessarily, circumvent the gathering process. It can actually work with the economy. I played this game once called Spiral Knights and they had an interesting system where you could buy premium currency with in-game gold, but players could also sell into that market. So the cost was in constant flux. I guess it would be similar to the GW2 marketplace too. 

Also, with a self-balancing system like this it could be beneficial to be a gatherer and also a whale. Whales can buy stuff with real money when "in-game gold" prices are really high while gatherers can wait for prices to increase before putting their materials into the market. It "theoretically" works, it's the practical part I have no idea about. Not saying that's what I'd like to see, but I also don't want to see time gating of any sort. Like with WoW, most recently, they have implemented cooldowns on your generation of premium materials, which is great to prevent the hyper-levellers from getting stuff too quickly, but it's also a massive barrier for people like me playing a couple hours a day because it means we're having to wait longer and longer to get gear we need for our progression. Or we simply need to pay the piper and buy from the AH. 

I think the Non-P2W cash shop works in GW2 due to one basic mechanic. Gear Progression plateaus early. I can see a similar case for that here too. However, the bigger difference between the 2 games is that GW2 did not try to create a player based economy. Actuallly, IMO, GW2 has one of the worst game economies in any MMO. I am highly doubtful that a small indie developer is going to accurately balance the ability for players to translate real money into the game without compromising the player-driven aspect of it.

We've seen what Trion did when players started to corner a particular market in the game. making ArcheAge's "player-driven" economy an illusion.