Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Repopulation: Early Access Begins, NDA Lifts

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Fans of The Repopulation will be glad to hear that the Steam Early Access program has started. Along with that heady news also comes the announcement that the non-disclosure agreement (NDA) has lifted that will give the opportunity for much more information to be learned as players are given the opportunity to write and speak about their experiences. To celebrate these two big announcements, The Repopulation's team has put together a new video. Check it out!

The biggest news is the launch of Alpha Round 4 this weekend. This will be the final stage of alpha testing, and includes a new client and three new servers: One in central Europe, and one on each U.S. coast. Invites went out this weekend to all of our backers, be sure to check your mailboxes. If anyone hasn’t received an email yet, please contact us using the Support System.

We are also happy to announce that the Repopulation has hit Steam Early Access this morning. As a special Christmas gift you will be able to purchase Gold Memberships at a 15% discount over the holidays. Backers from Kickstarter or our on-site Early Adopters will also soon have the option of using the Steam Based Client if they prefer.

Read the full announcement on The Repopulation site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

You can still pay directly and get Platinum membership & store credit too at 

https://www.therepopulation.com/crowdfunding/projects/the-repopulation-round-4/

Finally people who haven't backed the game will get to see exactly why old school MMO gamers are so excited for The Repopulation!

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    That trailer just have me a Pre-NGE boner.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Great idea. To bad about HeroEngine, it maks the game really hard to like, unless fighting the UI is your thing...

Edit: I do hope they fix the UI experince though, as there are some really good ideas in there.
  • F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

Pay to alpha test a game that will be completely free?

God I hate how this industry treats its fans, especially ones interested enough to spend their time testing an unfinished product.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    I like it so far.
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Sketch420

God I hate how this industry treats its fans, especially ones interested enough to spend their time testing an unfinished product.

This is a small group making a niche mmo with no big time investors. Gotta pay the bills somehow!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Shaping up pretty good :) 

I need more pvp info!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    I assume RipperX will have some videos out for this soon. Looking forward to getting some deep details on the PvP and seeing how well it works. I don't have time to play currently, but going ahead and buying it while it is 15% off.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

You can view it that way, or you can view it based on the abilities you get as a result of backing it. Personally, I backed it at the Gold level specifically because I wanted the OPTION of becoming a mayor and running a player-built city. Being that I have 4 sons, it's entirely possible we'll be playing together and we might want to run a city, so one of us should have that. Plus, I got $25 in-game store credit, plus I got 2 repop tokens (which let you purchase exclusive, limited, backer-only cosmetic items).

Now you can buy-in at a Gold Membership level for $40, instead of $50, but you get one less repop token and $25 less in-game store cash. So buying in earlier was an advantage and it could still, possibly, be an advantage because you don't know what it's going to cost to purchase that Gold Membership at launch. It could be strictly supply and demand. 

I'm not saying some people won't pay for early access, but I have played all of a couple hours so far, so I'm not that audience. I think there's this stigma about "paying to alpha test" mentality surrounding crowd-funding, but it's not always relevant. There are many times that people back these games because they're getting good value for their dollar. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    With respect to paying for alpha .... don't get caught up in game launch timelines..... if you can, hold off until 6 months after launch to jump in, bugs are worked out, servers are stabilized, and you can have a decent enjoyable and more efficient experience.
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    With respect to paying for alpha .... don't get caught up in game launch timelines..... if you can, hold off until 6 months after launch to jump in, bugs are worked out, servers are stabilized, and you can have a decent enjoyable and more efficient experience.

Unless you you have the patience to not go on a forum rampage about every bug or lag spike you run into.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    cool. cant wait to play a pet maker or something simular.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    This is the first time I looked into this game, but is it me or does the game look like it ripped off a lot from SWG? I don't mean inspired, but literally ripped off. I remember that  UI look, the color, and font from SWG. I also remember that character creation phase. Melee is running around with glowing swords, and they've introduced Bio-Engineers and Entertainers. 
  • sirozzysirozzy Member UncommonPosts: 30
    thats because its made by SWG vets.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Looks promising. It's blip on my radar just got bigger.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

OH NO!!! Pay 35 bucks for a game with no release date that could come out a year from now. Sorry will be having fun right now, while you wait. See you all in game.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

Official Live Twitch Stream

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

Just a warning, despite this trailer looking like it has real aiming it is tab targeting.

I was interested and then saw some actual gameplay footage and the tab targeting combat and bad ai looks like a joke.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    This looks so clunky... When a trailer doesnt seem smooth, something is wrong.. 
  • icosta27icosta27 Member Posts: 4
    Entertainer... oh god. This is where MMO prostitutes will be made true LOL
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Just a warning, despite this trailer looking like it has real aiming it is tab targeting.

I was interested and then saw some actual gameplay footage and the tab targeting combat and bad ai looks like a joke.

There are two modes: tab targetting and FPS mode. You probably saw them playing with tab target mode.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250

Try the middle mouse button, you can switch......

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

As opposed to risking millions of dollars in capital and being forced by the lender to develop in their fashion to prioritize profit or substance.  No thanks.  This is the best thing for indie MMO development.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Retired

OH NO!!! Pay 35 bucks for a game with no release date that could come out a year from now. Sorry will be having fun right now, while you wait. See you all in game.

I would say now would be the best time to enjoy it. Once it launches F2P, something's gonna roll downhill.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Retired

I would say now would be the best time to enjoy it. Once it launches F2P, something's gonna roll downhill.

This is what I'm worried about. I just don't like f2p with a cash shop and I don't trust it.

What kind of cash shop will it be? Is it an iron-clad guarantee to be cosmetic only? Why can't this game be supported by subs?

I need to know what kind of cash shop this will be.