Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoR: BioWare gives the middle finger to the players

1235»

Comments

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Calgor
    Originally posted by Archlyte

...because no amount of abuse or wrongheaded development is punished by the players. This Game continues to be a travesty because they enjoy large numbers of users. Stop playing, get your guild to stop playing, get as many people to quit as possible,  and then maybe you might see something happen. Bioware has no incentive to do even minor tweaks to stuff they have already enacted, because they know no one will actually leave.

Just about anything that could have been done to abuse the players has been done, and the players keep coming back for more. If you play SWTOR you deserve what you get.

Stop playing a game I like to play because a few whiners who hardly ever play are whining? Nah, the people who can't bother to play enough to make the easy credits will leave and the rest of us will go on playing.

After 3.0 hit I had 3 slicers getting Adaptive Circuitry for the the new augments and one Synthweaver making the new augs and I made 15 million credits in a little over a week. I'd log in and get my slicers companions out on missions and then log out and watch an episode of like Alias or Star Trek (which takes about as much time as the missions take). Then I'd log back in and grab any of the circuitry I got, send them to my Synthweaver to craft into augs, toss the ones I'd made onto the GTN, then after sending my companions back out on slicing missions I'd log out again. Rinse and repeat.

TLDR: I made millions a day while only being in game for a few hours total. So people who can't be bothered to do any one of the things you can do to make easy credits can go find something else to play and it won't hurt the game at all.

Well I obviously wasn't talking about you. No I am talking about the people who play SWTOR just because there isn't anything else to play (Star Wars, Burnt out on WoW, etc.). There is always a core audience for any game that is essentially the whipped dog that loves the linear treadmill to nowhere so much that nothing will exercise them from the game.

If you find more than three constant annoyances with SWTOR you should leave. Those will never change.

Why on earth would they change? What fool of a developer is going to tailor their game for the dabblers who only play cause they are bored with some other game? The game hoppers who don't have the attention span to play a single game for more than a few weeks, those who want everything for nothing and they want it all a week ago. Any game made for them would blow goats and isn't going to last  a month. Besides they already have those game, they are called console games.

And you call it a linear treadmill, I call it willing to put some time and effort in to a game to get somewhere as opposed to just getting it handed to you cause you did the one thing once already.

Well I enjoyed how you attempted to reframe my description, but the truth is that SWTOR offers one of the most limited end game experiences, and essentially dead ends. That game is the no-context MMO, where everything you do only matters right now in the instance, and then you wake up and go back to the fleet (ship, stronghold, etc.). A few weeks is all you will get out of SWTOR for the average player, so they should just vote with the wallet and leave.

They won't, don't, and cannot change the game to any degree, so you have nothing to worry about. 5 years from now you will be running the same Ops as you work your way to level 150.

Reframe the discussion? you start out thusly "Well I obviously wasn't talking about you. No I am talking about the people who play SWTOR just because there isn't anything else to play". So ya you were talking about them changing the game to suit those who are dabbling because some other game burned them out. And again I ask why on earth they would change their game for that type of player?

Limited end game experiences? Its right on par with all other MMOs. 9 Operations (Raids), 24 Flashpoints (Dungeons), PVP, Dailies, Crafting/GTN (Auction Hall). I have to wonder if you've ever played an MMO before? I am thinking you haven't because they all dead end to a degree and a lot of them with much less content at endgame that SWTOR. What it comes down to is either you like it or you don't, which is why those who don't leave and the rest of us have fun.

The same OPs? They are always releasing new OPs a couple times a year (averaging 3 a year), so now I know you don't actually play the game at all (or have any real knowledge of it) and in the future I can simply write off your posts as uninformed babbling instead of trying to engage someone who refuses to have a clue.

No, you seem to be hell bent on simply twisting what was said, so go ahead. You are not my concern anyway because you clearly have no ability to discern the difference between the systems and features that exist as a whole within the genre and the very limited offering provided by your pet game. I applaud Bioware for identifying that there would be a band of people with low standards who would not only keep playing SWTOR, but would ardently defend it. There is light outside the cave, but you will never see it as Bioware has convinced you that only the shadows on the cave walls are real.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Bad design imo. If executed better, they would have at least credited the skills you lost by this update. So that anyone would have the credits to repurchase. This is what would make sense imo.

But then I think having to purchase combat abilities is stupid design to begin with. Recipes, armour repair, yes. Combat abilities should never be a coin sink!

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Well since they are removing the ability costs altogether, I guess this conversation is pointless now, no?
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

Well, I know this sentiment is going to be buried in subsequent posts, and sorry if it's been mentioned, because I didn't fully read every post above.

Games need "coin sinks" or in-game expenses in an attempt to render some control of volume. If you never have to dump game currency into a "hole" where it disappears, you effectively create unlimited amounts, depreciating the value of currency across the board.

If everyone has 13g, is it impressive to have 1p? Certainly if it's your first plat it has sentimental value. Now, if everyone has 10p, what are you going to buy with 1p? If 1000 people have 1000p, what's your 1p going to buy? If everyone, everywhere, was always forced to pay a sort of "tax", very few would accumulate 1000p, and that 1000p would carry some real weight in a trade.

All I'm seeing in this is a sort of "surrender", that the volume of in-game currency has reached a point, these small fees have become so inconsequential, they're making better pr removing them than placing that given control on the economy. So, what they'll have to do in the next 6 months is raise the max bank account for f2p, because the set amount will mean jack. Real entrepreneurs will have cash volume in the billions and quasi-useless, extreme low-level items like weapon crystals on market will balloon in cost 5 times. So, you'll need to have cash in the millions to have any real clout.

I mean, hey, if that's what you want, cool. You're gonna get it.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu
    Well since they are removing the ability costs altogether, I guess this conversation is pointless now, no?

LOL agree, but hey... beating a dead horse is fun I guess..... the cost was removed several days ago folks. 

I spent credits for abilities on my first toon, but I am not going to rant about it. Things like that happen in every MMO. 

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1

Games need "coin sinks" or in-game expenses in an attempt to render some control of volume. If you never have to dump game currency into a "hole" where it disappears, you effectively create unlimited amounts, depreciating the value of currency across the board.

<snip>

All I'm seeing in this is a sort of "surrender", that the volume of in-game currency

Totally agree with Sevenstar that this thread should have died days ago; Bioware scored an own goal (twice!) but subsequently rectified it.

For Adjuvant's benefit however a key point is that there is a (fairly low) credit cap for non-subscribers. So rather than 13g or 1p think maybe 2g.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by gervaise1
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1

All I'm seeing in this is a sort of "surrender", that the volume of in-game currency

Totally agree with Sevenstar that this thread should have died days ago; Bioware scored an own goal (twice!) but subsequently rectified it.

For Adjuvant's benefit however a key point is that there is a (fairly low) credit cap for non-subscribers. So rather than 13g or 1p think maybe 2g.

Yes, and I said they'll have to raise that, because the first person being punished walking into a new game with a horrendously inflated economy is the new guy, specifically the guy just trying the game out, and it's going to amount to exactly beans, not even a hill of beans, just... beans.