Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFG: Fun-first, easy, kick-butt MMO, PvE, Solo-friendly, god-mode feeling

SindyrSindyr Member UncommonPosts: 14

So I am looking for an MMO to play. Let me start with dealbreakers, things I *don’t* want:

* Don’t like coerced grouping: I like to be able to go out and solo, get stuff done on my own, and not have to bring any friends along.

* Don’t like PvP. I loathe PvP utterly (including RvR and GvG). If I am going to interact with other players it will be to work WITH them against a computer controlled NPC.

* Don’t like twitch/action combat. I am a strategist and tactician, not a teen hopped up on Red Bull. If I wanted to play something “actioney” I would be on my Playstation.

* Don’t like reticle targeting: the above leads to that I do NOT like having to manually target mobs, my aiming should not be in play, only my CHARACTER’S aiming (and dodging, etc). I stand by the good ol’ system of tab to select the target, fire the power off, the character does the rest, including turning to face the target if necessary.

* Don’t like manual dodging: obvious, from the above – my character’s stats should decide whether he gets hit, not my mousework.

* Don’t like depowered feeling: I don’t mind grinding through missions or quests, but don’t make me feel like my character is a wimp!

* Don’t like lack of sizzle: If my character is kicking ass, I want flashy colorful particle effects to show that! And the sounds of glory, of my character kicking butt!

* Don’t like WoW’s art style: for some reason, I just can’t stand WoW’s art style – but I have little issues with the Art style of Champions Online, WildStar, GW2, etc.
* Don’t like endgame play: usually, instead of engaging in endgame play – which is usually *too* grindy for me, I shelve the existing character and begin the journey anew with a new character from 1 to max level.

* Don’t like Melee: I like to fight from range usually. In fantasy, typically some kind of offensive mage, in supers, a blaster type.

* Don’t like SciFi/Tech: I don’t want to play a guy with a gun. I want to play a guy with extraordinary power – in tech terms I could be Psi/The Force/Nanotech and be happy – but it still looks pretty magical/powerful.

* Don’t like Isomorphic games: I don’t want to play 2D or 2.5D games, I want a fully 3D game, with both 1st person and 3rd person views.

* Don’t like Browser games: I prefer a download I can install and run.

* Don’t like punishing death penalties: I’m in this for fun, not stress, challenge, and “testing” myself. Hell, I play my single player video games in god-mode!

My desired playstyle: effective levelling soloing or occasionally in casual pickup groups. (This assumes the game isn’t so hard that a casual pickup group is usually doomed to failure.) I like to play methodically, taking my time to set up each mob group with the best alpha strike and strategy. If I have some cooldowns that have a few seconds left, I would rather pause before going into the next mob group than rush in at less than full power.

I don’t mind the grind, given that progress isn’t *too* slow. I would like to go from 1 to max level in about one to three months of casual play, gaining levels and new powers/abilities consistently along the way. This would be at about an hour or two average per day.

I prefer games where there are a LOT of BIG choices to be made about progression all along the way. Where intense theorycrafting and build choices can truly minimax one’s character to a very high degree (during the journey from 1 to max level, not endgame.)

Having new or cutting edge graphics is NOT a requirement for me. Outdated graphics (to some degree) don’t bug me as long as the graphics come from *some* time in the past 5-10 years!

With proper thought and methodical planning, being killed by mobs should be an *extremely* rare occurrence that almost never happens, even if my mouse/twitch skills are lacking – because I have prepared to thoroughly, my amazingly synergistic choices in my build and levelling, and approached each combat with many options and failsafes, and a plan.

On the other hand, I should feel powerful and victorious when engaging with the mobs – easy-mode feeling gameplay is awesome to me!

The best (from my perspective) MMO I have ever played is City of Heroes/Villains. I would grind newspaper/radio missions from 1 to 50, then shelve the character and make a new one. Each character felt brand new – even ones within the same class, like Corruptor – because there were so many many many ways to build such a character.

Plus City had a LOT going for it: TONS of character build options, allowing me to bring over 30 characters to 50 over the 8 years of playing it, making each one feel like completely a different journey. Cool travel powers, and cool invisibility powers that even a mob 45 levels over you could not see through. Super personalization of not only your costume, but your powers effect styles! Invention Origin Enhancements that could dramatically increase your effectiveness. And more sizzle and glorious battle (even with its somewhat dated graphics) – a full player pickup team of 8 versus a group of mobs nearly always felt epic! And I hardly ever died in City!

City could be a little Pay2Win, but I have NO problem with Pay2Win if the prices are reasonable. If I could pay $5/week for supplies that boosted my character from great to godlike, I would do so. So a cash shop that sells boosters for offense, defense, etc is just another great tool. I am an adult making $92/hour, I can afford to pay a reasonable surcharge for extra fun.

Likewise, I don’t care if there is a subscription monthly fee or not. I just want to have the kind of fun I’ve described above.

So what game is open to players RIGHT NOW (I know new super games are coming along later) that can satisfy the basic fun-first playstyle I am looking for, and sustain it over time?

Thanks.

Comments

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

lol is there anything you do like??

easy mode is whats wrong with alot of games now adays IMO

good luck on your game finding quest

• SindyrSindyr Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by voltt

lol is there anything you do like??

You are one of those who reply without reading fully the post to which you are *theoretically* replying, aren't you?

Had you read it, you would have been able to answer your own question: City of Heroes.

Originally posted by voltt

easy mode is whats wrong with alot of games now adays IMO

Well, that's utterly off topic now, isn't it? This is not a thread asking what you like, lol.

Why did you bother to post at all?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I'd say Rift. Fit for the " *don’t* want " section, and the theory-crafting part below. Not too hard, not too fast levelling, etc.
    Thanks, I'll put that on the list.
  • black_ifritblack_ifrit Member Posts: 45
    I don't think mmo's are for you i would try Dragon Age: Inquisition or Divinity: Original Sin.
  • TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

Guild Wars 2

its the very definition of "casual" mmo.

Theres no endgame grind because it has no endgame, you don't 'have' to group with others. You can aim how you want. You can dodge but you never have to cause things hit you like your in a pillow fight and all classes can self heal.

Its very easy to play and your pretty bad if you die. You have lots of ranged classes and the art style is really nice and nothing like wow.

Can't remember all the other stuff but this definately sounds like a good option for you. The character creation is very in depth as well.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Let me preface this by saying, most of your dislikes are my likes, so I'm not the best at this.

Anyway, have you thought of giving Heros and Villagers a try?  I have not played it, but read the MMORPG review that was up a few weeks ago and seems to be something you might enjoy.

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/33353/Villagers-and-Heroes-Building-a-Niche.html (mmo review)

http://www.villagersandheroes.com/play/  (actual website)

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Thanks for all the great suggestions, taking notes here. :)
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Yeah I would highly recommend Guild Wars 2 based on your don't likes. It has everything you don't like, but it also doesn't force you to do any of it.

It's a very solo friendly face roll game. However, it does have action combat which is a don't like for you which might be a deal breaker.

To combat that though, my cousin started playing and he literally sucks worse than anyone I have ever seen and he still face rolls the content.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    try everquest 2 (if you get over the dont like melee, try shadowknight, it is totaly op for first like 90 levels)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

It seems what you are looking for is a replacement for COH, or a game very close to it in terms of design, and I'm not so sure such a title exists. 

Just like SWG, DAOC, EVE, UO, AO or GW1 all were a bit unique, due to the huge shift in the industry to follow the EQ/WOW design there really hasn't been many decent follow ups to any of these different design paths, they are more one and done I'm afraid.

Good luck in your search for a new game, in my case I've pretty much given up and will be staying with EVE for the long haul.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I say give GW2 or Dragon Age Inquisition a try.  I am not sure anything will match your list perfectly but I do hope you find a game you like and enjoy.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

maybe this will come to pass:

http://cityoftitans.com/

The Phoenix Project is the working title of a spiritual successor to the MMO City of Heroes, being put together by a group of volunteer developers left homeless by the closure of the game. We are a virtual studio of volunteers who have come together to create a new MMO full of heroes, vigilantes and villains, taking the principles of what made City of Heroes so special, and expanding and improving upon them to create a brand new world for you to play in.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

I just downloaded and installed Dragon Age Inquisition. It's not an MMO but it will kill some time for me as I look for an MMO. With the trainer, it's quite fun. Being invulnerable is cool.

I was one of the head cheerleaders and original backers of the City of Titans kickstarter. I also look forward with great interest to Heroes and Villains, Valiance Online, and the hopeful return of CoH itself. However, none of those things will come to pass for a good long time, which is why I am here looking for ideas.  Luckily, you guys have lots of ideas!

Thanks.