Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sucks being low level in this game.

HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
I've been playing mmo's since Anarchy Online beta. And i have never died so much at the early levels like i do in this game. Even with dodging around. And it also sucks to be new to the game as you will see low level players decked out in amazing gear and on mounts at level 6 which says to me they are alts. I'm level 7 and still in crappy gear that i get as quest drops or reward.  I still have level 4 gear on and a level 2 cloth belt and i'm a DK.  I keep asking if i'm missing something and all i get is it will get better at level 20 and up. I spend all my gold repairing my crappy armor.  I have 26 days left of my free month but so far i don't know if i'll renew. Low level players shouldn't be frustrated getting threw quest because they are kissing the floor  every other quest.  It does not make for a good first impression. Now if i'm wrong and not getting something i will listen to advice from vet.players willing to help. I'm a big TES fan and want to like this game. The world is amazing.

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Those moments you truly don't know weather you should laugh or cry..
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What class / weapon are you playing? I've played them all so maybe I can help
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    To OP I'm having no such problems, Its about adjusting a little from the brain dead levelling you get in other MMO. the golden rules are 1) have a crowd control skill on your bar, 2) before tackling a group make sure you are not going to walk backwards into a pack and finally don't take on more than you can handle - use pots if you are in a tight spot.

Simple :)

Ps gear wise Craft your own as you go.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Make sure you start out doing all the quest. If you are new to game do not skip the starter zone and go straight to a capital city. There are some good quest, shards, and starter gear in those starting zones. Equip any type of gear you find regarless of light, medium or heavy until you get a complete set of which ever type you want to wear. I have a Heavy Armor Magica DK and never had any problems.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Iselin

I made a DK and he's using 2h weapon and bow. Only level 7 now. Any advice would be great and thank you.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    To OP I'm having no such problems, Its about adjusting a little from the brain dead levelling you get in other MMO. the golden rules are 1) have a crowd control skill on your bar, 2) before tackling a group make sure you are not going to walk backwards into a pack and finally don't take on more than you can handle - use pots if you are in a tight spot.

Lol, the leveling in this game is every bit as easy as any other game.  I had zero issues leveling up, and found deaths to be very rare.  I'm not sure why you are implying that it requires more skill or mental acuity to stay alive than any other MMO, because it doesn't.  

To the OP---don't attack many mobs at once.  Use your dodge.  Easy as hell.  

Originally posted by Jockan
    Make sure you start out doing all the quest. If you are new to game do not skip the starter zone and go straight to a capital city. There are some good quest, shards, and starter gear in those starting zones. Equip any type of gear you find regarless of light, medium or heavy until you get a complete set of which ever type you want to wear. I have a Heavy Armor Magica DK and never had any problems.

Man i don't know if i should reroll. I just have gear i get from rewards or drops. Didn't think about crafting stuff at this level yet. Still trying to figure out how to play. Thank you for you post. I will take any help i can get.

Originally posted by Varex12
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

Lol, the leveling in this game is every bit as easy as any other game.  I had zero issues leveling up, and found deaths to be very rare.  I'm not sure why you are implying that it requires more skill or mental acuity to stay alive than any other MMO, because it doesn't.  

To the OP---don't attack many mobs at once.  Use your dodge.  Easy as hell.  

Thanks i need to rebind dodge to something better than double tapping.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Hariken

I made a DK and he's using 2h weapon and bow. Only level 7 now. Any advice would be great and thank you.

DKs have the best survivabilty in game. At level 7 though you may not have those skills. You should have dark talons and cleave though. Get standard of might asap. 

AoE situations talons and cleave will be all you need. Use until you can drop you banner. At level 15 you will be able to swap weapons. Until you get dragons blood and/or able to swap to a restro staff use the cheap healing potions.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

DKs have the best survivabilty in game. At level 7 though you may not have those skills. You should have dark talons and cleave though. Get standard of might asap. 

AoE situations talons and cleave will be all you need. Use until you can drop you banner. At level 15 you will be able to swap weapons. Until you get dragons blood and/or able to swap to a restro staff use the cheap healing potions.

Thank you bc

I will do this. Also just found out before turning in quest to switch out weapon and armore loadout to level the secondary stuff faster. Do you agree?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by bcbully

Thank you bc

I will do this. Also just found out before turning in quest to swith out weapon and armore loadout to level the secondary stuff faster. Do you agree?

Yep, whatever skills/armor you want to level put it on your bar and body before you turn in. The more skills from a particular skill line the faster that skill line levels. Same goes for armor. The more of a type you have on the faster it will level. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by deniter
    Those moments you truly don't know weather you should laugh or cry..

I chose to smile wryly and move on.

Thank you for the help guys.

1st... like the guy above said, don't avoid the starter area. You use to actually start there but then some notorious reviewers whined about how that area was not "open" enough so they started you off in the level 6-7 area but gave you the option to go back to the starter area and do that. Make sure you do.

2. This game depends on you getting and using skill points. Some of those come from leveling, but you can also get them from skyshards and quest rewards. make sure you pick-up all skyshards as you go along because you need those skill points especially early on. You'll get many more skill points than levels so by level 10 you could easily have 18 or so.... that helps make you more powerful.

3. Weapon damage for everything except staves is based on Stamina and all class abilities scale the damage off magicka. In the early levels, you should be favoring one or the other - if you try to do both too early you can run out of the resource you need in the middle of  a fight.

4. You only need a 2nd weapon after level 15 when you can weapon swap and get a 2nd skill bar. Until then, stick to one and learn to use it effectively.

5. Bows really shine if you open with them from stealth using a strong attack (hold the left MB until the draw is complete) from the back or side of a mob. That gives you a criitical and stuns it. Also early on the bow is mostly single target so you want to pick and choose what you fight.

6. 2HD weapons start you off with an AOE skill and the 2nd one is a charge - it's a bit easier for dealing with groups early.

7. Class ability lines level-up only if you have one of those abilities on your skill bar. For that reason, early on you'll want to have at least one ability form each of the 3 DK branches on your bar,,,even if you don't use it much.

8. I'd recommend you have Dark Talons from Draconic power as your CC... which also nicely happens to be multitarget and deal damage, Searing Strike from Ardent flame is a good direct damage + DOT ability and Molten Weapon from Earthen Heart for a very nice self and group weapon + damage buff that will make all your left-click attacks really sting... My DK still usesthat buff in the VR ranks.

9. Also don't forget the passives - especially Kindling from Ardent Flame which will increase all fire damage you do (and that's pretty well the only type of damage you do from abilities) by 33%.

10. Use whatever type of armor you find and try to get enough mats to craft yourself a helm, belt and shoulders since those are the more rare drops and you don't get any as quest rewards early.

11. But don't put any points into armor passives until you decide what you want to emphasize: light armor boosts magicka, Leather Stamina and Heavy Health recovery.

Now this one is just a friendly tip... DKs really shine when using a fire staff especially early and fire staves have a couple of abilites that almost trivialize PVE and lets you solo many bosses - the ability is Destructive Touch which knocks back + stuns a single target. My suggestion, while you're learning everything else about the game (where the skyshards are, aggro radius, stealth usage, etc.) is to use that fire staff instead of Bow or 2-HD. You can always switch to whichever weapons you want later on, but early on, the fire staff pretty well makes DKs gods.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Thank you Iselin for your post. Got info in there.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP. I'm assuming you are referring to your pve experiences.

ESO is a game where you can control what you wear....BY CRAFTING

you can also craft great weapons....if you wish

IF you you don't want to craft visit vendors scattered all over the world

ESO is  a game where you have to "work" to achieve what you want.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    My Bow NB is new.... no crutches... I think I died 3 times between 1-10.  1 of which was a fatal error of the application and thus shouldn't count.  1 was a respawn where I took a phone call in the middle of a cavern.. my bad.  The other was a legitimate WTF... I ran up to what apparently was a dark anchor.. and it spawned on top of me.  Whoops.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Please don't play fire staff dk. That's like turning on godmode. I refuse to use a staff on my dk!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Wellcome to ESO, where skill is required to make things work for you...   even at higher levels, certain builds just dont work well...  thats something that comes with the system, many skills are very situational or just shine in a certain setup..

Be prepared to kiss the floor in this game, its easy to overpull and attackt adds

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Everyone likes something different.

You hate that you die in a video game, I cant play the leveling part of games like World of Warcraft because you would have to try REALLY hard to actually get urself killed which just makes the leveling dull.

I miss old school gaming, so many games nowadays require no skill at all...

Originally posted by fivoroth
    Please don't play fire staff dk. That's like turning on godmode. I refuse to use a staff on my dk!

It's not godmode in the hands of someone brand spanking new to the game. It would just let him play and enjoy without the frustration of constantly dying. Which is what he's looking for. Once he has the basics down, he can play whatever he wants - even the 2-HD + bow he started with.

Also... it's not quite as godly as it used to be at release: it's been toned down noticeably. The real new godmode is the healer/tank Templar with resto / shield... tough to die with that one at any level.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• IridescentJoeIridescentJoe Member Posts: 89

The fire staff DK is not OP, just that a lot of players joined the vampire bus and now they are QQing because they can't face roll. If you are a vampire you have the option to run away from DKs or give it a try. Sometimes running away is better.

As far as low levels go, I didn't have a problem at lower levels but noticed some players didn't followed the first quest you get right after getting out of Coldharbor. New players should be forced to do the starter areas. Actually it was like that but as always, the devs listened to the crybabies.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Mexican jumping fish! I love those things.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    IDK I found Mage with Surge and impule and batswarm best at tanking big groups of mobs in dungeons . Except fire mobs still with a good templar you may suvive
  • HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234

Since launch, my first (and still main) was a Bosmer Nightblade stamina build using a bow. Stamina builds as well as Bows have since been buffed a bit to be more competitive with magicka builds but still it was a serious challenge for a long time until you can unlock a lot of your skills and morphs.

Looking back it would had been easier to level with the same race/class but using a different build and then switching later but I was determined to use a stamina build and as a result I am very good at managing the weaknesses of the build. The best aspect of this game is the flexibility but it can also get you lost not knowing which skill is the best to support what you are after so don't be afraid of switching to a cloth magicka build and then to a magika plate build or something else. There are a lot of options to try so if something doesn't work out maybe switch gear or give it more time.

A couple of tips:

1. When leveling I would enter a new zone and race around on my mount to get all the skyshards to help speed my build completion before I tackle the zone's content.
    2. Use addons to improve your game experience to help reduce frustration so you can focus on playing your character. Some addons I use are: Skyshards, Lost Treasure and Wykkyd's Suite. They will help you with things alike finding all skyshards, lorebooks (for leveling with the Mage's guild), auto repairing your gear when you shop from an NPC and an improve quest tracker. Head to http://www.esoui.com/ for addons. Most other sites aren't updated nearly as often or have been outright abandoned.
    3. Try to keep your gear within 4 levels of your character and try to always have 1 piece of each type of the other armors to level them at the same time. So if your a DK wearing plate, wear 5 plate (heavy) and 1 cloth (light) and 1 leather (medium).
    4. You can put skills on your hotbar to level the skill line even if you can't use them with your current weapon. So say you're using a 2 hander and you're doing fine with 4 usable skills on you hotbar. If you've taken a little time to unlock the first healing spell from the Resto staff you can slot that skill in the 5th slot and it will level while you use the 2 hander. Later down the line when you do want to us a resto staff it will be ready to go.
    5. Magma armor is the best ultimate for bad situations and basically gives you godly protection for 12 seconds.

Playing: varies every day it seems.